• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NVidia's Founder's Edition BS and how they just flat out lied

rrs

who couldn't see this happening with a very large thirst for the cheaper 10xx cards, overpriced reference cards with ok heatsinks aren't going to get the attention of most upgraders

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
16 years I've been buying Nvidia cards and this is the first time I've chosen not to upgrade due to the shit they pulled this gen with the Reference....sorry, Founders Edition cards, they claim they have to raise the price of FE (reference) cards higher than they used to in order to keep them on the market long term but I honestly don't believe that when AIB partners are producing better quality cards at a lessor price.

Nvidia was so clever/devious releasing the Titan at the price they did, it allowed them to ramp up prices of proceeding cards and everyone think they were still worth it because "wow it's as fast as the thousand dollar Titan!!, it must be a bargain", think back to the recent conference, "This card is faster than a Titan, this card is faster than a Titan, this card is faster than a Titan........", it was like listening to a market stall holder flogging kitchen knives out of a suitcase. And then they proceed to tell you that what used to be their basic reference model is now a special FE card made out of premium materials and a $100 price hike, fuck off nvidia.

Just watch the video Boss★Moogle posted on the previous page, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNCfn4y8dBw , if you was buying a new car from these people honestly would you trust them?

I can't wait to see how the AMD fans react when the 480 comes out and it's being price gouged for $100 over the $200 MSRP. I hope to see you posting another rant about AMD when that day comes in a couple weeks, OP.

P.S. I paid less than the Founder Edition price for my custom 1080

16 years I've been buying Nvidia cards and this is the first time I've chosen not to upgrade due to the shit they pulled this gen with the Reference....sorry, Founders Edition cards, they claim they have to raise the price of FE (reference) cards higher than they used to in order to keep them on the market long term but I honestly don't believe that when AIB partners are producing better quality cards at a lessor price.

Nvidia was so clever/devious releasing the Titan at the price they did, it allowed them to ramp up prices of proceeding cards and everyone think they were still worth it because "wow it's as fast as the thousand dollar Titan!!, it must be a bargain", think back to the recent conference, "This card is faster than a Titan, this card is faster than a Titan, this card is faster than a Titan........", it was like listening to a market stall holder flogging kitchen knives out of a suitcase. And then they proceed to tell you that what used to be their basic reference model is now a special FE card made out of premium materials and a $100 price hike, fuck off nvidia.

Just watch the video Boss★Moogle posted on the previous page, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNCfn4y8dBw , if you was buying a new car from these people honestly would you trust them?

Just love that video, I think I rolled my eyes and shook my head for 12 minutes straight.

Biltmore

Banned
Other than the limited stock I'm not seeing the issue. Evga already has their base model 1080 listed at $609, as do others, how is that not cheaper than the FE? And how did Nvidia lie? Wait a month and you'll be able to get the card you want with no problem.

Other than the limited stock I'm not seeing the issue. Evga already has their base model 1080 listed at $609, as do others, how is that not cheaper than the FE? And how did Nvidia lie? Wait a month and you'll be able to get the card you want with no problem.

This is what I'm doing, I'll wait it out for a while until prices start to settle and non-FE cards are readily available in the market. I'm always tempted to switch to Team Red, but can't because AMD cards always seem to have issues with drivers and recent games coming out.

jrcbandit

Isn't it the 1070 series that is mostly the big clusterfuck? The 1080 FE is $700 while the vast majority of aftermarket cards are less than that. Many cost around $630-650 with a decent overclock, and the cards with additional power phases/voltage adjustments are around $670-680. This pricing doesn't seem too bad compared to aftermarket 980s at launch (I think they cost around $600-650ish with reference cards at $550).

It is the 1070 series that is completely out of whack with the FE acting as the floor pricing. I think Nvidia could lose allot of business to AMD if they don't lower the pricing of the 1070 by $100 in the fall - Nvidia will still sell out of $430-480ish 1070s this summer from gaming enthusiasts, but the more casual gaming audience wont be stretching their wallets to get $450 1070s. It is just a mindset of people who normally spend $200 on a video card - they might be willing to stretch their budget by an extra $100-130 since the 970 was such a good deal at $330 but I think stretching the budget by an extra $250 for the 1070 is way too much for the more casual gaming crowd.

