• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nutrition Thread |OT| You Can't Outwork A Shit Diet

I do. I cook a week's worth of chicken breast and rice on Saturday, in addition to four days' worth of other food. Then I cook three days' worth of that same food on Wednesday. I also prepare snacks for the day in the morning.
It's easier for me to have a meal plan rather than do IIFYM kind of thing with food diversity. I don't have time for that and I need to make sure I'm able to progress in my lifts when at the gym.

Smart that.

I usually just make my chicken the same day on the foreman grill.

Greek yogurt, eggs, cashews, and an assortment of greens/fruit make the the rest of diet.

Trying to incorporate brown rice and rolled oats more though (for variety's sake).

Ekdrm2d1

I'm getting too old to be eating raw red kale.

redkale.jpg

Chocobro

Smart that.

I usually just make my chicken the same day on the foreman grill.

Greek yogurt, eggs, cashews, and an assortment of greens/fruit make the the rest of diet.

Trying to incorporate brown rice and rolled oats more though (for variety's sake).

Your chicken probably tastes better though lol. I put the chicken breast into a slow cooker, put some BBQ sauce in there, let it cook for a few hours, and shred the chicken.

This is what I eat: MFP link. Going to add greek yogurt + cottage cheese + granola mixture for a snack starting tomorrow.
I'm still in the process of finding my maintenance calories.

Your chicken probably tastes better though lol. I put the chicken breast into a slow cooker, put some BBQ sauce in there, let it cook for a few hours, and shred the chicken.

This is what I eat: MFP link. Going to add greek yogurt + cottage cheese + granola mixture for a snack starting tomorrow.
I'm still in the process of finding my maintenance calories.

Cottage cheese taste damn good but fucks my stomach up something fierce.

Any big difference between rolled and steel cut oats?

Azulsky

Cottage cheese taste damn good but fucks my stomach up something fierce.

Any big difference between rolled and steel cut oats?

Steel Cut has more insoluble fiber. Basically the oat is a granule like a popcorn seed and steel cut is it being cut in 2 just to open it. Rolled is more processing, etc, until you get to quick oats which have no bran left.

The consequences are they take longer to cook and have a slightly different texture. I prefer cooking them in a pot(30min) then letting them settle overnight. You can also do a slow cooker.

I eat steel cut for breakfast every morning with peanut butter and chocolate protein powder.

For Yogurt I am a fan of Fage. I haven't eaten cottage cheese in a while, i know the protein makeup is mostly Casein which is longer burning.

Fage Total has 220kCal, 20g Protein, 11 Fat, 9 Carbs

Fage Total 0% is 130/23/0/9 but tastes kinda meh. Pretty light 250kcal post workout once you add in the scoop of whey powder (total of about 45g protein)

Steel Cut has more insoluble fiber. Basically the oat is a granule like a popcorn seed and steel cut is it being cut in 2 just to open it. Rolled is more processing, etc, until you get to quick oats which have no bran left.

The consequences are they take longer to cook and have a slightly different texture. I prefer cooking them in a pot(30min) then letting them settle overnight. You can also do a slow cooker.

I eat steel cut for breakfast every morning with peanut butter and chocolate protein powder.

How many cups of water do you use per serving?

I'm gonna try that overnight method tonight, I know that's one complaint about steel cut taking so long to cook.

Do you usually just cook a whole weeks worth in 1 go or?

Azulsky

I cook 4 servings at a time so I can pour it into a circular Tupperware and cut it into quarters to reheat in the mornings.

I cook it on the stove, takes about 30 minutes. However it tastes better the next morning as opposed to eating it hot off the stove.

I cook 4 servings at a time so I can pour it into a circular Tupperware and cut it into quarters to reheat in the mornings.

I cook it on the stove, takes about 30 minutes. However it tastes better the next morning as opposed to eating it hot off the stove.

Oh man they turned out way better than I expected them to. I had tried making some Sunday and ended up overcoming them lol. They didn't take all night either, in 4 hours they were done. You add cinnamon or any type of flavoring to it (other than the protein powder)?

