• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia Shield Thread

Has there been any movement on getting non-600 series GPUs to work with Shield? I have a GTX 570 and the limitation seems arbitrary. Not ready to upgrade yet. Not really in the market for a Shield right now, but was curious.

Does the "Shield Games" menu integrate Steam and Android games? I was confused because it looks like Steam's BPM and had The Conduit and thought, It was ported to PC, but remembered the Android port.

The main NVIDIA button in the center of the controller Brings up a menu with 3 tabs on top for (1) Shield Games, (2) Shield Store and (3) PC Games.

Anything bought through the Shield Store shows up under Shield games. The Shield store shows games that are under the Tegra zone or ones customized for Tegra processors (I believe). I'm not sure how they get classified this way because it's still bought through the Google Play store, not NVIDIA directly.

I bring this up because any game that is bought and is not in the "Tegra Store" do not show up under Shield games. Instead, there is the main standard Android home screens that these get put under. I have yet to figure out how to get these to show up under the Shield games tab.

Confused yet?

Addnan

Andy if you are reading. Why is this not coming to Europe? The more I read the more I want the option to be able to buy soon.

DirtyLarry

None of this matters - other than your wireless setup. So, yes, if your wireless router is far away from where you'd play with the Shield - then you may experience issues. Especially if your router is not in the "recommended" list - http://shield.nvidia.com/recommended-routers/. You could simply move your wireless router? Add an access point?

Honestly, if your Wi-Fi router can't do 5 GHz N then you may want to hold off a bit. I did 2.4 GHz N and the experience had some chop. 5 GHz N is a lot smoother.
Thanks, that is all I needed to know. I have an Asus RT-N66U. I took the time and spent the money to make sure all other aspects of my Network were capable, was not going to skimp on a router.

The router would probably be about 6 feet away from me where I would do the majority of my playing actually. So sounds like an ideal setup.

So sounds good. Once a price drop hits, I will be picking one up. I may even not wait if they announce more supported games.

Thanks again.

EDIT - Does it support Google Play Store as well?

sk3tch

Thanks, that is all I needed to know. I have an Asus RT-N66U. I took the time and spent the money to make sure all other aspects of my Network were capable, was not going to skimp on a router.

The router would probably be about 6 feet away from me where I would do the majority of my playing actually. So sounds like an ideal setup.

So sounds good. Once a price drop hits, I will be picking one up. I may even not wait if they announce more supported games.

Thanks again.

EDIT - Does it support Google Play Store as well?

No problem - and yes, Google Play is in there and it's the primary way to buy games/apps/etc.

r3n4ud

Any try or have an idea if the shield will work with an Asus RT-N56U?

Here's hoping, since it's the router I have :|

DirtyLarry

So my last question, as now I am seriously considering not waiting for a price drop and possibly picking one up, is the streaming from PC better the better your GPU? I am assuming it is, only makes sense to me, but just wanted to confirm. I have a 660Ti, so I am on the lower end of GPU's that are supported, so I am wondering if this will indeed have a detrimental impact on performance, or is it more a matter of if you have a supported GPU, it will more or less work.

Again, I am assuming it does matter, and the beefier your GPU, the better your overall experience, however part of me is hoping that is not the case.

If it is indeed a matter of the better your GPU the better your performance, has any site released any benchmarks showing what types of performance to expect based on individual cards? I know other factors like CPU, network would obviously come into play, but would be curious to see someone test multiple cards on the same environment if they do indeed make a difference.

Thanks again to all those taking the time to answer. I actually preordered one when they could be preordered, but I cancelled it after pondering it some more.

kms_md

i briefly played with my new shield earlier today. after several updates (driver update, steam update, geforce experience update, and system update on the shield), it worked as described. the games in my steam library that are supported appeared in the pc games list.

i, however, wanted to see how dark souls played. i was able to start it via the steam big picture mode on the shield. i did a quick run from undead asylum through the asylum demon. the controller is solid, but i think i will need to adjust the sensitivity a bit when playing via the shield. i plan on running this character solely via the shield. i recorded a brief video for YT (that is transcoding right now) via FRAPS. i will post the link when it is done.

overall i am impressed. i will try out GTA IV and tomb raider later tonight. the screen is vibrant and the colors do no appear to be washed out with respect to my monitor. the sound is good as well (but i will be using headphones primarily).

i will post later with other impressions.

Absinthe

So my last question, as now I am seriously considering not waiting for a price drop and possibly picking one up, is the streaming from PC better the better your GPU? I am assuming it is, only makes sense to me, but just wanted to confirm. I have a 660Ti, so I am on the lower end of GPU's that are supported, so I am wondering if this will indeed have a detrimental impact on performance, or is it more a matter of if you have a supported GPU, it will more or less work.

