• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia Shield Thread

mkenyon

Banned
This device doesn't need to move lots of units.

You doomsayers are placing console/handheld launch criteria on this, when it isn't anything close to one of those.

The games are already there. Android and PC will continue to make games whether or not this sells well. It's not some lossleading/subsidized piece of equipment.

PaNDaSHaT

Neo Member
do you have a link to the reddit post - i searched /r/Darksouls and could not find it. i am interested in how O&S played streamed (i happen to be there during my SL1 run).

Here you go.

I found O&S to be easier than expected, I think I beat them on the 3rd or 4th try.

I used all my pyro on O, then lightning reinforced club +5 on S.

Manus however, beat me around for a full day. Good luck and praise the sun!

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
OK let me break it down and explain why I seriously and FULLY intend of getting an Nvidia Shield in the not too distant future:

A)I am *extremely* new to the whole smatphone scene. My dad found an HTC EVO 3D lying around and gave it to me no more than a couple weeks ago. This is the very first smartphone I have ever owned.

B)This HTC phone is pretty good but I simply cannot pair ANY physical gamepads to it unless it's rooted. Not going into detailed about what it takes to root this model phone, suffice it to say I'm not rooting it. End of story.

C)As a result of B, and discovering all the incredible Android games available on google play, but can't play them on this phone with a controller, frustration has ensued, and I want a kickass portable Android gaming device with a controller....ASAP!

E)I am a hardcore 2D retro gamer! I thrive off what's going on in the emulation scene and love playing old school 2D games. Seeing as how this Shield device is seemingly powerful enough to eat almost anything in MAME4Droid or RetroArch for breakfast, this is a no brainer purchase. The thought of having damn near the entire MAME catalog at my disposal on the go, gives me a serious hard-on.

F)I like niche products that offer something unique. No other smartphone or tablet comes with built in gamepad that from all accounts is rock solid!! I acknowledge that yes you *can* get a good handheld experience with a VITA or 3DS, but you can't run Android games and you can't run good emulators at full speed playing the more demanding games like Tekken 3, Mortal Kombat II, etc, like you can with the Shield. Plus the Vita in particular has practically NO games that interests me. On 3DS there's a few but that's it!

Given the above, the choice is clear, and I want one now!

To the haters in the thread....I kinda see where you guys are coming from, and understand why you wouldn't want this thing. It's because unlike me, you already have a decent smartphone and can already play your emulators and android games so why get a Shield?

Me on the other hand, I'm a n00b and I'm just getting my feet wet in smartphone gaming. So I figure why not go all out and get the best Android/portable emulator device there is?

Can't wait til I get mine :)

Billen

Banned
I've considered a Vita, but held off due to memory card prices. This ugly behemoth? Possibly for emu gaming, should the price drop $200 or so.

marvin83

Banned
OK let me break it down and explain why I seriously and FULLY intend of getting an Nvidia Shield in the not too distant future:

A)I am *extremely* new to the whole smatphone scene. My dad found an HTC EVO 3D lying around and gave it to me no more than a couple weeks ago. This is the very first smartphone I have ever owned.

B)This HTC phone is pretty good but I simply cannot pair ANY physical gamepads to it unless it's rooted. Not going into detailed about what it takes to root this model phone, suffice it to say I'm not rooting it. End of story.

C)As a result of B, and discovering all the incredible Android games available on google play, but can't play them on this phone with a controller, frustration has ensued, and I want a kickass portable Android gaming device with a controller....ASAP!

E)I am a hardcore 2D retro gamer! I thrive off what's going on in the emulation scene and love playing old school 2D games. Seeing as how this Shield device is seemingly powerful enough to eat almost anything in MAME4Droid or RetroArch for breakfast, this is a no brainer purchase. The thought of having damn near the entire MAME catalog at my disposal on the go, gives me a serious hard-on.

