• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia: Gamers should not limit their options to PS4/XB1; PC is the way to go

coldfoot

Banned
I game off my desk all the time... I have my PC dual screening a monitor an a tv. Is it an inconvenience? No. Not really. No more than PS4 users having to get up and physically turn on their consoles lol. It is funny how you seem to think KBM means you cannot play from a couch... I do all the time with my controller.
You obviously don't know jack, PS4 or PS3 owners (neither the Xbox 360 or One owners) have to even get up to turn on their consoles. You can do that from the controller itself.
You need to have your desk close to your TV in your setup. Most people have them in different rooms and you bet it's a huge inconvenience to wire them.
I see you're spouting your typical uninformed crap again. Ever heard of a lapboard? If you want to use a mouse and keyboard on the couch you can without much effort at all. And if you just want it for when you NEED to use it for navigation purposes or some other reason, you can just use one of these:
It's as if you've never seen someone with a htpc, you think they have full keyboard and mouse in the living room to watch movies? you can have "remotes" like these

http://www.engadget.com/2010/03/05/rii-mini-wireless-keyboard-is-perfect-for-your-htpc-not-your-wi/

so many options, don't be ignorant
None of those options come EVEN CLOSE to the convenience of a controller. I have that Rii keyboard, fact I have two, the version you linked, and the one without a tiny ass pad, but a gyro itself.

I am not ignorant, I have a HTPC in my setup, and based on my experience, none of the M/KB solutions are even half as decent as using a controller or using M/KB on a desk. They're so inconvenient that I end up having to use remote desktop to start playing a movie on my HTPC. It's overall a horrible, horrendous experience. KB/M will NEVER be compatible with the living room.

PC is perfectly fine, and most likely better to use on a desk, no question. But it has no place in the living room.

Leb

As a close student of Marxist theory, I find PC gaming to be perfectly detestable. Everyone should have exactly the same experience as everyone else, and PC "capitalist schweinhunde" gamers shouldn't be permitted to brazenly flaunt their means and privilege, all the while enjoying games with greatly enhanced IQ and framerate.

Fortunately, we have exclusives that those unrepentant capitalists will never have. Sure, as the generation progresses, our modest hardware will be lucky to hit 900p at 30fps, but better to ensure an inferior experience for everyone than permit the Rockefellers and Vanderbilts of the world to enjoy a superior experience!

As a close student of Marxist theory, I find PC gaming to be perfectly detestable. Everyone should have exactly the same experience as everyone else, and PC "capitalist schweinhunde" gamers shouldn't be permitted to brazenly flaunt their means and privilege, all the while enjoying games with greatly enhanced IQ and framerate.

Fortunately, we have exclusives that those unrepentant capitalists will never have. Sure, as the generation progresses, our modest hardware will be lucky to hit 900p at 30fps, but better to ensure an inferior experience for everyone than permit the Rockefellers and Vanderbilts of the world to enjoy a superior experience!
One of the worst posts I've read today lol

inm8num2

Not that I disagree as the capabilities of a well-equipped PC, combined with the ability to upgrade, are superior to any console, but if it were nvidia's GPUs in the PS4 and XB1 they'd be saying the opposite.

Meh.

Well, This thread went as expected.

Nvidia should be focusing their efforts on wooing Japanese devs to port their games to PC, if they think they're the wardens of PC gaming.

You obviously don't know jack, PS4 or PS3 owners (neither the Xbox 360 or One owners) have to even get up to turn on their consoles. You can do that from the controller itself.
You need to have your desk close to your TV in your setup. Most people have them in different rooms and you bet it's a huge inconvenience to wire them.

Excuse you, I have very intimate knowledge of what all the platforms are capable of. But fair enough, I momentarily forgot you can turn the system on from the controller, but I guess that magically appears in your hand whenever you want to play.

There is no requirement that you need a desk to run a PC or even a monitor as you are in fact inferring is necessity when you said "You need to have your desk close to your TV in your setup. Most people have them in different rooms and you bet it's a huge inconvenience to wire them." You don't need your desk close to your TV. You don't need a desk at all. Or a monitor. You can run your PC straight off the TV with no modifications. I just happen to dual screen because I like it. It is in no shape a requirement for gaming on a tv from your couch.