Again, I am assuming it does matter, and the beefier your GPU, the better your overall experience, however part of me is hoping that is not the case.

If it is indeed a matter of the better your GPU the better your performance, has any site released any benchmarks showing what types of performance to expect based on individual cards? I know other factors like CPU, network would obviously come into play, but would be curious to see someone test multiple cards on the same environment if they do indeed make a difference.

Thanks again to all those taking the time to answer. I actually preordered one when they could be preordered, but I cancelled it after pondering it some more.

Every game gets set to 720p before streaming so if your GPU can run on max settings at 1280x720 you should be fine.

MDSLKTR

Those positive impressions are not helping. Good thing I have a gt580 or else I would have preordered one live lol

sk3tch

Any try or have an idea if the shield will work with an Asus RT-N56U?

Here's hoping, since it's the router I have :|

It will work - it is just that it is not in the list of "recommended" routers. I wouldn't worry about it too much. That's no slouch of a router. I'd try it if I were you. If all else fails, I have an extra Netgear R6300 I'd let go to you for very cheap or do a trade + cash thing for your ASUS (I bought a 2nd trying to setup a mesh network here at home and it did not work out very well).

r3n4ud

It will work - it is just that it is not in the list of "recommended" routers. I wouldn't worry about it too much. That's no slouch of a router. I'd try it if I were you. If all else fails, I have an extra Netgear R6300 I'd let go to you for very cheap or do a trade + cash thing for your ASUS (I bought a 2nd trying to setup a mesh network here at home and it did not work out very well).

Sounds good sk3tch.

Now if only Newegg would ship my order...

therapist

Kinda want one, but if you do tv out through the HDMI , can you do 1080p or its really locked to 720p?

And is there any way to use a mouse + keyb on it if youre using tv out?

Id want to stream my main pc to my projector in living room , would be pretty cool if thats possible in 1080 , i have an asus rt n66u so im not worried about the streaming capabilities , simply wondering if its completely limited to 720p on the screen on the shiled only , or for tv out as well.

sk3tch

Kinda want one, but if you do tv out through the HDMI , can you do 1080p or its really locked to 720p?

And is there any way to use a mouse + keyb on it if youre using tv out?

Id want to stream my main pc to my projector in living room , would be pretty cool if thats possible in 1080 , i have an asus rt n66u so im not worried about the streaming capabilities , simply wondering if its completely limited to 720p on the screen on the shiled only , or for tv out as well.

Well, the system actually reconfigures itself to 720p while it streams to your Shield - so if you are in PC game streaming mode, then yes - it's going to be 720p. I am not sure if the device will do 1080p if you are in something like Netflix within Android...maybe someone else knows. I ordered a mini-HDMI to HDMI adapter so I will test it sometime in the next few days when it arrives.

beast786

Just got mine

lVs.jpg

Size comparison

sk3tch

Can't believe these things sold out! Pretty great news. I personally think it's a bargain at the $300 price now that I've been using it.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
plagiarize said:
halving the render time for each frame makes it easy to get to acceptable input lag times.
Obviously, but I'm not taking anything for granted here, and there's been conspicuous absence of any talk regarding this, even from tech sites like Anand, and talk about stuttering framerates isn't inspiring confidence either.
I'm already using a Wireless HDMI at home, which works flawlessly (but that doesn't go through a router, and sends uncompressed signals), so my expectations of what I want out of this are high as well :/

Kurdel

Banned
Just ordered this through the Nvidia website.

Best case scenario is awesome PC streaming in 6 months when it exits beta, worst case scenario is having a really powerful Android gaming device and a piece of history.

Living in Canada, I am really hoping that I will receive this thing soon...

dreamfall

So does is there a confirmed list of games this works with for Steam?

Like, if I wanted to run Assassin's Creed III - would the U-Play command interface mess around with it/not launch if I wanted to play it through Steam?

I want to kind of just impulse buy- but I must know!

Whoa- Skyrim & GTA IV? I might just...

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Honest, earnest question.

What makes the shield preferrable to something like this:

except with an Android phone/device?

I've currently got Splashtop set up with my Nexus 7 (It streams your desktop to your device and lets you control your PC. They also have specific versions designed for games that make things like Civ V extremely viable on the Android device) and have found the connection to actually be pretty stellar and I was able to play twitch games (I tested Super Puzzle Platformer Deluxe on it) pretty much flawlessly.

What are the immediate benefits of shield over this that would make it more worthwhile?

Zarx

Has there been any movement on getting non-600 series GPUs to work with Shield? I have a GTX 570 and the limitation seems arbitrary. Not ready to upgrade yet. Not really in the market for a Shield right now, but was curious.

The reason it's limited to Kepler is that Kepler GPUs have a h.264 encoder capable of encoding the frame-buffer to 720p video in real time without a big performance hit. So not really arbitrary.

