• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for October 2015 [Up1: Xbox #1]

Curufinwe

You guys should be asking NPD_George what's NPD's plan for tracking digital sales (if any) instead of trying to figure out who he is.

I've accepted Sony and MS don't benefit from releasing their digital sales numbers outside of specific great news stories, so I don't worry about them.

Ray Down

Banned
I don't think Tomb Raider actually has any future iteration issues.

Square Enix is among the most generous companies in the industry in keeping franchises alive.

They gave Nier a sequel anything can happen, yeah there no way TR isn't getting a sequel to finish some sort of trilogy.

It just that they won't make any time exclusivity deal and possibly may go under a Sony marketing deal if they decided to even do a marketing deal at all.

goki3kE.png

I reckon I've found him

Curufinwe

it all depends on how you look at it :) people may have bought the ps4 for uncharted collection. i personally feel last of us was still kinda new and people held out buying on ps3 knowing it would be on ps4 or it came out late in gen and that helped it a little and plus there was the left behind add on from earlier in the year that was included

That's what I did, and I managed to dodge TLoU spoilers for that year successfully.

kswiston

It had nowhere else to go. If it went earlier it would compete against Halo. Later it would go against CoD and Star Wars. Going much earlier might not have been possible from a development standpoint. Going after Christmas means XB1 loses some of its 'exclusives for the holidays' marketing push and would start competing with Uncharted 4.

The game would have been much better off launching in either early October or late January.

Looking at the tentative release schedule, launching Deus Ex on the same day as Farcry Primal seems to be another brilliant S-E move.

Obscured

I usually stay out of these threads because I don't really have enough context and there usually isn't enough information to give me a real sense of the industry though they are fun to read.

This time though I am disappointed in those Halo numbers because they do seem quite low. Not because I am determined that it must be a juggernaut for all time, but because it is a good game that had a well received early beta that provided feedback that actually influenced development choices, prioritized 60fps, prioritized dedicated servers (I realize not perfectly), had staff that was communicative throughout the dev cycle and continues to be post-release and seems to be putting in a lot of effort to sustain the game going forward.

I don't want to 'concern-post' here, but those are things I like to see and it appears they did not equate to sales. I hope the lesson is not taken that these things are not important. There is no reason to think that other than these sales numbers, but I don't know how that feeds into those kinds of business decisions. There are obviously other factors that provide the context and they've been discussed in this thread but did they really override everything else? I'd like to think there is more to the story, but I don't know that there is.

On one hand there there is the thought that everyone who wanted Halo 5 already bought a console when MCC launched. Were there enough people soured by MCC that they bought the console back then, but did not buy Halo 5? Seems like that group would have also played the beta which was generally well received. Are there people waiting to see how it does after a few weeks or months (a lot of people liked Halo 4 initially and then quickly turned)? Is the end of October too close to deal season or are there so many good games coming that people are having to wait to pick which one they really want? I know there is a lot of speculation and most of it against Halo, but those numbers seem really low, even within the context of just the negative stuff.

TR is another one that is a bit worrisome if it is really starting that low. I know for me this gen I'm waiting on deals for most SP games (hoping for a TLOU deal this season), not because I need them, but rather I have a surplus of good games to play so I see no need to pay full price just to build a backlog though I don't know if I am unique in this regard or if there is a similar market to how I purchase games. Again this is because it looks like it will be a good game and builds on the elements that I really enjoyed from the reboot (though we'll see if that pans out now that people are getting their hands on it).

I know that you're probably joking but I don't know why any PS fan would want this. Ever since they've started winning, Sony has been getting very lazy, imo.

Well, we PS fans need Playstation to keep winning the sales battles. It's all we have left now that Sony decided to stop selling games. Another month like this and I'd consider selling my ps4 tbqh

All I can say about Tomb Raider. I would've bought it if it came out on all platforms. I don't have an Xbox One and I won't buy an XB1 for that.