Azulsky

Well the peanut butter and chocolate protein powder is the Reese's variant and that's what I eat 99% of my mornings because pb is easy calories(I'm currently trying to increase calories to get me out of this metabolic rut).

Otherwise I usually do blueberries and just smother it with cinnamon.

Dried fruit and nuts can be good.

Unhealthy variations include bacon and maple syrup, molasses, brown sugar, etc.

If I make sunny side up eggs I just throw them on top.

Eggs in oatmeal?

I gotta try sometime. I've also considered adding PB to my diet, getting tired of cashews as my primary source of fats. Just gotta be careful since it tastes so damn good lol.

Azulsky

Eggs in oatmeal?

I gotta try sometime. I've also considered adding PB to my diet, getting tired of cashews as my primary source of fats. Just gotta be careful since it tastes so damn good lol.

I have seen ridiculous things in oatmeal like pineapple, mint or coconut shavings(this one is actually awesome). Its a canvas food.

My relationship with PB is one of tolerance. I actually prefer the taste of almond butter but my wallet does not.

Servbot24

Banned
My diet:

9AM Cassien Shake
12PM Smoothie (grapes, pineapple, banana, spinach, protein powder)
3PM Plain Oatmeal
7PM Workout followed by Quest Bar
10PM Chicken or Eggs, both with cheese
+ snacking on Almonds and Carrots throughout the day

Goal is to maintain current muscle mass and lower BF%. Spot any issues?

Unless you're eating a lot of chicken / eggs and cheese (or almonds), that doesn't look like a lot of calories. What do you calculate it to be?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
My diet:

9AM Cassien Shake
12PM Smoothie (grapes, pineapple, banana, spinach, protein powder)
3PM Plain Oatmeal
7PM Workout followed by Quest Bar
10PM Chicken or Eggs, both with cheese
+ snacking on Almonds and Carrots throughout the day

Goal is to maintain current muscle mass and lower BF%. Spot any issues?

My only recommendation for your specific goal would be to focus on getting mostly fat and protein and, if you must eat carbs, eat them only at night and not spread throughout the day. Eating carbs when you're not looking to bulk up seems rather pointless and even detrimental to me.

Servbot24

Banned
comes out to around 1700 calories which i guess is probs too low (i'm 195lbs)
i usually do throw another snack in there (today i also had a bagel) but i should probably find a staple instead of winging that

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Planned snacking does not seem like a good idea to me. Eating one to three normal sized meals that will keep you satiated until the next one is a much better approach.

Your approach does not seem conducive to optimizing body fat mobilization for energy (which is what you want to do if your goal is losing body fat) in the slightest.

Bit-Bit

You're not doing the Warrior Diet, then. You're doing the "Bit-Bit Diet" that was concocted after reading about the Warrior Diet.

I'm still getting the same amount of fats, proteins, and carbs throughout the day. What does it matter if I swapped the lunch and dinner? I'm still eating in the same intervals...

But thanks, I'll take full credit for inventing the Bit-Bit diet.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I'm still getting the same amount of fats, proteins, and carbs throughout the day. What does it matter if I swapped the lunch and dinner? I'm still eating in the same intervals...

But thanks, I'll take full credit for inventing the Bit-Bit diet.

I haven't read the book, but I'm pretty sure it explains exactly why eating at night is important rather than mid-way through your waking day. At least, the Wikipedia entry about the diet certainly seems to indicate that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warrior_diet

In fact, that seems to be the entire premise of the book.

ILoveBish

I am very much against snacking as well. Snacking is a modern thing, these food companies pumping out horribly processed crap rely on people looking to snack in between meals. Best to have full meals and not even be hungry in the first place. Plus some foods are gateways when snacked, like almonds and peanut butter. Once some people get a taste, they find it hard to stop till they've ate a lot more then they should. IMO, best to avoid snacking altogether, get more equipped with full meals.

GatorBait

For Yogurt I am a fan of Fage. I haven't eaten cottage cheese in a while, i know the protein makeup is mostly Casein which is longer burning.