If that is all you have to say about convenience, I've shown you that you are incorrect. You can control the PC easily from your couch using a variety of devices, several of which you probably own. Even if you don't own a phone or tablet, all you need is a keyboard and mouse that you use to set up big picture mode or launch a game from which you start using your controller. Gaming with a KBM might be a pain from the couch, but using a KBM from the couch to set the game up is not.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Not that I disagree as the capabilities of a well-equipped PC, combined with the ability to upgrade, are superior to any console, but if it were nvidia's GPUs in the PS4 and XB1 they'd be saying the opposite.
They would probably say the same thing actually. They profit far more from people buying GPUs than they ever would from having a tiny stake in a console sale.

In tech support circles, the term "sexy fingers" refers to someone for whom technology perpetually falters; basically, they fuck everything they touch.

Apropos nothing.

PC gaming puts a smile on my face. It's so simple to me. It's an ultimate freedom in gaming for me. I can play on my monitor or I can play on my big screen. I can play games dating 20+ years back or play the latest titles. I can play with the steering wheel set I bought many years ago if I want. Or my flight sticks. I can stream whatever the hell I want in the background while playing. I can talk via a multitude of ways with my friends while playing. I can play my music when I want, however I want when I play. I pay half price for the newest titles before they come out. I can wait a little bit and pay 75% off. I can crowdfund games aimed directly at me, the PC gamer. PC developers work directly with me and for me. I have retailers crawling over themselves for my attention to sell me bundles. I have an infinite amount of indie developers offering their wares to me on a weekly basis. Most of the time I can pay what I want for it. I also don't have to pay any gatekeepers a dime to play online.

Do I get absolutely everything? No. However, there is so much available to me that (if I wanted to) I honestly could not care less about getting everything. I get damn near close to it.
This one gets it

A GTX 550 can't even run BF3 on medium at 50FPS On another note, I can't run Crysis 3 on my GTX 260 at all because Crysis 3 will ONLY run on a direct x 11 enabled card. And I can't put a direct x 11 enabled card in my PC, because my PC has some sort of pci express 2.0 instead of 3.0, (or something like that, the details were gibberish to me.) So basically I needed to spend $1000 to play Crysis 3 on my PC.

A gtx 550 is an entry level bottom of the barrel gpu from 3 years ago... even slower than the xbox one gpu

You can use a modern gpu on pcie 2.0 just fine, what are you talking about...
You can spend 200 dollars on a new gpu and get better framerates and settings than the ps4
A current entry level gaming gpu (like an amd 270 or hd7850) costs you like 130 dollars and is much faster than xbone and close to what's in ps4

Get outta here with that 1000 dollar nonsense, you get what you pay for, if you spend 1000 bucks on a pc you get a beast that makes a ps4 look half a gen behind.

I know we're talking about the convenience of gaming here, but the consoles also attempt to be media consumption devices and I feel like in a lot of cases they're more inconvenient to use than a PC found in a home theater setup.

Convenience for me really hit when Windows added apps to Windows 8. Now I don't have to switch on my consoles for those media apps that run better than off the websites.

You know what's inconvenience? Turning on a console, waiting for it to boot. Tabbing over to the media app, loading the app, waiting for it to load.. having to painfully search through content without a keyboard... or sift through favorite content one by one. Then finally get my content to load.

My PC is always on. Just switch over, click Netflix/Hulu. I can go straight into a search or just scroll and click something to watch from a collection of tiles with favorited content. I don't have to scroll through them one by one.

It's hooked up to my big plasma, just like my PS3/360. So I can lay down and watch whatever, or eat dinner in front of the TV. I'm not stuck at a desk.

If I wanna jump into a game, I can load it up or just alt+tab into one that's still open.

Consoles are definitely much better with multitasking this gen though. Once voice commands are better, they'll be set. I really hope the PS4 makes use of its touch capabilities for things like menu navigation. Haven't tried it myself.

senahorse

I am not ignorant, I have a HTPC in my setup, and based on my experience, none of the M/KB solutions are even half as decent as using a controller or using M/KB on a desk. They're so inconvenient that I end up having to use remote desktop to start playing a movie on my HTPC. It's overall a horrible, horrendous experience. KB/M will NEVER be compatible with the living room.

