• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD will no longer release monthly hardware/software unit sales

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Simply, the NPD needs a new business model.

Somebody contact Baseline and pitch our new video game tracking business.

jkanownik

B-Rad Lascelle said:
This is true. But then, one could easily connect the dots by how well the individual Move/Kinect titles are selling. Those would be classified as games.

If titles like Sports Champions and Kinect Sports are nowhere to be found on the NPD Top 20 while Wii Sports Resort continues to surface despite being A) over a year old and B) bundled with Wii hardware, there would be questions.

Both titles you mentioned are bundled with the hardware (i.e. they could be classified as accessories). The console bundle details wouldn't normally be released either. Look at the reported software numbers from last November and December:

http://vgsales.wikia.com/wiki/NPD_sales_figures

There is no way to make conclusions about the success of Move or Kinect based on whether or not software titles would fall on those charts. Just Dance not being on the list in November and coming in at #20 in December is a perfect example. I don't think this announcement really has any effect on public information on how Move or Kinect are performing.

TheOddOne

Warm Machine said:
If anyone would like to bury sales data it would be the person in last place. That said, I doubt this has to do with any of the players and more to do with NPD keeping things private so their subscriptions have more value.
This is what I'm thinking also.

kswiston

The Faceless Master said:
if we get custom tags and 200 posts per page, i'm in!

Haha. Just need to sell Evilore on the idea. Access to NPD data on subscriber sub-forum, subscriber user names in gold instead of blue, 200 post-per-page option, and the return of the search feature for subscribers. $50 a year.

Road

B-Rad Lascelle said:
Which one of these guys is in the best position to make a move on NPD's hallowed gaming data ground? And what is needed to make it happen (i.e. cash infusion, manpower, creative approach to doing what NPD does but better/cheaper, etc.)
The Nielsen company is the only one that could compete with NPD. In fact, they already track retail point-of-sales for pretty much everything but video-games.

Speevy

Banned
These numbers are pretty boring to me this generation. They were exciting last time around.

If you're still into them, you're not a fanboy. You must really care.

Kusagari said:
Great, we're about to enter the dark ages of the Genesis vs SNES console war all over again. Now, we can only 'rely' on ioi's bs numbers and antecedal evidence. This is only going to make the Kinect vs Move debate 5000x worse.

SonofaBeep said:
MS has a lot more sway with retailers and telling them what to report to NPD than NPD does. I don't understand why it's so crazy to think that Microsoft could tell NPD what to do in a not so subtle way.

You Maniacs! You blew it up! Ah, damn you! God damn you all to hell!

planetofapes.jpg

Dave Long

Banned
The timing of this change is not good for Sony and Microsoft. It really does make it look like they've got something to hide over the next six months as their new products that will supposedly put them on even footing with Nintendo make their debut.

Also, the combination of various SKUs into one reporting entity likely means we'll now see things like Call of Duty sales on ALL SYSTEMS COMBINED INTO ONE NUMBER, thus guaranteeing that multi-platform releases have a better chance of dominating the Top 5.

This could easily be seen as all the third-parties AND Sony and Microsoft banding together against Nintendo.

PSGames

jkanownik said:
Both titles you mentioned are bundled with the hardware (i.e. they could be classified as accessories). The console bundle details wouldn't normally be released either. Look at the reported software numbers from last November and December:

http://vgsales.wikia.com/wiki/NPD_sales_figures

There is no way to make conclusions about the success of Move or Kinect based on whether or not software titles would fall on those charts. Just Dance not being on the list in November and coming in at #20 in December is a perfect example. I don't think this announcement really has any effect on public information on how Move or Kinect are performing.

Wasn't Wii Play included in NPD numbers tho?

kswiston said:
Haha. Just need to sell Evilore on the idea. Access to NPD data on subscriber sub-forum, subscriber user names in gold instead of blue, 200 post-per-page option, and the return of the search feature for subscribers. $50 a year.

I'd probably pay. We'd probably have to sign NDA's though. And we'd get the whole spreadsheet.

