• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nutrition Thread |OT| You Can't Outwork A Shit Diet

Really doesn't. Stop eating processed shit.

I did lactose free for months as I was trying to find the source of an intestinal issue I was having.

jts

...hate me...
My ulcer is fighting back so I'll have to put the intermitting fasting on a pause, as well as upping my carbs intake, albeit whole grain, because they provide immediate relief to the pain strikes :mad:

Too much garlic recently I reckon. Omeprazol for the rescue.

RBK

Banned
Going to commit myself to either fasting or a much better diet. Gained way too much weight over the last year and while I live a really really really sedentary life, no excuse of not being able to exhibit self-control with food.

And as much as I hate cardio, I will start some type of routine starting today.

oti

Banned
Going to commit myself to either fasting or a much better diet. Gained way too much weight over the last year and while I live a really really really sedentary life, no excuse of not being able to exhibit self-control with food.

And as much as I hate cardio, I will start some type of routine starting today.

Try C25K if you want to try out running. It's a lot of fun.

Enco

My diet has been so poor recently.

I'm cutting and I'll be doing so for a few more months.

Don't know why it's so hard but I can't resist snacks and junk. Feelsbadmane.

Tanerian

Banned
Well I mostly did it since I ate so terrible yesterday, felt like I needed a "cleanse".

Eating all my calories in an hour and a half did seem extreme though lol.

I'll be sticking to 18/6 or 20/4 at most.

There are people who strictly eat this way all the time, cutting or bulking.

It's known as Intermittent Fasting.

I did it for a month and lost weight at the same rate as I did when I was eating 3-4 meals a day. But I just don't enjoy it very much, and it makes my cravings harder as I get used to consuming large portions at a time, and then crave large portions whenever I eat. But you can certainly be successful if you like doing it that way.

Currently lost 60 pounds in 1 year 3 months, taking it as slowly as possible (aiming for 1 pound a week). All I do is track my Calories and Macros. I do not really pay attention to the types of food I eat other than keeping my sugar intake at or below recommended levels.

I eat fairly healthy, but not for the sake of actually eating healthy foods, it's just that healthy foods tend to have fewer calories so you can eat more of them. 300 calories of broccoli is a lot more filling than 300 calories of pizza.

I hardly ever eat fast food, I've quit Soda all together. But again it's because those things consume too many of my calories compared to the actual sustenance they provide.

I also have cheat days to help relieve my brain of some of the stress of constantly dieting/tracking. Basically just a day where I don't worry about or track my intake, I just eat when I'm hungry. I do still avoid ridiculously calorie laden foods on these days, soda etc. I will also dangle cheat days in front of myself as a reward for sticking with my diet perfectly over whatever set amount of time I decide (Generally a month or so).

Every 6 months I have what I like to call an "Unleash the Beast" day. This is where I let my inner fat kid get everything he desires. I will go to a buffet (more than once if I want), do things like eat an entire pint of ben n jerry's etc. I just go absolutely ham on as much food as I can consume for the entirety of the day.

For fun I tracked my last Unleash the beast day and came in at just over 9000 Calories for the day (Vegeta What does MyFitnessPal Say about his Calorie Intake?)

Would not recommend it, but god was it good.

Tanerian

Banned
My diet has been so poor recently.

I'm cutting and I'll be doing so for a few more months.

Don't know why it's so hard but I can't resist snacks and junk. Feelsbadmane.

Fill yourself up on something better, and follow it was a ton of water.
I just ate 200 calories of carrots and broccoli and downed it with several cups of water (well past the point of wanting to drink anymore water) because I felt like I was about to binge out of the fridge. Now the thought of eating is gross because I'm so darn full.

I tend to do them to coincide with my bigger cycling efforts. Anything over 4 hours automatically gets me whatever food I want. :D

Help me out nutrition threaders.... I need (healthy) fat sources.

I've realised that I really struggle on low carb days because whilst I can do high protein, I can't do high protein and medium fat (well, without eating all sorts of fatty cuts of meat anyway). I'm a bit sick of munching on nuts and seeds, so what else is available to me?

I don't understand how one is supposed to get the 30 g daily recommended amount of fiber when food has at most 4 grams per serving. You would have to be eating 8 fruits or more, or a lot of oatmeal, broccoli and beans.