So you don't have a setup that works well for you. I can tell you that mine works great for me and I have long since worked around any 'inconveniences'. I am talking about my setup, and it's perfectly fine for me, none of these perceived inconveniences even come close to the sacrifices I have to make by going console only in the living room. I am sorry your setup doesn't work for you, but mine is perfectly adequate, better, it's the perfect solution for me. Also, my PC isn't in the living room, it's in my study, but I have connectivity to both my living room and my rumpus (basement), I have 0 reasons to be play multiplatform games on a console.

PC is perfectly fine, and most likely better to use on a desk, no question. But it has no place in my living room.

Fixed that for you, sorry you couldn't get past your inconveniences and had to make other sacrifices.

I really don't understand how Nvidia even dares to compare home consoles which is so cheap compared to gaming PC's and say yeah LOL PC is the way to go, you can get like the ultimate graphics and performance!!11!1!

Sorry I'm not going to spend 1000+ euros, and even more than that as time goes by. If PC gaming was THE way to go, then console software sales wouldn't have crushed PC games sales all these years.

Such arrogance is pissing me off so much. Get more salty Nvidia because you couldn't get any deals with Sony and MS on their next gen consoles.

Good riddance.

This one gets it

A gtx 550 is an entry level bottom of the barrel gpu from 3 years ago... even slower than the xbox one gpu

You can use a modern gpu on pcie 2.0 just fine, what are you talking about...
You can spend 200 dollars on a new gpu and get better framerates and settings than the ps4
A current entry level gaming gpu (like an amd 270 or hd7850) costs you like 130 dollars and is much faster than xbone and close to what's in ps4

Get outta here with that 1000 dollar nonsense, you get what you pay for, if you spend 1000 bucks on a pc you get a beast that makes a ps4 look half a gen behind.

is that possible?

I really don't understand how Nvidia even dares to compare home consoles which is so cheap compared to gaming PC's and say yeah LOL PC is the way to go, you can get like the ultimate graphics and performance!!11!1!

Sorry I'm not going to spend 1000+ euros, and even more than that as time goes by. If PC gaming was THE way to go, then console software sales wouldn't have crushed PC games sales all these years.

Such arrogance is pissing me off so much. Get more salty Nvidia because you couldn't get any deals with Sony and MS on their next gen consoles.

Good riddance.
The pluralist choice doesn't equate the best choice. May even be against their philosophy. Nvidia is not delusional to believe they are more than a brand dedicate to the enthusiast gaming market, like Mercedes doesn't expect to outsell Volkswagen and Toyota.

Dude, PCI-E 3.0 is backwards compatible with 2.0. You can literally stick any DX11 graphics card in there and it'll work (although there might be some performance penalties).

DirectX 11 support is not related to PCI Express versioning. And there may be reasons why your motherboard X isn't compatible with card Y, but the PCI Express version isn't one of them.

First of all, a GTX 550 is not as good as the GTX 285, I know that can be confusing to some but you might want to check out a few benchmarks before you make a purchase.

PCIe 3.0 is backwards compatible with 2.0, so don't worry you can buy any new card that is out there and there wont be any difference.

I also think you're a bit confused on how backwards compatibility works, it's having the ability for your new hardware to work with your old games, not the other way around.

Yes it sucks that you can't play some of the newest games that are only available on Dx11 cards, but thats a very small price to pay for progress.

I've made a huge mistake.

coldfoot

Banned
I can't even
Yeah it's probably best you stay away from computers:p
That is some next level tech illiteracy
I have probably troubleshot more PC's than you've seen in your life. Trying to control a HTPC from the couch is so horrible that I'd rather do it remotely from a desk and then sit down to watch the movie.

coldfoot

Banned
Gaming with a KBM might be a pain from the couch, but using a KBM from the couch to set the game up is not.
Why is one a pain but not the other? This makes no sense. KB/M in the living room is only for hardcore nerds. It's the truth. The vast majority will NEVER in a billion years be OK with a keyboard anywhere but on a desk.

saelz8

If PC gaming was THE way to go, then console software sales wouldn't have crushed PC games sales all these years.
This is an argument for mobile gaming, and you don't even realize it. Enjoy your Angry Birds. Massive Sales. Awesome.

