• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NVidia passed on providing console GPUs due to purchase price, opportunity cost

well, that's what you get for burning bridges with microsoft and sony. Wasn't there a rumor about the 3ds having a tegra chip inside? was that false or they fucked up that deal too?

Liamario

Banned
Article title is highly misleading. At best, PS4 was used as an example; rather than them having negotiation issues specifically with Sony.

vg260

I'm sure there was a negotiation that went on," Tony Tamasi, Senior VP of content and technology at Nvidia told GameSpot, "and we came to the conclusion that we didn't want to do the business at the price those guys were willing to pay.

Based on the "I'm sure..." part, it sounds like he's just speculating even if that might be the case. Otherwise, he would just leave that part out.

Doesn't seem particularly salty to me. It's pretty obvious that AMD was willing to sell their souls to get the deals and I just can't see any way it could be particularly profitable for them.

Nvidia are better off concentrating on what they do best.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
Is there any way for them to say the same thing that won't come off as completely butthurt?

Silence works well on that front.

Rad-

Not seeing the salt here... Sounds like pretty common business situation. Nvidia is in a great spot so if they didn't get a price that is good for them, they passed.

AMD was way cheaper because they had to be.

Call the fucking Waaaaambulance.

"We gave Xbox a mediocre GPU and gave PS3 a sack of shit GPU, and now no one wants to deal with us. D=. We hate you!"

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Nvidia was used in PS3? Huh, I thought it was ATI...

Anyway, weird that they do one console for both Sony and Microsoft and the next generation are dropped like a bad habit. Something has to be in the way behind the scenes for them to just drop like that.

Einbroch

Banned
Doesn't seem particularly salty to me. It's pretty obvious that AMD was willing to sell their souls to get the deals and I just can't see any way it could be particularly profitable for them.

Nvidia are better off concentrating on what they do best.
Like Shield.

Cidd

This Makes me happy that AMD got the contracts for all 3 consoles, Nvidia I love your cards and your drivers (using a GTX570) but your ego is way outta line. I wouldn't want them monopolizing the GPU industry, We need competition and balance.

Rad-

What will happen next gen if AMD goes bankrupt ?
The only option coonsole makers will be nvidia

It won't matter next gen because the deals are already made. But next next gen could get expensive if Nvidia was the only one.

Is there any way for them to say the same thing that won't come off as completely butthurt?

They could go with saying nothing at all.

I'm certain that any discussion regarding providing hardware on new consoles was complicated and had a lot of reasons and people behind it. Saying something like this just sounds like trying to save face to investors or something like that.

Valnen

What will happen next gen if AMD goes bankrupt ?
The only option coonsole makers will be nvidia

If AMD goes bankrupt there will be a lot of engineers looking for work and waiting to be snatched up by the likes of Microsoft/Sony, I would think.

LAMBO

Console makers using their brains and not signing a ridiculous Nvidia contract? I know they screwed over MS pretty good with the original Xbox GPU pricing, I wonder how much they were charging for the 360 and ps3 stuff.

ChrisG683

Profitability-wise, they probably have a point, as consoles do not generate profit, the chips would need to be sold very cheap.

They also don't have an APU equivalent do they? I'm only aware of their GPU and Tegra solutions, so it would cost them a lot of money to produce a CPU + GPU hybrid chip that isn't going to return them much money.

Ty4on

Didn't Nvidia basically destroy their relationship with MS (and Sony) by not reducing the price later on? And Sony went for Nvidia just to make PS3 to 360 ports harder.

You guys realise that Nvidia are doing pretty well in the mobile space yeah? AMD needed this a lot more than they did, so of course they were willing to pitch lower.

Actually they are right. Why go to develop technology that you won't be able to use immediately in other markets. Last I knew it was AMD who was on the red. So as much as GAF likes to shit on nvidia, they are actually making pretty good business decisions.

ironcreed

Banned
Guess they just wanted more money, but it looks like they are doing pretty well in the PC world anyway. AMD just seemed like a better fit all around, to be honest. They needed the business and apparently offered a good price/power ratio that worked well for both Sony and MS.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Well I dont think they have screwed over Nintendo yet. Maybe they can get in on the Wii U successor.
I believe they have.

Nvidia over promised what they could deliver with the Tegra line for Nintendo and ended up losing that. Nintendo was well onboard quite late into the development cycle of the handheld. Government documents have shown mainboards for the tegra 3DS etc. Nintendo stubbornly builds with near in cement goals in mind so when Nvidia overpromised and underdelivered they dropped them fast.

Actually they are right. Why go to develop technology that you won't be able to use immediately in other markets. Last I knew it was AMD who was on the red. So as much as GAF likes to shit on nvidia, they are actually making pretty good business decisions.

Only in the console space buckaroo.

In the PC space NVIDIA's hailed as the saviour of PC gaming.

PCGAF recommends NVIDIA's cards over AMD's cards all the time.

DriverGAF prefers NVIDIA's drivers to AMD's drivers.

Bleeding Edge GAF buys NVIDIA Titans up the ass.

And so on, and so forth.

So Sony didn't want to pay the Nvidia premium?

Nvidia should rethink turning big business away at the door before AMD sneaks up on their ass.

Isaccard

ITT: People don't realize how badly AMD needs the money from console

nvidia is doing just fine. lol at all the salty comments

Blinck

That does seem a bit of a butthurt statement. But they still are the kings in the PC market, and rightfully so.

Top Bottom