• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for March 2013 [Up5: BioShock Infinite]

The 3DS thing gives us a minimum and maximum, since we know the revenue amount (I assume?).

Minimum unit sales is if all were the XL (more expensive). Max if all were the regular 3DS.

Someone feel like computing it?

Daingurse

Don't underestimate this killer release list until September.

05/21 Fast & Furious: Showdown
LEGO Batman 2: DC Super Heroes
Resident Evil: Revelations
05/24 Sniper Elite V2

06/23 Game & Wario

07/16 Turbo: Super Stunt Squad
07/23 The Smurfs 2

08/04 Pikmin 3
08/06 Disney Planes
08/20 Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Blacklist

tumblr_lvht25goFT1r72wpmo1_400.gif

I honestly pity you Wii-U owners. Nintendo is doing you guys wrong.

antonz

The 3DS thing gives us a minimum and maximum, since we know the revenue amount (I assume?).

Minimum unit sales is if all were the XL (more expensive). Max if all were the regular 3DS.

Its tough to crack because near the end of the month both OG and XL got massive cuts 159 and 129 respectively. This puts it well below typical pricing. So how lopsided were sales pre the weeklong sale etc

Metallix87

Did Nintendo say anything at all regarding giving "space" for 3rd party games to breathe during the Wii U launch? Seems like this is all based on PR speak from the middle of the Wii generation, during THAT long drought.

They said as much about the 3DS launch, and then added later that they learned from THAT launch for the Wii U launch (which is why Mario was out on day 1 for Wii U). They haven't really commented on that strategy since the launch of the Wii U AFAIK, and likely for good reason.

In the end, it all amounts to this: Third party developers are important, yes, but you need to be able to have your system stand tall without them, since they can abandon ship at any time, or can backstab you at a moment's notice.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Dat shit list. I'm sure they'll throw some things in there, but it's a sad sight.

The hilarious thing- that list is actually significantly stronger than Japan, which is the one region you would think Nintendo wouldn't fuck up.

That's going to be tough to get meaningful numbers from since there was a week where both SKUs went on sale and we don't know how many hardware units were sold during that week.

Schnozberry

Oh so... possibly not good 3DS numbers.

That is not a good future unfolding before them.

This time, Nintendo really IS fucking doomed.

They can coast along for a decade or more losing money at a greater rate than they have been for the last 18 months. The weaker yen will help some, too. The Wii U launch was botched, but I think people are too quick to dismiss what is to come from Nintendo and too quick to assume that Sony and Microsoft will hit the right cost/benefit ratio and get mass adoption right from launch.

Nintendo isn't doomed, but the Wii U is in a bad spot. It's way too early to assume the new consoles will rocket out of then gate as well. Thus time next year will be an interesting comparison.

There is hope for Monster Hunter!

Callahan added that "with solid performances of new games like Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon, Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity, and Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, 3DS software sales increased over 50% from last March.” He also noted that "based on the launch of BioShock Infinite and continued strength of NBA 2K13, software sales for Take 2 Interactive were the highest for any March since The NPD Group began tracking retail sales (1995).”​

Castlevania also released in March, and it wasn't mentioned there, so it must have bombed, but MH3U doesn't seem to have bombed for the 3DS!!!
omg omg omg omg omg omg

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
The hilarious thing- that list is actually significantly stronger than Japan, which is the one region you would think Nintendo wouldn't fuck up.

Are you implying Resident Evil: Revelations, Rabbidslands, Lego City, and Pikmin 3 is not a strong 3-4 month line-up!?! :p

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
That Wii U press release is an absolute joke. What a bunch of clowns.

There are next to no releases until Pikmin 3 in August which is hardly a heavy-hitting title. 4 months. What the fuck are they doing over there?

Metallix87

They can coast along for a decade or more losing money at a greater rate than they have been for the last 18 months. The weaker yen will help some, too. The Wii U launch was botched, but I think people are too quick to dismiss what is to come from Nintendo and too quick to assume that Sony and Microsoft will hit the right cost/benefit ratio and get mass adoption right from launch.

Nintendo isn't doomed, but the Wii U is in a bad spot. It's way too early to assume the new consoles will rocket out of then gate as well. Thus time next year will be an interesting comparison.

Indeed. Nintendo has plenty of opportunity to turn this around, and I think the titles they have in the pipeline for the Wii U are very solid. I'm hoping that E3 and TGS are very good to the system.

schuelma

Are you implying Resident Evil: Revelations, Rabbidslands, Lego City, and Pikmin 3 is not a strong 3-4 month line-up!?! :p

You forgot Injustice and F1 All Stars!!

Those are killer apps in Japan!!

I still don't understand why the Wii U doesn't have its own Wii Fit/Sports games yet. Those were like, HUGE, for the Wii - what are you doing Nintendo.

Hiltz

Seriously, Wii U's gotta have a price drop coming. I don't see how Nintendo or retailers are going to want to see another 4-5 months of such poor sales. I know a price drop alone isn't going to be enough, but what choice does Nintendo have at this point? PS3 didn't even have it this bad ,and it had a $600 excuse. Back in March 2007, PS3 sold 130k units according to NPD sales. However, it had its worst sales in April and May with 82k units each. In the first quarter of 2007, PS3 sold half a million units.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!

Well...

March 2012 - 225k x 169.99 = 38.247.750$
March 2013 - 41.690.047$ (+9%); :199.99 = 208k.