King_Moc

Banned
Well, the system actually reconfigures itself to 720p while it streams to your Shield - so if you are in PC game streaming mode, then yes - it's going to be 720p. I am not sure if the device will do 1080p if you are in something like Netflix within Android...maybe someone else knows. I ordered a mini-HDMI to HDMI adapter so I will test it sometime in the next few days when it arrives.

Does this mean there's no way of downsampling from 1080p on the pc before the image is sent over? That's a shame.

I guess there's no way to order this to europe from america?

Honest, earnest question.

What makes the shield preferrable to something like this:

except with an Android phone/device?

I've currently got Splashtop set up with my Nexus 7 (It streams your desktop to your device and lets you control your PC. They also have specific versions designed for games that make things like Civ V extremely viable on the Android device) and have found the connection to actually be pretty stellar and I was able to play twitch games (I tested Super Puzzle Platformer Deluxe on it) pretty much flawlessly.

What are the immediate benefits of shield over this that would make it more worthwhile?

I downloaded splashtop yesterday for my ipad, the problem is I can't use the native res of the ipad cause it doesn't do full screen.

TheD

The Detective
Initial Impression

GLDOOM - Good controls, and the right analog even controls up down view, but is inverted. Everything is mapped well, but on screen controls stay up while playing.

I have always wondered, do you get the source code to that "DOOMGLES" program when you buy it?

Ricker

I always find it funny when something too expensive sells out on launch day...nice to read positive experiences also.

I always find it funny when something too expensive sells out on launch day...nice to read positive experiences also.

The appropriate price is relative to features and demand. If a product is desired and is selling out at a specific price then obviously it was priced correctly. Take the WiiU for example, when it launched it wasn't considered expensive yet now, with virtually no demand, noone will touch it at the current price.

The Shield is out of the price range that I would be willing to pay for the offered features but obviously it's not for others. As a niche device targeted at people with gaming PCs it seems to be something of a hit at the moment, although we should wait for an official Nvidia announcement before drawing any conclusions.

Did anyone try PPSSPP on it?

Had a chance to try it out last night with with 2 versions - off android store and the 2nd directly from the latest dev build from ppsspp.org.

Initially without any settings, it's a slug fest of molasses badness - frigging slow. Of course with any emu, it's the setting that go from 1fps to something more decent.

Played around and with some option tweaks and frameskip of around 2 - 3, ridge racer is freaking playable as heck! There are very few graphic anomalies and I am able to play the game just fine! The only issue with the Play store version is the lack of customization for the controls.

With the latest dev build though, there are far more options and I am able to customize any key to almost any button on the Shield.

Very impressed and now need to go find the corresponding games for the PSP ones I actually own. I'll try to grab a video of performance if anyone is interested.

DirtyLarry

Every game gets set to 720p before streaming so if your GPU can run on max settings at 1280x720 you should be fine.
perfect. Thanks for the response.
I will order one once they are back in stock I believe.
My problem is I like stuff. Things are cool too. Especially when said stuff and things are gadgets related to gaming.

Momentary

Banned
I'm definitely getting one now after seeing all the positive reviews for it. It will be so nice to play my PC games in the living room while my wife watches her shows... and when I'm sitting on the toilet.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Had a chance to try it out last night with with 2 versions - off android store and the 2nd directly from the latest dev build from ppsspp.org.

Initially without any settings, it's a slug fest of molasses badness - frigging slow. Of course with any emu, it's the setting that go from 1fps to something more decent.

Played around and with some option tweaks and frameskip of around 2 - 3, ridge racer is freaking playable as heck! There are very few graphic anomalies and I am able to play the game just fine! The only issue with the Play store version is the lack of customization for the controls.

With the latest dev build though, there are far more options and I am able to customize any key to almost any button on the Shield.

Very impressed and now need to go find the corresponding games for the PSP ones I actually own. I'll try to grab a video of performance if anyone is interested.

And to think....I scouring the PPSSPP forum for days now, just to find ANYONE with impressions of the Shield, and not even the devs seem to have one. Yet, here you come to the rescue, with impressions of how my FAVORITE PSP game in the world runs on the Shield. Where is the :bow: emoticon when you need it? ;)

Anyway thanks for the good impressions man. When you talk about RR PSP can you define "freaking playable as heck"...? I mean, are we talking 60fps here or more like 30? Also, can you try Disgaea and any other RPG you can think of?

Bacon

I don't understand why you wouldn't just play these games on your pc? If you went through all the trouble to build a nice pc why would you willingly play the games on a lesser piece of hardware when your pc is ostensibly a max of 100 feet away from you?

drspeedy

Keep the reviews coming, guys!

Somewhat amazed to see how well done this is- looks like Nvidia has a better chance than we thought. Still not sure I'm in at $299, but I'm already in love with the thing. Need to play one...

Top Bottom