• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia: Gamers should not limit their options to PS4/XB1; PC is the way to go

Monocle

OK, let me just cough up the thousands of dollars I'd need to build a high-end gaming PC. Money I could use to buy all three next gen consoles.

Faith

OK, let me just cough up the thousands of dollars I'd need to build a high-end gaming PC. Money I could use to buy all three next gen consoles.
You will get "highend" for 1000 bucks. And the most important part is that the games are much cheaper on the PC.

You will spend 100-200$/year more for the games and then you have to pay to play online. Console gaming is always more expensive.

Saty

I'm defending PC in this thread, but I disagree. I wouldn't game on my PC if it didn't have games I like - so it's a valid argument to say "I prefer X console because it has exclusives I love".

Still a valid reason to argue against PC's. There is no one company that makes PC's, closest we get are GPU manufacturers or MS trying to push a new version of Windows, and therefore AAA exclusives like Uncharted aren't developed for PC's.

1st-party exclusives are a valid reason to argue for that specific console over another. But that another platform it also another console, and not only the PC.
It's important to understand that:

1. If you're trying to argue in favor of consoles as a concept or a philosophy over pc in general, or why a single-sepc'ed closed platform is better, then first-party exclusives aren't the way to do it because they are exclusive to one platform. As much as Uncharted provides a 'win' over PC, it provides the same 'win' over 360.

2. The developers of first-party exclusive don't have a choice over the platform their game is on. They are contractually obliged; the reason they develop for that console isn't thanks to any property that console has over any other platform - it's purely because they are owned by the platform holder. If you would have givenNaughty Dog the opportunity to release Uncharted on non-Sony platforms, they would have most likely taken it.

That's why if you want to argue one for shape of gaming platform (consoles) over another (pc) it's best to stick to games which are released on the 360 and PS3 but aren't on PC. The publishers chose not to put the game on PC while putting it elsewhere so that could be used as an argument in favor of consoles over PC.

In the same way, most PC exclusives are such because the developer chose so and decided that only on that platform can their game exist, succeed or is best suited for.

nasos_333

You will get "highend" for 1000 bucks. And the most important part is that the games are much cheaper on the PC.

You will spend 100-200$/year more for the games and then you have to pay to play online. Console gaming is always more expensive.

That is a myth really

If you rent games and dont game online, console gaming is closer to free gaming with a 300$ entry.

Also what good is highend, if i cannot play the JRPGs i want (while with a PS4 i will play them and play all major PC games i want like Witcher 3)

Faith

That is a myth really

If you rent games and dont game online, console gaming is closer to free gaming with a 300$ entry
Renting games is like stealing them (for the developer). If you argue like that than you could say "On PC you can play every game for free because of torrent webpages".

nasos_333

Renting games is like stealing them (for the developer). If you argue like that than you could say "On PC you can play every game for free because of torrent webpages".

Wait a moment, i go to my videoclub and has all those games in the shelves. I rent them

I am not doing something illegal or "stealing" them

It is nothing like torrents, sorry

The rights to be rented are fully paid to the developer BTW, you think they can rent these for free ?

I always buy the games i want to keep though and all indie titles

So, back to my 100% true statement, if you rent games which BTW is done fully legally and the videoclub had paid for the rights, you get to game for almost free with a 300$ entry once per 5-7 years

That is so far from what i would pay for PC gaming as it gets, i wont spell an ammount because would be too hard to handle really

I get your point, but one is legal and one isn't. It's honestly as simple as that. I do believe in supporting devs though, and doing so with new purchases, should the game/content be worth it to you.

nasos_333

I get your point, but one is legal and one isn't. It's honestly as simple as that. I do believe in supporting devs though, and doing so with new purchases, should the game/content be worth it to you.

I always buy RPGs and all indie titles, the games i rent are games i would normally skip, which does happen to be a good 90% of games around

I always buy the RPGs i want day one, so PC would have only a 10$ benefit per game for me, which is minor

Plus renting is not stealing, it is legal and paid for to the developers and publishers

renting is not the same as pirating, that was a funny one

velociraptor

Are you dense or just plain trolling? Why would you want to keep your PC up to date? Do you honestly think every PC gamer buys new parts every month? There are people who game on 4+ year old hardware.

And as for your £900 PC, did you even bother building it or just buy a premade one? Hard to believe anyone who knows anything about PCs would not upgrade something to keep his/her PC from becoming outdated so fast.
I built it myself. It was a high end PC in 2011. Now it can no longer run all games in 1080p60.