Have you tried avocados, raw coconut, wild (fatty) fish, pastured eggs or healthy oils?
  • I don't like avocados, though I've had them in smoothies to reasonable effect.
  • I do like raw coconut, but it's not the sort of thing I can easily add into my diet.
  • Sadly I don't do fish, so that's out.
  • I wasn't aware that eggs had much fat in them, but I'm happy to eat more of those, cheers.
  • Don't really do much in the way of healthy oils as I've spent years avoiding any sort of oil... and there still seems to be a shitload of debate on what exactly a healthy oil is. I tend to use coconut oil when cooking, and sometimes a bit of olive oil, but that's about it.

Good suggestions though, thanks.

Dre

Hah by healthy oils I did actually mean coconut oil. EVOO is great as well obviously, especially if you sauté all your vegetables instead of eating them raw.

Other obvious choices are bacon, organ meats and full-fat dairy. Those are a bit tricky though since they are quite high in sodium (bacon), potentially high in toxins (offal) and unsuitable if you're lactose intolerant (dairy).

Without avocados and fish it's definitely a bit more tricky.

I've done it (after, obviously). Just don't try to do what you normally do. You'll regret it.

I failed to mention I was doing a fasted workout today as well, glad I kept with the moderate paced cardio.

There are people who strictly eat this way all the time, cutting or bulking.

It's known as Intermittent Fasting.

I did it for a month and lost weight at the same rate as I did when I was eating 3-4 meals a day. But I just don't enjoy it very much, and it makes my cravings harder as I get used to consuming large portions at a time, and then crave large portions whenever I eat. But you can certainly be successful if you like doing it that way.

Currently lost 60 pounds in 1 year 3 months, taking it as slowly as possible (aiming for 1 pound a week). All I do is track my Calories and Macros. I do not really pay attention to the types of food I eat other than keeping my sugar intake at or below recommended levels.

I eat fairly healthy, but not for the sake of actually eating healthy foods, it's just that healthy foods tend to have fewer calories so you can eat more of them. 300 calories of broccoli is a lot more filling than 300 calories of pizza.

I hardly ever eat fast food, I've quit Soda all together. But again it's because those things consume too many of my calories compared to the actual sustenance they provide.

I also have cheat days to help relieve my brain of some of the stress of constantly dieting/tracking. Basically just a day where I don't worry about or track my intake, I just eat when I'm hungry. I do still avoid ridiculously calorie laden foods on these days, soda etc. I will also dangle cheat days in front of myself as a reward for sticking with my diet perfectly over whatever set amount of time I decide (Generally a month or so).

Every 6 months I have what I like to call an "Unleash the Beast" day. This is where I let my inner fat kid get everything he desires. I will go to a buffet (more than once if I want), do things like eat an entire pint of ben n jerry's etc. I just go absolutely ham on as much food as I can consume for the entirety of the day.

For fun I tracked my last Unleash the beast day and came in at just over 9000 Calories for the day (Vegeta What does MyFitnessPal Say about his Calorie Intake?)

Would not recommend it, but god was it good.

Oh I do know already about IF (I had been inadvertently been doing it last year but been doing it properly for a month now.) Lost 8 pounds so far.

Good on ya with the weight loss man, keeping it slow and steady also lessens the chance for loose skin (suffering from that around my stomach area.) I don't wanna do a proper cheat day for another 2 months, but if I'm desperately craving something (usually peanut butter sandwiches and pizza) I'll just work it my diet for that day.

oti

Banned

I've realised that I really struggle on low carb days because whilst I can do high protein, I can't do high protein and medium fat (well, without eating all sorts of fatty cuts of meat anyway). I'm a bit sick of munching on nuts and seeds, so what else is available to me?

Olive oil.

oti

Banned
I really wish I liked fish but I just wasn't brought up on it and after 10 years trying I've sort of given up trying to develop a taste for it.

You make it sound like the plan is to drink it. I'm not that desperate for fats. :p

Nah, just for salads and stuff. Maybe in smoothies too?
Although my Greek grandma always told me to drink one tablespoon of Greek (of course!) olive oil a day. Yuck.

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
Sub'd to this thread, I have been lurking here for about a week. I really enjoy talking nutrition and sharing recipes with other like-minded people :)

On the avocado suggestion, I just tried this smoothie recipe:

1 cup orange juice
1/2 avocado
3/4 cup frozen blueberries
1/2 cup frozen raspberries
1 kiwi, peeled
1 banana
1/2 cup ice

Not a low carb day recipe, but damn, I enjoyed it. Would probably half the orange juice and skip the ice next time though. Maybe more avocado too to get those fats.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

Why not eat all sorts of fatty cuts of meat?

