• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for May 2016

allan-bh

Actually, tis the E3 season and all, but with the high likely hood a slim model is releasing at E3, and MS are clearing out stock with $299 500GB bundles and $319 1TB bundles, is it possible that this low May result is because there is actually little stock in the channel right now?

Dropping 35-40% from April to May is a bit extreme, and would be more than the 33% MoM drop from April 2014 to May 2014.

There's reports about people not seeing Xbox One available? I believe MS are clearing stock, but the console isn't selling out yet.

Ridley327

Valkyria got SHUT OUT.

ljadndexclqdpyfvwfvs.gif

I am shocked, SHOCKED, that a remaster of a game that no one bought the first time around would not do well.

Nyoro SF

It would've taken a miracle for VC:R to chart. I remember getting politely roasted for saying it was a niche release back when it was announced because everyone that has wanted the game has played it on PS3 or PC.

Still, it would be nice to know the exact number so I could stick it in my pastebin records...

Actually, tis the E3 season and all, but with the high likely hood a slim model is releasing at E3, and MS are clearing out stock with $299 500GB bundles and $319 1TB bundles, is it possible that this low May result is because there is actually little stock in the channel right now?

There's still about 7 different bundles and skus available at Amazon, so.... no. You can still buy a "limited edition" Halo 5 Xbone at this point. I'm guessing supply is... ample.

kswiston

We're talking a game that on PC in 2014 curbstomped that year's AssCreed and Cawwadoody on Steam's revenue charts. Was kinda hoping that kind of hype would hold momentum when it came to PS4.

Well it's $30 when the PC version is regularly in the $5 range and has already sold 325k copies in the US. The market for JRPGs is not THAT large, and most of us have multiple platforms.

Javin98

Banned

Dropping 35-40% from April to May is a bit extreme, and would be more than the 33% MoM drop from April 2014 to May 2014.
Nah, I don't see this being possible at all. The XB1 sold horribly, that's it.

Absolutely deserves it. Best one so far. Although it's pretty amazing it's still charting. 2 mos after release.

It has always charted for at last 2 months for several years running now..It was actually a joke in last months NPD that people will say they can't believe MLB charted in May, when it normally does every year...

Love that game, still haven't picked up this year's though...Damn NBA2k and My Park addiction.

Welfare

Might be poor wording on my part, but I'm not suggesting that there was a shortage of Xbox One's, but that there is a lower amount of stock than what normally would be there.

Like, if MS is shipping the slim model right now or soon, then there wouldn't be so many Xbox One's in the channel, and why the past 3 weeks are in "sell everything now" mode.

Almost slipping below 100k is alarms going off otherwise. It's what caused MS to axe the Kinect back in 2014.

Just a theory. I can also believe it just sold crap normally, but it's still such a huge drop from April.

We're talking a game that on PC in 2014 curbstomped that year's AssCreed and Cawwadoody on Steam's revenue charts. Was kinda hoping that kind of hype would hold momentum when it came to PS4.

I don't think it's a great comparison. I also believe the PS4 version to be more expensive.

Compbros

Honestly, the UC4 number isn't that impressive to me. Considering the hype and glamour around the series it should easily break a mill first month with this install base.

I can't help but wonder whats kept the series from ever becoming super huge in America.

It was exclusive to the PS3.

Might be poor wording on my part, but I'm not suggesting that there was a shortage of Xbox One's, but that there is a lower amount of stock than what normally would be there.

Like, if MS is shipping the slim model right now or soon, then there wouldn't be so many Xbox One's in the channel, and why the past 3 weeks are in "sell everything now" mode.

Almost slipping below 100k is alarms going off otherwise. It's what caused MS to axe the Kinect back in 2014.

Just a theory. I can also believe it just sold crap normally, but it's still such a huge drop from April.

The price went back up.

Fat4all

Banned

That doesn't make sense still. Having less stock out there and selling so few, there would be signs of it selling out. The fact they were in "sell everything mode" and didn't sell out, if that is the case of having less stock out there, would be even worse considering the sales in May.

Mifune

Mehmber
I think expectations are too high when 900K for a console exclusive in its first month isn't considered impressive.

Hard to say. The system hasn't had any movers this month, and there really anything Halo sized on the horizon. This time last year, the Unity bundle + price drop form Holiday '14 was still carrying X1 for the first half of the year. This year, we've had various retailers hitting that $299 price point over the last few months, several bundles had already been sitting on the shelves since holiday last year, & the QB bundle didn't really move anything.

It's really hard to get a pulse on why the numbers dipped so low. It's not Scorpio rumors; Neo rumors have been out far longer & seemingly had little to no effect, so I don't imagine Scorpio rumors would do similarly. Could just be that demand at the $299 rpice range has been tapped into so aggressively for months on end with unofficial price drops & retailer sales (remember, $299 has been a common X1 price point since Nov. of last year) that there much of the NA market looking for an X1 at that price has already been tapped into.

I think expectations are too high when 900K for a console exclusive in its first month isn't considered impressive.

It's all relative. Every game has different expectations. I don't think 900K for UC4 is really that aggressive, but certainly on the high end.

Mr Git

You gotta wonder how many of those Battleborn sales resulted from

961.jpg

It did much better than expectations.

Tratorn

This is the first time that minecraft sold better on PS4, right?
So Sony finally seems to reach the kid/family-game audience a bit better in the US. It took them long enough for Skylanders/Lego games, Minecraft is the last of these type of games that is selling more on XB1. It's just more associated with the XBox brand.

Now wake up after a short nap and see we have a idea on some numbers .
UC 4 did very good , with bundles and DD it mostly likely over 1 million .
Overwatch and doom also did good so over all good month for software package goods.
Consoles sales PS4 also did good but X1 and Wii U sales numbers are very sad .

Akainu

No who won in the op? I'm guessing since microsoft is talking about gaming hours it clear they lost.

Is battleborn that bad or are people just hating? I only played the beta.

Ridley327

How the heck did Battleborn show up on top10?

It was the first game release of the month and Gearbox had enough goodwill from Borderlands to win over some curious types, despite the general lack of enthusiasm since releasing. It's something of a short term victory, but I suspect that Randy and co. will be doing everything they can to get Borderlands 3 out sooner rather than later.

Top Bottom