• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nutrition Thread |OT| You Can't Outwork A Shit Diet

RBK

Banned
Weight started falling off for me as soon as I dropped Tortilla Chips. I would eat everything in my relatively "healthy" diet (eggs, tuna salad, etc) with them, but they just have way too many calories.

For example, a bag of chips to compliment my Chipotle burrito bowl would have nearly an equal amount of calories as the bowl, therefore doubling my caloric intake for the meal.

Going have to do the same, it's like the go-to snack for everything.

Azulsky

Just know that there is no science behind it. You're much better off pouring in heavy cream, and it will taste a hell of a lot better, too. Unless you like the taste of butter in your coffee.

Yeah i dont know what the original inventor is peddling now but it used to be like

EDIT: yeah okay I looked seems like he went off the deep end. Just use his recipe with grocer alternatives. His coffee claims are hilarious. I will have to bug someone at work with that to see his reaction.

Coffee
Butter
Coconut Oil
Heavy Cream

Honestly it wasn't that bad, it just didnt mix as well as i would have liked. I didn't really have a blender thing so maybe thats why. I suspect if you put salted butter you might in for a gross surprise.

I mean butter is just like the evolved form of Heavy Cream so its all good.

Also if you are used to black coffee the added fat makes the caffeine hit harder

Just know that there is no science behind it. You're much better off pouring in heavy cream, and it will taste a hell of a lot better, too. Unless you like the taste of butter in your coffee.

I thought the idea was to use coconut oil or MCT oil?

Edit - Hmm, apparently both.

2 Cups Coffee
2 Tbsp. Grass Fed Unsalted Butter
2 Tbsp. Organic Coconut Oil (or MCT oil)
1 Tbsp. Heavy Cream (Optional)
1 tsp. Vanilla Extract (Optional)

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I thought the idea was to use coconut oil or MCT oil?

Oh, is that what it's changed to?

The whole thing started out as butter from grass-fed cows in coffee.

Coconut oil is legit, and can be tasty if mixed properly. Gotta be careful of what the source is when it comes to bottles labeled as "MCT oil," though.

edit: yeah, looks like the guy has updated his recipe... still no reason to put in that butter unless you like the taste.

How do people feel about popcorn? I buy the prepopped from the grocery store, but it's probably the last thing I eat that is heavy in carbs. I try to eat salt and vinegar almonds but sometimes I need popcorn. I've also tried replacing them with Quest protein chips, but those are expensive.

Oscar

Going have to do the same, it's like the go-to snack for everything.
Yeah man it sucks, I LOVE the ones that already come with some chile/limon seasoning. So good.

My favorite ones are 150 calories per serving of 9 chips. I would average like 30-36 chips per meal because they're so thin and easy to go down, I'd end up with 600 calories of just chips for that meal.

Anth0ny

Weight started falling off for me as soon as I dropped Tortilla Chips. I would eat everything in my relatively "healthy" diet (eggs, tuna salad, etc) with them, but they just have way too many calories.

For example, a bag of chips to compliment my Chipotle burrito bowl would have nearly an equal amount of calories as the bowl, therefore doubling my caloric intake for the meal.

I hear ya. I haven't even started doing any super specific diet with a bunch of new foods I haven't tried before, but at the beginning of February I completely cut out:

-potato chips
-fried food
-cookies
-bread

I basically don't eat junk food anymore (The closest I get now to junk is a granola bar or two) and I've lost 13 pounds since the beginning of February. I'm also gaining muscles at the same time.

Then again, my school has been on strike since the beginning of March, allowing me 2-3 hours at the gym 6 days a week. It's been fantastic, though I'm not sure I'd have the time to do it under a regular schedule. Either way, I think I'm making the best of my time off!

Heading to the gym now :)

Ahh, more for people bulking I guess. I'd rather eat a hearty breakfast than drink my calories, but that's me.

It is actually more for weight loss because it's supposed to suppress appetite for long hours. The one downside is that it's pretty much empty calories and you're missing on important micro nutrients compared to a whole food.

Mascot

[*]Sadly I don't do fish, so that's out.

Taste, religion, morality, don't eat anything with a face..? Just curious, as I fucking looooove fish. I probably eat fresh salmon four times a week for dinner, and mackerel three times a week for lunch.

Couldn't live without those delicious scaly slimeballs with the boggle eyes.

wow chia seeds are really awesome! My nose is usually blocked for whatever reason, I have narrowed it down to certain foods/bad diet. But I have been consuming chia seeds for two days and the my nose has never been clearer! Finally I can think well and accomplish stuff! Otherwise I am zombie due the blocked nose and sleep apnea problem

Taste, religion, morality, don't eat anything with a face..? Just curious, as I fucking looooove fish. I probably eat fresh salmon four times a week for dinner, and mackerel three times a week for lunch.

That sounds delicious, but where do you live that you can get all that fresh? And... not crazy expensive lol.

So I'm a coffee drinker. But I'm also on a diet.

I want to try this:
http://iweb.cooking.com/images/products/enlarge/601576e.jpg

But I'm worried that they turned something normally with a negligible amount of calories that i can drink guilt free into something horrifying.

For the record, I would be drinking this black.

Easy enough, look at the calories before trying/buying it.