Also, if you're doing low-carb, don't do medium fat. Do high-fat.

Sounds like you're going to try eggs, which is a great idea. Do a big ol' scramble fried in lots of butter and mix in some cheese. Easy way to get some good fat.

High-fat content ground beef and pork is another pretty cheap way to get some.

Dre

On the avocado suggestion, I just tried this smoothie recipe:

1 cup orange juice
1/2 avocado
3/4 cup frozen blueberries
1/2 cup frozen raspberries
1 kiwi, peeled
1 banana
1/2 cup ice

Not a low carb day recipe, but damn, I enjoyed it. Would probably half the orange juice and skip the ice next time though. Maybe more avocado too to get those fats.

I wouldn't peel the kiwis, the skin actually has a lot of nutrients. AFAIK it's not even necessary to buy organic if you wash them under running water beforehand since conventional kiwis don't get sprayed with pesticides that much (or at all?). Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong though.

JC Sera

Curious, is there anyone in this thread with EoE? Looking for a non-aggravating diet.
Not looking to lose weight, just to have a reliable and healthy diet

Sadetar

Nuts, almonds and what not should have quite much healthy fats in them.

I also do a salad dressing myself that is full of them. I can really recommend it - makes the bland salad tasty and is actually easy way to add good fattys. I eat it daily. :p

I mix together cold pressed organic hemp oil, high quality olive oil and lemon juice/good vinegar in relation 1/3 of each. I use small brown glass bottle where I just pour the ingredients and shake them together. Easy to use the same thing for couple days, clean the bottle and fill it again.

Why not eat all sorts of fatty cuts of meat?

Also, if you're doing low-carb, don't do medium fat. Do high-fat.
I'm not doing "low carb", I just have low carb days for carb cycling.

The reason I don't want to do fatty cuts of meat is that I keep meat for main meals, which I have at the same time as my wife. She eats what I eat for those meals, and she really struggles with her weight so I try to keep the calories reasonable.

Things like smoothies / smaller meals I eat on my own, so no worries about going mad there.

I wouldn't peel the kiwis, the skin actually has a lot of nutrients. AFAIK it's not even necessary to buy organic if you wash them under running water beforehand since conventional kiwis don't get sprayed with pesticides that much (or at all?). Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong though.

That was just the recipe as I got it. I didn't actually use organic kiwis (for what it's worth, I grow food organically, and in my opinion, many of the organic treatments are actually far nastier than the chemical sort. Just because it exists in nature doesn't make it healthy.).

I'm not sure about not peeling them though. At least not without giving it two goes through on the blender.

I mix together cold pressed organic hemp oil, high quality olive oil and lemon juice/good vinegar in relation 1/3 of each. I use small brown glass bottle where I just pour the ingredients and shake them together. Easy to use the same thing for couple days, clean the bottle and fill it again.

Cheers. Trying new salad dressings is always fun.

Unrelated, making cold brew coffee for the first time today. Should be interesting.

Azulsky

Avocado (Personally I dont eat this but its supposed to be good for you)

Butter/Ghee

Heavy Cream or Half & Half

Coconut Oil

Olive Oil

Here is a table of some oil options.

Have you looked into Bullet Proof Coffee? Just take whatever coffee you usually drink and jack it up a notch.

Oscar

Weight started falling off for me as soon as I dropped Tortilla Chips. I would eat everything in my relatively "healthy" diet (eggs, tuna salad, etc) with them, but they just have way too many calories.

For example, a bag of chips to compliment my Chipotle burrito bowl would have nearly an equal amount of calories as the bowl, therefore doubling my caloric intake for the meal.

Lemaitre

Banned
Most normal breakfast days I eat a serving of oatmeal and cook myself four servings of egg whites. I used to eat them separately but now I just mix the whites in the oatmeal bowl and eat them together. Surprisingly work well together and quite tasty.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Funnily enough, I've always wanted to try bulletproof coffee but have never got around to it.

Just know that there is no science behind it. You're much better off pouring in heavy cream, and it will taste a hell of a lot better, too. Unless you like the taste of butter in your coffee.

ILoveBish

Just know that there is no science behind it. You're much better off pouring in heavy cream, and it will taste a hell of a lot better, too. Unless you like the taste of butter in your coffee.

My go-to every day is 3 cups coffee, 3 TBSP heavy cream, 1 TBSP coconut oil, liquid stevia to taste, mix it all up. Goes amazing with my cake everyday.

Top Bottom