• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD will no longer release monthly hardware/software unit sales

I had largely lost interest in sales after they took a heavy chunk of software sales data out of the picture anyway, so this news doesn't upset me that much.

I really, really miss those days when we had access to just about any software number.

Guys, I have to apologize...

This is my fault. I forgot to predict for this month so I had to make a call to NPD to cover for me. I didn't think they'd go this far though :(

LCfiner said:
I’m not sure if this is sarcasm…

MS is guaranteed to say how many copies it sold because it’s going to be a lot. they’ll want to show off.

It’s games that are somewhere else in the top 20 in sales that we’ll never know about now.

It's not just the sales of Reach, it's also the relation to other games sales, and how well the game holds month after month.

We will probably never know how Halo holds up to Black Ops.

And I wouldn't be surprised to see "300 million in revenue on the first day" or whatever from Microsoft. If they give a "1.5 million sold" then fantastic, but even then, that's not painting the picture that NPD used to.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Zachack said:
I will bet money that I can prove that Reach did not sell more than they shipped.

A lot of money.
But how will you prove it. With VGC hartz? Ha good luck?
I believe that nintendo did actually sell more Wii's than they shipped in one December due to the voucher program.

knitoe

I remember they trying this same shit before. They reverse quickly after all the uproar and bad press. I wouldn't be surprise if did the same soon.

AniHawk said:
OK, here's what we've got: Microsoft, in conjunction with the Panasonic under the supervision of the reverse vampires are forcing David Riley to go to bed early in a fiendish plot to eliminate the reveal of numbers.

We're through the looking glass, here, people.

:lol

<3

AAK

I'm sure it'll be recorded somewhere. Too valuable information for these multi-billion dollar companies.

We'll get our numbers... just not in a nice, organized, bs-filtered, timely manner. :lol

KJ_Wii said:
I always thought GAF would've been better off building up VG-Chartz and making it better than tearing it down. Maybe by now we would've had a legitimate NPD competitor. Oh well.
^ this is the funniest thing to come out of this news.

if only gaf had supported VG Chartz, they would be competing with NPD?

that's funny in so many ways.

Zertez, it sounds like a subscriber is only allowed to post their own numbers.

so Microsoft can post the sales of Halo Reach and the Xbox 360, but not Sony's or Nintendo's figures.

we don't know what's driving this, so we have no idea that the pressure causing them to do this isn't insurmountable.

i think it's a bad idea. i don't think box office receipts are a bad thing, and i think we need more figures, not less, but what can you do?

AniHawk said:
OK, here's what we've got: Microsoft, in conjunction with the Panasonic under the supervision of the reverse vampires are forcing David Riley to go to bed early in a fiendish plot to eliminate the reveal of numbers.

i can't believe you missed out the bit about the time machine.

Microsoft would never have started this whole thing if Ken Kutaragi (who had been brought to our future from his past) hadn't defected from the nation of Sony and travelled back with the Kinect sales figures to warn Microsoft of the days to come.

Sure we will still get monthly numbers in the form of corporate gloating from the platform holders quoting NPD data. Though things will get troublesome when they start talking about how "the PlayStation/Xbox/Nintendo family sold X amount of units outselling the competition".

Taurus

AniHawk said:

Bwahaha! :lol

Such a great episode. :)

dLMN8R

This is a good thing. NPD and its partners are probably fed up with console fanboys distorting their numbers into having far greater meaning than was ever intended.

NPD is intentionally United States and retail-only. Console fanboys argue endlessly over numbers without realizing this. European and other American markets are totally ignored in the end despite the fact that they're usually far different from the United States market.

dLMN8R said:
This is a good thing. NPD and its partners are probably fed up with console fanboys distorting their numbers into having far greater meaning than was ever intended.

NPD is intentionally United States and retail-only. Console fanboys argue endlessly over numbers without realizing this. European and other American markets are totally ignored in the end despite the fact that they're usually far different from the United States market.

Uh, I think most of the people discussing NPD figures are well aware that they don't cover European or Canadian sales.

I doubt the bods at the NPD are really that fussed if some mouthbreathing forum nutjob thinks NPD=WW sales...

WillyFive

sechsterangriff said:
Sure we will still get monthly numbers in the form of corporate gloating from the platform holders quoting NPD data. Though things will get troublesome when they start talking about how "the PlayStation/Xbox/Nintendo family sold X amount of units outselling the competition".

Actually, that sounds fun, because we can act as detectives and theorize how it is in real life by deciphering PR statements.

Boney

Banned
dLMN8R said:

dLMN8R

Cosmonaut X said:
Uh, I think most of the people discussing NPD figures are well aware that they don't cover European or Canadian sales.

I doubt the bods at the NPD are really that fussed if some mouthbreathing forum nutjob thinks NPD=WW sales...
Even if people are fully aware what NPD's figures represent, it's still an incomplete data source lacking a tremendous amount of information that puts those numbers into context.

In the end, they're totally useless and lead to completely pointless fanboy debates with fanboys both working from the same totally incomplete data sets meaning that no one actually knows anything about what those numbers represent on a global scale.

We should celebrate this announcement!

