• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for March 2013 [Up5: BioShock Infinite]

bill0527

It's OK, I doubt Wii U owners have the Wii U as their primary console anyway.

Yeah I planned on clearing out all my systems for some next gen $$$$ when WiiU launched and hoping WiiU would be a nice stop gap until next gen hits. Let Live Gold expire and then got rid of my 360. Went to sell my PS3, then had a feeling that just maaaaaaybe I better hang on to something in case this third party thing on the WiiU doesn't work out this year. That was a wise decision.

Probably. Nintendo makes excellent games, and seemingly indestructible hardware, but it seems like they lack logic when it comes to system launches and third party relations. I'm sure the Wii U will be fine, and the situation rectified moving forward, but Nintendo should definitely take a long, hard look at what went wrong with the 3DS and Wii U launches for future reference. Never trust third parties again when it comes to the launch of a new system, that's for sure.

What 3rd party game released between November and now would have significantly moved Wii hardware in that time period? Far Cry? Crysis? DmC? Metal Gear Revengance? Or Bioshock and Tomb Raider, both with entrenched fanbases on Xbox and Playstation, respectively?

Lego City, NFS, and MonHun (and Rayman, before the delay) were supposed to be the "big fish in the small pond", but it looks more like they simply flopped.

liger05

:lol

Why am I laughing, I bought the Wii U at launch and only have NSMBU + Nintendoland. At least I don't have to buy any Wii U games until Aug 4.

I was telling someone at work today about all the 3DS games coming and then he asked me whats the next wii u game I will be getting and I simply said told him to look on Game FAQS and then revisit that question.

I don't know how much those would do. A big part of the fitness thing for Wii was motion controls. They can still use motion controls on the Wii U but the Gamepad would likely be a big focus. Plus, how many people are going to dump $300-350 for another fitness game when they're still available for the Wii and 360? The Wii U also doesn't have a strong casual hook (or much of a hook at all) like the Wii either.

But it's like Nintendo isn't even attempting to capture that same market. They made a song and dance about attracting those 'hardcore' audiences with third party relations, we got a load of late 360/PS3 ports and then there's been barely anything, and there still continues to be barely anything from Nintendo either. If they're sitting on a load of stuff until the holiday then screw them, I got my Wii U at launch in the UK and I've not switched the damn thing on since before Christmas.

Metallix87

What 3rd party game released between November and now would have significantly moved Wii hardware in that time period? Far Cry? Crysis? DmC? Metal Gear Revengance? Or Bioshock and Tomb Raider, both with entrenched fanbases on Xbox and Playstation, respectively?

Lego City, NFS, and MonHun (and Rayman, before the delay) were supposed to be the "big fish in the small pond", but it looks more like they simply flopped.

The point isn't for them to significantly move Wii U hardware. The point is to keep a steady stream of releases coming to avoid a drought, since droughts tend to have a detrimental affect on system ecosystems. Those titles may not have sold as well on Wii U as on 360 and/or PS3, but they would've shown that Wii U is alive and a viable system for core gamers.

The hilarious thing- that list is actually significantly stronger than Japan, which is the one region you would think Nintendo wouldn't fuck up.

No.

America has always been Nintendo's largest market.

The fact that they've screwed up here is much worse. Wii only sold 12 million units in Japan versus 42 million here. Nintendo hasn't had a huge dominating home console presence in Japan since they were the only real game in town. In terms of market leaders Wii is at a 4 million unit deficit with the PS2 in America, and 8 million units in Japan.

Screwing up to the degree they have in America is the shocker. The thing is tracking lower than the GCN. And America had by far the largest userbase of any region that platform released in.

Tagg9

I'm sure all of the franchises you mentioned (Crysis, MGR, Bioshock, TR, etc.) would have sold less than 50k on Wii U (hell, some less than 10K), but it would have encouraged current Wii U owners to stick with it.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
That's not a good way to determine anything.
The 3DS revenue in 2012 was probably lower, since there were many retailers selling below MSRP.

Mmh. I remember jvm having a database for amount of money spent per unit too. jvm, were are you?

liger05

No.

The fact that they've screwed up here is much worse. Wii only sold 12 million units in Japan versus 42 million here. Nintendo hasn't had a huge dominating home console presence in Japan since they were the only real game in town. In terms of market leaders Wii is at a 4 million unit deficit with the PS2 in America, and 8 million units in Japan.