The sales argument is STUPID.

Biggest game on EARTH is League of Legends. It doesn't mean JACK SHIT to all those console only gamers that don't play it. Yes, that includes you.

I have probably troubleshot more PC's than you've seen in your life. Trying to control a HTPC from the couch is so horrible that I'd rather do it remotely from a desk and then sit down to watch the movie.
What is so painful about it? I'm genuinely curious. I'm sitting here with a wireless keyboard with a built-in touchpad responding to you from my sofa. No issues here.

What's the hard part for you? Not trolling or arguing.

fuck you nvidia.
The fuck is wrong with them.

This is an argument for mobile gaming, and you don't even realize it. Enjoy your Angry Birds. Massive Sales. Awesome.

The sales argument is STUPID.

Biggest game on EARTH is League of Legends. It doesn't mean JACK SHIT to all those console only gamers that don't play it. Yes, that includes you.

The sales argument is stupid when its a bunch of 99 cents till 15$(damn u SE) games for mobile phones.

Consoles crush sales with 50$ games and over 300$ consoles at their launches.
It's not stupid.

Use XBMC and control it with a dualshock or 360 pad then. You're not making a very good case for your technical proficiency here.

I don't get what's horrible about using a remote like rii, works perfectly fine for me. With my HTPC I can record and watch over the air shows (with a usb antenna), I can watch the free content on hulu.com without subscribing to hulu plus, I can use itunes, spotify, pandora, sunday ticket, there's nothing other than a HTPC that can do these things. and oh it's also my gaming PC

inm8num2

They would probably say the same thing actually. They profit far more from people buying GPUs than they ever would from having a tiny stake in a console sale.

Perhaps you are right. I guess all I'm trying to say is that they're further motivated by their lack of and AMD's stake in consoles.

But again, it's not like they're wrong regarding PC.

I know we're talking about the convenience of gaming here, but the consoles also attempt to be media consumption devices and I feel like in a lot of cases they're more inconvenient to use than a PC found in a home theater setup.

Convenience for me really hit when Windows added apps to Windows 8. Now I don't have to switch on my consoles for those media apps that run better than off the websites.

You know what's inconvenience? Turning on a console, waiting for it to boot. Tabbing over to the media app, loading the app, waiting for it to load.. having to painfully search through content without a keyboard... or sift through favorite content one by one. Then finally get my content to load.

My PC is always on. Just switch over, click Netflix/Hulu. I can go straight into a search or just scroll and click something to watch from a collection of tiles with favorited content. I don't have to scroll through them one by one.

It's hooked up to my big plasma, just like my PS3/360. So I can lay down and watch whatever, or eat dinner in front of the TV. I'm not stuck at a desk.

If I wanna jump into a game, I can load it up or just alt+tab into one that's still open.

Consoles are definitely much better with multitasking this gen though. Once voice commands are better, they'll be set. I really hope the PS4 makes use of its touch capabilities for things like menu navigation. Haven't tried it myself.

Yep this is how i feel. PC gaming is just so convenient for me and really that's supposed to be it's big downside.

Kingbrave

In a thread with a bunch of PC people you are really gonna throw out the "BBBut I've done more" argument?

And for someone who "troubleshoots more Pc's than you've seen in your life" how can you think controlling an HTPC from the couch is so horrible? It's not as if it takes a wizard to do it.

Why is one a pain but not the other? This makes no sense. KB/M in the living room is only for hardcore nerds. It's the truth. The vast majority will NEVER in a billion years be OK with a keyboard anywhere but on a desk.

What doesn't make sense?

I said playing a game from your couch with a KBM might be a pain. But setting up the game for controller use using your KBM is not. In the first scenario you are playing with a KBM. With the second scenario, you are using your controller to play.

You are making rather bold claims and unnecessary labels. Furthermore, I was speaking of controllers used in the living room, not KBM. It is hard to discuss something if you cannot keep that distinction straight at the very least.

You're obviously not a PC gamer. A GTX 285 could run BF3 on medium with 50FPS average. You want to know how old that card is? Four years old.

Now go back to being in the dark when it comes to anything related to PC. Too difficult for you to understand.

