• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nutrition Thread |OT| You Can't Outwork A Shit Diet

jts

...hate me...
I did oh so delicious quark pancakes and home-made chia seed-strawberry-blueberry-raspberry jam to go with it. It perhaps doesn't look particularly awesome, but it was surprisingly tasty.
Care to share the recipe?

Over here in the supermarkets there is so much quark and quark variations. Quark by itself is a bit too thick, but Quark+yogurt combo is the bomb.

Very protein dense too. Some of the most inexpensive protein that can be bought.

edit: lol I'm very late to say all this. Still, recipe pl0x.

Dre

Hahah, now when I look at it I am not sure am I fan of all the great details like my fingerprints. :p

I am actually quite amazed how sharp the pic is since it is just taken with my somewhat old phone (Samsung Galaxy s2 plus). :D

Also what comes to quark it is awesome source for protein. I use it daily and it is cheap.

The one I used on that is around 2,1 euros per one kilo. Per 100 grams it has 12 grams of protein, 4 grams of carbs, 0,3 grams of fat and 61 kcals.

Quark is great, it has a high content of casein, which is relatively slowly digested and thus keeps a slow and long-lasting release of amino acids into the blood.

Besides it is super cheap, like you said. I can get my 500g packs for 0,75 €. It's a great alternative for people who cannot afford expensive protein powders for instance.

justjohn

(Posting on new page)

Hey fellas.

This is my diet now:
6am
Two scoops protein whey
(Before gym)

9am (after gym)
Two scoops protein whey
Oats with milk

12pm
1 cup brown rice
Chicken
Vegetables
1 fruit

3pm
3 boiled eggs
Walnuts
Fruit

6pm
1 cup brown rice
Vegetables
Fruits
Small fat free yoghurt

9pm
2 scoops protein
1 tbsp peanut butter

Any advice on it would be welcomed. I am trying to lose weight and currently 196lbs.

Looks reasonably balanced. I'd argue you want some simple carbs after your workout though.

What sort of calories / protein does that calculate out to be?

Oats are complex carbohydrates, slow release energy. Nothing wrong with that, just arguably better to get a hit of quick release carbs after a workout (for instance, adding some honey to those oats).

How does your protein calculate out? I'd argue it's possibly too high on a quick mental calc of it.

Dre

2 cups of rice (cooked I hope) and 3 servings of fruit daily seem like a whole lot of carbs for one day. Obviously you need energy since you're going to the gym on a daily basis, but have you tried to reduce your carb intake and eat more fats instead? Except for eggs, walnuts and peanut butter none of the foods on your list are especially fatty.

Don't cut too much in one go though or else you might feel weaker than usual in the gym.

2 cups of rice (cooked I hope) and 3 servings of fruit daily seem like a whole lot of carbs for one day. Obviously you need energy since you're going to the gym on a daily basis, but have you tried to reduce your carb intake and eat more fats instead? Except for eggs, walnuts and peanut butter none of the foods on your list are especially fatty.

I don't really think carbs are too much of a problem there (Probably around 200g if I'm calculating right). That said, you're right about the fat now I look at it again. I can't get over the 6 scoops of protein powder a day. I hate it when I even have to have one scoop.

I'd calculate it all out... but I can't really be arsed. :p

Dre

If those cups refer to cooked rice, it should indeed net him 200g of carbs per day, that's what I calculated as well and I still think it's a tad too much, but not necessarily bad as he is working out daily. If it's 2 cups of uncooked rice though that should put him at 400g of carbs a day and that would definitely be too much.

But yeah no matter what, you should cut some carbs or protein to up your fat intake, justjohn. As a start maybe ditch that no-fat yogurt and opt for the full-fat one?

justjohn

I think what he's getting at is, what do you do with those scoops? Do you just eat it raw or do you mix it with something like milk or water?
I mix them with water.
Those cups of rice are cooked but i will try and increase fat.tbh i do feel slightly sluggish on this diet and it might be the low fat.

Any advice on it would be welcomed. I am trying to lose weight and currently 196lbs.

How about getting 2% greek yogurt instead of that fat free one?

I ate like a fat ass yesterday (had like a mini flu sat night, woke up starving).
Didn't do too much damage, gained a little less than half a pound but still.

Azulsky

Just did a 22 and half hour fast.