Screwing up to the degree they have in America is the shocker. The thing is tracking lower than the GCN. And America had by far the largest userbase of any region the platform released in.

True but while western third party support was never guaranteed I did think they would be ok in Japan.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
No.

My point is more that Nintendo has always been focused very heavily on Japan with its efforts, and with a few exceptions seems to have better relationships with Japanese 3rd parties than with Western ones- sales numbers aside, Nintendo is still a very Japanese centric company and to see them fumble so bad in Japan is a shock to me.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
didn't they sell over 100 million consoles last gen? how do you get gen to gen?

edited in about the Wii anomaly, but with figures on all Nintendo home consoles, they mostly drop about 10 million a generation with the Wii obvious being a pretty big anomaly to the Gamecube's like 21 million.

WiiU is tracking behind Gamecube, and may even experience a more savage drop off after the Mario 3D and Kart rescue parties, so that it could crawl in anywhere between 15 million and 18 million.

150 million is the DS total to beat, but I personally can't see 3DS reaching close to 100 million at this rate. Everything a slipping downwards.

True but while western third party support was never guaranteed I did think they would be ok in Japan.

Now this is the real shocking thing about the WiiU situation.

I figured a good chunk of Japanese devs would relish reusing variations of the tech they've spent years developing.

No.

Screwing up to the degree they have in America is the shocker. The thing is tracking lower than the GCN. And America had by far the largest userbase of any region that platform released in.
I think he's referring more to dev support than sales. Let's face it, the Wii U was never going to get meaningful Western dev support once we learned of its specs relative to the PS4/720. Japanese support was its best hope of getting some good 3rd party support and it's actually looking worse than the Western support right now.

Busaiku

Since we've got all this confusion about "sales" going on, wouldn't the Bioshock Infinite minimum be an uncertainty too?

TheNatural

My Member!
No.

More problematic is Nintendo's big franchises didn't even save Gamecube. It had one decent surge when Double Dash came out and that was about it. And it wasn't competing on both budget and next gen ends against 4 consoles like the Wii U will be.

There's nothing to indicate outside of a holiday surge that major franchises will save this system in the grand scheme of things.

FoneBone

Since we've got all this confusion about "sales" going on, wouldn't the Bioshock Infinite minimum be an uncertainty too?

Don't see how, when it launched at the same price point as Bioshock 2.
More problematic is Nintendo's big franchises didn't even save Gamecube. It had one decent surge when Double Dash came out and that was about it. And it wasn't competing on both budget and next gen ends against 4 consoles like the Wii U will be.

There's nothing to indicate outside of a holiday surge that major franchises will save this system in the grand scheme of things.
Also the Double Dash surge came at around the same time as the $99 price drop, IIRC.

liger05

It's sure as hell going to be fun on the 24th.

tumblr_mj9cow0TE81rldarto1_500.gif

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

Historically speaking NPD has rarely talked about dollar sales for software (sans games that come bundled with toys like Skylanders), whereas they do that on a somewhat regular basis with hardware.

I imagine this is because software generally comes in one price for the vast majority of sales whereas it's not uncommon to have multiple SKUs of consoles andhandhelds these days, sometimes with significant price differentiation.

Petrae

Just once, I'd like someone in the gaming press to ask Satoru Iwata what his internal development teams have been doing for the last 2+ years when it comes to Wii U.

None of this "Please understand" business. It's not like this platform being released should have been a surprise. More games needed to be ready, and in shorter order. Was it because the HD transition was too difficult? Was it because more focus needed to be on 3DS development and resources were thin? Was it mismanagement? There has to be a reason for this kind of awful showing.

Regardless of what we think about the Wii U, it should be faring better. These numbers are a joke for a new platform that's following a big success like the Wii. In my eyes, someone should be held accountable, whether it's Iwata, Fils-Aime, or someone else.

I think he's referring more to dev support than sales. Let's face it, the Wii U was never going to get meaningful Western dev support once we learned of its specs relative to the PS4/720. Japanese support was its best hope of getting some good 3rd party support and it's actually looking worse than the Western support right now.
It's definitely weird, but kind of a fools gambit.