Renekton

I can't wait to see how the AMD fans react when the 480 comes out and it's being price gouged for $100 over the $200 MSRP. I hope to see you posting another rant about AMD when that day comes in a couple weeks, OP.

P.S. I paid less than the Founder Edition price for my custom 1080
AMD cards will definitely get price-gouged by retailers and distributors, but there is no Founder's Edition.

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
And yet their products are selling like hotcakes.

In Australia, some shops are selling GTX1080s for $1400AU and people are still buying them. I just shake my head when there are cards that are as expensive as building an entire system.

Isn't it the 1070 series that is mostly the big clusterfuck? The 1080 FE is $700 while the vast majority of aftermarket cards are less than that. Many cost around $630-650 with a decent overclock, and the cards with additional power phases/voltage adjustments are around $670-680. This pricing doesn't seem too bad compared to aftermarket 980s at launch (I think they cost around $600-650ish with reference cards at $550).

It is the 1070 series that is completely out of whack with the FE acting as the floor pricing. I think Nvidia could lose allot of business to AMD if they don't lower the pricing of the 1070 by $100 in the fall - Nvidia will still sell out of $430-480ish 1070s this summer from gaming enthusiasts, but the more casual gaming audience wont be stretching their wallets to get $450 1070s. It is just a mindset of people who normally spend $200 on a video card - they might be willing to stretch their budget by an extra $100-130 since the 970 was such a good deal at $330 but I think stretching the budget by an extra $250 for the 1070 is way too much for the more casual gaming crowd.

The current pricing is because manufacturers and retailers are taking advantage of the demand, nothing more or less than that. The 1080s, already being very expensive, don't have much room to move on price gouging compared to the 1070s and that's why we're seeing such ridiculous pricing on 1070s.

Of course in a month there will be plenty of 1070s to go around for $380 and nobody will even look at a Founders Edition or care what it's price is. This whole thing is just a propaganda play from the AMD camp ahead of the soon-to-be-clusterfucky 480 launch and it's kind of sad how easily people get suckered by this whole 'Nvidia is EVIL, AMD is GOOD' comic book storyline when both are multinational corporations who only care about profits.

Once demand slows their prices will fall back down to MSRP or lower. In the meantime they are selling every single card that's produced in minutes. This whole thread is a whole lotta whining about nothing.

badb0y

The current pricing is because manufacturers and retailers are taking advantage of the demand, nothing more or less than that. The 1080s, already being very expensive, don't have much room to move on price gouging compared to the 1070s and that's why we're seeing such ridiculous pricing on 1070s.

Of course in a month there will be plenty of 1070s to go around for $380 and nobody will even look at a Founders Edition or care what it's price is. This whole thing is just a propaganda play from the AMD camp ahead of the soon-to-be-clusterfucky 480 launch and it's kind of sad how easily people get suckered by this whole 'Nvidia is EVIL, AMD is GOOD' comic book storyline when both are multinational corporations who only care about profits.
The bottom line is this is the most expensive x70 and x80 cards. Stop pussy-footing around the issue.

The bottom line is this is the most expensive x70 and x80 cards. Stop pussy-footing around the issue.

The bottom line is they are still selling out, so it's clear that this price is what the market will bear. If AMD had something of similar performance they would price it the same (and they have in the past), it just happens that right now they don't.

trembli0s

The bottom line is demand far outstrips supply. AMD isn't going to walk through with a comparable card any time in the next few months either. They really dropped the ball.

Meanwhile, NVIDIA is going to milk those margins until supply can catch up with demand, as will the AIBs

Renekton

The bottom line is demand far outstrips supply. AMD isn't going to walk through with a comparable card any time in the next few months either. They really dropped the ball.