I stick with colombian coffee, but a hazelnut flavored brew would be nice to have.

So I'm a coffee drinker. But I'm also on a diet.

I want to try this:
http://iweb.cooking.com/images/products/enlarge/601576e.jpg

But I'm worried that they turned something normally with a negligible amount of calories that i can drink guilt free into something horrifying.

For the record, I would be drinking this black.
this is ground beans right

aren't they artificially flavored anyway. Just like those hazelnut imitation extract which are 0 calories

It is actually more for weight loss because it's supposed to suppress appetite for long hours. The one downside is that it's pretty much empty calories and you're missing on important micro nutrients compared to a whole food.

coffee alone for me suppress me appetite and I'm on the same boat of I rather have filling food for calories

Never understood drinking your calories (unless if you're bulking, go crazy then.)

Weighed myself this morning, at 166.4.

20 more pounds and then I'll try out lean gains. Anyone have experience with it?

I actually tried looking at the nutrition info On the package but the package didn't have a nutrition facts label

Could always try getting a syrup instead

k2-_6c8c4948-2920-48dd-b08e-4c6f33e83635.v1.jpg

I've read it always taste better than getting an already flavored coffee since they usually use less quality beans in it.

rtcn63

I <3 caffeine, although I prefer mine with cream and sugar. (Limit myself to 1-2 servings a day though) I take ephedrine/caffeine stacks during cuts, fuckin' hell I wouldn't have survived otherwise.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/re...etes-and-weight-control-research-review.html/

So what&#8217;s the take home in this? Caffeine/coffee intake appears to have different effects when looked at in the short and long term; looking only at acute dosing studies (esp with extremely high doses of caffeine) aren&#8217;t that relevant to how people actually consume caffeine (over the long term).

In the short-term, caffeine can impact positively on a number of factors (such as delaying fatigue during exercise, increasing lipolysis, and increasing fat oxidation and caloric expenditure) but negatively on others (decreased glucose tolerance/increased insulin response, slight increase in blood pressure).

However, longer term studies suggest that habitual caffeine/coffee intake is, overall, beneficial: it decreases the risk of diabetes and may contribute to preventing weight gain. Tangentially, of course, any benefit of coffee/caffeine itself is going to be more than outweighed if you fill it up with sugar, cream and other high calorie goodies.

My take on the topic: used in reasonable amounts, caffeine pretty much does nothing but help fat loss. The impact on insulin sensitivity is overstated (in my opinion) only applying to acute studies with massive doses. The known impact of caffeine on lipolysis and improving exercise performance is so well-established as to be beyond debate.

So use caffeine, just don&#8217;t go nuts with it.

I've been doing IF for 3 yrs now and just having coffee during the day. Black and stevia. those flavored coffee (hazelnut, french vanilla) to mix things up for me.

recently I go decaf, less grounds on non-workout days. Cutting my reliant on caffeine so on work out days I go regular coffee and good amount of grounds.

with this recent sugar free coffee syrup. I might try putting vanilla extract/hazelnut extract in my coffee

I said why a couple of posts after I think. I just hate how most of it tastes. I wasn't brought up on it, and I've spent 10 years trying to get a taste for it, to no avail. At this point in my life I'm just going to give up on it.

20 more pounds and then I'll try out lean gains. Anyone have experience with it?

I'm slow bulking on it. Results are good, but I'm struggling to get my calories right. Key seems to be making sure you do the carb cycling / timing properly.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Caffeine is a pretty good appetite suppressant. It being a mild stimulant and all.

Another benefit you get from coffee (and not typically other sources of caffeine) is the appetite suppressing effects of the chemicals called cholinomimetics that are found in roasted coffee beans. This means you can even get some benefit from decaf coffee for those of you who don't react well to caffeine.

Never understood drinking your calories (unless if you're bulking, go crazy then.)

Weighed myself this morning, at 166.4.

I remember some people (person?) doing it in one of the old Fitness threads and it definitely seems like it produces results.

Maybe do a Google search along the line of:

site:neogaf.com "Fitness" "leangains" (or "lean gains")

ILoveBish

I like having large meals, which is why I love IF so much. Starting to drink other kinds of teas as an experiment, so far I live green the best.

Yeah, bollocks to that. I struggle to get enough protein / calories on 18/6, let alone anything shorter. I'd consider it for cutting, but not for bulking.

rtcn63

Yeah, bollocks to that. I struggle to get enough protein / calories on 18/6, let alone anything shorter. I'd consider it for cutting, but not for bulking.

Yeah, it's easier for cuts/maintenance. I eat 3-4 meals during bulk, and even then, I often struggle to get enough protein and calories. Had to start drinking milk again, just bought some lactase pills to try.

I'm also doing 1800 right now, just for reference what does your meal look like?

working out days:
its chicken and quinoa
I might add some egg or turkey bacon
Dessert: Smoothie and popcorn and maybe Questbar

next working out days
chicken and 8 cups of broccoli then depending on seasoning
Dessert: Smoothie and popcorn

non working out days
seafood and lettuce wraps with some other veggies as condiments
Dessert: Just popcorn

*Once a month and if it's on sale: Steak
depending on the meat: I get a lot of protein especially in seafood

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Steak just once a month? Man, I couldn't go on...

Top Bottom