Wasn't as hard as I thought it was going to. Feel like I coulda done 24 hr with ease.

Ive done them before in order to break stalls. I feel like it might have worked one time. The day of the fast was pretty easy I only ingested water and caffeine(black coffee, tea). The day after the hunger was always insane, survived it both times but whew.

Not really convinced it did anything. Most of the purported benefits of Intermittent Fasting seem to come out with only minimal fasting time(12-16 hrs).

I still have days where I eat less because I'm not hungry and I really was sedentary the entire day, otherwise known as Netflix binging.

Ive done them before in order to break stalls. I feel like it might have worked one time. The day of the fast was pretty easy I only ingested water and caffeine(black coffee, tea). The day after the hunger was always insane, survived it both times but whew.

Not really convinced it did anything. Most of the purported benefits of Intermittent Fasting seem to come out with only minimal fasting time(12-16 hrs).

I still have days where I eat less because I'm not hungry and I really was sedentary the entire day, otherwise known as Netflix binging.

Well I mostly did it since I ate so terrible yesterday, felt like I needed a "cleanse".

Eating all my calories in an hour and a half did seem extreme though lol.

I'll be sticking to 18/6 or 20/4 at most.

Azulsky

Well I mostly did it since I ate so terrible yesterday, felt like I needed a "cleanse".

Eating all my calories in an hour and a half did seem extreme though lol.

I'll be sticking to 18/6 or 20/4 at most.

You will be a Coney Island contestant in no time with that regime!

I think both times I did it it was from when I went to sleep on a Thurs night till Saturday morning. Hmm thats rather long now that I am thinking about it.

You will be a Coney Island contestant in no time with that regime!

I think both times I did it it was from when I went to sleep on a Thurs night till Saturday morning. Hmm thats rather long now that I am thinking about it.

Well I took the hodge twins advice when doing a 24 hour fasting period, so I stopped eating at 6:30 yesterday night and when I woke up at 8 this morning that was 13 1/2 hours already. Worked out at 2:30 for about an hour and broke the fast at 5. Coffee was a big help when cravings came in at around noon.

I wanna drop another 20 or so pounds off (5'8 167 now, prolly 23-25% body fat or so) and then do a lean bulk. Haven't been this light since HS.

Sadetar

Care to share the recipe?

Over here in the supermarkets there is so much quark and quark variations. Quark by itself is a bit too thick, but Quark+yogurt combo is the bomb.

Very protein dense too. Some of the most inexpensive protein that can be bought.

edit: lol I'm very late to say all this. Still, recipe pl0x.
In here they are all over the place as well. I eat plain quark with raw chocolate powder and dried berry powders though. I love the thick cremy texture. :p

I can try to share the recipe. :D I just basicly threw things together so I hope I am remembering all ingredients and measures at least about right.

Quark Pancakes

250 grams of unflavoured quark
3-5 eggs (depending of the amount of liquid)
1 dl of flour (I mixed half and half of coconut and almond flour)
0,5 dl of erythritol
a hint of pure vanilla powder
a hint of salt
a bit of almond milk or other liquid

butter or some sort of oil to fry them on the pan

Mix all ingredients together (add enough liquid for it to be easy enough to mix) and let it sit for around 10 minutes. Fry them in somewhat low temperature with good patience. For reference mine has scale from 1 to 6 and I used mainly 3 and once in a while got it up to 4. Do one and if it seems to break into pieces just add an egg or two.

Also if you have any questions I can try to help you. :)

The jam just contains frozen berries that I but to microwave to melt. After that I just added a bit of erythritol and around a tea spoon of chia seeds and smashed it all together and let it sit to next morning.

Quark is great, it has a high content of casein, which is relatively slowly digested and thus keeps a slow and long-lasting release of amino acids into the blood.

Besides it is super cheap, like you said. I can get my 500g packs for 0,75 €. It's a great alternative for people who cannot afford expensive protein powders for instance.
Yay for the Team Quark! <3

Azulsky

Anyone try the Quinoa stuff? What does it taste like? And why shouldn't I just get brown rice for like 20c a serving instead?

Just asking because I saw it at local Sam's club.

The Chef

Great thread, looks like this is the best place to ask this question.