Edit: To add more, you can even game on a 580 that's three years old. On Ultra with 2xMSAA you get 50-60 FPS.
I have a 6870 from 2010 that runs BF4 at 50+ fps, I chose not to upgrade my GPU since I could run what I wanted perfectly fine, I am aware of that.

I quoted your comment in particular because it seemed pretty silly to make an absolute statement like that. Everyone upgrades eventually, especially the GPU.

That personal insult in the middle is appreciated though.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Trying to control a HTPC from the couch is so horrible that I'd rather do it remotely from a desk and then sit down to watch the movie.

_460_0_57Y6678_V1.jpg

Enjoy.

I get the concerns, Sony and MS are going to bridge the gap even more this generation than the last one I feel

Ever since their inception, consoles have not done a single thing to close the gap with PC gaming's defining qualities: freedom of choice, customization, options. On the other hand PCs are constantly becoming cheaper, easier to use, they are adopting console form factors and control methods without sacrificing the platforms long-standing values. The gap is indeed shrinking but not the way you think.

Jtrizzy

photo2.jpg

Am I the only one who has zero issues with doing all of this from a couch? This is how I'm sitting right now, I can't imagine being much more comfortable than I am right now. Wireless Logitech KB with touchpad, and a wireless mouse.

photo2.jpg

Am I the only one who has zero issues with doing all of this from a couch? This is how I'm sitting right now, I can't imagine being much more comfortable than I am right now. Wireless Logitech KB with touchpad, and a wireless mouse.
Nope, that's my exact setup, same KB too. I use a wired mouse for MMO gaming though because I like the G600, but that's how I sit.

cheezcake

Breaking news: PC gaming parts manufacturer promotes PC gaming

I'm somewhat impressed/horrified we're on 20 pages

here comes the $400 "comparable" pc builds that lack a crap load of stuff you would need to actually use it.

A 1000 dollar pc is half a gen ahead already and can do a lot more than play games, it also doesn't require you to pay to play online so there are a LOT of cost savings there over the next generation.

The steambox linked above is ps4 equivalent for 500 ... what more do you want?

These new consoles are no longer subsidised, get it into your heads! You are no longer getting some great value deal like you were with the ps3 (800 dollar BOM + blu ray player when those standalone were still 500 dollars) or the xbox 360 at their launches.

You're paying out the ass for what is now considered entry level to low end hardware for anyone purchasing a new gaming pc while getting fleeced for pricing for the games and having to pay even more extra to play those expensive games in multiplayer...

All this in a walled garden where you have no control over the hardware and software and few features compared to any random htpc.

This delusional idea that you get some kind of great value when you buy a console right now is getting old fast.
And from here on it's only downhill as pc hardware evolves (just like it was last gen, but now the hardware didn't even start out subsidised)

Just accept what these consoles are... easy to use walled gardens with sony/ms exclusives and no BC and all the downsides and upsides that these properties entail.
You get killzone and halo, you don't get total war or dota, you get something any tech illiterate can use, but you lose out on features and software, the entry price is approachable for casual gamers but the hardware reflects the price and you pay it back thrice over time through console game premiums and online fees, every game on it is made for a controller, but many games on it are gimped by design to work on a controller, and you don't have the choice of using a M/K or your old racing wheel that you paid 300 bucks for.

The only justification for owning one is the specific games that aren't on the other platforms, if it's multiplatform games or pc exclusives you want you go with a pc because there you can have your cake and eat it too.

Grief.exe

lol what? Why do you derail every thread coldfoot?

We get it, you don't like M/KB, but this crusade is getting insane. Not to mention grossly uninformed.

This is an HTPC case, you build your computer inside of it and set it in your entertainment center. Couple it with a couple of quiet fans and you have yourself an amazing build.

You can also turn on your PC while sitting down, though I have no idea why this is such a big deal. Just have both your TV and PC set to control through HDMI input, and you can turn it on from a controller.

NOX-Media-HD-a-Rare-HTPC-Case-With-Support-for-Full-ATX-Motherboards-2.jpg

NOX-Media-HD-a-Rare-HTPC-Case-With-Support-for-Full-ATX-Motherboards-5.jpg

Lol what?

Well, if you expect to be playing all new games at their best or at the highest performance. At least from what I've seen. I didn't really mean obsolete, more like you have to make sacrifices to your settings in order to play the newest games.

