• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for October 2015 [Up1: Xbox #1]

casiopao

Well, Disgaea 5 is a niche T-RPG and DQ Heroes a spin off beat'em all.
Maybe Star Ocean V could provide a better example ? Or FFXV... or Persona 5.

Ummm. If u are comparing niche, i think chibi robo is even nicher than both of those. Hell, isnt nippon ichi president is banking a lot on d5 selling much better on the west? After sales in jp not doing that hot?

Tales of Vesperia - 37,000 (1 month)
Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World - 96,000 (2 months)
Tales of the Abyss 3DS - 30,000 (1 month)

Wow, DOTNW is higher than I thought (it's FM would've been much higher than the second which still is quite a bit higher than Vesperia), and Abyss would be comparible to PS3 entries at least, again, it's a game PS2 owners in NA already played with no real additions and worse (but not by much) graphics.

So just "okay".

Kenai

I highly agree. Symphonia did better than Xillia as pointed out above on a much lower install base and a likely less RPG popular system (if you know what I mean, PS3 was the RPG console last gen).

Dawn of the New World did very comparable numbers to Vesperia in NA didn't it?

On top of that, didn't Abyss 3DS sell quite well, especially for being a basic port of a 7 year-old game at the time?

I think this is all correct.

I am actually quite shocked it's so low. Hope the PC version is making up for a few sales.

Kinda sad about DQ but oh well, wasn't expecting much out of that.

Bruno MB

Wow, DOTNW is higher than I thought (it's FM would've been much higher than the second which still is quite a bit higher than Vesperia), and Abyss would be comparible to PS3 entries at least, again, it's a game PS2 owners in NA already played with no real additions and worse (but not by much) graphics.

So just "okay".

LTD Vesperia is around 15,000 units above Dawn of the New World.

toz ~ 58k
d5 ~ 26k
dq ~ 31k

jd2016 ~ 38k, Wii ~ 39%
Thanks Creamsugar <3

Not good numbers although Anihawk said D5 sales were good so this might be better than the previous Disgaea games.

It also opened to 22k in Japan so Disgae 5 likely sold better in NA than in Japan, not to forget the digital sales were higher than ToZ and DQH.

I'm not Even going to lie o don't even care zestria didn't do well after looking at star ocean 5 and playing thru zestria as i type this..theu seriously need to go back to the good ol tales of before because in my opinion, graces onward hasn't been very good

sörine

Banned
Builders will do better if SE handle it right. With these sales they might not want to bother with Heroes 2 though.

So just "okay".
Keep in mind Abyss 3DS was severely undershipped initially. It basically sold out immediarely and exceeded Namco's expectations.

Sandfox

Why ?
It was a late port that BN hardly put any effort into it .
The game has slow down even on PS4 lol.

I don't see why it being a "late port" would affect sales in the west. Its still the newest Tales game that was never released here and it still came over faster than all of the other Tales games barring Vesperia. If anything this was the title they wanted to use in order to take a bigger step in the west.

I expected clear growth considering the game is on 3 platforms with it being the first game of the series on two of them. We'll see how it sells over time though.

Are we still sure Dragon Quest XI PS4 will outsell the 3DS version in the west?

Are you talking NA or WW ?
I guess it will depend on how much they market it .

I don't see why it being a "late port" would affect sales in the west. Its still the newest Tales game that was never released here and it still came over faster than all of the other Tales games barring Vesperia. If anything this was the title they wanted to use in order to take a bigger step in the west.

I expected clear growth considering the game is on 3 platforms with it being the first game of the series on two of them. We'll see how it sells over time though.

Well it did grow if you want to comapre it to TOX2 .
Also it being on 3 platforms don't mean much since the PS3 is dead in the west .

Assuming they put out the 3DS version, no. I'd take the NX version outselling the PS4 version at this point, assuming Square actually publishes it here.

You're expecting the NX version to outsell the PS4 version in NA?

I mean, it might happen.

But I feel like that's a prediction being made on no data.

AniHawk

Thanks Creamsugar <3

Not good numbers although Anihawk said D5 sales were good so this might be better than the previous Disgaea games.

It also opened to 22k in Japan so Disgae 5 likely sold better in NA than in Japan, not to forget the digital sales were higher than ToZ and DQH.

to give some context, danganronpa had an opening month of about 13.5k and that was considered a breakout hit. in fact, a lot of atlus games regularly start off in the 13k-20k range if you're an etrian something or a soul hackers or what have you, and eventually sell north of 30,000 units to customers. this means disgaea 5 has the potential to easily clear 50k at retail. depending on how long the generation lasts, it can probably stick around through all of it and hit that 100k mark that disgaea 3 and disgaea 4 managed as well.

AniHawk

You're expecting the NX version to outsell the PS4 version in NA?

I mean, it might happen.

But I feel like that's a prediction being made on no data.

the big thing working in their favor is the nx being a handheld as well as a console. to be real, the dragon quest series only ever took off with dq viii and dq ix (with viii outselling ix). on the other hand, nintendo has built a really strong rpg userbase on the 3ds and is continuing support for dragon quest next year. the big obstacles for dqxi on nx will be release time and userbase size. based on those alone, i think the game will actually struggle to overcome whatever good will nintendo built up over the last three years with rpgs on their handheld.

jackdoe

Release date probably had the largest affect on sales. Tales of Xillia and Tales of Xillia 2 released in August, a much quieter release period. Releasing this close to the fall heavy hitters, and charging $60 for your game on the PS4 (they only charged $50 on the PC) was a bit crazy.