Meanwhile, NVIDIA is going to milk those margins until supply can catch up with demand, as will the AIBs
Ya the demand for 1070 and 1080 is crazy high. Nvidia struck gold again and owns the segment for at least half a year.

nubbe

Buy AMD if you want value for your money, definitely don't buy the 1080
480 will probably be the value king

9LaOb7k.png

badb0y

The bottom line is they are still selling out, so it's clear that this price is what the market will bear. If AMD had something of similar performance they would price it the same (and they have in the past), it just happens that right now they don't.
Don't matter. I have yet to see a card sold at MSRP of $379.99 and $599.99 respectively. The GTX 1070 especially has fucked up pricing.

That's debatable. They are launching a new card on June 29th at the $199 price bracket where these companies move the most volume.

Zaptruder

Banned
It'd be foolish to not charge what the market is willing to bear.

If they're not selling at the rate that they need, then they'll drop the price.

But as long as goddamn cashed up suckers are paying, why would you possibly do anything but gouge your willing customers?

I mean fuck... there are companies that keep up demand by charging more money.

If it's not worth it to you, don't buy it! Simple!

Personally I hope that VR as a whole targets the RX480 and subsequent line as the defacto target standard for VR.

Better than a 970, around a 980, but at $199 USD... well, that's going to help push the VR market right open.

It's a really great target point - roughly around the power range of a PS4Neo and Xbox Scorpio... you maximize compatibility for all the big headsets out there.

The 1080s, 1080tis... well, that can stay the niche of people that demand 60-120fps 1400p 21:9 or 4k gaming. If they're willing to shell out for the monitors, then they've got enough cash for the graphics cards that can power them.

Also, hopefully the big engines will start supporting Multi-GPU DX12 and make it easy for consumers to use 2 cheaper GFX cards than one big expensive one from Nvidia.

Otherwise... we get what we deserve as gamers. Listen to FUD (that shit about AMD driver quality has been an oft repeated line among gamers for years even after the reality changed), ignore the viability of the other sole competitor - the natural result is a virtual monopoly where they squeeze us as hard as we're willing to bear.

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right

AMD are releasing a card that competes with a GTX980 for $200 and you think they dropped the ball? Come off it.

Papacheeks

Banned
Yeah, they set the price high, the AIBs wanted in on that as well. They've effectively set a new pricing. Then you have AMD/ATI partially at blame here making low end cards allowing Nvidia to do whatever they want. I have a 1080 now and luckily I got one from Best Buy and had rewards for it so that was ok, but I was wanting a 1080Ti. Now though because of this, I'm suspecting those cards are going to be expensive, crazy expensive.

Rx 480 is not low end. If anything it gives people great performance for great value when it beats out a 980 gtx and r9 nano for $199-240$. Plus 490, 490x are on there way come this fall plus first hbm2 cards whuch AMD has first dibs on.

It's nvidia fault for making the 970 nurfed with only 3.5gb usable. And having. Rebranded 290x beat out a 450$ gtx 980 for a 50$ or cheaper price.

ethomaz

Banned
AMD are releasing a card that competes with a GTX980 for $200 and you think they dropped the ball? Come off it.
Key word comparable.

The subject of the thread is the 1070/1070 FE at high prices and his reply is right... AMD left the market to nVidia do what they want.

Best case scenario is AND releasing something in the last quarter of the year or first quarter of next year.

Iorv3th

Rx 480 is not low end. If anything it gives people great performance for great value when it beats out a 980 gtx and r9 nano for $199-240$. Plus 490, 490x are on there way come this fall plus first hbm2 cards whuch AMD has first dibs on.

It's nvidia fault for making the 970 nurfed with only 3.5gb usable. And having. Rebranded 290x beat out a 450$ gtx 980 for a 50$ or cheaper price.

Do you have a link to any benchmarks? Only seen a leaked 3dmark benchmark and it has the 480 below the 980.

RedSwirl

Price is driven by demand on the non FE cards.

Nvidia used the FE cards to cash in on the on the initial demand/price increase. The 970 had an MSRP of $330, but was selling for $400 dollars at release due to demand. All those excess profits went to retailers and not NVidia. So this time NVidia decided to take a cut of those MSRP+ profits. I can't say I blame them. The 1080/1070 remain sold out so mission accomplished.

To beat the scalpers, Nvidia became the scalpers. What surprised people is that the AIBs also became the scalpers.

