• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for March 2013 [Up5: BioShock Infinite]

Tobor

I think they funded the whole game, so I don't think WB is missing out on that much.

As it's been said in this thread and other in the past, I don't think the potential is there for a LEGO game to do as well as the ones that feature popular licenses. Granted, none of the original games that have been put out have gotten pushes like LCU has, but I seriously doubt it's a coincidence that the games that have been released were done so during a time where those franchises had maximum visibility. It's a strange game for Nintendo to make a big deal out of, but given their relationship with WB appears to be quite strong, perhaps there wasn't much else they could.

At some point, the license thing is going to grow stale. It's in WB's best interest long term to build an original Lego IP. A flop on a dying console is not the way to go about it. Hopefully they've learned their lesson.

TheNatural

My Member!
I'm ok with that!!

The 3DS is currently my most played gaming machine. The more supoort, the better

Maybe as well just run Sony completely out of the handheld market now, make a new handheld in a couple years with a TV out or dock, and focus everything on that. Boom, hybrid console/handheld, problems solved.

Liam Callahan, NPD analyst, comments that Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate (3DS) sales are "a solid performance."

Liam Callahan said:
"With solid performances of new games like Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon, Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity, and Monster Hunter Ultimate 3, 3DS software sales increased over 50 percent from last March."

RedSwirl

What is even the point? If those numbers turn out to be accurate we're just gonna be going through the same shit again. Nothing has really changed since last month or even January. Same topics:

-Iwata/Miyamoto/Reggie resignation
-Price drop
-Kill the Wii U
-Rename it
-Launch a new console as early as next year
-Go 3rd party

The only thing that's changed is Monster Hunter and Lego City, and I was never pretending that those games along would resurrect the console. Let's just go ahead and admit that this shit ain't getting better until probably after E3. We shouldn't be surprised at all for the inevitable April, May, and June numbers.

Ridley327

At some point, the license thing is going to grow stale. It's in WB's best interest long term to build an original Lego IP. A flop on a dying console is not the way to go about it. Hopefully they've learned their lesson.

So WB decides to go with a different route with an original LEGO game (I can't believe I typed those words) than aping 70s cop films/shows (what kid would ever be interested in that?). That seems reasonable, no?

It's not like it was taking resources away from TT Games; LCU was made by TT Fusion, who typically work on the handheld versions of the main games.

Daingurse

wtf, dude, shut up

I don't know what else you would attribute to the Wii-U's debacle short of sheer incompetence.

Nintendo really thought they had something with the Wii-U because they lived in a bubble. The casual audience that made the Wii so successful is not coming back, and many core gamers like myself are waiting for Nintendo to actually release the games they want.

Nintendo reaps what they sow.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
What were they thinking making Lego City an exclusive? Did Nintendo moneyhat it?

I imagine at the time they signed the deal it didn't seem like a bad idea.

I mean looking at the success of the Wii and DS, especially among their target audience, guessing that the Wii U and 3DS with a strong co-marketing push from Nintendo could lead to great results doesn't seem unreasonable if you're looking at this from early 2011's perspective.

It's pretty sad when people hope for consoles to fail. I can understand crappy games but consoles...why?

If a console is promoting a vision you do not want to become the standard, then pulling for a console to not be successful I think is valid. Perhaps dude doesn't want a tablet controller to become normal. Perhaps dude things Nintendo mailed it in and deserves whatever fallout they get. Perhaps dude enjoys game forum carnage and if Nintendo brings it about, so be it. Perhaps I can fit one more use of the word perhaps in here.

Let's say Microsoft pulled some always-online nonsense and hypothetically even required XBL Gold just to be able to turn the daggum thing on. (hypothetical). Who wouldn't be pulling for that thing to go belly up?

Yeah it is pretty spiteful to just want a console to fail, but on the other hand if you don't like it and/or it sucks and it fails then something different will likely come along in the future. Hence why I'm rooting for Halo 4 to "fail" and have its multiplayer population drop as much as possible.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
It's pretty sad when people hope for consoles to fail. I can understand crappy games but consoles...why?

Less boxes to buy, more money in my pocket for games. Just think, owning only one piece of Nintendo tech next go-around is going to be all you'll need for each and every Nintendo game. £200 saved just for games!

Tobor

So WB decides to go with a different route with an original LEGO game (I can't believe I typed those words) than aping 70s cop films/shows (what kid would ever be interested in that?). That seems reasonable, no?

As long as it's available on systems people own, yes it seems reasonable.

I imagine at the time they signed the deal it didn't seem like a bad idea.

I mean looking at the success of the Wii and DS, especially among their target audience, guessing that the Wii U and 3DS with a strong co-marketing push from Nintendo could lead to great results doesn't seem unreasonable if you're looking at this from early 2011's perspective.