I have been counting macros for 3 weeks now and it have been going well for the most part. Where it has become most difficult is when I end up being short at the end of the day. For example the other night I was 1200 calories and 40g of protein short. So I end up trying to concoct a meal before bed which can be frustrating especially since I am trying to be as healthy as possible (avoiding bad carbs and sugar in the day).
I havent taken any supplements for quite some time but figured this would be perfect addition to helping me meet my macros at the end of the day. So I do a bit of looking around on Amazon and end up getting a really high calorie high protein shake.
It didn't occur to me at the time but once I got it I started to realize that basically this shake I'd be taking at the end of the day would probably be the equivalent of putting 10 eggs in a blender with 4 cups of chocolate milk and 3 scoops of ice cream with peanut butter...
My ultimate goal here is to put on a lot more muscle and do it as clean as possible (summer is only a few months away after all). So to me this protein shake of pouring 200+ carbs and 20g of sugar into my body seems like a bad idea that will just make me fat.

Should I ditch the protein shake and just try and come up with more creative ways of doin a "clean bulk" of sorts?
Any thoughts on this?

Azulsky

The body can only use food at a certain rate. You would do better spreading the calories out throughout the day if you are trying to gain mass.

If you are trying to lose weight you want to titrate protein and consume carbs in a bolus so you don't have constantly elevated insulin.

If you are trying to gain mass you ought to titrate everything to get as much of what you eat in your tissues as possible.

Just for info, you're not on intermittent fasting or anything right? I'm just wondering why you're getting to the end of the day and having so many calories left over? Might just need to improve your meal planning a bit.

It happens to me from time to time, but I only have 6 hours to get all my calories. At which point I eat a pizza or something... because I'd rather bulk dirty than lose weight.

The Chef

Just for info, you're not on intermittent fasting or anything right? I'm just wondering why you're getting to the end of the day and having so many calories left over? Might just need to improve your meal planning a bit.

It happens to me from time to time, but I only have 6 hours to get all my calories. At which point I eat a pizza or something... because I'd rather bulk dirty than lose weight.

Nope, no intermittent fasting.
It is definitely my fault when I am short. Sometimes I expect to have a solid lunch and might only put back like 40g protein at 600 cals which ends up biting me at the end of the day.

Maybe I should consider bigger snacks.
Right now at 10:30 I have:
1/4 cup almonds
1/2 cup greek yogurt
1 Tbsp peanut butter
Ends up being like 20g protein but only 420+ calories.

At 3:30 I do something similar.

I like the point you made though about how you'd rather bulk dirty than lose weight. I can definitely appreciate that so maybe I should just incorporate that gnarly shake...

Great thread, looks like this is the best place to ask this question.

I have been counting macros for 3 weeks now and it have been going well for the most part. Where it has become most difficult is when I end up being short at the end of the day. For example the other night I was 1200 calories and 40g of protein short. So I end up trying to concoct a meal before bed which can be frustrating especially since I am trying to be as healthy as possible (avoiding bad carbs and sugar in the day).
I havent taken any supplements for quite some time but figured this would be perfect addition to helping me meet my macros at the end of the day. So I do a bit of looking around on Amazon and end up getting a really high calorie high protein shake.
It didn't occur to me at the time but once I got it I started to realize that basically this shake I'd be taking at the end of the day would probably be the equivalent of putting 10 eggs in a blender with 4 cups of chocolate milk and 3 scoops of ice cream with peanut butter...
My ultimate goal here is to put on a lot more muscle and do it as clean as possible (summer is only a few months away after all). So to me this protein shake of pouring 200+ carbs and 20g of sugar into my body seems like a bad idea that will just make me fat.

Should I ditch the protein shake and just try and come up with more creative ways of doin a "clean bulk" of sorts?
Any thoughts on this?

What's your macros look like? If you're 1,200 calories short, the 40g of Protein you need will cover 160 calories of that. The remaining 1040 calories would be coming from carbs and fat. I definitely recommend continuing a clean bulk. You can try taking your daily caloric intake (w the exercise frequency calculated in) and add 200-300 calories.

Also, what kind of protein shake are you using? I recommend Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey Gold Standard. 1 scoop (29.4g) gives you 24g Protein w only 3g of Carb and 1g of Fat. Vanilla Ice Cream flavor goes well w milk and water.

Azulsky

I would split the serving into 2 and eat it between meals, consuming it over time. I updated my previous post which reflects why.

