• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NUJV! The Beatles: Rock Band Official Thread...And Your Friends Can Sing

AMUSIX

wwk86x.jpg

The Beatles: Rock Band is a true video game tribute to The Beatles. It is a way of experiencing their incredible library of music, and, with a library of unlockable of facts, never before seen photos, never before heard recordings and other paraphanalia, a way to explore just what the band was doing while the rest of the world was experiencing Beatlemania.

Opening Cinematic

Developer: Harmonix Music Systems
Publisher: Electronic Arts / MTV Games
Guest Engineer: Giles Martin
Platforms: Wii, Xbox 360, Playstation 3
Release Date: 09/09/09
51pjmporQCL._AA280_.jpg
51kKxAjau7L._AA280_.jpg
51LEdQGTGUL._AA280_.jpg

1ynxo2.jpg
mlii6c.jpg

MSRP:
Game only: $59.99
Special Edition: $249.99 includes a Höfner bass controller, The Beatles branded Rock Band drums, microphone, microphone stand, and “special content”
Value Edition: $159.99 includes a Rock Band 1 Guitar, Rock Band 1 Drum Kit, and Microphone
Guitar: $99.99 for either George Harrison’s Gretch Duo-Jet or John Lennon’s Rickenbacker 325
2mg72mv.jpg

167j8z9.jpg

The Band
For anyone not familiar with The Beatles, I have included the following short history:
One of New Zealand’s most experimental power-punk trios, The Beatles made an indelible mark on the 1984 Featherston Bake Off and Talent Competition. Although they first formed in 1972, rugby meets and supper time prevented the Terrif Trio, as they were known, from properly practicing until twelve years later. Following a whirlwind tour of secondary school dances and friends’ weddings, their popularity exploded when they traveled abroad, playing to a Wednesday evening crowd of at least 200 at one Melbourne club. Due to a lack of stamps, no one knows where the Fellas from Fetherston are today, though many believe them to be lost in American Mid-West, as their rental car has yet to be returned to the Cleveland Avis office.

The Songs
The Beatles: Rock Band will have 45 songs on the disk, representing every one of their 13 studio albums. Although the songs can be sorted by their difficulties, the primary listing and game progression focuses on chronological order. This was done to allow players to experience the evolution of The Beatles sound as they progress from their original pop-rock live sound to being an avant-garde studio band.

The following 44 songs are announced, with one track kept a secret until release. All songs were written by Lennon and McCartney, unless otherwise noted.

Singles
I Want To Hold Your Hand
I Feel Fine
Day Tripper
Paperback Writer
Revolution
Don't Let Me Down

Please Please Me (1963)
I Saw Her Standing There
Boys (Dixon, Farrell)
Do You Want To Know A Secret
Twist and Shout (Medley, Russell)

With the Beatles (1963)
I Wanna Be Your Man

A Hard Day's Night (1964)
A Hard Day's Night
Can't Buy Me Love

Beatles For Sale (1964)
Eight Days a Week

Help! (1965)
Ticket To Ride

Rubber Soul (1965)
Drive My Car
I'm Looking Through You
If I Needed Someone (Harrison)

Revolver (1966)
Taxman (Harrison)
Yellow Submarine
And Your Bird Can Sing

Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (1967)
Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band/With a Little Help From My Friends
Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds
Getting Better
Good Morning Good Morning

Magical Mystery Tour (1967)
I Am The Walrus
Hello Goodbye

The Beatles (White Album) (1968)
Dear Prudence
Back In the U.S.S.R.
While My Guitar Gently Weeps (Harrison)
Birthday
Helter Skelter

Yellow Submarine (1969)
Hey Bulldog

Abbey Road (1969)
Come Together
Something (Harrison)
Octopus's Garden (Starkey)
I Want You (She's So Heavy)
Here Comes the Sun (Harrison)

Let It Be (1970)
Dig a Pony
I Me Mine (Harrison)
I Got a Feeling
Get Back

Love (2006)
Within You Without You/ Tomorrow Never Knows (Harrion, Lennon, McCartney)

DLC
While The Beatles: Rock Band in no way integrates with the rest of the Rock Band library, it will have its own downloadable content. On launch day, All You Need is Love will be available for the Xbox 360 (and will be made available to the other two consoles at a later date). Beyond that, DLC will arrive as album packs, with all of the songs needed to complete their respective albums. The first three of these have been announced:

October - Abbey Road
Maxwell's Silver Hammer
Oh! Darling
Because
*the following songs are presented as a single medley*
You Never Give Me Your Money
Sun King
Mean Mr. Mustard
Polythene Pam
She Came in Through the Bathroom Window
Golden Slumbers
Carry That Weight
End
Her Majesty

November - Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band
Fixing a Hole
She's Leaving Home
Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite!
Within You Without You
When I'm Sixty-Four
Lovely Rita
Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (Reprise)
Day in the Life

December - Rubber Soul
Norwegian Wood (This Bird Has Flown)
You Won't See Me
Nowhere Man
Think For Yourself
The Word / Michelle
What Goes On / Girl
In My Life / Wait
Run For Your Life

Environments
The game’s locations are split up into two types. Either the band is playing a live gig at one of their most famous venues, or the band is recording at the Abbey Road Studios. The Abbey Road sessions expand into dreamscapes which place the band in thematic artistic environments.

Cavern Club
2jfj768.jpg

This was the location of the first filmed live performance of the band, as well as a common venue for the pre-Ringo beatles.

Ed Sullivan Theater
2qknqxg.jpg

The single most famous performance(s) by the band, and quite possibly the single most important event in all of Rock.

Shea Stadium
8vtdgo.jpg

The first concert ever to be held at a major outdoor stadium by any band, smashed all attendance and revenue records at the time.

Budokan
2m604ls.jpg

Their first performance in Japan also made them the first rock group to perform at Budokan…something many claimed defiled the martial spirit of the arena.

Apple Corps Rooftop
1zxlks3.jpg

Not so much a concert as it was a last grasp at the four playing together set up for the “Let It Be” film project. Totally unannounced, massively popular, and the cops had to shut it down.

Abbey Road Studio 2
72q69f.jpg

“This is where all the magic happened”…or something. 90% of all studio recordings by the band were done here. Songs played here will expand into the dreamscapes.

Dreamscapes
The dreamscapes are fantasy settings that respond to the music. They range from open fields to seascapes, to flights through the clouds. If there’s anything in the game that could possibly be spoilered, these would be it. So click on the following link at your discretion.

Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band/Little Help from My Friends Dreamscape Video

24c8x6w.jpg

28vd4ht.jpg

With A Little Help From My Friends
The biggest addition to the gameplay is the inclusion of multiple vocal tracks. A key feature of The Beatles’ sound, harmonies work as optional tracks within the vocal chart. A vocalist can choose to have just the melody show and be scored, or, if other microphones are connected, up to two more harmony tracks will also be shown. Because not everyone understands how to sing harmonies, Harmonix have included a fairly in-depth vocal trainer, as well as a more polished drum trainer.

a5jm37.jpg

But there’s no challenge!
No, Mr. Visions-on-Expert, you’re not going to find anything here that will blister those fingers. But that’s not why we’re here. It may sound ridiculous to some, but this is about the experience and history of the single greatest band in the history of rock. Of course, if you really want to challenge yourself, try to handle those vocal harmonies.

But there’s only one band!
Yes, and what a band! Despite what Hef and his playmates may want you to believe, a game CAN be interesting with just one band, if that band is as storied and as diverse as The Beatles. At the start of their career, they were a live pop-rock band. By the end, they were an experimental studio band…being able to play through that evolution is the focus of The Beatles: Rock Band.

But there aren’t any open drum fills!
Unfortunately, this is true. However, the game’s focus on celebrating the works of all four Beatles means Ringo’s fills go unchanged. While Rock Band has spoiled us, open drum fills are the equivalent of playing over a guitarist’s licks.

...and in the end...
Every facet of this game screams Beatles love. If you don't know the band, it's the perfect introduction. If you love the band, it's an incredible addition to any fan collection. If you hate the band...well, if this doesn't get your appreciating them, then I doubt anything will.

Aaron

AMUSIX said:
fixed....right?.....right?!
Shit, Revolver I'd buy in a second. I was speaking only of the announced DLC. Hell, I'll probably buy a few tracks off Rubber Soul anyway. Most of the songs I really wanted are coming with the game though. They'll last me for a good while. Kind of wish there was a replay mode so I could just watch. The vids I've seen of the game so far have not let me down.