You know what? I think due to 3DS OG being counted, as well as the deal for the end of the month, it could still be up even if the comment refers to dollar spending.

I dont want to be a party pooper, but just because Bioshock charted at #1 doesn't make it a success whatsoever.

If it did sell at the estimated 650k i do feel the industry (mostly publishers) would view it as a failure, and the result is less games of its nature and more games like fucking COD.

Now the painful wait for the official numbers...

Since it's the biggest launch in franchise history and BioShock 2 sold over 750K in its first month back then, I think Infinite did not too shabby.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.

A declining userbase generation on generation (Wii the anomaly) is something that paints a pretty bleak future. Perhaps doubling down in strength on an HD handheld will help them increase a little again and keep on trucking, but money in the bank aint worth shit if your market is slowly disappearing while you use it as a swimming pool.

schuelma

I still don't understand why the Wii U doesn't have its own Wii Fit/Sports games yet. Those were like, HUGE, for the Wii - what are you doing Nintendo.

I am convinced Wii Fit U is done- I mean that isn't exactly a graphical showcase that would struggle to transition to HD.

They have to be holding it back.

Its tough to crack because near the end of the month both OG and XL got massive cuts 159 and 129 respectively. This puts it well below typical pricing. So how lopsided were sales pre the weeklong sale etc

That's going to be tough to get meaningful numbers from since there was a week where both SKUs went on sale and we don't know how many hardware units were sold during that week.

Well...

You know what? I think due to 3DS OG being counted, as well as the deal for the end of the month, it could still be up after all.

Ah, good point(s). I didn't realize they went on sale.

liger05

The Japanese one from day 1 has been nothing short of a joke. Either 3rd parties were on board and then bailed leaving nintendo scrambling or its just utter incompetence. How the Japanese release list has managed to be worse than a shocking western schedule is an amazement in itself.

Busaiku

Well...

You know what? I think due to 3DS OG being counted, as well as the deal for the end of the month, it could still be up after all.

That's not a good way to determine anything.
The 3DS revenue in 2012 was probably lower, since there were many retailers selling below MSRP.

Linkhero1

I don't think there's been any noise in Japan regarding the Wii U at all. Whatever happened to the 3rd party Wii u game announcements? I really hope they have it together by E3.

pixlexic

Banned
A declining userbase generation on generation is something that paints a pretty bleak future. Perhaps doubling down in strength on an HD handheld will help them increase a little again and keep on trucking, but money in the bank aint worth shit if your market is slowly disappearing while you use it as a swimming pool.

didn't they sell over 100 million consoles last gen? how do you get gen to gen?

RedSwirl

Also, weren't Wii U Fit and Wii U Party planned for a summer release? What happened to them?

And 101. Still hoping, but who the hell knows at this point? Fall release are probably intruding on (probable) 3D Mario and Mario Kart territory.

Soriku

I don't know how much those would do. A big part of the fitness thing for Wii was motion controls. They can still use motion controls on the Wii U but the Gamepad would likely be a big focus. Plus, how many people are going to dump $300-350 for another fitness game when they're still available for the Wii and 360? The Wii U also doesn't have a strong casual hook (or much of a hook at all) like the Wii either.

schuelma

The Japanese one from day 1 has been nothing short of a joke. Either 3rd parties were on board and then bailed leaving nintendo scrambling or its just utter incompetence. How the Japanese release list has managed to be worse than a shocking western schedule is an amazement in itself.

I still contend the actual launch lineup for Japan was fine. It was the post launch lineup that is terrible.

NotLiquid

Seriously, Wii U's gotta have a price drop coming. I don't see how Nintendo or retailers are going to want to see another 4-5 months of such poor software sales. PS3 didn't even have it this bd and it had a $600 excuse. Back in March 2007, Ps3 sold 130k units according to NPD sales. However, it had its worst sales in April and May with 82k units each. Of course, Wii U managed to sell even less than that.

No point in dropping price when there's no appealing software for it in sight right now. Continuous Vita drops in Japan is proving that much. Maybe after E3.

It's been kind of funny seeing how crazy bad Wii U is doing but at this point it's all just a terrible joke that I've grown impatient of, both as a Wii U owner and Nintendo fan.

Keyouta

Don't underestimate this killer release list until September.

05/21 Fast & Furious: Showdown
LEGO Batman 2: DC Super Heroes
Resident Evil: Revelations
05/24 Sniper Elite V2

06/23 Game & Wario

07/16 Turbo: Super Stunt Squad
07/23 The Smurfs 2

08/04 Pikmin 3
08/06 Disney Planes
08/20 Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Blacklist

:lol

Why am I laughing, I bought the Wii U at launch and only have NSMBU + Nintendoland. At least I don't have to buy any Wii U games until Aug 4.

Metallix87

Also, weren't Wii U Fit and Wii U Party planned for a summer release? What happened to them?

They are, as is The Wonderful 101. I'm guessing those three will be given release dates at E3.

I'm guessing that Wii U will see the following in 2013 in the West from Nintendo:

- Game & Wario
- Pikmin 3
- Wii Party U
- Wii Fit U
- The Wonderful 101
- The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker Reborn
- Yarn Yoshi
- Super Mario U
- Mario Kart U

The same will hold true for Japan, as well, though I think there's a slight chance they get X this year on top of those releases.

Top Bottom