Don't know how clean it will be but you can just tailor your portions based on how much weight you gain.

Clean usually refers to eating real food vs iifym.

The Chef

What's your macros look like? If you're 1,200 calories short, the 40g of Protein you need will cover 160 calories of that. The remaining 1040 calories would be coming from carbs and fat. I definitely recommend continuing a clean bulk. You can try taking your daily caloric intake (w the exercise frequency calculated in) and add 200-300 calories.

Also, what kind of protein shake are you using? I recommend Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey Gold Standard. 1 scoop (29.4g) gives you 24g Protein w only 3g of Carb and 1g of Fat. Vanilla Ice Cream flavor goes well w milk and water.

Currently this is what myfittnesspal is set at:

Net Calories Consumed* / Day 3,500 cal/day
55% Carbs 481.0 g
20% Fat 78.0 g
25% Protein 219.0 g

However I dont have NEARLY that many carbs so on average i have been doing:
30% carbs
43% fat
27% protein

I am 6'1 and 180lbs and currently I am not taking any protein shake.

I would split the serving into 2 and eat it between meals, consuming it over time. I updated my previous post which reflects why.

Yeah, if you absolutely can't improve your meal planning (you should), then at least don't chuck it all down in one go. Accept that you're going to have a day where you're going to struggle to get your calories in and hit that early on.

25% Protein 219.0 g

I'm hesitant to suggest you change anything, because I've suddenly remembered your progress pics in the fitness thread, but there are many of us getting great results on 1g protein / lb and lower.

Some backing for that here: http://bayesianbodybuilding.com/the-myth-of-1glb-optimal-protein-intake-for-bodybuilders/ (I appreciate that there's a ton of argument out there on the subject)

The Chef

Yeah, if you absolutely can't improve your meal planning (you should), then at least don't chuck it all down in one go. Accept that you're going to have a day where you're going to struggle to get your calories in and hit that early on.

Yeah that makes sense.

Don't know how clean it will be but you can just tailor your portions based on how much weight you gain.
Clean usually refers to eating real food vs iifym.

Thanks dude that is very helpful.

Right now I am trying to gain weight.

f8EdFj3.jpg

Pic on the left is Feb and the pic on the right is a month later.

I REALLY want to get more size but get my abs to be more prominent...hence why this is proving to be a very difficult task.

Also worth remembering... things take time my good man. Your body has shown the capability to grow, and then some. Just keep hitting the areas you want to target regularly and you'll get results.

As you're bulking you'll probably lose your ab definition, but I'm sure they'll be there in spades when you cut back down.

Azulsky

Also at the moment the best reviewed literature confirms the carbs before bed creating more fat to be a myth of brohalla.

Metabolically healthy individuals have equal or higher Sleeping Metabolic Rates than they do Resting Metabolic Rates so long as you are getting a full nights sleep.

Currently this is what myfittnesspal is set at:

Net Calories Consumed* / Day 3,500 cal/day
55% Carbs 481.0 g
20% Fat 78.0 g
25% Protein 219.0 g

However I dont have NEARLY that many carbs so on average i have been doing:
30% carbs
43% fat
27% protein

I see. You may have to up your carbs in each meal to help meet your carb intake. When I bulk, I like to add about half a cup (well, it depends on macros) of rice. I don't think my protein recommendation is helpful since it looks like you do meet your protein.

Yeah that makes sense.

Thanks dude that is very helpful.

Right now I am trying to gain weight.

f8EdFj3.jpg

Pic on the left is Feb and the pic on the right is a month later.

I REALLY want to get more size but get my abs to be more prominent...hence why this is proving to be a very difficult task.
Unfortunately, it's one of those you give and you take situations. When bulking, your abs will be less prominent from the layer of fat. I think we all struggle w that :(
How often do you work your core?

EDIT:
But you making good gains in a month though! I think all you need is to stay consistent. Muscles grow at different rates and at different times.

The Chef

Also worth remembering... things take time my good man. Your body has shown the capability to grow, and then some. Just keep hitting the areas you want to target regularly and you'll get results.

As you're bulking you'll probably lose your ab definition, but I'm sure they'll be there in spades when you cut back down.

Ahhhhh man but I want to be hugely defined and chiseled abs right now. :(

Also at the moment the best reviewed literature confirms the carbs before bed creating more fat to be a myth of brohalla.

