• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia: Gamers should not limit their options to PS4/XB1; PC is the way to go

Raxious

It's funny to see how Nvidia is saying this, yet it's the actual developers who are unable to deliver a proper PC version. I mean, look at what Ubisoft delivered with AC IV, and especially with the remark 'Just get a better GPU.'.

Elvick

Banned
So we should limit our options to PC?

No thanks. PC is fine, but I'm not about to deal with the hurdles of install a bajilion drivers and other crap just to play a game. I'd rather just pop it in and play it. Plus, I prefer controllers. nb4 you can use them on PC, no shit.

They just sound desperate. No one likes desperation.

antonz

PC gaming has always been my preference for at least 15 years now. Nintendo console for that stuff and the rest on PC. Miss out on some stuff that way but I manage.

The real challenge is resisting temptation. like the R9 290X for only 499 :eek:

PC gaming is utterly fantastic when you have beefy specs, a streamlined OS, latest drivers, no hardware issues, no bloated software making your computer slower, etc.

This is why we desperately need the Steam Box with Steam OS and a proper control setup for the living room.

Cday

Banned
It's funny to see how Nvidia is saying this, yet it's the actual developers who are unable to deliver a proper PC version. I mean, look at what Ubisoft delivered with AC IV, and especially with the remark 'Just get a better GPU.'.

On the flipside console versions of Far Cry 3 were awful in comparison to the PC port.

BigDug13

This is why we desperately need the Steam Box with Steam OS and a proper control setup for the living room.

That's tough though. Part of why PC gaming is so appealing is because you were already going to be in the market for a PC anyway for normal everyday stuff, so why not pay a bit more for PC hardware capable of playing games.

Unless we can do a dual boot of normal PC's and have a STEAM OS as a second boot option? Some people still need Windows stuff for their everyday lives.

Marinlik

Neo Member
I really like my pc for first person shooters, it's amazing to play strategy games on. But sometimes I want to play on a console. I want to be able to sit in my couch and swich freely between games without having to have mouse and keyboard at hand. For me console is superioer with sport games, racing games and third person games. Even if you can connect a gamepad to a pc. I just want to sit down in my couch and press start and everything works.

Faith

A GTX780Ti OC is 3-3.5x faster than a PS4. Even a GTX770 OC is 2x faster than a PS4.

The PC will always be the best platform to play games.

BigDug13

I really like my pc for first person shooters, it's amazing to play strategy games on. But sometimes I want to play on a console. I want to be able to sit in my couch and swich freely between games without having to have mouse and keyboard at hand. For me console is superioer with sport games, racing games and third person games. Even if you can connect a gamepad to a pc. I just want to sit down in my couch and press start and everything works.

It's nearly at that point. STEAM big-screen mode, a wireless 360 controller dongle, and you can be like 20 feet away from the screen and select games to play with your wireless 360 controller.

I don't keyboard/mouse my PC games because of how I want to play that same way. I just avoid competitive FPS's on PC.

dsk1210

Some of the comments on here are ridiculous, grow up and accept that we are not at war against each other for the sake of a company, pc and consoles will exist together like they have done previously.

Don't be a fanboy.

Marinlik

Neo Member
It's nearly at that point. STEAM big-screen mode, a wireless 360 controller dongle, and you can be like 20 feet away from the screen and select games to play with your wireless 360 controller.

I don't keyboard/mouse my PC games because of how I want to play that same way. I just avoid competitive FPS's on PC.

Comparing to how it works on console the pc is still some way behind. You have to have a keyboard at hand, because some games don't take controller inputs in the menu. And sometimes big picture mode bugs and you can't get the overlay to work. Big picture mode is a start. But it's far behind an actual console. But I hope that they will improve it a lot when Steam os comes. If you just want to sit in a couch and relax with a game, consoles beat pc. If you want to play an fps game or strategy or an elder scrolls game, PC beats consoles.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
PC is the way to go....and yet each has exclusives...and consoles has lots of exclusives.

So..... if you choose only one....you are gonna miss out on something.