They game on 4 year old hardware but probably at lower graphical settings, framerate or resolution. But keep in mind most mainstream PC releases have been 'current gen ports'. Obviously I'll need a much stronger PC to run the new gen ports.

highrider

Banned

Yeah, I'm with you. My wife supports my gaming but if I started in with a desktop gaming rig I would be pushing it. If there was games on Pc that I was compelled to play it would help, but most of the stuff I like is on consoles. I'm sure it's pretty sweet to play multiplatform stuff at high settings, but that alone isn't worth the cost of admission for me. Ps4, vita, and maybe a xbox one in a few years at a lower price. I'm good nvidia.

Finaika

Yeah, I'm with you. My wife supports my gaming but if I started in with a desktop gaming rig I would be pushing it. If there was games on Pc that I was compelled to play it would help, but most of the stuff I like is on consoles. I'm sure it's pretty sweet to play multiplatform stuff at high settings, but that alone isn't worth the cost of admission for me. Ps4, vita, and maybe a xbox one in a few years at a lower price. I'm good nvidia.

You should get your wife into PC gaming.

Dorfdepp

Neo Member
I built it myself. It was a high end PC in 2011. Now it can no longer run all games in 1080p60.

They game on 4 year old hardware but probably at lower graphical settings, framerate or resolution. But keep in mind most mainstream PC releases have been 'current gen ports'. Obviously I'll need a much stronger PC to run the new gen ports.

That's strange, I built my rig in 2011 as well and i still can play all games in 1080/60fps. I mean you even said in that post how you achieve that.

And I'm sure you could get PS4 graphical levels in a game like BF4 if you cap the fps at 30 on high settings at a 900p resolution..

ghst

thanks for the laugh
when a publisher attempts to strong-arm gamers into using their free app to play their games, they're met with universal derision.

when a publisher attempts to strong-arm gamers into buying a $400 piece of proprietary hardware to play their games, they're met with rapturous applause.

nasos_333

when a publisher attempts to strong-arm gamers into using their free app to play their games, they're met with universal derision.

when a publisher attempts to strong-arm gamers into buying a $400 piece of proprietary hardware to play their games, they're met with rapturous applause.

I like that enforcement, has saved me thousands of $ i would have paid on PC and for upgrades and buying games than renting them

PC gaming is more expensive but better value.

In what ways is it a better value for gaming ? Because it misses all the major console exclusives like Demons Souls or JRPGs, while most of the major PC games are on consoles, like Witcher 3

Or you mean in general ?

If it is the latter, then why not get a work PC and a console and skip the good GPU

That way you can have the PC in your office and not in the living room to play games and then really get its true value

nasos_333

Really? Don't you mean millions of $?

Why would i mean million $, when it is only thousands ?

I never had to buy a gaming PC since xbox 1 days, that would be at least 3 new PCs, which is around 3000$ with everything counted.

Add another 200 games i would need to buy than rent, this would be 200x50$ = 10.000$ instead of renting them for 2$x200 = 400$

So a total benefit of 9600$ + 4000$ = 12600$ give or take since xbox 1

I wont even go to the fact that i have my work PC game free and can work properly on it

erawsd

That's strange, I built my rig in 2011 as well and i still can play all games in 1080/60fps. I mean you even said in that post how you achieve that.

And I'm sure you could get PS4 graphical levels in a game like BF4 if you cap the fps at 30 on high settings at a 900p resolution..

Well, I think BF4 runs @60fps on consoles. I <3 PC gaming but I doubt a 2011 rig will out perform a brand new console (barring some insane OC). However, you could pretty easily update that 2011 PC with the $400 you would spent on a new console.

Ty4on

That's tough though. Part of why PC gaming is so appealing is because you were already going to be in the market for a PC anyway for normal everyday stuff, so why not pay a bit more for PC hardware capable of playing games.

Unless we can do a dual boot of normal PC's and have a STEAM OS as a second boot option? Some people still need Windows stuff for their everyday lives.