F)I like niche products that offer something unique. No other smartphone or tablet comes with built in gamepad that from all accounts is rock solid!! I acknowledge that yes you *can* get a good handheld experience with a VITA or 3DS, but you can't run Android games and you can't run good emulators at full speed playing the more demanding games like Tekken 3, Mortal Kombat II, etc, like you can with the Shield. Plus the Vita in particular has practically NO games that interests me. On 3DS there's a few but that's it!

Given the above, the choice is clear, and I want one now!

To the haters in the thread....I kinda see where you guys are coming from, and understand why you wouldn't want this thing. It's because unlike me, you already have a decent smartphone and can already play your emulators and android games so why get a Shield?

Me on the other hand, I'm a n00b and I'm just getting my feet wet in smartphone gaming. So I figure why not go all out and get the best Android/portable emulator device there is?

Can't wait til I get mine :)

I'm very noob with Android, but this may work for you? http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1313878

It says it's the official stock rom for 4.0.3 (Ice Cream Sandwich) with directions on how to install it. You should then be able to use PS360 controllers on it without having to root. Then just side-load (or buy?) emulators from the Google Play store. Again, not 100% sure this is a solution, but worth looking into and might save you $300.

Good luck.

ss_lemonade

Looking at some of those benchmarks, looks like the new snapdragon 800 + adreno 330 is able to keep up and trade blows. Looking good for my upcoming phone upgrade lol (Galaxy Note 3).

Is there a reason why Nvidia didn't go with a higher resolution screen? Could it have affected streaming quality or boost the price even higher?

I'm very noob with Android, but this may work for you? http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1313878

It says it's the official stock rom for 4.0.3 (Ice Cream Sandwich) with directions on how to install it. You should then be able to use PS360 controllers on it without having to root. Then just side-load (or buy?) emulators from the Google Play store. Again, not 100% sure this is a solution, but worth looking into and might save you $300.

Good luck.
You don't really need to buy when you have retroarch in the play store (which supports pads like the DS3 out of the box with proper key mapping)

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH

Good luck.

I appreciate the reply and suggestion man, but I've already done enough research and discovered that the HTC EVO 3D just doesn't pair well with BT controllers, and it doesn't even support controllers via OTG cable, even when rooted. It's a really good smartphone, but with terrible controller support.

If anyone knows of an easy One-Click solution to root a vanilla S-On HTC EVO 3D with the current 1.58 Hboot firmware, I'd be interested in reading it.

Li Kao

Yeah well, on the emu topic, my two cents (I know you were all waiting for it, oh you...)
Beyond the evident appeal of a relatively powerful emu handeld, another thing just popped to mind. Personal experience (yeah again, I know... ( ,^_^)
I tried some years ago to play through an old game. No archaeological dig but still a very old game, that was never a looker even when it released. I stopped playing after some sessions and came to a disturbing conclusion. I felt some sort of cognitive dissonance when playing a very old game on a modern rig. I mean here I was playing some early 90's game on a 30" full hd monitor, an x360 pad in my hands, something felt really odd.
And I really think the smaller screen of the Shields might help in that area.

Not a matter of graphical whorism, I completed the first 2 Ultima on Gog, just an hunch that when talking about old games, the experience might be nicer on a more reasonable screen size.

ss_lemonade

Yeah well, on the emu topic, my two cents (I know you were all waiting for it, oh you...)
Beyond the evident appeal of a relatively powerful emu handeld, another thing just popped to mind. Personal experience (yeah again, I know... ( ,^_^)
I tried some years ago to play through an old game. No archaeological dig but still a very old game, that was never a looker even when it released. I stopped playing after some sessions and came to a disturbing conclusion. I felt some sort of cognitive dissonance when playing a very old game on a modern rig. I mean here I was playing some early 90's game on a 30" full hd monitor, an x360 pad in my hands, something felt really odd.
And I really think the smaller screen of the Shields might help in that area.

