• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD will no longer release monthly hardware/software unit sales

Cheech

MrNyarlathotep said:
Does it really?

Company A has been fairly clear that it doesn't expect their product to set the world afire saleswise out of the gate, and is considering it to be a slow burner / long tail type of deal.

Convsersely, someone else has been on a huge PR offensive as to how their new addon is going to outsell the most successful consumer electronics launch in recent memory and be the hottest thing since sliced electronic jesus.

Which company of those two would be embarassed more by public sales figures should they not live up to expectations?

I do not think Microsoft gives a shit. If Kinect bombs, it will be obvious.

If Kinect completely and totally bombs, we will see the third Xbox in 2012 instead of 2013/14.

I really think the major third party publishers have more to lose than the hardware vendors with these public NPD numbers, because the timeline for sales is shorter by an order of magnitude. There is just so much money to be made in DLC today, early/mid term unit sales are critical. When NPD drops and your game bombs, who is going to buy the DLC?

PSGames

vicissitudes said:
The idea is 200 people pool $50 a year and one person out of those subscribes at $10,000 a year, then shares the numbers privately with the other 200 without NPD knowing about it. How is this in any way ridiculous or unfeasible?

Wouldn't this be illegal?

kswiston

vicissitudes said:
The idea is 200 people pool $50 a year and one person out of those subscribes at $10,000 a year, then shares the numbers privately with the other 200 without NPD knowing about it. How is this in any way ridiculous or unfeasible?

That's the general idea. In reality though, it would take all of one month for the numbers to leak and GAF to lose its subscription.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
EpicThreadEnd.gif

PSGames said:
Wouldn't this be illegal?
Quite. But beyond that, the fact that GAF has seemingly merited special NPD attention in the past means that the notion that we could sneak this sort of thing past them is patently ludicrous on its face.

vicissitudes said:
Moving away from the issue of cost, let's talk about the idea's elephant in the room: How, exactly, would you prevent (key word) those 200 people from leaking those numbers? An important point, as NPD would most likely cancel the subscription at the first sign of a leak.

Karma said:
It is also possible that Move is selling terribly and Sony wants to hide the complete failure.

These kind of post will be very common now.
i hope claiming to have seen the numbers becomes bannable.

even if you actually have seen them i don't want to see you dropping hints and acting like you're special.

vicissitudes said:
Nobody wants to go to jail for violating an NDA?

Ecotic

Goddammit!! WTF?? Seriously, this sucks. NPD day is always something to look forward to.

Numbers are everything. This is like politics without polls or something. I need to know whose winning to make sense of things. Without numbers this generation I'd have assumed the Wii was failing badly due to third-party support instead of the truth. I can't just go by commercials, shelf space, third-party support, etc.

duckroll said:
Oh, so you're suggesting that we start an illegal sub-forum to pirate data? Is that what you're suggesting?

The idea isn't so outlandish, but still impossible.

We did used to post the complete chart every month on our main forum, and it took NPD years to figure it out.

But yeah, it's not gonna happen.

Draft

So, are people who leak numbers going to be banned? Are those leaks going to be edited out by mods? Seems that there is no longer any reason to treat NPD leaks differently than any of the other leaks that get discussed here.

LCfiner

While I like my sales age as much as the next industry focused geek, the idea of grouping together a bunch of gaffers to pay for a subscription is absolutely insane.

The numbers aren't that important.

Darklord

Banned
Draft said:
So, are people who leak numbers going to be banned? Are those leaks going to be edited out by mods? Seems that there is no longer any reason to treat NPD leaks differently than any of the other leaks that get discussed here.

You get banned for posting leaked info?

Guevara

Zero-Crescent said:
Moving away from the issue of cost, let's talk about the idea's elephant in the room: How, exactly, would you prevent (key word) those 200 people from leaking those numbers? An important point, as NPD would most likely cancel the subscription at the first sign of a leak.

I think GAF would learn a very important lesson about piracy that day.

Karma said:
It is also possible that Move is selling terribly and Sony wants to hide the complete failure.

These kind of post will be very common now.
We can do better than that, after all, September is a year after the release of the PS3 slim and I don't think they're going to enjoy talking about ending their 13 months of year on year sales improvements and avoiding the fact that September's likely to be a 30%+ drop YoY. ;)

Cheech

vicissitudes said:

Well, NPD would issue a nasty letter to EviLore to take the numbers down, and if he didn't comply he would be sued into oblivion. The person who leaked the data would be destroyed, and if s/he has kids, they would be eating ramen for years to come.