Fage Total has 220kCal, 20g Protein, 11 Fat, 9 Carbs

Fage Total 0% is 130/23/0/9 but tastes kinda meh. Pretty light 250kcal post workout once you add in the scoop of whey powder (total of about 45g protein)

You've motivated me to try steel cut oats finally since I am done to my last cup of rolled oats. I think I'm going to make a big batch and then freeze it in single servings.

Also, Fage Total 2% is so luxuriously good (I've never tried the full-fat Total). It has a taste and texture that just so much better than all the other Greek yogurts I've tried.

Planned snacking does not seem like a good idea to me. Eating one to three normal sized meals that will keep you satiated until the next one is a much better approach.

Your approach does not seem conducive to optimizing body fat mobilization for energy (which is what you want to do if your goal is losing body fat) in the slightest.

I go with a planned afternoon snack nowadays because I typically eat a later dinner. It helps keep me from stuffing my face right after I get off work or getting fatigued in the gym. I've also done 3 bigger meals and two snacks, and the usual 3 meals. Occasionally, while traveling for business I'll just do 2 bigger meals, or one small morning snack and 2 bigger meals. My rate of fat loss seems to be about the same regardless of method.

Azulsky

You've motivated me to try steel cut oats finally since I am done to my last cup of rolled oats. I think I'm going to make a big batch and then freeze it in single servings.

Also, Fage Total 2% is so luxuriously good (I've never tried the full-fat Total). It has a taste and texture that just so much better than all the other Greek yogurts I've tried.

I go with a planned afternoon snack nowadays because I typically eat a later dinner. It helps keep me from stuffing my face right after I get off work or getting fatigued in the gym. I've also done 3 bigger meals and two snacks, and the usual 3 meals. Occasionally, while traveling for business I'll just do 2 bigger meals, or one small morning snack and 2 bigger meals. My rate of fat loss seems to be about the same regardless of method.

Full Fat is going to just taste very rich at first. Its my jam though. I need to go get more only the local whole foods has it in the big quart container. Tastes soo good with strawberries.

I plan out as many snacks as I need to hit the calorie #. I can only fit so much in meals. Better to spread it out than feel like a super blimp. Ironic how I hate that feeling now but I used to eat to that point on purpose back in the day...

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

Yeah, obviously you need to do what you find works for you. No arguing with results.

I'm mostly speaking from a theoretical point of view and what I've found also works well for me. I prefer to work out hungry (preferably later in the day) and then go for a big meal afterwards.

Then again, I don't bother with meal planning or calorie counting in the slightest.

LtOrange

I was hoping I could get some recommendations for meals on the go. I'm looking for a shake that I can grab when I'm running late or don't have time to prepare a meal. This doesn't happen often, but having something to stop me from going for the bagel/muffin in the office would really help. Huge plus if I can grab it off Amazon.

Just did some fasted cardio and light core workout. All I've had is 2 cups of coffee (1 teaspoon of milk) and some gum. Not hungry at all. This is the first time while doing IF that I've felt like this. Feels kinda good.

I was hoping I could get some recommendations for meals on the go. I'm looking for a shake that I can grab when I'm running late or don't have time to prepare a meal. This doesn't happen often, but having something to stop me from going for the bagel/muffin in the office would really help. Huge plus if I can grab it off Amazon.

Get those 100 calorie greek yogurt packs, add some granola/berries/fruit and you're good to go.

Ugh... I like carrots, but I just tried them in a smoothie and it was VILE. Feel like I need to sandpaper my tongue.

That said, it could well have been the silken tofu that ruined it.

Those who are also doing IF, what are your feeding periods?

I've started feeling eating 2 hours before bed isn't doing me any favors.

that is actually my schedule eat at around 8pm cuz of flash/arrow shows or latest 9 (agent of shield) sleep around 11-12

I'm still loosing weight 135 during president's day. I'm 133 now

Bit-Bit

I haven't read the book, but I'm pretty sure it explains exactly why eating at night is important rather than mid-way through your waking day. At least, the Wikipedia entry about the diet certainly seems to indicate that.