The question then becomes what happens if we end up under 10K or whatever the number is? That report is really fucking expensive.

But that would only solve part of the problem. The other half of the problem, the general gaming board, would still devolve into shit since the people with the #'s can't talk about them so the people not in the know will run their mouths unchecked.

Mrbob

The worst part of this is any company can now show their shipping number and try to pawn it off as a sold through number. Or just show pure dollar amount.

Cheech said:
This makes a ton of sense, actually. But still, I would be shocked if it was just one customer screaming for this change. DLC sales have gotten too big for the publishers to not be involved, IMO.

Does it really?

Company A has been fairly clear that it doesn't expect their product to set the world afire saleswise out of the gate, and is considering it to be a slow burner / long tail type of deal.

Convsersely, someone else has been on a huge PR offensive as to how their new addon is going to outsell the most successful consumer electronics launch in recent memory and be the hottest thing since sliced electronic jesus.

Which company of those two would be embarassed more by public sales figures should they not live up to expectations?

Let's put it another way;
Remember when 'common wisdom' was that Nintendo were artificially withholding supply of the Wii to inflate demand? And the sales figures proved that to not be the case at all?

What if there were no sales figures? Killing off that 'common wisdom' even WITH sales figures was nearly impossible!

Speevy

Banned
mj1108 said:
I remember this happening one time before then not long after NPD changed it's mind....

They stopped giving numbers for every single piece of software at one point. Posts that contained this information were purged I believe.

Beezy

Segata Sanshiro said:
Yes, having fewer facts in hand often makes for more elevated discourse.

I heard Yale is burning their library just so that things can be more pleasant on a day-to-day basis on the campus.
u mad

Road

I wouldn't hold my breath for leaks. We haven't had anything leak to us since that totals in Jan. 2008, or more than 2 years ago. Almost nothing leaks for Europe where Chart-Track holds the monopoly either.

The only hope is for Enterbrain to continue to be allowed to publish the top 10 with the 1 month delay.

gcubed

the conspiracy theories posted in this thread are quickly surpassing OT levels. I blame the CIA because the Assange dude wanted to see the numbers, so the CIA had to quickly hire someone to be raped by him and then shut down NPD public reveals.

Dave Long said:
This could easily be seen as all the third-parties AND Sony and Microsoft banding together against Nintendo.
Winner winner chicken dinner!
This has everything to do with 4-year-old Mario Kart DS trouncing single SKU sales of certain multiplatform titles released that very month.

SlipperySlope said:
I'd probably pay. We'd probably have to sign NDA's though. And we'd get the whole spreadsheet.

The question then becomes what happens if we end up under 10K or whatever the number is? That report is really fucking expensive.
I'll pay up front. $100 or less. Get 99 more of me and we're set.

SlipperySlope said:
But that would only solve part of the problem. The other half of the problem, the general gaming board, would still devolve into shit since the people with the #'s can't talk about them so the people not in the know will run their mouths unchecked.
Screw those guys. We'll have the '+' boards all to ourselves to partake in civil discussion. Let the general gaming board devolve into GameFAQs.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Look on the bright side guys, now that we won't have the monthly NPD thread maybe we can have the old search feature back!

Road

gcubed said:
the conspiracy theories posted in this thread are quickly surpassing OT levels. I blame the CIA because the Assange dude wanted to see the numbers, so the CIA had to quickly hire someone to be raped by him and then shut down NPD public reveals.
It is a preview of GAF without numbers. Clearly much better than before.

Corto

People! Calm down people. Crisis averted. I have a reliable source to leak the numbers:

Shadow_Man-286x315.png

From now on he would like to be referred as "Dip Throat" due to obvious copyright issues that could arise.

Dave Long

Banned
B-Rad Lascelle said:
Winner winner chicken dinner!
This has everything to do with 4-year-old Mario Kart DS trouncing single SKU sales of certain multiplatform titles released that very month.
They could easily get around this by giving out more information instead of less, too. Simply have a Top 10 for games released in that month and another Top 10 for games released before the month began. Instant separation and also retained credibility.