HTPC and PS4/PS3 user here. Dragons Dogma Dark Arisen isn't on PC and was free from PS+. PS3 also has stuff readily available for me like Bluray, DVD, Netflix, Tune In Radio, Amazon Prime(student discount).
(I'm not going to bring up comfy couch)

Depending on the game, HTPC is nowhere near as convenient to play games on as my consoles but, I like being able to purchase certain games on it. The main reason I do any gaming on PC is backwards compatibility, MMO's(keyboard, mouse, high res), cheap game sales, exclusives, and the ability to mod and run higher resolutions and frame-rates.

I do think the convenience is getting easier, especially if you have a tablet (Nexus 7 + Unified Remote App). Steambox is coming too, and I'm really excited for it.

I think Steambox has the ability, especially by creating standards for devs to go by, to bridge the gap of ease of use, and essentially become a fantastic gaming option for console users. I'm buying one myself, but not until the hardware and software matures, or I can pick up a used one for $200 or so.

Wynnebeck

Banned
A 1000 dollar pc is half a gen ahead already and can do a lot more than play games, it also doesn't require you to pay to play online so there are a LOT of cost savings there over the next generation.

The steambox linked above is ps4 equivalent for 500 ... what more do you want?

These new consoles are no longer subsidised, get it into your heads! You are no longer getting some great value deal like you were with the ps3 (800 dollar BOM + blu ray player when those standalone were still 500 dollars) or the xbox 360 at their launches.

You're paying out the ass for what is now considered entry level to low end hardware for anyone purchasing a new gaming pc while getting fleeced for pricing for the games and having to pay even more extra to play those expensive games in multiplayer...

All this in a walled garden where you have no control over the hardware and software and few features compared to any random htpc.

This delusional idea that you get some kind of great value when you buy a console right now is getting old fast.
And from here on it's only downhill as pc hardware evolves (just like it was last gen, but now the hardware didn't even start out subsidised)

Just accept what these consoles are... easy to use walled gardens with sony/ms exclusives and no BC and all the downsides and upsides that these properties entail.
You get killzone and halo, you don't get total war or dota, you get something any tech illiterate can use, but you lose out on features and software, the entry price is approachable for casual gamers but the hardware reflects the price and you pay it back thrice over time through console game premiums and online fees, every game on it is made for a controller, but many games on it are gimped by design to work on a controller, and you don't have the choice of using a M/K or your old racing wheel that you paid 300 bucks for.

The only justification for owning one is the specific games that aren't on the other platforms, if it's multiplatform games or pc exclusives you want you go with a pc because there you can have your cake and eat it too.

I'm sorry, but gaming on a PC is not some grand Utopian plane of existence where rainbows are going to shoot out of your dick when you slap yourself in the forehead and realize what an ignoramus you've been for not seeing the light sooner.

BigDug13

PC gaming is utterly fantastic when you have beefy specs, a streamlined OS, latest drivers, no hardware issues, no bloated software making your computer slower, etc.

It's fantastic when you have those things.

But enter any "xxxx Game Performance Thread" on these forums and see page after page of people experiencing issues, posting asking for tips to tweak their specific hardware specs to make the game run smoothly, downloading additional software tools like D3DOverrider and RadeonPRO to overwrite what the game video settings are attempting to do, or simply asking what they should turn up to high and what to turn down to low in order to make the experience smooth.

There's simply a whole lot of gamers that don't want to do any of that. I also game on a PC, and I love the lower prices of games, it's also lower prices overall when you factor in game-cost+hardware cost+free online compared to consoles.

But outside of that. It's nice to just pop in a disc and not worry about having to do a reboot first. Or worry about video settings not giving you the best performance for your hardware without guess-work, forum questions, and trial-and-error. Or to be constantly enticed to "tweak this" and "tweak that" because of your own inability to "live with the settings that are functional" where you end up spending more time in your settings menu than actually gaming.

Gaming is a world of both types of people. And honestly, there are times where I know my hardware can't keep up. I know that BF4 and AC4 would have just made me angry with settings-tweaks to attempt to get it to perform decently based on my hardware specs and right now. AC4 on the PS4 is simple and functional with great performance. No settings tweaks required.

Top Bottom