Steam OS would mean more Linux games. I've only used Ubuntu on my school PC, but it's much better than Windows at multitasking. Even now with an SSD only Win8 desktop it still feels like a breeze to multitask on my 08 Ubuntu laptop until I run out of RAM.
ubuntu-workspaces.jpg

What advancements have Windows really made on the desktop front these last years in UI?

spirity

In what ways is it a better value for gaming ? Because it misses all the major console exclusives like Demons Souls or JRPGs, while most of the major PC games are on consoles, like Witcher 3

The major PC games are NOT on console. DOTA, LoL, Starcraft, WoW, Civ to name a few have huge followings and pc only. I think LoL is the most popular game in the world right now (besides Angry Birds or Cut The Rope or stuff like that).

A gaming PC is great, but as a gamer I feel I need multiple systems, as there are multiple exclusives on pretty much all systems that I want. Wonderful 101, Mario 3D World and The Last of Us are three of the best games of the year and not available on PC.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
A gaming PC is great, but as a gamer I feel I need multiple systems, as there are multiple exclusives on pretty much all systems that I want. Wonderful 101, Mario 3D World and The Last of Us are three of the best games of the year and not available on PC.

Yea when it comes to exclusives....having just one console or gaming on PC only seems like some ppl are missing out. I understand everyone cant afford to have multiple consoles.

Zoned

Actively hates charity
The major PC games are NOT on console. DOTA, LoL, Starcraft, WoW, Civ to name a few have huge followings and pc only. I think LoL is the most popular game in the world right now (besides Angry Birds or Cut The Rope or stuff like that).

But none of them require any kind of gaming PC to play. So why bother spending $$$ for GPU upgrade every 2 years or so when all I will get is shitty console ports?

Or you mean in general ?

If it is the latter, then why not get a work PC and a console and skip the good GPU

That way you can have the PC in your office and not in the living room to play games and then really get its true value

I'd say PC gaming is more bang for your buck. For a little extra initial outlay I've had 1080p/60fps gaming for like 4 years now. Games are generally cheaper and im not waiting on publishers to re-sell me a game so I can play it in a higher resolution.

Dorfdepp

Neo Member
Well, I think BF4 runs @60fps on consoles. I <3 PC gaming but I doubt a 2011 rig will out perform a brand new console (barring some insane OC). However, you could pretty easily update that 2011 PC with the $400 you would spent on a new console.

My point is that you don't have to run everything maxed out. Some people make it seem that way and it's just not true. I love my maxed out graphics and I more or less have a completely new PC every couple of years. But if i can't max out something, I won't say "dang, can't run new games in 1080p/60fps". You can on PC, thanks to the settings.

spirity

But none of them require any kind of gaming PC to play. So why bother spending $$$ for GPU upgrade every 2 years or so when all I will get is shitty console ports?

That wasn't my argument. I was replying to someone who said "most of the major PC games are on console". Which clearly isn't true.

But to answer your point, the reason I keep a gaming rig up to date in terms of its components, is so I can have pc exclusive games -and- cross platform titles. Yes, the ports are often unoptimised.

ghst

thanks for the laugh

its depressing to see someone in such a disadvantaged position still try to build their arguments on negatives.

as a japanese centric gamer, your best hope for the future is that your favoured corner of the industry has a much more positive dialogue with PC gaming than your inner narrative does, because the current console model has eroded away at it until all that's left is an anaemic spluttering of westernised releases and shuttered studios.

PC has a long and proud tradition of modestly budgeted stat heavy/mechanically demanding experiences catering to niche audiences. outside of handhelds, it's the probably the best hope the japanese industry has for some kind of resurgence - just look at mighty no. 9.

the fact you're using demon souls as part of your argument given the development of that series makes me think you're being less than genuine.

Zen

Banned
That wasn't my argument. I was replying to someone who said "most of the major PC games are on console". Which clearly isn't true.

But to answer your point, the reason I keep a gaming rig up to date in terms of its components, is so I can have pc exclusive games -and- cross platform titles. Yes, the ports are often unoptimised.

Most PC games that require a dedicated gaming PC to play are on consoles.*

My point is that you don't have to run everything maxed out. Some people make it seem that way and it's just not true. I love my maxed out graphics and I more or less have a completely new PC every couple of years. But if i can't max out something, I won't say "dang, can't run new games in 1080p/60fps". You can on PC, thanks to the settings.

That's also exactly why you don't really need to dedicate yourself to PC gaming only. You can play a ton (if not the majority) of the unique content on PC quite comfortably without a 'gaming pc' and still for all intents and purposes devote your up front money to 'consoles'.

Zoned

Actively hates charity

I agree with this.

Even a company like Blizzard has entered console market. Not to say released a better version of their PC exclusive franchise on console itself.

