• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia Shield Thread

sirap

Would really love to get my hands on this, but it's only available in the US/CANADA at the moment :( Sucks, cause I'm a big fan of portable gaming even inside the house..

mkenyon

Banned
It's a weird device, but once you wrap your head around its purpose, it's actually really neat.

The best part is that software and games are dependent upon it's sales success. No Vita-syndrome (I have one in my bag I take everywhere, I know the pain) of just waiting for new releases.

Totally niche though.

I'd be interested if they made a gutted version with no soc inside.

Something like wii U gamepad but with good screen and working with my gtx 770. And if it worked with whole my library.

For me its just to limited.

• Android has very few games with controller support and none made with controller support in mind as a priority as far as i know.
• You can play all the android games on a tablet already if you already have one and can even plug in a controller if you want.

Those 2 eliminate the need to buy it for the android side for a lot of people I would imagine.

Now for the streaming
• Currently limited support on games and in beta on release. People have said it will play other games so its a little confused as to the truth of how good it is.
• I assume the input lag will depend on your router and PC quality. I have an older gaming PC with ATI card (HD4870). If I wanted to use this I would have to buy a relatively high end gaming PC and an Nvidia card.

I have a similar issue with the splashtop software. It runs some stuff OK but nothing great. However I know it runs a lot better on Nvidia hardware PC's. However in that case it isn't splashtops fault as they have tried getting what they need from ATI with no success.

So there user base are PC enthusiasts which Nvidia cards who want to play away from the TV / monitor.

Im guessing that isn't a large pool of people.

I guess thats why it so expensive? kinda makes sense in a strange way, maybe expecting it to be very niche and therefore dont want to lose money on the hardware?

If it was more flexible with what hardware was needed and half the price then I would consider one. Maybe.

Kurdel

Banned
This thing is lucky if it only bombs as hard as the WiiU. Not sure what Nvidia was trying to prove here.

I've read that this project cost only 10 million, so it isn't the biggest investment in the world.

I am still on the fence. Playing my PC games in my bed sounds amazing...

MarkusRJR

I'm looking at getting one for emulation purposes plus android games. I'm also looking at getting a gaming PC over the next year so I could hopefully take advantage of the streaming then.

Li Kao

One console future would have ALL exclusives lol

Seriously though, what is the appeal of this product? I have no reason to get one, as everything on it has already been released else where. Like, literally, everything.

Mmh, not the point of the device. The shield is an expansion to your PC, not a new platform (well there is the android thing too but again not a new platform).
The shield is a, all things considered (hardware + video card) super pricey and super niche PC expansion. That you can't find an use for it is not unimaginable, but there is indeed an use for some people. I think for (a lot ?) of people using tablets or Wii U, the feel of being able to play games without being chained to a specific place is great. And that's the whole point of this thing. Streaming.

As for the beta status (maybe it has already been addressed, still have to read two thread pages), the thing is a bit sketchy. If the list is accurate, worthless, agreed. But maybe nvidia is treating the feature like it has handled the 3D function of games these past few years, making a list of fully tested and working games with the possibility that a lot more are compatible but not certified.

Personal opinion ? Liking the concept, but the cost of entry is too high for me. Without even mentioning that it doesn't strike me as a good time to upgrade my gpu.

kms_md

I just want to say that there are games outside of the supported beta that work, I think those are just the ones that have been though lots of testing.

When you stream, Steam Big pictures opens and you launch your games from there. You can launch Origin/other games by adding them to your Steam library. I've done that with BF3 and NFS personally.

I also did my Dark Souls SL1 run completely on Shield via Streaming. Made a post on /r/Darksouls where I answered a lot of general questions about Shield.

I do, obviously, work for NVIDIA. I'm not on the Shield team, marketing or social media but I lurk here all the time and figured I would throw in what I know about the product while there is some discussion.

do you have a link to the reddit post - i searched /r/Darksouls and could not find it. i am interested in how O&S played streamed (i happen to be there during my SL1 run).

Once the streaming thing is out of beta, and I upgrade to a 700/800 series card I'll consider it. Until then, it has zero relevance in my existence.

Intru

I'm interested in it, but mostly for emulation purposes.

