• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for October 2015 [Up1: Xbox #1]

sörine

Banned
Tales games never sold big even during the era of PS2 .
And a spin off from a series that has not hit consoles in the west since the PS2 era .
Symphonia did half a million in the US and Wii got two DQ spinoffs (Swords and Fortune Street). Or did you only mean PlayStation consoles?

KingBroly

Banned
Zesteria sales seem very much in line with what Tales typical sells here as has been pointed out.

It's really hard to judge the DQH numbers.

Not really. DQ fans in the west have been blue balled by Square for a long time, and this was a chance for them to show their support for it. The numbers, and the word of mouth, if you care to put any merit in it (I've heard little myself) would indicate that no, that didn't happen here.

You have DQ7/8 coming to the 3DS in the west finally, but there's no word on a publisher yet, and if it's not Square, it'd once again shows a lack of confidence in the brand from them outside of Japan.

Marketing is going to decide DQXI fate .

sörine;185628635 said:
Symphonia did half a million in the US and Wii got two DQ spinoffs (Swords and Fortune Street). Or did you only mean PlayStation consoles?

Yes i meant on PS systems .

DQH seems to show what happens when you don't bother building an audience for a given platform. There hasn't been DQ anything on consoles here for a long time, at least on Sony platforms. Skipping out on localizing the games and coming back with a musou spin off is probably not the way to handle it.
DQXI is not coming to the west before 2017. 3DS will be dead before it is localized.
I guess that's right. If it came out next year then it'd be another story but by mid-late 2017 I cant' imagine it'll fine much of an audience.

Mikey Jr.

DQH at 30k copies is still like 1.8 million in revenue in NA only.

Add in some Europe and some digital, so thats another 1.5 mil with no marketing budget.

So maybe thats ok?

sörine

Banned
You have DQ7/8 coming to the 3DS in the west finally, but there's no word on a publisher yet, and if it's not Square, it'd once again shows a lack of confidence in the brand from them outside of Japan.
NOA/NOE are publishing DQVII, DQVIII and Bravely Second. The only 3DS game SE is publishing themselves in the west next year is FF Explorers.

Not really. DQ fans in the west have been blue balled by Square for a long time, and this was a chance for them to show their support for it. The numbers, and the word of mouth, if you care to put any merit in it (I've heard little myself) would indicate that no, that didn't happen here.

I'm not really going to judge a game with DQ in the name (which I bought btw because I do love DQ) but that plays differently then mainline DQ games by a considerable margin. If SE was using DQH to judge interest in the series or if they weren't (I'm not convinced either way), I still find the numbers hard to judge over all with no reference point.

Agree to disagree I suppose.

Show support ?
This is a musou not a rpg if you want to show supports for DQ in the USA you have to have a handheld .

sörine;185628635 said:

Didn't Symphonia only open to about 100k in sales?

KingBroly

Banned
sörine;185628830 said:
NOA/NOE are publishing DQVII, DQVIII and Bravely Second. The only 3DS game SE is publishing themselves in the west next year is FF Explorers.

Pardon me, but I'm going to bash my head repeatedly against a wall in disappointment and frustration over this. UGH >_<

sörine

Banned
Didn't Symphonia only open to about 100k in sales?
Close, it was 120k. It's second month was 67k, which is higher than most other Tales first months. The game had exceptional legs though and even outsold Abyss consecutively starting from when it released in 2006.

Add to the fact it came with an amiibo version as well
The new strategy of Nintendo to sell software is to release an Amiibo for it. Almost every major game announcement has an Amiibo. The recently released TP HD has an Amiibo. I mean as long as they are selling (and they definitely sell well) Nintendo will keep trying to move software with them.

Dude, you do realize that the fans are waiting for an actual mainline game instead of a spin-off musou RPG hybrid. How does the lack of sales of DQH is considered a lack of support. This logic is ridiculous and I hate when anyone tries to present it as such.

We had a retail source right here in this thread saying Square Enix barely tried to market the game in West and also had their expectations in check. They didn't ship thousands of copy to retail stores in the West. They also didn't bother to spend millions on marketing it.

