• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD will no longer release monthly hardware/software unit sales

MiamiWesker said:
I believe gaf is where it is at today because of the NPD. Its how I found this site, I bet its how a ton of you guys found the site. This was the site to get the numbers (I am talking way back when we had all the numbers). Its time for a new site to take charge and be that site.

So...chartz is the new Gaf?

Garjon

Terrible news but do you really think it was one of the big 3 who forced this? NPD has been heading this way for months, nay years. Plus, some of the PAL charts have stopped giving out numerical data altogether.

I don't think the ownerz of chartzzzz should be popping champagne corks just yet though; I don't think any big publisher/developer/analyst would be stupid enough to actually use their data
except Square Enix

Karma said:
Clearly Sony was embarrassed to show Move`s low numbers.
Clearly Panasonic re-entered the gaming industry on the condition that the NPD make some changes.

Now, tin-foil hat brigade, let's see how we can work Apple, Cisco, General Electric, Google, Toyota, William Shatner, Tommy Tallarico, Trip Hawkins, and John Romero into this conspiracy.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
MiamiWesker said:
I believe gaf is where it is at today because of the NPD. Its how I found this site, I bet its how a ton of you guys found the site. This was the site to get the numbers (I am talking way back when we had all the numbers). Its time for a new site to take charge and be that site.

as if we're all just sitting on NPD numbers and refusing to share them, just waiting for some Ukrainian blog to show us how it's done.

KJ_Wii

Neo Member
kswiston said:
I don't know the real answer, but perhaps it has to do with the fact that a game is considered "sold" by publishers when they sell to retail, but studio earnings on movies are based on a percentage of actual ticket sales by theatres. Theatres are obligated to share their box office info, but I doubt retail companies are obligated to share their videogame sell-through numbers. NPD has worked out agreements with a lot of retailers to get their sales info. No one else seems interested in bothering to do the same.

It's not so much that no one else has bothered, but that NPD has retailers locked into exclusive deals (particularly with Gamestop) that make it infeasible for someone else to enter the market.

B-Rad Lascelle said:
The real solution to this is for GAF to create its own market research firm and simply do NPD's job better than NPD does.

Then we can branch out like Google did and start building cars that drive themselves and the like.

I always thought GAF would've been better off building up VG-Chartz and making it better than tearing it down. Maybe by now we would've had a legitimate NPD competitor. Oh well.

jvm said:
I tried this. Like two weeks ago. Barely anyone cared (judging from traffic figures).

Here: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/...ugust_Include_Kane__Lynch_Golds_Gym_Title.php

Here's the chart:

August was probably a particularly bad month to debut that chart, but it would still need numbers to be relevant to most people.

B-Rad Lascelle said:
NPD charges over $100,000 per gaming sales data subscription?
Yikes. I'm in the wrong line of work.

Closer to that then $10,000, anyway. Was amusing to read the first several pages with such a wrong assumption on the pricing. Closer to $10,000 per month than per year, heh.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Zero-Crescent said:
Clearly Panasonic re-entered the gaming industry on the condition that the NPD make some changes.

Now, tin-foil hat brigade, let's see how we can work Apple, Cisco, General Electric, Google, Toyota, William Shatner, Tommy Tallarico, Trip Hawkins, and John Romero into this conspiracy.

John Romero invests in General Electric who funds development on a green engine for Google's self-driving car from Toyota. Tommy Tallarico is funded to do the self-driving car commercial's music while William Shatner narrates. Trip Hawkin's funds Cisco routers that power Apple and General Electric's networks. Apple is in cahoots with Panasonic to make an Apple Pippin 2 that is secretly Sega's Dreamcast 3. (YES, 3!)

OH GOD! EVERYTHING IS CONNECTED! I'M ONLY ONE DEGREE FROM A KEVIN BACON CONNECTION!

MrPliskin

Banned
Haunted said:
wrong thread?

Fairly sure poopooing sales-age with the "it's just games, man!" argument in this thread nets you a quick trip to bansville.
Population: you.

I'm not poopooing sales-age, nor saying "it's just games". Just laughing (along with duckroll, if I'm not mistaken) at the concept of people actually wanting to pay money for these numbers.

Stumpokapow said:
as if we're all just sitting on NPD numbers and refusing to share them, just waiting for some Ukrainian blog to show us how it's done.

I honestly did find it odd how NPD would only let GAF get the numbers. Did Evilore get them for free or did he subscribe? I'd imagine subscribing would cost a pretty penny. But I mean, if people who are subscribers are still getting the numbers, surely they will still be leaked...right?

Stumpokapow said:

No I understand what happened to this site and that is fine. What you guys do is the best you can.

MrPliskin

Banned
perfectchaos007 said:
I honestly did find it odd how NPD would only let GAF get the numbers. Did Evilore get them for free or did he subscribe? I'd imagine subscribing would cost a pretty penny. But I mean, if people who are subscribers are still getting the numbers, surely they will still be leaked...right?

I think that depends. Some will use the numbers in their earnings calls and possibly PR, but i don't really expect Sony or Microsoft to release any PR to the masses about sales now that NPD is almost completely private. They don't have to get "good light" in the eye's of the media, since most outlets won't cough up the money to sub.

I think we'll see "numbers" done quarterly or something by publishers and MS/Sony/Nintendo, but nothing monthly, at least that won't be the norm, I'd think.