Metabolically healthy individuals have equal or higher Sleeping Metabolic Rates than they do Resting Metabolic Rates so long as you are getting a full nights sleep.

Woah, thats totally interesting. Good to know.

I see. You may have to up your carbs in each meal to help meet your carb intake. When I bulk, I like to add about half a cup (well, it depends on macros) of rice. I don't think my protein recommendation is helpful since it looks like you do meet your protein.

Unfortunately, it's one of those you give and you take situations. When bulking, your abs will be less prominent from the layer of fat. I think we all struggle w that :(
How often do you work your core?

EDIT:
But you making good gains in a month though! I think all you need is to stay consistent. Muscles grow at different rates and at different times.

Thanks dude! I'll look into adding some rice in. I also have been reading that sweet potatoes are like a God send.
Regarding core workouts, I try and do a quick ab routine after every workout 4x a week.

So let me ask you guys. This pic i googled is pretty much my goal as unrealistic as it may be:
Screen-shot-2011-09-05-at-11.43.53-AM.png

Should I focus on bulking for the next month or 2 (pounding the crazy protein shake) and then switch to cutting?
Also, thanks for the help guys. I feel like I live in the gym but for the first time I am focusing on my diet and its proving to be incredibly satisfying and rewarding so thanks for the help.

jts

...hate me...
Thanks a lot for the recipe, Sadetar!

Today it will be my 5th day of strict IF. Great results so far. And always looking forward to my 8PM meal.

The plat du jour will be some omelette with cheese and ham, maybe mushrooms. Maybe broccoli. A side of avocado. And some garlic-y buttery white rice. Yes.

Anyone try the Quinoa stuff? What does it taste like? And why shouldn't I just get brown rice for like 20c a serving instead?

Just asking because I saw it at local Sam's club.
This was last night's dinner
There's 1/2 cup Quinoa behind those steaks lol
I eat it as a rice substitute and 1-2 a week. Spiced with garlic powder, onion powder, and salt. Pinch of cayenne pepper
Edit
Here's a week of Dessert and Snack I had
Strawberry peach ice cream Garlic Onion Popcorn
Mango peach smoothie cayenne pepper popcorn
Peach banana Ice Cream kettle corn
Chocolate Ice Cream sriracha popcorn
Orange peach smoothie garlic parmesan popcorn
Blueberry nectarine pineapple smoothie cocoa popcorn
Blueberry banana smoothie cinnamon popcorn
Blueberry strawberry banana Onion Popcorn
*with 2 tbsp of butter on popcorns

oti

Banned
This was last night's dinner

There's 1/2 cup Quinoa behind those steaks lol
I eat it as a rice substitute and 1-2 a week. Spiced with garlic powder, onion powder, and salt. Pinch of cayenne pepper
Edit
Here's a week of Dessert and Snack I had

Strawberry peach ice cream Garlic Onion Popcorn
Mango peach smoothie cayenne pepper popcorn
Peach banana Ice Cream kettle corn
Chocolate Ice Cream sriracha popcorn
Orange peach smoothie garlic parmesan popcorn
Blueberry nectarine pineapple smoothie cocoa popcorn
Blueberry banana smoothie cinnamon popcorn
Blueberry strawberry banana Onion Popcorn
*with 2 tbsp of butter on popcorns

Those smoothies look great, how do you do them? I get so confused with smoothies at times. Sometimes they're supposed to be great, other times they're supposed to be a big lie by the food coorperations. I don't know. Maybe I'm still biased towards fruits and their sugar since I did 10 months of keto in 2014.

Yeah I was worried about this sugar thing when I read about it. But its fruit and natural sugar; also I like my smoothies so I stuck to it. I just made sure I don't go over board with my carbs

Usually two types of frozen fruits (1/2 cup each) then 2 tbsp of stevia. 1 cup of almond milk 1 scoop of whey cup of ice

grumble

Yeah I was worried about this sugar thing when I read about it. But its fruit and natural sugar; also I like my smoothies so I stuck to it. I just made sure I don't go over board with my carbs

Usually two types of frozen fruits (1/2 cup each) then 2 tbsp of stevia. 1 cup of almond milk 1 scoop of whey cup of ice

Doesn't really matter where the sugar came from, it's all the same thing. That being said in moderation these sound awesome! Will try.

Top Bottom