Release date probably had the largest affect on sales. Tales of Xillia and Tales of Xillia 2 released in August, a much quieter release period. Releasing this close to the fall heavy hitters, and charging $60 for your game on the PS4 (they only charged $50 on the PC) was a bit crazy.

You also got a free games on PC .
Would have be interesting to see if the PS4 owner got the same deal to see what would happen .

the big thing working in their favor is the nx being a handheld as well as a console. to be real, the dragon quest series only ever took off with dq viii and dq ix (with viii outselling ix). on the other hand, nintendo has built a really strong rpg userbase on the 3ds and is continuing support for dragon quest next year. the big obstacles for dqxi on nx will be release time and userbase size. based on those alone, i think the game will actually struggle to overcome whatever good will nintendo built up over the last three years with rpgs on their handheld.

There's no doubt in my mind that the 3DS version of DQ11 will utterly dominate the PS4 version (in almost every market).

But with the NX, we know next to nothing about it. And I entirely agree with your points on the userbase and NX.

pastrami

Where does the NX being a software and hardware sales powerhouse narrative come from?

The running narrative of Nintendo fans is that the NX will be the defacto platform for Japanese games. Including all those sweet sweet Vita games that have anime girl faces for their bubbles.

Assuming they put out the 3DS version, no. I'd take the NX version outselling the PS4 version at this point, assuming Square actually publishes it here.
hmmm? That doesn't make much sense to me. Do you know something about the NX that we don't? It's guaranteed to be successful or something?

KingBroly

Banned
So NX is a success before release?

I look at the PS4 numbers for DQH and Zesteria I question if the people who buy those games are there.

Also, I don't have much faith in Square publishing DQ games in the west, and I fear they'd be more likely to dump it onto Sony or Nintendo because they have no faith in the brand outside of Japan.

kswiston

Thanks Creamsugar <3

Disgaea 1 ended up becoming a Greatest Hits title, so I would imagine that at least that entry will remain higher (not sure about first month)

I think Tales will be fine. Steamspy might be Worldwide, but PC games aren't nearly as frontloaded as console retail. Based on Naruto Ninja Storm Revolution sales last year (which had an even slower start), I'd guess that Zestria will be in the 300k range on Steam a year from now. Even higher once its base price drops.

Add in continued retail sales, and digital sales (I have to imagine that these eventually count for a good portion of sales since Namco is always throwing Tales games into the weekly PSN sales), and I am sure you will have a large enough userbase to warrant continued localizations. Plus, I am sure those ridiculously overpriced costumes are selling to someone.

I look at the PS4 numbers for DQH and Zesteria I question if the people who buy those games are there.

Also, I don't have much faith in Square publishing DQ games in the west, and I fear they'd be more likely to dump it onto Sony or Nintendo because they have no faith in the brand outside of Japan.

Zesteria sales seem very much in line with what Tales typical sells here as has been pointed out.

It's really hard to judge the DQH numbers.

Tales games never sold big even during the era of PS2 .
And a spin off from a series that has not hit consoles in the west since the PS2 era .
They are people there but the numbers are small.

I mean TOZ sold 100k on PC WW.
On home system it sold 58k not count DD sales in NPD .
Which is not bad for a tales game .

Are we still sure Dragon Quest XI PS4 will outsell the 3DS version in the west?
3DS still has a bigger install base (i think?) and it's an audience that likes RPGs and more niche japanese games so maybe? I'm not sure DQ can do that well in the west anywhere, though.
Never felt that popular

Ummm. If u are comparing niche, i think chibi robo is even nicher than both of those. Hell, isnt nippon ichi president is banking a lot on d5 selling much better on the west? After sales in jp not doing that hot?
Chibi Robo is a side-scrolling platformer that is being released on a hardware that has history of side-scrolling platformers and a huge audience for it. It is nowhere niche except for the brand name.

Disgaea 5 has done better in West. There is no doubt now that we know the opening month sales are higher than Japan and it also charted higher digitally than ToZ (56k retail) and DQH.

So VIII has outsold IX. Thanks for the confirmation.

Disgaea 5 numbers aren't so bad if you compare to the Japan numbers. This is also the first entry in a series that is divided among a variety of platforms. Disgaea 6, if ever developed, will likely improve its numbers.

I am sure once there is a JRPG audience on PS4 like it was on PS2, we can expect better numbers. How many JRPGs have been released so far on the PS4? This was perhaps the first year with the first batch of JRPGs and there aren't even many big names. Star Ocean 5 will be big. Final Fantasy XV will be big. Kingdom Hearts will be big. These won't be released until next year.

ToZ numbers are inline with what the series has sold in the past and they are still localized so I am sure BN is not in panic mode over these sales. PC has also proved a success for them so there is no reason to assume the localization will stop.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Zesteria sales seem very much in line with what Tales typical sells here as has been pointed out.

It's really hard to judge the DQH numbers.

I think the best we could do is compare it to the DQ spinoffs and non-DW musou titles?

kswiston

3DS still has a bigger install base (i think?) and it's an audience that likes RPGs and more niche japanese games so maybe? I'm not sure DQ can do that well in the west anywhere, though.
Never felt that popular

DQXI is not coming to the west before 2017. 3DS will be dead over here before it is localized.

no one platform will suffice for dq, it's gonna rely on being multiplatform in the west (maybe japan too), steam, ps4 and 3ds/nx

it will probably be teh same for remaining Japanese properties as well

Top Bottom