• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia Shield Thread

ss_lemonade

I haven't been keeping up with this but can it run android apps/games? With its hardware, I expect this to be very fast compared to new mobile phones/tablets, especially with the resolution only maxed out at 720p

Nymerio

It's weird that this isn't even released and already feels like one of the "weird" devices of gaming history. (Ngage, virtual boy, etc...)

Nvidia should have built this capability into a tablet and allowed the user to choose a controller if they wanted to stream/play certain games.

I'd be all over that.

When they say pc streaming, does it have some sort of Steam app that let's you access your library or do you still need your PC. It says over wifi, but how the hell do you do that on it without a client like Steam?

I haven't been keeping up with this but can it run android apps/games? With its hardware, I expect this to be very fast compared to new mobile phones/tablets, especially with the resolution only maxed out at 720p

Yes, this runs full blown Android. I'd rather have a bigger screen and give me options of using my own controller. Anyway, this thing will flop. However, I looking forward to Tegra 5 (Project Logan).

Waiting to see if the streaming "beta" is really restrictive or if it's just a cover-our-asses approach to the problem that some very small set of games are going to invariably have issues with the streaming tech.

If it is the latter, will jump in as soon as I can. People who have actually used the device are generally positive about the form factor/controller and PC games > actual handheld games.

nampad

I like the hardware and enjoy playing portables. Can't justify putting down 300 bucks without some interesting (exclusive) games though. The Android market is so barren, would it be an iOS device, I would consider a purchase more.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
I think it might be just you. Honestly this is the first I heard of it at all.

Nice job on the OT?

I'm curious as to how the latency of Local PC streaming compares to OnLive/Agawi/Ubitus/other cloud gaming services, etc. I think cloud gaming is a pretty good thing for tablets with use of a controller. I have more tolerance for issues with tablet gaming than PC gaming.

Ten years ago, this would have been a must-buy. Today, it can't compete. The core gaming market has the Vita, Nintendo fans have the 3DS, and everyone else who plays games now and then have their iThings.

This thing would definitely fly off of shelves if it was a $100 cradle for your phone and shipped with a couple of core games.

PaNDaSHaT

Neo Member
I just want to say that there are games outside of the supported beta that work, I think those are just the ones that have been though lots of testing.

When you stream, Steam Big pictures opens and you launch your games from there. You can launch Origin/other games by adding them to your Steam library. I've done that with BF3 and NFS personally.

I also did my Dark Souls SL1 run completely on Shield via Streaming. Made a post on /r/Darksouls where I answered a lot of general questions about Shield.

I do, obviously, work for NVIDIA. I'm not on the Shield team, marketing or social media but I lurk here all the time and figured I would throw in what I know about the product while there is some discussion.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Only interested in the pc streaming, until its out of beta I will pass.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Android "gaming" is a fucking joke and the streaming features are extremely limited and probably janky as fuck.

What are you doing, Nvidia. Stahp.

DangerStepp

Was this just a regular thread earlier... now it's the OT? :lol

No, $299 is entirely too much for that. I would rather invest that money into my next GPU rather than spend to stream from what I currently have.

I just want to say that there are games outside of the supported beta that work, I think those are just the ones that have been though lots of testing.

When you stream, Steam Big pictures opens and you launch your games from there. You can launch Origin/other games by adding them to your Steam library. I've done that with BF3 and NFS personally.

I also did my Dark Souls SL1 run completely on Shield via Streaming. Made a post on /r/Darksouls where I answered a lot of general questions about Shield.

I do, obviously, work for NVIDIA. I'm not on the Shield team, marketing or social media but I lurk here all the time and figured I would throw in what I know about the product while there is some discussion.

Good looking out. Im on the fence atm but this streaming feature really has me wanting one. I wonder how long it will be before Nvidia takes it out of beta?

Ahmed360

I was seriously interested until I heard that next year there will be a revision with latest Tegra packing Kepler cores (delicious yummy), so I think buying it now for 300$ would be a bad investment...

Make it <200$ and I might reconsider.