Did you even read what you posted?

Says here it can be modified exactly how I modified it.

Unlike other diets that require counting calories, points, or other adherence to strict controls, the Warrior diet is based on the premise that the human body is programmed to control its own feeding.[7] The one rule regarding feeding is one meal per day, ideally 2 hours before bed. The diet can be modified for those who work at night, or travel frequently by altering the under-feeding phase to coincide with the working hours (whether day or night) and the over-feeding phase to align with the end of working hours.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Did you even read what you posted?

Says here it can be modified exactly how I modified it.

No, it really doesn't... Let me try to make a visual representation.

Here is The Warrior Diet:

IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII FEED IIIIIII

By doing it in the middle of the day, you are doing this:

IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII FEED IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII

It doesn't matter if it's the same 22~24-ish hour interval or if your macros are the same--it's the timing of the FEED part within your day that's important. Here's a quote from the Wikipedia:

The Warrior diet attempts to align feeding and exercise around these biological systems to maximize energy utilization, efficiency and metabolic functions around the circadian clock.

Waking up and eating lunch a few hours later is very different than doing all of your eating at the end of your day, whatever those hours might be.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Hmm, interesting.

I'm gonna try to have it end 4/5 hours before I go to bed for this upcoming week. I'll post an update next Sat.

Nothing wrong with eating a bunch and going to bed very soon afterwards.

Hah
I didn't know there's a specific name for it
I only eat at night because of tv shows. I guess this is the diet I've been doing Lol

Nothing wrong with eating a bunch and going to bed very soon afterwards.

I just remember when I used to stop eating around 6 ( I try to go to bed by 10 usually), I'd feel better the next morning. Eating at 8-9 and then sleeping relatively right after isn't for me.

Mascot

Ugh... I like carrots, but I just tried them in a smoothie and it was VILE. Feel like I need to sandpaper my tongue.

That said, it could well have been the silken tofu that ruined it.
I love avacado pears but those also taste shit in smoothies.

Grated carrot and fresh orange chunks is God food.

siddhu33

At my parents' house this weekend...damn, it's like a minefield of amazing yet unhealthy Indian food everywhere. Biryani, curry, fried fish, sweets, and a load of random snacks...

Keeping up with my caloric requirements though...somehow. I've also realised how little I snack when I'm at university when I see how much snacking happens in the house.

I forget who it was that gave the thread the icecream recipe... but I'm eating my butchered milkshake version of it almost every day now. :D

47g of protein, and I've recently tweaked it with some almond butter for a bit more fat.

Sadetar

I did oh so delicious quark pancakes and home-made chia seed-strawberry-blueberry-raspberry jam to go with it. It perhaps doesn't look particularly awesome, but it was surprisingly tasty.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Had to look up quark! Looks tasty to me, honestly...

By the way, what camera did you use to take that? Really great detail.

Sadetar

Had to look up quark! Looks tasty to me, honestly...

By the way, what camera did you use to take that? Really great detail.
Hahah, now when I look at it I am not sure am I fan of all the great details like my fingerprints. :p

I am actually quite amazed how sharp the pic is since it is just taken with my somewhat old phone (Samsung Galaxy s2 plus). :D

Also what comes to quark it is awesome source for protein. I use it daily and it is cheap.

The one I used on that is around 2,1 euros per one kilo. Per 100 grams it has 12 grams of protein, 4 grams of carbs, 0,3 grams of fat and 61 kcals.

justjohn

Hey fellas.

This is my diet now:
6am
Two scoops protein whey
(Before gym)

9am (after gym)
Two scoops protein whey
Oats with milk

12pm
1 cup brown rice
Chicken
Vegetables
1 fruit

3pm
3 boiled eggs
Walnuts
Fruit

6pm
1 cup brown rice
Vegetables
Fruits
Small fat free yoghurt

9pm
2 scoops protein
1 tbsp peanut butter

Any advice on it would be welcomed. I am trying to lose weight and currently 196lbs.

Top Bottom