Not a matter of graphical whorism, I completed the first 2 Ultima on Gog, just an hunch that when talking about old games, the experience might be nicer on a more reasonable screen size.
Maybe you just need the right filters and overlays to make it look authentic? Here are some examples from the retroarch thread

ibrYHQYtk5Lm9h.jpg

r3n4ud

Newegg Canada still hasn't shipped yet :/

Mind you, I preordered only a few days ago though. Still, hurrrrrry up!

sk3tch

Went and grabbed one from my local MicroCenter. So far, it's incredible from a hardware perspective...wow. Super solid and well-built. I haven't been able to get PC streaming working with either one of my PCs (thinking it's my AC network - I'm getting 2 bars because I'm on the other side of my house - still doing the initial charge on the Shield so hopefully it'll be good later)...so that is frustrating. Sonic is extremely impressive.

(click to enlarge)

EDIT: switched from my 5GHz network to a 2.4GHz network and now I have 3-4 bars - STILL unable to get any games working via streaming...haha. I've disabled my PCs firewall, connected/re-connected, etc. - I'm watching on my TV that my Shield is successfully launching and closing games based on commands I issue from the Shield but for some reason I can't get the games to connect so I can control them from the Shield. Not so great, so far!

EDIT2: I've even tried on two different PCs - 3930k/tri-SLI Titan and 2500k/780.

mkenyon

Banned
EDIT: switched from my 5GHz network to a 2.4GHz network and now I have 3-4 bars - STILL unable to get any games working via streaming...haha. I've disabled my PCs firewall, connected/re-connected, etc. - I'm watching on my TV that my Shield is successfully launching and closing games based on commands I issue from the Shield but for some reason I can't get the games to connect so I can control them from the Shield. Not so great, so far!

EDIT2: I've even tried on two different PCs - 3930k/tri-SLI Titan and 2500k/780.
It's auto rejecting because your PC's are too weak.

ss_lemonade

Went and grabbed one from my local MicroCenter. So far, it's incredible from a hardware perspective...wow. Super solid and well-built. I haven't been able to get PC streaming working with either one of my PCs (thinking it's my AC network - I'm getting 2 bars because I'm on the other side of my house - still doing the initial charge on the Shield so hopefully it'll be good later)...so that is frustrating. Sonic is extremely impressive.

(click to enlarge)

Lol that sucks. Screen looks smaller than I imagined, or is the controller just really big? Reminds me of the OG xbox controller

sk3tch

It's auto rejecting because your PC's are too weak.

lol...probably.

I guess you need to be within like 10 feet of your router in order for it to work? WTF..lol. This thing is a joke. Once it is done fully charging I am going to test it out in my bedroom (room with router is next door) and if I can't connect then I'm returning this bad boy. What a ridiculous limitation.

Right now I'm streaming some music on it - sound quality is insane. Really nice for such a small device. Man, they really nailed the hardware on this!

So far, it's incredible from a hardware perspective...wow. Super solid and well-built.

This is the best piece of news one could hope for regarding this product. It may look like something designed by Razer, but its not built like one.

Also, just release shadow play already.

sk3tch

So, just verified I'm on 100% battery - so initial full charge complete. Proceeded to move to about 10 feet away from my router - launched games - no go.

Tried:
Borderlands 2
Metro: LL
Bioshock Infinite

WHAT A JOKE. Hopefully you guys don't run into these issues. I can game all day and all night on my boxes otherwise. They launch just fine on the screen of the PC. The only thing the Shield can do is open/close them successfully. It's like an overpriced, booty, remote control, lol.

sk3tch

Nvidia has some setup guides on their Youtube channel, maybe take a look there and see if you're doing something wrong?

I went through all of the troubleshooting steps and followed the guides on the device itself. Everything works - just can't play the games on my device.

Trying NVIDIA's live chat...God help me.

EDIT: lol turns out I did not have NVIDIA Shield Update 50...when I checked the updates prior it said none available. This should fix it! I'll report back.

EDIT2: It's woooorking!! Man, this is great. I have my HTPC hooked up to my TV and I can literally play Borderlands 2 with the Shield as the controller while using the TV as the screen - the lag is that minimal!!! Sniping and all!

EDIT3: well, it has it's issues here and there. Not perfect. Hitches are surprisingly frequent. It's strange - moved closer to the router and it seems like things got a bit more hitchy.

