• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for September 2017

Scrawnton

Glad to see Switch and Mario X Rabbids doing so well.

It will be really interesting to see how many Switch's Nintendo can sell in November for Mario Odyssey's release. Didn't they sell something crazy like 4.4 million Wii's in a single NPD month? I wonder what realistic expectations are, 2 million?
I think if Nintendo drops a direct in early November taking about VC (timing is right with GCN controllers now working) and some 2018 software, they can easily build the hype to hit 2mil over Black Friday.

Glad to see Switch and Mario X Rabbids doing so well.

It will be really interesting to see how many Switch's Nintendo can sell in November for Mario Odyssey's release. Didn't they sell something crazy like 4.4 million Wii's in a single NPD month? I wonder what realistic expectations are, 2 million?

4.4 million? No way.

Wii's best selling month in US was December 2009 when it sold 3.81 million units. And no. Switch is not going to touch those numbers. Probably nothing will ever. While Switch is doing great to me it feels people really don't remember the phenomenon Wii was.

Wii's best selling month in US was December 2009 when it sold 3.81 million units. And no. Switch is not going to touch those numbers. Probably nothing will ever. While Switch is doing great to me it feels people really don't remember the phenomenon Wii was.

Ah I wasn't far off :p Those were insane numbers!

Please note I didn't say Switch would sell anything close to those numbers lol but I think if they heavily advertise and get Odyssey demo stations in enough stores then 2 million for November would be realistic.

Having a back catalogue of exclusive games as strong as they do for a system only eight months old will also help a ton in terms of value proposition and potential bundles. A $399 black Friday bundle with Odyssey, ARMS and MK8 Deluxe for instance would be a good one for families.

gtj1092

Switch and PS4 must be really close in sales considering the blurb. I had predicted a near 100k victory for switch this month considering the increased stock and the unlimited pent up demand. October should be a more pronounced victory for switch though with Mario and Sony saving all their bundles for November.

jaybe00

Neo Member
Wow, September up 39% over last year? Is that a record for the industry? That sounds like a fantastic leap.

That's my big takeaway too. Numbers like these are great for the health of the industry.

Minecraft still clinging on to the top 20 even with the change to revenue. Must still be moving decent units.

The Jag

Neo Member
Wow, September up 39% over last year? Is that a record for the industry? That sounds like a fantastic leap.

It's funny to think that just a few years ago much of the industry thought consoles were dead... I'm glad they were wrong.

erikNORML

Neo Member
I mean that's the only reason I'm here and my first thought when I found out what was going on over the weekend, lol.

That was my weekend too and how I even noticed GAF was down.

*NPD is out, need to see GAF hot takes...*

BAD GATEWAY ERROR.

Good results for Rabbids and Metroid, would love to see specific figures including digital though. Pokken seems to be underperforming here compared to what it was pulling in Japan.

I really want to see more JRPGS hit the top ten. I'm not sure what can be done to make them more prominent again but I would like to see them reenter the mainstream.

Nyoro SF

Well, without numbers, it's pretty useless to speculate how good or bad Infinite did. I'll never forget that one time we thought ranking 5th in NPD was a big deal, only for a few number leaks to make us realize it was a poor context judgment.

I really want to see more JRPGS hit the top ten. I'm not sure what can be done to make them more prominent again but I would like to see them reenter the mainstream.

I'm not sure anything can be done, unfortunately, though that is perhaps a discussion for an entirely separate thread. JRPGs as you know them will likely never re-enter the mass market. Luckily, I do not believe they need to.

Humdinger

So are most of the SalesGAF regulars leaving the site? Hope not. GAF has been a great hub of information (and leaks) about sales data. But maybe not anymore.

So are most of the SalesGAF regulars leaving the site? Hope not. GAF has been a great hub of information (and leaks) about sales data. But maybe not anymore.

Seems to be. There is a huge Sales discord going on atm.

Looks like all the good posters are going to be there. even matt from npd joined

hemo memo

Gold Member
5. Mario & Rabbids: Kingdom Battle**

bowvEWh.gif

DrGrus

A small question do we know if the regular 2DS is on its way out? Noticed that I could not find it in the regular stores in Sweden and that the price on Amazon.co.uk has gone up. How much has 2DS sold so far in the USA?

About the total sales, found a link too this site from a Swedish site. Have no idea if the numbers is trustworthy but they claim that they have the actual sales numbers for Switch and PS4 since the launch of Switch.

https://www.statista.com/chart/11561/us-video-game-hardware-sales/

I think if Nintendo drops a direct in early November taking about VC (timing is right with GCN controllers now working) and some 2018 software, they can easily build the hype to hit 2mil over Black Friday.

No they cannot, because nothing indicates that Nintendo can ship 2 millions just to USA for November.

Crazyorloco

This is probably the biggest news. Especially since unlike the other games it is not found on other platforms...and is only including physical sales.

NahaNago

So that 18 million pc software seems really low. Does NPD just count how much a game has sold and skips like dlc, mmo, and other stores outside of steam?

mas8705

6. Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite

I'm not sure if this says more to Mario and Ubisoft for having (what I like to think) a very successful launch for Kingdom Battle, or if people felt so underwhelmed by MvC:I from the get go that it got outsold by Rabbids. Either way though, it is good to see that neither game didn't get outsold by GTA 5.

Question now though is that do we look at October's or November's NPD sales for what's coming out this Friday? It is likely that Mario will outsell everyone, but it will be neat to see where Origins lands.

YASSSSSSSSSSSS PS4, now onto november with the bundles, Nintendo has oct on lockdown i believe and sony has november. I dont see microsoft making a statement until holiday season.

I'm not sure if this says more to Mario and Ubisoft for having (what I like to think) a very successful launch for Kingdom Battle, or if people felt so underwhelmed by MvC:I from the get go that it got outsold by Rabbids. Either way though, it is good to see that neither game didn't get outsold by GTA 5.

Question now though is that do we look at October's or November's NPD sales for what's coming out this Friday? It is likely that Mario will outsell everyone, but it will be neat to see where Origins lands.
I would say that Infinite did quite decently on the sales part, after all the buzz and somewhat bad promotion/style/roster, etc.

NahaNago

YASSSSSSSSSSSS PS4, now onto november with the bundles, Nintendo has oct on lockdown i believe and sony has november. I dont see microsoft making a statement until holiday season.

I think with enough mario odyssey marketing Nintendo could take November as well and the switch is still a somewhat hot item.

mas8705

I would say that Infinite did quite decently on the sales part, after all the buzz and somewhat bad promotion/style/roster, etc.

The build up to MvC:I was completely underwhelming (and it doesn't help that people are still feeling rather ticked about the new characters being locked behind the paywalls). Hopefully, we'll see if Infinite can rise to higher things overtime, but for now, at least it was a more decent start than alot of people thought it was going to be.

Mory Dunz

Don't lie. NPD threads the last few months have been explosive since the Switch became ahead in sales. The actual sales posters have left gaf that's why it's slow.

...no.

Check the page counts. NPD have been slow for months, since leaks stopped.

MC threads are consistently longer and come out every week. Which was unheard of,
NPD hasn't broken 30 pages in forever. It used to be break 100.

March 2017 (Switch release month) was the most recent to break 30, at 35 pages. MC week 38 was 35 lol...

NahaNago

yep in the past NPD thread would break over a 100 pages every time when we had the numbers of games sold instead of i think its base on revenue now. Such crazy times.

edit: crap! top of the page, LOVE AND PEACE!!!!!

Top Bottom