But I definitely would've bought it next to Fallout 4, don't know about you guys. I think it being a timed exlusive is more severe than it coming on the same day as Fallout 4, a week after CoD and a week before Battlefront.

What do I know though.

CoG

It had nowhere else to go. If it went earlier it would compete against Halo. Later it would go against CoD and Star Wars. Going much earlier might not have been possible from a development standpoint. Going after Christmas means XB1 loses some of its 'exclusives for the holidays' marketing push and would start competing with Uncharted 4.

I wonder if it was supposed to be released in Spring 2016 for the PS4 and got moved out to Q4 after the UC4 delay. I can't see it having any success on the PS4 in Q4 unless it's the definitive edition, possibly marked down to $40 at launch. I happened upon the previous game when it was on sale for the PC. I can't see myself spending $60 for a year old game, especially a Tomb Raider game.

So we're switching from being concerned about Square to being concerned about Microsoft?
Well, I was never concerned. It started with:
The future where they actually make some money when it comes to PS4 and PC, and never sign a deal with MS again.
And I am not sure if Microsoft itself would consider this deal such a brilliant idea in hindsight.
I can't imagine Spencer raising his glass this Xbox management christmas party and giving out a toast to the man who came up with this idea.

Ray Down

Banned
Well, I was never concerned. It started with:

And I am not sure if Microsoft itself would consider this deal such a brilliant idea in hindsight.
I can't imagine Spencer raising his glass this Xbox management christmas party and giving out a toast to the man who came up with this idea.

I think for both companies whoever decided on the deal/made it is probably feeling the heat.

Gurish

GAF please stop snooping around him, now he had to change his name because all of this attention, enjoy his posts and keep moving forward, we want him in the next NPD threads...

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
I know that you're probably joking but I don't know why any PS fan would want this. Ever since they've started winning, Sony has been getting very lazy, imo.

How do you measure a global corporation's laziness?

I've accepted Sony and MS don't benefit from releasing their digital sales numbers outside of specific great news stories, so I don't worry about them.

That's true, unfortunately. Which takes us to the old question: why is the games industry so secretive re: sales?
How do you measure a global corporation's laziness?
Does not allow users to change username = lazy. Users can't change online status = very lazy. Users can't manage library items = somebody please check company's pulse.

(I'm kidding)

(Kind of)

If TR flops horribly it's going to be REALLY hard for MS to convince publishers to do similar deals in the future. That's a problem for MS when their first party studios are so much smaller in scale (in terms of number of games they can put out per year) compared to those of Sony and Nintendo

If TR flops horribly it's going to be REALLY hard for MS to convince publishers to do similar deals in the future. That's a problem for MS when their first party studios are so much smaller in scale (in terms of number of games they can put out per year) compared to those of Sony and Nintendo
Don't worry. Microsoft has a huge warchest.

first!

I think they said they'd be moving away from these sort of deals in the future iirc. Whether that's do to with them finding it hard to get publishers to sign up and/or because of TR and whatever went down with that.

Jumeira

Banned
So does this mean Xbox is going start beating PS4 and win? When I see Xbox beating PlayStation it literally makes me sick to my stomach. I heard that MS won October and I was so down that I didn't get out of my bed for hours. Sony please just win. Please!

This is painful to read. Do these companies and console wars occupy your mind and body this much? Your feeling unwell due to MS winning ?

BadWolf

With the install base gap widening more and more it was going to get harder and more expensive for MS regardless of TR's performance.

Averon

Man that AssCreed drop is massive. If this continues, I don't see how Ubi can justify those massive AssCreed teams they have, especially now that they have to contend with a possible hostile takeover from Vivendi.

Wouldn't be surprised if Ubi announces massive layoffs of their AssCreed teams a few years from now.

Maybe now Ubi will do that feudal Japan AssCreed most been wanting yet Ubi oddly refuses to do.

Top Bottom