Read the post in question, which is from a verified source.
Sigh, yep.

That looks about right.

I picked up Tales and Dragon Quest.

Very low numbers for both, but I feel like DQH was also having to prove itself as an unknown quantity, too.

Taking the DQ brand and applying it to the formula with the omega force gameplay was a totally new thing. I had fun with it, more than I expected, honestly. I'm sure we'll get the second one, and hopefuly it'll do somewhat better.

Part of it is, is I also don't think there was much at all in the way of marketing. I knew about it because I'm an enthusiast. But they didn't even have my copy for pickup in store, it still had to be shipped to me, so I don't think Square had high expectations for the US in the first place. We didn't get swamped with a ton of copies or anything.

SE probably had realist expectations, guys... it just looks really rough all the same.

Is the NX going to save gaming as we know it?
It could help out japan, I'd think. Being able to make (for example) the next Tales of game on NX could allow them to release it on the portable and console without a lot of effort appealing to multiple markets while keeping costs low. Japan likely needs something competent for the next few years alongside the PS4 with no Vita successor unless a lot of them go to mobile (not many have the resources to make multiplatform titles to release worldwide like SE)
Or it can fall flat on its face and sell atrociously, who knows?

Game Guru

It seems Zestiria is in line with how Tales generally does in North America if the sales of other Tales games are any indication.

Chibi-Robo was likely helped from being bundled with an Amiibo. Amiibos from obscure franchises generally end up as hard to find collector's items and end up getting bought up quickly. Chibi-Robo could definitely fall under that.

As for Dragon Quest Heroes, how well does the typical Musou do? Isn't like Hyrule Warriors the best Western success Musou has had and it only did like a million?

sörine

Banned
I would guess amiibo helped both Chibi-Robo and Yoshi. Each sold quite a bit better than I expected, Yoshi's not far off from 3D World's first NPD.

It seems Zestiria is in line with how Tales generally does in North America if the sales of other Tales games are any indication.

Chibi-Robo was likely helped from being bundled with an Amiibo. Amiibos from obscure franchises generally end up as hard to find collector's items and end up getting bought up quickly. Chibi-Robo could definitely fall under that.

As for Dragon Quest Heroes, how well does the typical Musou do? Isn't like Hyrule Warriors the best Western success Musou has had and it only did like a million?
Hyrule Warriors is also Zelda, which is considerably more popular which doesn't make DQH seem so bad, I guess.

KingBroly

Banned
sörine;185629790 said:
I would guess amiibo helped both Chibi-Robo and Yoshi. Each sold quite a bit better than I expected, Yoshi's not far off from 3D World's first NPD.

Well...the Woolly World bundle is not available anymore, while the Chibi Robo one is...so it didn't help much. Good reviews helped Woolly World more, IMO.

Does anyone know the openings for DQ games in the west? It would be nice to have a reference point (however skewed) to at least form some sort of baseline as it seems Zesteria opened to familiar numbers.

Bolivar687

Banned
IDK... does anyone feel like it was sent to die? DQHeroes looks and plays great, I have to imagine an accessible game like that could have done a bit better than it did.

I'm sure those handheld remakes will do about as much, if not less. There's a reason why Square and then later Nintendo backed away from them.

Mory Dunz

sörine;185629790 said:

Yup. Wonder if Kirby cold've benefitted from that too

Bringing up Mario (210 retail + digital in first month) isn't a great comparison, because of its legs. I mean, both Mario Party 10 and Captain Toad had better first months than 3DWorld.

Does anyone know the openings for DQ games in the west? It would be nice to have a reference point (however skewed) to at least form some sort of baseline as it seems Zesteria opened to familiar numbers.
DQ VI ~50k (from this thread?)
DQ IV ~76k in four months

Both were for DS, which was a popular handheld and the "home" of Dragon Quest as many people consider in this thread. It was also a big platform for JRPGs so there was a huge audience for it.

Best selling DQ was VIII (PS2) as per Anihawk followed by IX (DS).