Fair point.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
It's good news for everyone who wants Iwata fired and Nintendo to return to greatness.

Greatness? You mean the GCN era when Mario was whored out even more and (outside of Windwaker) almost every single franchise since has seen a better installment released under Iwata?

Please gaming gods, bring us back Mario Party releases every year.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Less boxes to buy, more money in my pocket for games. Just think, owning only one piece of Nintendo tech next go-around is going to be all you'll need for each and every Nintendo game. £200 saved just for games!

Even if that is the way they go and Wii U fails, it will be years until we would see that.

The only thing that's changed is Monster Hunter and Lego City, and I was never pretending that those games along would resurrect the console.
Perhaps you weren't, but a lot of people had been pinning their hopes on "Well, there's actual software releasing next month."
Let's just go ahead and admit that this shit ain't getting better until probably after E3. We shouldn't be surprised at all for the inevitable April, May, and June numbers.
I really don't think a system can languish at 12K a week for half a year and make meaningful recovery. So I'm not sure what exactly people are expecting from E3.

Oddduck

Don't underestimate this killer release list until September.

05/21 Fast & Furious: Showdown
LEGO Batman 2: DC Super Heroes
Resident Evil: Revelations
05/24 Sniper Elite V2

06/23 Game & Wario

07/16 Turbo: Super Stunt Squad
07/23 The Smurfs 2

08/04 Pikmin 3
08/06 Disney Planes
08/20 Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Blacklist

Wow that list is so bare bones outside of Pikmin 3.

Yopis

Yeah it is pretty spiteful to just want a console to fail, but on the other hand if you don't like it and/or it sucks and it fails then something different will likely come along in the future. Hence why I'm rooting for Halo 4 to "fail" and have its multiplayer population drop as much as possible.

The times we live in man. Weird to me also honestly.

Scum

Maybe as well just run Sony completely out of the handheld market now, make a new handheld in a couple years with a TV out or dock, and focus everything on that. Boom, hybrid console/handheld, problems solved.

This is probably what NCL will be working towards in the future. Do a decent job with the WiiU and then dump it and move onto a miss mash of a console and handheld.

Greatness? You mean the GCN era when Mario was whored out even more and (outside of Windwaker) almost every single franchise since has seen a better installment released under Iwata?

Some competent Star Foxs and F-Zeros would be nice along with some new ip

Wow that list is so bare bones outside of Pikmin 3.

Made even worse by the fact that when the first ''big'' game comes out the full hypemachine for PS4/Durango has started.

Nintendo has a real uphill battle till the end of the year. It is not gonna be pretty.

Does the Wii U deserve to sell well with its current software lineup? How is it possible to go from being the market leader to this seemingly overnight? Nintendo has only itself to blame.
Your right Nintendo is to blame but not because of arrogance. The launched Wii U ill-equipped. Software (price) is the problem and thats the bottom line cause stone cold says so.

Blearth

Banned

I want Nintendo games without having to put up with Nintendo's terrible hardware and online infrastructure.

Imagine 3D Mario/Metroid/Smash on PS4/720.

Tobor

I'm rooting for a handheld only focus, maybe the often discussed hybrid handheld/console. They have the resources to do a great job if they only have to focus on one system.

I want Nintendo games without having to put up with Nintendo's terrible hardware and online infrastructure.

I'd be ok with them going third party as well.

TheNatural

My Member!
The times we live in man. Weird to me also honestly.

Don't see why it's so weird to want Nintendo to go back to focusing on games instead of adding 70 or 80 dollars cost to their systems to contain a gimmick that doesn't improve gameplay in any way.

Believe it or not, it is possible to sell a system these days with just a controller without a second screen, camera, wand, steering wheel, or gyro in it.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Your right Nintendo is to blame but not because of arrogance. The launched Wii U ill-equipped. Software (price) is the problem and thats the bottom line cause stone cold says so.

Total incompetence with that software drought. They learned absolutely nothing from the 3DS launch.

Soriku

Nintendo released the Wii U too early. It's not arrogance, they literally have nothing significant ready till the second half of this year. No one's buying a console with no games.

Cheebo

Banned
Smash being on wiiu won't help much when it will also be on 3DS at the same time. It's cross platform ala monster hunter.

Made even worse by the fact that when the first ''big'' game comes out the full hypemachine for PS4/Durango has started.

Nintendo has a real uphill battle till the end of the year. It is not gonna be pretty.

I think the bigger worry for Wii U (in August) would be missing out on the Madden 25 and GTA 5 hype trains.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Some competent Star Foxs and F-Zeros would be nice along with some new ip

Do you really think that is going to happen when they hire some suit that is concerned more about money then their fans? Star Fox and F-Zero are c-tier franchises and new IPs are huge risks so why waste resources on them when you could instead milk Mario, Zelda, Donkey Kong, etc. even more?

Top Bottom