Malio

Good. Now maybe we can get back to GAMES instead of caring about how much money soul-less, non-gaming companies earn.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
MrPliskin said:
I'm not poopooing sales-age, nor saying "it's just games". Just laughing (along with duckroll, if I'm not mistaken) at the concept of people actually wanting to pay money for these numbers.
He is laughing with the idea that with $50 per year you'll get access to NPD numbers.

Really sad to see NPD do this. The NPD figures were what brought me to GAF originally, I am a sales-age person at heart..very unfortunate. Hopefully people start leaking the numbers, or the publishers post the figures for us :/

szaromir said:

"Originally Posted by AniHawk
Man, DS sales suck. Is there anyone who still thinks it wont get steamrolled by the PSP here?"

:lol Oh how times have changed..

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Ps3 now the master in every sales chart

0wned

Really though: I support this move. While the gaming industry's numbers wheren't already much open, I support it being as closed of an industry as possible to outsiders.

Patriotsbball5460 said:
Really sad to see NPD do this. The NPD figures were what brought me to GAF originally, I am a sales-age person at heart..very unfortunate. Hopefully people start leaking the numbers, or the publishers post the figures for us :/

"Originally Posted by AniHawk
Man, DS sales suck. Is there anyone who still thinks it wont get steamrolled by the PSP here?"

:lol Oh how times have changed..
'Holy crap that was all one month sales? People who've been around since then surely must have seen this coming then

MrPliskin

Banned
Chris1964 said:
He is laughing with the idea that with $50 per year you'll get access to NPD numbers.

Ah, well then we are laughing at different things. I still think the thought of paying for numbers is kind of funny (for the average everyday consumer) :lol

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Malio said:
Good. Now maybe we can get back to GAMES instead of caring about how much money soul-less, non-gaming companies earn.

Except that this forum is about video games and the video game industry as a whole. Industry analysis is a welcome topic. Why do you promote ignorance?

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Malio said:
I never thought about it like this before. Thanks.

Banned
MrPliskin said:
Ah, well then we are laughing at different things. I still think the thought of paying for numbers is kind of funny (for the average everyday consumer) :lol

You should read and post in the 'average everyday consumer' thread.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
MrPliskin said:
Hardcore sales-age doesn't refer to the average everyday consumer.

MrPliskin

Banned
Chris1964 said:
Hardcore sales-age doesn't refer to the average everyday consumer.

Eh, I get that it isn't "for" the average everyday consumer, but in the end, you're still just a consumer who happens to have interest in the performance of said software / hardware. I'm moderately interested in sales, but certainly not enough to give up any of my money just to know the numbers and discuss them.

LCfiner

Liara T'Soni said:
Damn, I was pretty interested in seeing how Reach sold...

Oh well, guess it's just a distraction that's gone now.

I’m not sure if this is sarcasm…

MS is guaranteed to say how many copies it sold because it’s going to be a lot. they’ll want to show off.

It’s games that are somewhere else in the top 20 in sales that we’ll never know about now.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
LCfiner said:
I’m not sure if this is sarcasm…

MS is guaranteed to say how many copies it sold because it’s going to be a lot. they’ll want to show off.

It’s games that are somewhere else in the top 20 in sales that we’ll never know about now.
But it probably shipped more than it sold - so why not go with that figure?

LCfiner

poppabk said:

shit, you’re right. I forgot about that

yeah, they’ll probably all report inflated shipped numbers from here on out.

Someone should shop that old penny arcade comic where they ask Peter Moore how much your game sucks with something like:

So, how much did Kinect sell?

A: We shipped over 10 million Kinect units this holiday season

So, how much did Kinect Sell?

So, how much does Kinect suck?

Zachack

poppabk said:
I can assure you that Microsoft will include actual sales numbers if Reach can sell more than they shipped.

AniHawk

Zero-Crescent said:

OK, here's what we've got: Microsoft, in conjunction with the Panasonic under the supervision of the reverse vampires are forcing David Riley to go to bed early in a fiendish plot to eliminate the reveal of numbers.

We're through the looking glass, here, people.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Zachack said:
I can assure you that Microsoft will include actual sales numbers if Reach can sell more than they shipped.
You'll never be able to prove that it didn't sell more than they shipped though. :lol

hamchan

Wow this is terrible news. I'm actually willing to donate some money into a pool so we can buy the numbers. How can the days of system wars be over?

Zachack

poppabk said:
You'll never be able to prove that it didn't sell more than they shipped though. :lol
I will bet money that I can prove that Reach did not sell more than they shipped.

A lot of money.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
I miss the old days of super NPD leaks ;_; Never since have I gotten to know how much or little a niche fave of mine sold.

AniHawk said:
OK, here's what we've got: Microsoft, in conjunction with the Panasonic under the supervision of the reverse vampires are forcing David Riley to go to bed early in a fiendish plot to eliminate the reveal of numbers.

We're through the looking glass, here, people.

You really do never miss an opportunity.

Zertez

I apologize if this was already answered, I did not see an reply. Does this mean NPD wont allow members to post the data now?I seem to remember about a year ago, NPD stopped releasing the data, so a member had to post it. Are subscribers banned for posting the info to the public? If not, how exactly will this affect the same subscribers from posting the numbers?

Top Bottom