Man God

Non-Canon Member
The last time Square Enix put any money into advertising a DQ game was DQ VIII.

Potential fans of XI should hope that Nintendo spends on advertising for VII and VIII.

sörine

Banned
We basically never get figures for mainline Musou, just not much interest.

The only things we have to compare are first months for recent spinoffs; Hyrule Warriors (190k) and One Piece Pirate Warriors 3 (15k).

Both were for DS, which was a popular handheld and the "home" of Dragon Quest as many people consider in this thread. It was also a big platform for JRPGs so there was a huge audience for it.

In comparison to those numbers, DQH doesn't seem too bad. Hopefully the Steam release does good. I know I'll be double dipping.

Chase17

How did Bravely Default do in the west? Didn't square say they were happy with those sales. I'm just trying to find a base for good results for a handheld JRPG are (even if there is no such sales mark that necessarily translates to good due to different budgets etc).

It was a special console with the newest installment to Microsoft's biggest franchise vs a remaster bundle. No matter the price and no matter how much i personally put uncharted over halo i would never expect uncharted anything to outsell halo. Now im thinking uncharted 4 might outsell halo 5

the main ps4 bundle was the uncharted bundle, if you went down to a gamestop or best buy to pick up a ps4 without specifically looking for any of the old bundles you were going to end up with the uncharted bundle

and with the halo 5 bundle i actually know someone who was planning to buy it but once he found out it was $500 decided to wait and get the fo4 bundle instead and bought halo 5 separate, i wouldn't be surprised if that's what a lot of people did

What does Ubisoft have left to milk with AC and Just Dance flopping? Annual Watch Dogs?

i would expect wash dawggies 2 to bomba, tbh, at this point. it's enough of a joke and hated enough now that i don't think anyone is going to fall for anything ubi does. even the division took too long to come out, now nobody really cares.

i think ubi might rely on far cry for a while though, until that gets worn out.

Game Guru

sörine;185630561 said:
We basically never get figures for mainline Musou, just not much interest.

The only things we have to compare are first months for recent spinoffs; Hyrule Warriors (190k) and One Piece Pirate Warriors 3 (15k).

Putting it into that perspective and acknowledging the relative popularity of both Zelda and One Piece in the US, Dragon Quest Heroes seems to have done okay for a Musou based on a niche gaming franchise in the West.

How did Bravely Default do in the west? Didn't square say they were happy with those sales. I'm just trying to find a base for good results for a handheld JRPG are (even if there is no such sales mark that necessarily translates to good due to different budgets etc).
Bravely Default was published and marketed by Nintendo and Square Enix had nothing to do with its Western release. The game was a huge success for sure, but it was thanks to Nintendo, not Square Enix.

It sold 200k (digital+retail) in debut NPD month.

sörine

Banned
In comparison to those numbers, DQH doesn't seem too bad. Hopefully the Steam release does good. I know I'll be double dipping.
DQVI was after piracy basically destroyed the DS software market but I don't know it's first month.

Other DQ 1st NPDs:

VIII PS2 < 100k
IV DS < 50k
XI DS ~132k

Arzehn

Those Dragon Quest Heroes numbers don't seem as bad once you look at other entries in the series.

To give you an idea of how DQ4 + DQ5 + DQ6 sold in the West, here are opening month NPD figures:

DQ4 Opening Month (September 2008) - 34K

DQ5 Opening Month (February 2009) - 22K

DQ6 Opening Month (February 2011) - 46K

Chase17

Bravely Default was published and marketed by Nintendo and Square Enix had nothing to do with its Western release. The game was a huge success for sure, but it was thanks to Nintendo, not Square Enix.

It sold 200k (digital+retail) in debut NPD month.

Oh right, I forgot about that. It will be interesting to see how Bravely Second does. Thanks for the response.

$500 bundle vs $350. Not that surprising.

Microsoft should have one for $350 as well. Missed opportunity.

I don't think it was a missed opportunity. They had to know the pricing of that bundle would result in much lower sales. Maybe they didn't realize just how much lower the sales would be just like sales of the game overall.

Top Bottom