Anyway, it would be used mostly for emulation.

So is this in any way different from SplashTop's Tegra-only app in performance?

Because I would prefer to use something like a Wikipad or the Nexus 7 controller cradle than this. And I'd save $100 too.

Cheebo

Banned
Ten years ago, this would have been a must-buy. Today, it can't compete. The core gaming market has the Vita, Nintendo fans have the 3DS, and everyone else who plays games now and then have their iThings.
The core gaming market is the 3DS market. The vita market is for the hardcore Sony fans. You seemed to mix the markets for the two handhelds.

Zeth

I actually want to get one. Just can't justify it at the moment, as it's a toy that might not even work that well. I am very interested in reading about how the software/streaming performs in reviews.

pfkas

Does this work with full-screen games or does it need to run in a window like splashtop?

I'm on the fence, but I'm in the UK so I'll be able to get a feel for it long before it gets over here.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I've used it twice now in two places.

It works surprisingly well. I don't like the feel of the device and it's a bit heavy. The screen on it is really nice. It does what it says it does, and the latency is about the same as most console games.

For $300? No thanks, but I'm not the target for this. I would not trade my nice PC setup and 120Hz/low input delay for portability, but if you wanted to play Civ 5 anywhere in your house on a handheld this is for you.
Not according to their site:

They only list 15 games on their site, most of which I've played or have no interest in. The Streaming PC Games feature is only in "Beta" at the launch of the device.

Supported games:
Bioshock Infinite
Borderlands 2
Dead Island: Riptide
Devil May Cry (DMC 5)
F1 2012
F1 Race Stars
Grand Theft Auto 4
Half-life 2
Metro: Last Light
Portal 2
Pressure
Resident Evil 6
Skyrim
Star Trek
Tomb Raider 2013
Never was told this. :/
Does this work with full-screen games or does it need to run in a window like splashtop?

I'm on the fence, but I'm in the UK so I'll be able to get a feel for it long before it gets over here.
The GPU encodes on the fly so I don't think it matters.

Dr. Kaos

Banned
Remember the Gizmondo?

Apprently nVidia doesn't, which is a pity because their console/wireless screen for nVidia 6xx GPU owners has the same chance of succeeding.

I remember the game journos at E3 back in 2005 milking the doomed Gizmondo for all they could. It was quite sad.

You don't launch a console without several *exclusive* killer games. Microsoft has Ryse, Forza and KI. Sony has Santa Monica Studios and Naughty Dogs. Nintendo has Miyamoto. What does nVidia have? A chip?

Show me the games, nVidia. Exclusive ones. I already played Bioshock and HL2.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!

This swings me back into wanting one. I have my PC hooked up in my gamming room on a TV, play all my games via Xbox controller. What I want to do is start a game on PC (if needed) then play that game in other rooms of my home via the Shield.

Games not on list I'm hoping work are Far Cry 3, Blood Dragon, Ass Creed 3, Crysis 3, Witcher 2 to name a few. All I play with Xbox controller so I don't see why after booting it up it wouldn't work.

Wonder if they will do some sort of Bundle with one of the newer 3d cards instead of coming with games, IE buy GTX 770, get shield for $200.

mjswooosh

Banned
Nvidia has only invested about $10 million in to the project. They know it won't sell that well and don't really care, they're just testing the waters.

http://venturebeat.com/2013/04/11/nvidias-project-shield-on-schedule-for-q2-release-but-details-scarce-video/

That's an interesting take on the situation. Normally, I'm of the mind that corporations don't like to throw away $10 let alone $10 million. Most large corps are so tight if you feed them coal they'd squeeze out a diamond. But, perhaps there is some truth to this idea of them "testing the waters" for v2.0.

I wouldn't bother with this. IOS7 will have the new controller APIs, so I think developers will support that a lot more than any android device. I love my android phone but I don't think it will ever touch iOS gaming.

iammeiam

I kind of can't believe it looks like that. The whole design looks like it fell out of the 90s.

Will buy for $99 just to boggle at.

Top Bottom