It is arguably not worth it for a few hours' a month of animated GIF parties and fanboy trolling. :lol

Draft said:
personally, i hope so. we have no way of verifying the numbers.

so anyone could CLAIM to have seen the move vs kinect numbers and CLAIM that the one they want to see failing is failing. even someone that knows that they're lying... well, they couldn't prove it.

we can talk about what's selling where based on verifiable info, like always, but i think claiming to have insider info on unreleased sales figures is just going to be a dick move (even if you actually have the numbers you can't prove it).

PSGames

Draft said:
I'm asking.

I think GAF had an arrangement with NPD before that's why they didn't allow leaks. Now that we (presumably) won't have access to the numbers I'm sure discussing leaks will be just fine(as long as we aren't the source of the leak of course).

i'm going to miss the crow most of all... ah well.

i've always believed that public console sales numbers helped minimise system wars. i hope i am wrong.

duckroll said:
Oh, so you're suggesting that we start an illegal sub-forum to pirate data? Is that what you're suggesting?

Which is why I carefully left out the "on a GAF sub-forum" part. That's clearly not feasible, but certainly 200 people could do this through other means.

Cheech said:
Well, NPD would issue a nasty letter to EviLore to take the numbers down, and if he didn't comply he would be sued into oblivion. The person who leaked the data would be destroyed, and if s/he has kids, they would be eating ramen for years to come.

It is arguably not worth it for a few hours' a month of animated GIF parties and fanboy trolling. :lol

:lol :lol I love how you added that word.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
plagiarize said:
i'm going to miss the crow most of all... ah well.

i've always believed that public console sales numbers helped minimise system wars. i hope i am wrong.
I'll miss the nuance of real data versus the black and white of memedom.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
vicissitudes said:
Which is why I carefully left out the "on a GAF sub-forum" part. That's clearly not feasible, but certainly 200 people could do this through other means.
Make that 2000 people and maybe you'll be close.

Fio

Maybe someone with a better knowledge about copyright laws can clear this up, but can NPD sue NeoGAF if someone leaks the data here? I mean, it's not like NeoGAF is breaking some contract, leaks aren't illegal and it wouldn't be GAF's obligation to prevent them.

Once again, maybe leaking NPD info is not the same as leaking other kind of information, I'm just guessing, it'd be good if someone could explain this.

Cimarron

=( Why would they do this? I was begining to look forward to NPD threads even more when the announced the Possibility of DLC #'s! :(

Fio said:
Maybe someone with a better knowledge about copyright laws can clear this up, but can NPD sue NeoGAF if someone leaks the data here? I mean, it's not like NeoGAF is breaking some contract, leaks aren't illegal and it wouldn't be GAF's obligation to prevent them.

Once again, maybe leaking NPD info is not the same as leaking other kind of information, I'm just guessing, it'd be good if someone could explain this.
Something tells me when you subscribe to their service, there are terms of use that say you can't freely disseminate the data.

Chrange

Banned
Mooreberg said:
Good news for forums and podcasts. Though slightly suspicious with Kinect around the corner.

Hey conspiracy nut, isn't it Move that's in the first batch of NPD affected by this? :lol

bakemono said:
:(

And I was doing good too in the prediction GAF.

It's PACHTER that's behind it! Doesn't want to be beaten and ruin the mystique!

Fio

Neuromancer said:
Something tells me when you subscribe to their service, there are terms of use that say you can't freely disseminate the data.

I'm pretty sure there's such clause, but it'd be NPD's obligation to identify and prevent the leaks, not NeoGAF's.

I believe gaf is where it is at today because of the NPD. Its how I found this site, I bet its how a ton of you guys found the site. This was the site to get the numbers (I am talking way back when we had all the numbers). Its time for a new site to take charge and be that site.

MiamiWesker said:
I believe gaf is where it is at today because of the NPD. Its how I found this site, I bet its how a ton of you guys found the site. This was the site to get the numbers (I am talking way back when we had all the numbers). Its time for a new site to take charge and be that site.

:lol Holy shit, for real?

Haunted

Why are the box office numbers openly available again? Not to mention they're updated daily and super accurate. We need something like this for game sales. :(

WrikaWrek said:
This is a breakthrough for Sony fans imo.
cold blooded

MrPliskin

Banned
vicissitudes said:

Legality aside, the fact that anyone would be willing to pay for, what is essentially a spread sheet of data, is pretty funny in and of itself :lol

Why would NPD numbers be that important to you?

Haunted

MrPliskin said:
Legality aside, the fact that anyone would be willing to pay for, what is essentially a spread sheet of data, is pretty funny in and of itself :lol

Why would NPD numbers be that important to you?
wrong thread?

Fairly sure poopooing sales-age with the "it's just games, man!" argument in this thread nets you a quick trip to bansville.
Population: you.

apana

This is probably really good for sony fans. Anyways what is NPD exactly, some sort of super computer? Why cant Gaf get the numbers directly from retailers.

Top Bottom