Like many have said, why not choose both, all? And does the comfy game playing has to be mentioned again? Look what you have to do to have comfy game playing with a PC vs a console.

Connecting to an HDTV, sitting on couch......steps involved...and GO!!!! Better yet...connecting to a standard TV, sitting on couch....and GO!!!! Cuz as hard as it is to believe....some ppl do still have the old CRT TV's.

Unless we can do a dual boot of normal PC's and have a STEAM OS as a second boot option? Some people still need Windows stuff for their everyday lives.

Of course you can do that. That's the great thing about the flexibility of a PC, you can do whatever you want with it. Did you buy a Steam Machine with the intention of using it purely as a console? You're already set. Do you need some desktop functionality? Dual boot a Linux distro. Need Windows? Dual boot Windows. Already have a PC but want a Steam Machine? Dual boot SteamOS. Do you have an older crappy PC? Install SteamOS and stream games from your main PC.

This amount of freedom is about to be brought over to the console space through the Steam Machines, which begs the question: what is the benefit of a traditional game console anymore?

PC/3DS'er reporting for duty.

I'd rather just pop it in and play it.

CwJMFX6.png

amdnv

No thanks. PC is fine, but I'm not about to deal with the hurdles of install a bajilion drivers and other crap just to play a game. I'd rather just pop it in and play it.
I just received a new PC here. Plugged it in, installed Steam, downloaded a game, started playing. Surprisingly, I didn't have to install a single driver. This isn't Windows 95 anymore.

Nvidia had the chance to bid for the console order. It had previously manufactured parts for consoles. But this time they decided that it wasn't worth it. Revenue from a console deal is likely not that high.

SteamOS is apparently designed to be just as streamlined and easy to use as a console ui. What would be the difference in ease of use in your opinion?

If steamOS is all it's cracked up to be I actually agree for the most part with your assertion. I'm reluctant on it until I see the receipts etc.

Although I must admit steamOS is among the most exciting things personally I've seen PC-wise in a long time

Hopefully it gets good game support

I know, I know, I still don't understand what that convenience store milk was all about. Sorry, SwiftDeath, that was just confusing.

Yeah I can understand that. It was less an argument/debate about PC/consoles etc. and more a debate about semantics

Finaika

Nvidia had the chance to bid for the console order. It had previously manufactured parts for consoles. But this time they decided that it wasn't worth it. Revenue from a console deal is likely not that high.

Investing in Shield is more worth it.

one of them

Neo Member
So we should limit our options to PC?

No thanks. PC is fine, but I'm not about to deal with the hurdles of install a bajilion drivers and other crap just to play a game. I'd rather just pop it in and play it. Plus, I prefer controllers. nb4 you can use them on PC, no shit.

All the negatives you mentioned have been proved wrong millions of times. Windows 7 and 8 comes with most of the drivers you need, updating to new drivers is mainly just for boosting performance in minor ways (most of the time). I think the only driver I keep up to date is my GPU and I only update that like every few months.

Also why did you say you prefer controllers and then go on to correct yourself? And since when is "popping it" in and playing it more convenient than clicking the Launch button? Games saved to the hard drive are more stable anyway.

You just silly.

Hopefully it (Steam OS) gets good game support

Oh I'm sure it will. Valve isn't the only company pushing towards Linux. AMD has this Mantle thing starting up, tons of hardware designers are jumping on board the push for console-like PC options, and games are getting Linux versions all the time.

Within the next year or so I'll bet a lot of people start dual-booting Linux and Windows for their games, and slowly we'll progress to dropping Windows entirely for gaming. If Linux had as much support for gaming as Windows currently does then I would switch in an instant.

Roshin

I don't see what the problem is. I'm mainly a PC gamer, but picked up a PS4 for console exclusives. There are a lot of PC games that I prefer to play with a controller on the TV, because I have a very nice big ass TV. :D

Yes, PC's require more from the user, because they are complex machines, but the "I have to install a squillion drivers just to play a game" argument is bollocks. PC's are more expensive, but the games are much cheaper, if you buy during the sales, and the PC has a back catalogue of games that is quite amazing.