Console development in the Japanese space is largely becoming about what the west wants. And while the west seemed to want the Wii, they also wanted game types that most developers aren't suited to developing.

Home console development in Japan is probably working on PS4 right now, and Durango by virtue of similar hardware approaches.
I still think it's possible that TGS 2013 ends up pretty good for Wii U in this respect.
I will not hold my breath.

Metallix87

Just once, I'd like someone in the gaming press to ask Satoru Iwata what his internal development teams have been doing for the last 2+ years when it comes to Wii U.

None of this "Please understand" business. It's not like this platform being released should have been a surprise. More games needed to be ready, and in shorter order. Was it because the HD transition was too difficult? Was it because more focus needed to be on 3DS development and resources were thin? Was it mismanagement? There has to be a reason for this kind of awful showing.

Regardless of what we think about the Wii U, it should be faring better. These numbers are a joke for a new platform that's following a big success like the Wii. In my eyes, someone should be held accountable, whether it's Iwata, Fils-Aime, or someone else.

I think it's likely that a great deal of resources were shifted onto the 3DS when things looked dire for it, and Iwata likely assumed that Wii U wouldn't struggles as much when it launched with Mario.

The point isn't for them to significantly move Wii U hardware. The point is to keep a steady stream of releases coming to avoid a drought, since droughts tend to have a detrimental affect on system ecosystems. Those titles may not have sold as well on Wii U as on 360 and/or PS3, but they would've shown that Wii U is alive and a viable system for core gamers.

That's Nintendo's job to space out releases, not 3rd parties. Pikmin, W101, Game & Wario, and Wii Fit were all supposed to be out by Q2 at the latest. I think maybe 1 out of 4 will be out before August. Nintendo had to have known as early as last fall that this was going to be their lineup for Q1, with maybe Metro, Crysis, Rayman, and Aliens: CM filling in the blanks (and cancellations/delays being out of their control). You either fill in the gaps with first party content (the Sony strategy), or go big on advertising the 3rd party games you do have (the MS strategy).

I still think it's possible that TGS 2013 ends up pretty good for Wii U in this respect.

But those same games will probably be available for PS3 as well (at the very least) and would sell more on that platform too. Unless Nintendo moneyhat a load of third party exclusives I can't see bigger publishers going Wii U exclusive (it'd be multi-platform) and I can't see small developers relying only on the Wii U, when it's selling so poorly.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.

Iwata has already given an answer pertaining to such a question. It seems they came across problems switching to HD development during 2012, but "have recently corrected that issue".

Where are Wii U numbers?

Iwata has already given an answer pertaining to such a question. It seems they came across problems switching to HD development during 2012, but "have recently corrected that issue".

I have no idea what this means. Problems like what? Like, oh god we forgot we were supposed to be making games?

Jamix012

People keep saying this like it's the gospel but there are so many huge factors in the Wii U's favour that weren't in the Gamecubes. Firstly It's not releasing a year after it's main competition and secondly and more importantly the franchises it had on the gamecube have grown hugely since then. Super Mario is a far bigger name than it was back then: thanks to the popularity of games like MK and NSMB. Animal crossing is also far bigger. Not to mention the Wii line of game themselves are now in Nintendo's court. Sure they may not as huge, but even if they drop 80% of sales from the Wii generation they'll still be million sellers and huge wind in the sales of the Wii U.
Don't get me wrong: it won't be a roaring success but I still expect it to surpass the Gamecube and also the Nintendo 64 for these reasons alone.

Bullza2o

When Microsoft makes a comment like that they're referencing the individual SKU rankings we're not given access to.
After all, you can find a 360 version in 7 of the multi-SKU Top 10 this month. So it is worth boasting about.

Oh alright. I would also assume that the 360 version is the better-selling SKU overall.

Scum

But we already know exactly what Iwata will say.

"I apologize for the software drought"
"Please understand the situation"
"3D Mario and Mario Kart at E3"
"Pikmin 3 will increase install base"

Ha ha ha...ha....yeah that certainly won't be pretty yet part of me can't wait.

I wish him all the best in front off the grilling he's going to receive. I'm interested in whatever plan Iwata has for the WiiU and hope he spills the beans next week...

Top Bottom