FACE

Banned
I agree with this.

Even a company like Blizzard has entered console market. Not to say released a better version of their PC exclusive franchise on console itself.

On that subject, do we know how much Diablo 3 sold on consoles? I wonder if fucking over their most loyal fanbase paid off.

That is a myth really

If you rent games and dont game online, console gaming is closer to free gaming with a 300$ entry.

Well, that is certainly a... unique way of putting it. Console gaming is apparently free!*

*as long as you pay $400, don't play online and don't buy any games

Zen

Banned
How does releasing a console version fuck over their fanbase? Are you meaning that they compromised design ahead of time to plan for a console release?

FACE

Banned
How does releasing a console version fuck over their fanbase? Are you meaning that they compromised design ahead of time to plan for a console release?

Can't think of any other reason why they only let you have 6 active skills and one potion slot.

erawsd

I agree with that, I rarely ever run a game with everything maxed because I care more about rock solid performance.

I'm was saying that your average 2011 Gaming rig isn't likely to match a PS4.

I love how the PC-only crowd considers PC games way cheaper than console games, conveniently ignoring the fact that even launch titles on Steam cost around 50 euros in many European countries. Yes, Steam sales are competitive, but console games drop in price considerably as well, 6 months after they are released. I've only bought two PS3 games for over 30 euros (RDR and Dark Souls), the rest of my library I bought for around 15 euros each (and I've been playing exclusively on PC and do not have PS+ mind you, because I don't have access to my PS3).

So, just to be fair, you can't make a point for PC games' prices by assuming that console games cost 70 euros (10-15 more than they currently cost) for as long as the gen lasts. Everything's expensive if you're an early adopter or buy on launch.

spirity

Thats fair.

A mistake I often see people make is them project their tastes onto others. I use my pc as a multi-task device. Audio production, multimedia capabilities, emulation, modding, as well as playing games and web browsing etc. I keep it up to date so its on top of all the tasks I need it to do. In my eyes, it represents great value for money. It is the right choice for me.

However, it may not be the right choice for you. Or anyone else here. I respect that.

Zoned

Actively hates charity
On that subject, do we know how much Diablo 3 sold on consoles? I wonder if fucking over their most loyal fanbase paid off.

I don't really understand what blizzard actually wanted to do with Diablo 3.

This game was already destined to sell huge on PC, and came out to be one of the best selling on PC, but still they released a better version on console with a tiny Diablo fan base.

Truly absurd.

Faith

I love how the PC-only crowd considers PC games way cheaper than console games, conveniently ignoring the fact that even launch titles on Steam cost around 50 euros in many European countries. Yes, Steam sales are competitive, but console games drop in price considerably as well, 6 months after they are released. I've only bought two PS3 games for over 30 euros (RDR and Dark Souls), the rest of my library I bought for around 15 euros each (and I've been playing exclusively on PC and do not have PS+ mind you, because I don't have access to my PS3).

So, just to be fair, you can't make a point for PC games' prices by assuming that console games cost 70 euros (10-15 more than they currently cost) for as long as the gen lasts. Everything's expensive if you're an early adopter or buy on launch.
You're simply wrong. I have a Xbox360/PS3 and will buy a PS4/One, I'm not PC-only.

And you don't have to buy it from the official stores. I got Bioshock Infinite, Battlefield 4 and many more games for 30-35$ (preordered it), you just have to know where to buy. And on these sites the console version is always 10-20$ more expensive.

PC Gaming is the best and cheapest. Fact.

Zoned

Actively hates charity
You're simply wrong. I have a Xbox360/PS3 and will buy a PS4/One, I'm not PC-only.

And you don't have to buy it from the official stores. I got Bioshock Infinite, Battlefield 4 and many more games for 30-35$ (preordered it), you just have to know where to buy. And on these sites the console version is always 10-20$ more expensive.

PC Gaming is the best and cheapest. Fact.

That's true. When it comes to prices, nothing can beat PC. I got AC 4 and Blacklist for 22$ on eBay.

Although, PS+ has changed that completely on PS3, but I'm still skeptical of what they will offer on PS4.

PC's are good for gaming in a lot of ways, but for me the PC can't be my only/primary gaming platform just because I'm not okay with the DRM that comes with most digital distribution stores and even most retail PC games (requiring server authentication to install/play). I know there are some DRM-free options, but those mostly exist for older and indie games.

Top Bottom