But from what I can tell it's still hard to guess when demand will get down to a point where cards are sold at the actual MSRP. My problem is that my time limit for getting a 1070 (or 480 if things get really bad) is when Deus Ex comes out in August. I haven't even bought DOOM yet because that damn thing crushes my 760.

Biltmore

Banned
Don't matter. I have yet to see a card sold at MSRP of $379.99 and $599.99 respectively. The GTX 1070 especially has fucked up pricing.

That's debatable. They are launching a new card on June 29th at the $199 price bracket where these companies move the most volume.

Like I said before, there are already aftermarket cards selling for $609, you guys sure are hung up on $10.

And at this point the 480 is nothing but speculation. The fact that they've been hiding its performance doesn't exactly instill confidence. Furthermore, even if it is as advertised is has zero impact on these cards where Nvidia will go untouched until sometime next year. Blame AMD for sucking so hard, there wouldn't be nearly the demand for the 10 series if they had their act together.

Buy AMD if you want value for your money, definitely don't buy the 1080
480 will probably be the value king

Although it is likely true, more powerful cards are usually trumped by cheaper cards on a price performance ratio. And the cards compared there are a whole lot more powerful than the ones surrounding them.

I still hold my doubts on the 480, price and performance might be great but I am scared there won't be consistent frametimes. AMD can have loads of issues with that.

Spinifex

Like I said before, there are already aftermarket cards selling for $609, you guys sure are hung up on $10.

And at this point the 480 is nothing but speculation. The fact that they've been hiding its performance doesn't exactly instill confidence. Furthermore, even if it is as advertised is has zero impact on these cards where Nvidia will go untouched until sometime next year. Blame AMD for sucking so hard, there wouldn't be nearly the demand for the 10 series if they had their act together.

AMD aren't even in a bad enough position to be considered underdogs. They're lower than underdogs. They're the fleas on underdogs. But you're telling me it's AMD's fault that nVidia fuck over consumers?

We can think its a shady practice and be mad at them if we want to, but those Founder's Edition cards sold like fucking hotcakes. So that's that.

The 1070 is great value at its MSRP, not so much at the prices they're currently being sold at.
If the prices don't drop I'll just pick up an 8gb 480, I'm not that desperate.

wbEMX

And I thought the non-reference 1070s being much more expensive than the MSRP was only a european problem.

You don't get a 1070 in Germany for under 480 €, which is $540, and we're talking about the lower quality boards here. The good ones from MSI/ASUS/EVGA cost about 530 €, which is $596. That is more than what the 980 cost at launch, at least for US standards.

And that is fucking bullshit. Thanks for nothing, NVIDIA.

Caayn

Prices are especially bad here. The 1070 has a MSRP of $370 (without tax). The cheapest one you can find here is around €500(with tax) that's $562.

Fuck off NV.

cripterion

Yeah. This bs is making me consider putting off my upgrade in favour of spending the money elsewhere. The "value" 1070 is too expensive, and the 1080 is in Ti model territory. I really hope this end up biting Nvidia in the ass, because I can't help but feel that they're pricing out the average PC gamer with these antics. Especially outside of the US.

It won't bite them in the ass, people are rushing to buy these cards as we speak. Nvidia knows they can get away with it, they don't give a fuck.

Papacheeks

Banned
Do you have a link to any benchmarks? Only seen a leaked 3dmark benchmark and it has the 480 below the 980.

All iv seen us from a site that may be banned.

Site

Graph

AMD-RX-480-Benchmark-GTX-Titan-X-R9-Fury-X-R9-Nano-GTX-980-R9-390.jpg

UPDATE:

Youtuber video about said leaks on performance, dont know how reputable he is though?

UPDATE 2: Reddit thread that has a leaked footage of firestrike benchmark running on rx 480.

Breads

Banned
The 1070 is great value at it's MSRP, not so much at the prices they're currently being sold at.

If the prices don't drop I'll just pick up an 8gb 480, I'm not that desperate.

This is my plan. If Nvidia doesn't want to sell me what they told me they are going to sell me for how much they said I should buy it then I simply won't buy it.

:e: I'll get the AMD instead.

Top Bottom