The more I think about it, I think everyone in the industry probably wants this change with the exception of Nintendo, and Nintendo have usually not worried too much about sales figures because videogames are their main business and they're not going anywhere regardless of what the charts say.

It's everyone else that's running scared on a month to month basis.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
kswiston said:
Time to release NeoGAF+. $50 a year, with access to NPD numbers on a private sub-forum for subscribers. Only need 200 members to break even!
Can we go in to the poor people NPD thread and make vague statements?
"If you knew the real figures you would be very happy or disappointed depending on your outlook and original position"
"If each sale was an inch long and you put them all in a line they would be longer or shorter than a pool cue, but no longer or shorter than a tennis racket"
"There are 5 games, one game sold twice as much as another game which sold 5,000 more copies than another game. The best selling game sold 3 times as much as the second lowest selling game which...."

Speevy

Banned
I have a solution for those wanting to know how Kinect will sell.

Camp outside Microsoft the day after launch. If you see several groups of angry black men in wheelchairs, and they're wearing several layers of clothes while picketing, you'll know it was a success.

Hmmm...hopefully, things might actually have a shot at going back toward the old days when everything NPD was a leak coming from some other place on the 'net but still posted in one thread here.

duckroll

kswiston said:

Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha 50 bucks a year. Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha. Sorry.

GhaleonEB

gcubed said:
Aye. Sometimes the simplest explanations are also the most likely: NPD is withholding more information so as to drive up their subscription numbers and improve their revenue. Which they can do without worry because they have no competition.

How much does it cost to subscribe? Just curious.

And damn GAF just lost one of its killer assets.

But seriously now we have to rely on unconfirmed leaks and shitty PR to get our sales fix.

Elios83

It's not a tragedy, the three manufacturers will release the numbers themselves when they have something to brag about and when they don't...it's because they won't have anything to brag about :lol :lol
Hopefully this won't start a trend of fake leaks around the net though....

Jinfash said:
Look on the bright side guys, now that we won't have the monthly NPD thread maybe we can have the old search feature back!
This would be a worthy exchange, but IIRC this was related to the sheer use of the board on average, not just at peak levels like NPD Day.

Guevara

poppabk said:
"There are 5 games, one game sold twice as much as another game which sold 5,000 more copies than another game. The best selling game sold 3 times as much as the second lowest selling game which...."
:lol

This is still better than what PR will put out.

Road said:
It is a preview of GAF without numbers. Clearly much better than before.

Take Two was so embarrassed by how badly NBA2k10 was outsold by just the Wii version of NBA Jam, they shut the whole thing down.

Occam's razor GAF >>> Sales-Age

duckroll said:
Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha 50 bucks a year. Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha. Sorry.

If you find another 199 posters, I'd drop it.

FOR

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Dave Long said:
The more I think about it, I think everyone in the industry probably wants this change with the exception of Nintendo, and Nintendo have usually not worried too much about sales figures because videogames are their main business and they're not going anywhere regardless of what the charts say.
But the sales figures have helped cement the 3rd parties don't sell on Wii theory. Given the large off chart sales of Wii games, they actually have a lot to lose, depending on what data subscribers see and pay attention to.

SonOfABeep said:
it's very possible MS wants to hide the inevitable failure of kinect and it's software.

:lol so many dumb posts in here. Anyway, I think this is pretty terrible. It's not because of fanboyism, but because--as others have noted--that this is a piece of the industry that has been discussed. Since NPD is everything-numbers, that means we get no numbers, except other groups trying to estimate like Chartszszs. I think this is a really, really bad decision on NPD's part.

Cygnus X-1

Mama Robotnik said:
They've give us free data for years. They have been insanely generous, and I salute them for that.

Just a question: all this tracking sure costs, right? Who are the people that are interested in these numbers professionally outside the three constructors and developers?

jvm

Gamasutra.
Top Bottom