• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia Shield Thread

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
I don't understand the point of it. Why not just....play...on your PC?

Some people don't want to be hold up like a troll in front of the pc all day, they would rather ignore people like a troll while sitting on the couch ;)

Really only reason I would want one is Skyrim on the Crapper.

I would consider this if it had full or even most steam library support and worked with AMD.

Being it does neither im out.....Shame cause id enjoy playing a good portion of my library from bed hidden from the world. Oh well

The core gaming market is the 3DS market. The vita market is for the hardcore Sony fans. You seemed to mix the markets for the two handhelds.
I wouldn't call the kids I see with 3DS "core gamers". They are like Apple customers, in a category of their own. Vita is a core gaming machine.

Afrodium

Banned
Ever since the announcement I have been in awe of how disgusting this thing looks. It's like the slapped a screen on an Xbox Duke and called it a day. I can't imagine what someone looks like with this monstrosity in their pocket.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
I wouldn't call the kids I see with 3DS "core gamers". They are like Apple customers, in a category of their own. Vita is a core gaming machine.

What universe are you from? Everyone is playing Animal Crossing. Tons of people in the industry played FE:A. 3DS is a core gaming machine for sure.

Polari

Christ people how many times do we have to go over this? Nvidia doesn't care if it flops. It's a showcase for the brand and their Tegra technology. Earlier in the thread it was claimed they've only invested $10 million in it - I suspect it's more than that, but at $10 million it's worth it for the headlines generated alone.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Christ people how many times do we have to go over this? Nvidia doesn't care if it flops. It's a showcase for the brand and their Tegra technology. Earlier in the thread it was claimed they've only invested $10 million in it - I suspect it's more than that, but at $10 million it's worth it for the headlines generated alone.

What headlines?
No one has talked about this thing since it was announced.

I guess if words like "Nvidia" and "Flop" are what they want they'll get them soon.

RM8

I'm a big handheld enthusiast :D

And I don't care one bit about this. Lol, sorry. I own an Android phone and tablet, and a PS3 controller.

See, I want Nvidia's stock to go UP not DOWN. "Nvidia Shield flops" headlines are not going to improve their stock price.

Starviper

So it's basically remote play with PS4/Vita but for PC.. Huh. Pretty cool, but like others have said I wouldn't spend 300$ on it. I bought my Vita for 199$. That would be a proper price point for this sort of device.

If the game support widens, I'm totally in.

PC games cost basically nothing compared to handheld games, and being able to pick up where I left off with cloud saves and play the game in bed with this, or at my desk, or on my HTPC is pretty compelling.

And if emulators work through it too, being able to play PSX or PS2 games all nice and upscaled....

Skyzard

Banned
If they expand the supported games quite a lot and it plays well, I'll probably get one when I get my new pc sometime down the line.

TBH I really wish it just ran all the games.

The games that are supported seem decent but it's not quite enough for me.

It supports Half-Life 2, but no TF2 then?

Some more from Civ, Sim City, batmans, trackmanias, mirrors edge, zeno clash 2, payday 2, sonic generations, total war shogun 2, l4d2, saints row 4.

But I am interested, especially if I hear positive impressions about latency and that they'll continue to expand supported games for at least 4-5 years or made it possible for users to do it.

Polari

See, I want Nvidia's stock to go UP not DOWN. "Nvidia Shield flops" headlines are not going to improve their stock price.

Yeah because I'm sure investors see the Shield as a serious foray into the handheld gaming market.

Plus aren't they only selling it through their website? Good luck getting hold of those sales figures.

Not according to their site:

They only list 15 games on their site, most of which I've played or have no interest in. The Streaming PC Games feature is only in "Beta" at the launch of the device.

Supported games:
Bioshock Infinite
Borderlands 2
Dead Island: Riptide
Devil May Cry (DMC 5)
F1 2012
F1 Race Stars
Grand Theft Auto 4
Half-life 2
Metro: Last Light
Portal 2
Pressure
Resident Evil 6
Skyrim
Star Trek
Tomb Raider 2013

Hah, wow. This thing is dead in the water.

r3n4ud

Yeah because I'm sure investors see the Shield as a serious foray into the handheld gaming market.

Plus aren't they only selling it through their website? Good luck getting hold of those sales figures.

Newegg and Bestbuy as well as other vendors.

Skyzard

Banned
It looks great but, there's absolutely no need for me to get one.

Well, you get your pc in a controller.

None of the noise, glaring lights, uncomfortable position, clutter etc

It's a Vita but for PC. I'm interested of course but need to hear sweet talk about support for the system long-term in terms of game compatibility because that's all I'm interested in.

It launched while that aspect is in beta? :S

I just don't see the point of it. If you have to be tethered to your PC to stream in the first place, why don't you just play at your PC?

MrGerbils

I would rather buy a tablet or phone with the streaming technology built-in, and use a 360 controller.

You can do that right now with Splashtop 2. Works with andriod or iOS. It's the main reason I'm not interested in a Shield.

I love playing Far Cry 3 on my MacBook Air in bed, running in ultra streamed from my desktop PC, with an xbox 360 controller.

Nvidia is going to sell literally TENS of these things!

Sure it's kind of cool for the tech geeks (like myself) but who asked for this, aren't there enough handhelds, tablets, and smartphones on the market already?

Waikis

Hah, wow. This thing is dead in the water.

I played around with the reviewer unit a month or two ago. You can play any PC games on the shield as long as you add it to your steam.

I tried playing FTL on it and it "works". The lag was too unbearable for me and control/touch screen can be a bit iffy sometimes.

Well, you get your pc in a controller.

None of the noise, glaring lights, uncomfortable position, clutter etc

It's a Vita but for PC. I'm interested of course but need to hear sweet talk about support for this e system long-term in terms of game compatibility because that's all I'm interested in.

It launched while that aspect is in beta? :S

I though this played Android games, (by great, I meant design wise) that actually bumps it a little.

wizzbang

Banned
I don't mean to jeopardize my neogaf account or anger mods (I should probably read the rules) but this one occasion, I think the topic of this thread deserves a simple, one word response,......

"LOL"

ElFly

Oh man the streaming feature is not automagical? it has to be supported?

laaaaame laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaame

Geedorah

Not even at 50% off.

If it was PC quality experience anywhere, not just in my own network - we may have something to talk about.

Until then, nothx.

But will I be able to walk into a store and buy one?

I get the feeling that this is a sort of meme, but I'm not familiar with it :)

Anyway, I've had the chance to read some more reviews and most of them are really positive, I'm glad to see that Nvidia did a good job. Practically everyone is praising the build quality and the screen, so with that in mind the price becomes more reasonable. Also, the fact that you can play most controller-enabled Steam games even though they're not officially supported is good news.

If anyone from Nvidia is still reading this, here's a suggestion for future revisions of the hardware: try to make the screen detachable and usable on its own as a small android tablet. Would it be possible to stream Android from the base (the controller) to the (detachable) screen using the same streaming technology that you're using for PC streaming?

Top Bottom