My GPU is capable of streaming, but I don't know if my crap router (Netgear WNDR3400) can really handle streaming properly. The wi-fi signal range is pretty poor, I just powerline all the important things.

I have an AMD card in my laptop, even if I wanted to have this device I it's just not possible. Tbh, it has failure written all over it.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I love the idea of this thing. I have a nice PC in another room but the idea of going through my backlog on the couch in the living room sounds awesome - not $300 awesome, but not far off. But I need it to work really well, not just okay for the most part with certain games.

Darkangel

The hardware itself seems to be really good, its just that android gaming kind of sucks. I'm surprised they didn't make the screen rotatable or something to help with the portrait only apps.

I could see this becoming an amazing emulation device.

Minions

It streams any game if you have a 6xx+ gpu.

Edit:
Nvm, it is limited. Oh well, more games will support it eventually. A modified PCSX2 and dolphin build for shield would make it worth it.

Exactly how I feel. Unless I can stream anything I want from the PC, I don't have a use for this.

Talamius

This simply does not work as a handheld. Now, had they launched it as a Tegra 4 powered STB, it may have been the god king of all XBMC boxes. What could have been....

see5harp

I don't know how someone could buy this shitty looking thing that doesn't even work with every PC game for $300 and then complain about someone else buying a Wii U or XBOX One. I'd probably get more use out of a $100 android product from Walgreens.

iammeiam

One more review that is quite positive. So far I have to say, this thing got much better reviews than I was initially expecting.

It reminds me a lot of the Vita--a well made but pricey answer to a question few are asking. Solid construction, impressive tech specs, but very niche in target audience. Thread just needs a title proclaiming it simply the most desirable handheld ever to be complete.

SuperSah

Banned
40194754.jpg

I created this to celebrate such occasion.

It reminds me a lot of the Vita--a well made but pricey answer to a question few are asking. Solid construction, impressive tech specs, but very niche in target audience. Thread just needs a title proclaiming it simply the most desirable handheld ever to be complete.

True, however the Shield doesn't really need Vita numbers to succeed. Also it doesn't need people to develop specifically for it, both PC games through streaming and Adnroid games with gamepad controls will work.

sk3tch

I canceled my pre-order weeks ago - but now I'm tempted to run to MicroCenter today and pick one up. The PC streaming alone just looks so cool.

It will, of course, bomb...it's just a "live" proof of concept that will hopefully lead to companies asking NVIDIA to put Tegra 4 (or next iterations) in their devices. The Anandtech review is great proof of this - that's the last line in the review!!!

Shield is an impressive product. It's solid, performant, and maybe Android gaming isn't really there yet, but what it does leave me wanting is for NVIDIA to make me a phone.

NVIDIA spends what...$10-$20m on this and if they can boost Tegra 4 sales (and future SOC sales) that's a cheap win. Plus they can use this as a test vehicle for their game streaming and easily translate that to other Android-based devices with (compatible) controller add-ons...

dochuge

Picked this one up and its been shipped. I bought it mainly for emulation anyways, the controls look great for that. The android games are just icing on the cake.

The PC streaming looks sweet. I know it won't get mass appeal but I'll keep my eye on this cause I'm a lazy bastard and would love to play my PC games on the couch.

sk3tch

Damn, Newegg is out of stock.

That's who I wanted to get it from. Free shipping and no tax :(

Impressive! That's my other worry - that this device will sell out simply because NVIDIA did not plan on making that many and wasn't too worried about it being a sales success...could be a rare bird.

Brinbe

From the joystiq review
Many games not on Nvidia's official GeForce Experience list, however, can still be run via Steam's Big Picture mode. Games that were built for controllers, like Mirror's Edge and Alan Wake, ran swimmingly on the Shield, with little or no pre-configuration required before jumping right into the gam

Hmm... that's a little more encouraging. The comfortable "anywhere in the house" PC gaming has always been the killer app of this thing and if it isn't as restrictive as I thought, I'd definitely bite at a lower price. Especially since the emulation should be amazing on it.

It's definitely not for everyone, it's a luxury for PC enthusiasts that can afford it. And well, many can. They're already spending much more on their rigs as is.

Top Bottom