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Garjon said:
I don't think any big publisher/developer/analyst would be stupid enough to actually use their data
except Square Enix

You'd be surprised:
Our numbers have been cited and featured by a number of leading worldwide publications such as Reuters TV, The BBC, CNN Money, The New York Times, Fortune, Business 2.0, Forbes, The New York Post, The Telegraph, The Guardian, The Times, Süddeutsche Zeitung, The Birmingham News, The Toronto Star, The Indianapolis Star, The Inquirer, NU.nl, CNet, Seeking Alpha, O’Reilly Radar, Yahoo Games and The Guinness Book of World Records.

Vgachartz are partying down right now.

Sadist

Oh dear lord really? They were actually quoted? :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

There aren't enough :lol in the world.

dLMN8R

Mooreberg said:
If you don't like it than why are you even in this thread? Oh, wait. Nevermind. Continue. :lol
I don't see how my posts are irrelevant to the thread? It's not like I've been posting in it over and over again.

luxarific said:
You'd be surprised:

Vgachartz are partying down right now.
Luckily, we don't need NPD to laugh at that site - publishers can do the job for us!

http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/starcraft-2/1110167p1.html

^^^ That came the day after the other site announced 1.8 million sales on day 1 :lol

MrPliskin said:
Legality aside, the fact that anyone would be willing to pay for, what is essentially a spread sheet of data, is pretty funny in and of itself :lol

Why would NPD numbers be that important to you?

Because it's fun?

People spend money on things for personal entertainment all the time.

I consider being a retarded console fanboy is also pretty sad but some like youself seem to enjoy it, who am i to take that from you? :)

Haunted

dLMN8R said:
Even if people are fully aware what NPD's figures represent, it's still an incomplete data source lacking a tremendous amount of information that puts those numbers into context.

In the end, they're totally useless and lead to completely pointless fanboy debates with fanboys both working from the same totally incomplete data sets meaning that no one actually knows anything about what those numbers represent on a global scale.

dLMN8R said:

NPD threads won't be going away. We're just going to end up with an even more incomplete set of information leaving more room for fanboy interpretation and bickering.

We should definitely not celebrate this announcement!

Mooreberg

dLMN8R said:
I don't see how my posts are irrelevant to the thread? It's not like I've been posting in it over and over again.

I was joking but I didn't want to do caps lock. Will work harder on faux rage next time. :lol

dLMN8R said:
Firstly... who cares what they represent on a global scale? They're for discussion of the US market, just like Media Create etc is for discussion of the Japanese market.

Secondly, anyone who says this can't have been witness to the bullshit arguments related to European sales... the exact place where we see people posting half of the picture PR, as well as (regularly) ******** numbers as fact.

People who think this means the end to fanboy sales related arguments are going to be in for a bit of a wakeup call over the next few months.

Here's a great example: http://neogaf.net/forum/showthread.php?t=342819 - 13 (7) pages of bollocks

Kusagari

dLMN8R said:

No. All this means is now we'll have completely pointless fanboy debates with fanboys both working from whatever antecedal evidence and chartz numbers they can find.

legend166

NPD must be a horribly run company for them to need to do this.

I can get weekly top 30 sales data from Japan, from two different sources, for free.

I can get a yearly top 500 list from Japan, for free.

I can get weekly top 40 sales rankings from the UK, for free.

I can get daily box office numbers for every relevant release in the US, and weekly numbers for every relevant worldwide market, for free.

I can get weekly DVD sales numbers for every relevant release in the US.

The only thing we can get from NPD is monthly top 5s, without numbers, and now no hardware data at all.

Surely a Nielsen or other tracking company should be able to come in and undercut the crap out of NPD?

dLMN8R

Kusagari said:
No. All this means is now we'll have completely pointless fanboy debates with fanboys both working from whatever antecedal evidence and chartz numbers they can find.
That will just make it more fun to watch!

Victrix

*beard*
GarthVaderUK said:
NPD threads won't be going away. We're just going to end up with an even more incomplete set of information leaving more room for fanboy interpretation and bickering.

We should definitely not celebrate this announcement!

I'm not sure, this could theoretically make them even better honeypot banning threads than they already are

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
legend166 said:
NPD must be a horribly run company for them to need to do this.

I can get weekly top 30 sales data from Japan, from two different sources, for free.

I can get a yearly top 500 list from Japan, for free.

I can get weekly top 40 sales rankings from the UK, for free.

I can get daily box office numbers for every relevant release in the US, and weekly numbers for every relevant worldwide market, for free.

I can get weekly DVD sales numbers for every relevant release in the US.

The only thing we can get from NPD is monthly top 5s, without numbers, and now no hardware data at all.

Surely a Nielsen or other tracking company should be able to come in and undercut the crap out of NPD?
That's not actually free. Famitsu and Media Create White Papers cost more than 30k yen.

Amir0x

Banned
on the one hand, i'm always for the removal of fanboy fodder. On the other, I'm always against the limiting of knowledge no matter how trivial that knowledge may be

KJ_Wii

Neo Member
plagiarize said:
^ this is the funniest thing to come out of this news.

if only gaf had supported VG Chartz, they would be competing with NPD?

that's funny in so many ways.

Not just supported. Co-opted maybe? You think that in four years a dozen smart guys here couldn't accomplish more than what one crackpot has?

Top Bottom