Question! Can you stream ANY PC game or only a few nVidia selected games??! I want to play Euro Truck Sim and Dark Souls on this.

Unfortunately, right now, just a few. If it was anything and everything it would be a good out-of-the-box streaming device.

With the limited selection it's kind of unfortunate.

Answer is right above you.

Question! Can you stream ANY PC game or only a few nVidia selected games??! I want to play Euro Truck Sim and Dark Souls on this.

Only 15 have been thoroughly tested though a guy from Nvidia posted here and said he played through Dark Souls on Shield.

sk3tch

Answer is right above you.

Dark Souls works - look earlier in the thread. You're not limited to just the supported games, but those are the ones thoroughly tested and "Shield approved."

This isn't the device for a non-early adopter. It's a bit rough from a software perspective right now...but for day 1 it is not that bad.

Qassim

Unfortunately, right now, just a few. If it was anything and everything it would be a good out-of-the-box streaming device.

With the limited selection it's kind of unfortunate.

The Verge's review states they can get pretty much any game running when in Big Picture Mode that has controller support.

Absinthe

Used one for a while today, I'll be testing PC streaming tonight hopefully.

So far I'm impressed with the build quality of the device itself. The D-pad is ok, analogs are ok though, face buttons are just ok, and the triggers are good.

Screen looks great, very bright, good resolution. Games load quickly, and I did not experience noticeable lag when running multiple android games without closing them.

It's relatively heavy, and I would not want to lug it around in a bag.

Basically this is a decent couch device for people who like android games or would like to play their Steam library on their couch.

The Verge's review states they can get pretty much any game running when in Big Picture Mode that has controller support.

This is awesome.

This was more in line with what I want to know. As long as it is Big Picture supported, in theory any game will work. Would I be correct in that statement?

Cheebo

Banned
Wow. I just played around with one of these. From what I tested it flawlessly emulates PSX, N64, SNES, & GBA. Probably more systems as well. With the controller this thing is pretty much a beast at emulation.

Absinthe

Why is piracy through emulation so openly tolerated on this forum?

Not to get off topic, but why do you consider emulation piracy?

They own all the originals, of course. It's not piracy.

While I agree with you, this is a common misconception. Nintendo does a good job of explaining it here: http://www.nintendo.com/corp/legal.jsp

I will say that there are legitimate uses for emulation.

Back on topic. Does anyone know if the speed of your GPU affects the streaming lag at all?

mkenyon

Banned
Why is piracy through emulation so openly tolerated on this forum?
They own all the originals, of course. It's not piracy.

*edit*

Themoreyouknow.jpeg

I know very little about this subject, any more good links for reading? Not really interested in emulating, just about this subject matter.

Back on topic: Reviews seem unanimously positive.

Yes.

But *how well* it works is questionable.

It's kind of like SLI up until recent times.

I wonder if there could be a work around to allow all Steam games? I'm thinking something to the affect of jailbreaking. I'm closer to getting one now but may wait til early next year so they can get the bugs out

Tobor

Used one for a while today, I'll be testing PC streaming tonight hopefully.

So far I'm impressed with the build quality of the device itself. The D-pad is crap, analogs are ok though, face buttons are just ok, and the triggers are good.

Screen looks great, very bright, good resolution. Games load quickly, and I did not experience noticeable lag when running multiple android games without closing them.

It's relatively heavy, and I would not want to lug it around in a bag.

Basically this is a decent couch device for people who like android games or would like to play their Steam library on their couch.

This is awesome.

Really? With all the talk of emulation I figured the dpad must be alright.

Absinthe

Really? With all the talk of emulation I figured the dpad must be alright.

I was not impressed with the diagonal inputs. Maybe it was the game I tested, but it reminded me of the 360 d-pad which I've never been a fan of.

When I get some time I will use it more and maybe change my mind.

edit:

Just tried a few other games, and the d-pad is ok. Not great for fighting games (mainly FQCF, QCF was ok), but easily passable for most platformers..

Top Bottom