Finaika

It's easy to make fun of development decisions in hindsight. Deciding against a console deal was likely based on previous experiences with console deals.

I thought it was Sony who went with AMD because of Nvidia's PS3 GPU debacle.

Jtrizzy

hows reading text on the tv from that range?

I have it on the standard setting windows uses. If I want I can make it bigger in the resolution menu, there are 3 settings for text size. The only time it's an issue is if I am downsampling a game like DIablo or Marvel Heroes. It is a strain to read the loot then. I just force AA from inspector for those games.

Also, Chrome has this convenient little zoom feature if I wanted to blow up a page some. Otherwise it's fine for any kind of use. I am sitting pretty close, 6 or so feet from a 50" screen.

I'll be building my first gaming PC soon, but that's not going to stop me from buying a PS4 when Destiny comes out. Besides, I still have my PS3, Wii U, and 3DS. I don't understand the people who pretty much swear loyalty to PC or a single console. They're really missing out.

amdnv

I thought it was Sony who went with AMD because of Nvidia's PS3 GPU debacle.
Do you have a source? And what's Microsoft's reason?

People who really consider Nvidia "salty" may want to take a look at the two companies' profitability and stock values.

That's tough though. Part of why PC gaming is so appealing is because you were already going to be in the market for a PC anyway for normal everyday stuff, so why not pay a bit more for PC hardware capable of playing games.

I just don't look at it that way personally. I see the steam box as a separate system all together. 720p/1080p is too low a resolution for most other stuff I do on a PC outside of gaming. That's why my HTPC is connected to 3 different displays. 1 TV, 2 High Res Monitors.

I just want a console that can play pc games. My HTPC doesn't exactly fit that bill yet, even with Big Picture unless I force my PC to boot directly into Big Picture. Even then it still wouldn't be perfect.

spirity

I've got a Mele F10 Pro to control my Lenovo mini htpc, but it doesn't have a backlight. I've had my eye on that N5902 but at around £45 its a bit pricey atm. Gonna stick it out until it goes on sale hopefully. Bit of a weird looking design but its supposed to be a great remote.

If steamOS is all it's cracked up to be I actually agree for the most part with your assertion. I'm reluctant on it until I see the receipts etc.

You are right to be reluctant, there are still a lot of unknowns. But the potential is there and if it is realized (admittedly a big "if") then the time will come when we will have to ask the question, are Microsoft and Sony bringing anything of value to the table anymore? In previous console generations both companies subsidized the cost of the hardware and tried to make money through software and services. For the consumer that meant that he could get a really good deal, powerful hardware at bargain prices. Meanwhile, PC gaming required a lot of fiddling with patches and stuff, especially during the days of setsound.exe and IRQ conflicts. That was back then.

Today, both Microsoft and Sony have given up on heavily subsidizing the hardware and they're using standard PC tech. Essentially, they're selling company-branded AMD-powered gaming PCs, only with locked down OSes, mandatory subscriptions for the full experience and a $10 tax on every retail game. If we can get the same hardware at a similar price and with no restrictions, do we need Sony and Microsoft anymore? Are they providing good value, or are they simply relying on marketing, force of habit and some exclusive games in order to stay relevant in a rapidly-changing technological landscape?

Jtrizzy

I wish ALL games regardless of console or pc gives you full control of the hud along with scaling and placement. Ubisoft games are the worst. AC IV is killing me right now.

I wish ALL games regardless of console or pc gives you full control of the hud along with scaling and placement. Ubisoft games are the worst. AC IV is killing me right now.

You're right. My vision isn't the greatest, and I've had a lot of problems with the font being too small on a lot of console games too.

I wish all games let me changes the FoV and Frame Limits.

I get dizzy playing at 120 fps.

Jtrizzy

Agree on the fov thing. The new Killzone could come out a bit for me. While we're at it, how about graphical options for the single player portion of console games? I'd turn some settings down in that game to get 60 as well.

Top Bottom