GavinGT said:
I never thought this would happen. Next target, Led Zeppelin. Then the genre can die a fiery death.
Have been thinking the same recently. I'm hoping against reality that the success of this game will win over Page and Plant.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
the real release date for this game is whenever Abbey Road hits in its completion.

this is one nice OP, amusix

i've pretty much haven't read anything about it, so it was quite useful to me

i'm all of a sudden pretty excited now

Aaron

Rez said:
the real release date for this game is whenever Abbey Road hits in its completion.
I'm as eager to jam to Mean Mr. Mustard as anyone, but it does come with a good selection from the album already. Nothing wrong with a warm up.

FearX

Neo Member
nice official, really makes me want to buy the big one with 2 guitars and a nice little drumset, allthough i really shouldnt :p

but will be buying this game, when its released in PAL-land (which for once is actually the same date, apperently...)

G-Fex

Wow I can't wait to get this wow those guitars look fucking awesome. Wowow I can't wait to play Sgt. Peppers lonely hearts club band and hard days night and so forth. YAY Maxwells silver hammer is gonna be on there too!

Agent Dormer

Dirty Drinking Smoker
Felt like a thief for getting it for half off (thanks, Amazon Trade-In Program 50% off a single video game purchase special! [that's dead and over, so no need to check for it there or PM about it]), but I can't wait. However, I'm shocked that I'm not really excited for the majority of the DLC. I think they nailed the track listing for the game.

Great job by the OP too.

AMUSIX

diditz said:
Here Comes The SUN KING!

thanks for the thread AMUSIX!

ahem...

huh? power punk trios?
My research was extensive, but there's really not that much information out there about this band. Still, as a True Fan® I'm pretty sure I can stand behind everything posted.

And thanks all for the praise, glad the work was appreciated.

Montresor

Wow at the value edition including Rock Band 1 instruments. Wow.

Aside from that, awesome OP Amusix, and this game certainly is shaping up be quite fun. Dunno if I'll get any DLC for it, but my mind my change once I complete the game's career mode.

Those guitars are smoking hot. Damn.

Makes me want to go out and buy the pack (I'm not going to, I only recently got the standard Rock Band kit).

KTallguy

Banned
I really want this but not sure if I want to spend the money. I don't own any peripherals.
Will this work with a PS3 guitar hero controller?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I'm hyped...PS3 owners oughta add me (as long as I don't have to be Ringo) for I will be playing the shit out of this shit. I might even be getting an honorary bowl cut to celebrate the occasion.

So awesome. Maybe put something in the OP about that big medley version of one of the albums being available as DLC? I forget which one.

LaneDS

shagg_187 said:
This commercial might pump some of you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04JlvZZTQOI

I needed no additional psyching up, but that was indeed a very cool commercial.

I also had no idea they were going to be so gung-ho about the DLC... that's amazing news. Also a bit terrifying to think of the damage it might incur on my wallet, but still, great that the option is there.

Oh, and nice job on the OP. I dun learned a few things.

Aaron

KTallguy said:
I really want this but not sure if I want to spend the money. I don't own any peripherals.
It should, yeah. I'd be very surprised if it didn't.

AMUSIX

KTallguy said:
Yes, it will...
BenjaminBirdie said:
So awesome. Maybe put something in the OP about that big medley version of one of the albums being available as DLC? I forget which one.
OP edited to include this point...it's the B-side of Abbey Road, by the way.

I assume the mic is the same as the old one for this right? I wasn't actually rushing to get the game, but the dual vocal tracks is something I think my missus might enjoy doing with me. :D

AMUSIX

The mic is the same, although the game also works with the wireless lips mic.

To connect three wired mics, you would use the two USB ports in the front of the system, and the one USB port in the back. This is the first game to patch the 360's firmware to be able to use that third port in this manner. Interesting fact, but didn't think it was OP worthy.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Question: I don't have any friends, so could I do the harmonies by singing into my BT headset and the mic at the same time?

Snuggler said:
Question: I don't have any friends, so could I do the harmonies by singing into my BT headset and the mic at the same time?

Wouldn't you have to be some kind of Star Wars character to be able to do that?

AMUSIX

Snuggler said:
Your voice wouldn't be able to do it. That is, unless you can sing two different tones at the same time, which is a rare (but not wholly unheard of) trait. Of course, even then you'd have to have been training your split chords for years already.

AMUSIX

Oh, and I had wanted to use this image in the OP, but couldn't figure out how to fit it in.

Early Beatles just look like they're ready to kick your ass....

b3v1fk.jpg

Top Bottom