• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NVidia's Founder's Edition BS and how they just flat out lied

Customers have to stand up for themselves, but we're talking about the most exciting purchase of a computer, and people won't. I'm waiting, and I have a 570 that wants to be upgraded pretty badly.

Engell

Don't buy the founders / reference design
Early customers will always pay extra.. this is nothing new

f26.jpg

Unless you absolutely need it, for some insane reason

Nvidia don't commission price points on AIB custom graphics cards, that's entirely down to the manufacturers.

They legitimised the use of inferior reference designs as a mark-up product (which is super gross), but board manufacturers are the ones pulling the strings here. Here's how the whole situation may have been avoided: AMD could have not planned to arrive a whole year late to the party at the high end yet a-bloody-gain and actually release a 490 along with a 480. Quite simple, really, but GloFo is such a mess that they couldn't do that anyway.

Yeah, I think I'm gonna stick with my 980ti for couple more years. This is a problem of monopoly. We don't really have a choice for a high-end cards.

wbEMX

I paid 350 € for the ASUS 970 STRIX at launch and that price didn't go down in the entire product lifetime. I'm concerned that the 500-530 € price range will stay.

Engell

I paid 350 € for the ASUS 970 STRIX at launch and that price didn't go down in the entire product lifetime. I'm concerned that the 500-530 € price range will stay.

well it will if people buy it at that price, if they don't price will fall.. but i hope the new AMD card will help the price come down

Aurongel

NVIDIA is testing the waters with these FE cards to see just how much cash hardcore nerds are willing to shelve out. If people weren't eating these up at a rapid pace then we'd probably be seeing a whole lot less price creep in the future. You can almost bet that the starting price for their next-next gen cards will start at what the FE's are currently.

Otherwise if sales are slow they can just backtrack and "lower the price like they were always going to!"

As far as I'm concerned, the popularity of upmarket cards like the Titans are to blame for these recent price creeps. NVIDIA is just trying to split that difference and make it the new normal.

Renekton

Here's how the whole situation may have been avoided: AMD could have not planned to arrive a whole year late to the party at the high end yet a-bloody-gain and actually release a 490 along with a 480. Quite simple, really, but GloFo is such a mess that they couldn't do that anyway.
Vega was rumored to be on TSMC, not GF.

Par Score

Nvidia can charge whatever the hell they like because they have no competition.

It sucks, and it's the sort of thing that should probably be looked at by regulators, but unless AMD stop stinking out the room it's going to continue.

Nvidia has enjoyed predatory pricing for two or more generations now. I wouldn't expect it change until they have stiff competition across the enthusiast spectrum.

That's why I'm still running a 660. That's why I'll be upgrading to an RX 480 if it comes even close to living up to the hype.

LoL that 970 sure was predatory pricing when it released for 330$ undercutting every gpu in 400-1000$ range

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
After the whole 970 thing I really don't trust Nvidia any more so I'd never buy another card from them early on, I'd have to wait until it's fully tested by tech sites to make sure there's no bad surprises.

Zafir

It's even worse in Europe thanks to the inflated price.

It's put me off upgrading. I was going to go for a 1070 or 1080 but the prices for both are just too much for my blood. I'll stick with the 970 which is still going strong.

Unless you absolutely need it, for some insane reason
That's not what's being argued. The issue is the non-FE versions aren't even much cheaper. In the UK you're looking at like a 20 quid saving on the 1070 by waiting and getting a non -FE one. Not much at all.

Apt101

I'm still waiting on benchmarks between that 480 and the 1070. $449 is a high cost to eat for something that on paper looks about as good as a $250 product from the competition. I have a 970 anyways, no rush.

Oxn

Ive been saying it for the past month. But anyone who buys a 1080, deserves it.

Whether thats a good or bad thing, depends on each individual person.

With that said, I think the $600 is still also too much, so yea another 100 on top is a no go.

Also, anyone expecting the next Titan to MSRP at 1000 or 1100 is crazy.

OneUh8

Supply and demand. Low supply with a high demand, the manufactures can charge what they are asking. I am to assume in a month or two you should start seeing some cards at the msrp. You will still see more exotic and OC custom cards above that price point.

Yeah, I think I'm gonna stick with my 980ti for couple more years. This is a problem of monopoly. We don't really have a choice for a high-end cards.
Same here. The increase from my 980ti is not enough to justify $599. Ill wait until prices drop or something else comes out.

Theonik

This is what I was expecting to happen since the FE bollocks was announced. Nvidia effectively raised the price by $70-100

ocean

Banned
Price points are determined by consumers. Why on earth would companies sell a card for US$500 if they can get people to pay US$600 for it.

I mean why would you even expect them to. Rising GPU price points indicate a growing willingness from consumers to pay a premium. There's no "FE pie". There's a business reality: some people are willing to pay more than others. If I start off with a low price, I'll leave money on the table from people who would have paid more.

So I start off big and clean up with the audience who values my product the most. Once they're done buying, I lower my price and pick up the next group. And so on and so on, until I've captured everybody in my audience who values my product enough for me to profitably sell it to them, having charged everyone close to that sweet "as much as they're willing to pay". The vast majority of products do this one way or another. It can be concealed as a "Summer Sale" or a "Flash Sale" or just gradual price drops over time but it's not actually different.

There is nothing wrong with this. A company which *doesn't* try to price-discriminate is just plain irresponsible - the single responsibility a company's management has is making its owners as much money as possible. That's literally their only job.

Kyonashi

I don't normally follow any of this stuff, I haven't bought a card since my Radeon 7870HD Core Edition a while ago. The GTX1070 seemed really interesting to me - will I be able to get it at the original reasonable price point at any stage? Or is it gonna be like, a year before we see that price?

Helznicht

Wow, after the 480 releases and the market stabilizes, there is going to be a HUGE price gap between low and high end cards it seems.

Bad thing about this long drawn out FE edition, even more limited supply and delays of AIB cards is selling your old card to fund a new one requires a longer wait or less money to put towards a new card if you wait for some actual stock and sensible pricing. I'm used to a bit price gouging early on but it's been ridiculous.

the other problem is over the past 4 weeks is the shit ton of 970/980/980ti still in stock. I'm used to seeing a handful left and then they're gone.

It doesn't look like I can sell my 970 and upgrade like before so I'm stuck. Then we have this 480 coming to further crap on used 970/980 prices

Nzyme32

This is how MSRP works - it is recommended. Basically, the people buying are making it so retailers maintain that price, and indeed nvidia founder cards are part of the reason the higher price is being chased successfully. Competition will eventually drive it down towards the MSRP. It's easy for me, I stay away from products stuck in hype till they can be bought at a better price.

Sulik2

Nvidia made a brilliant business decision. Supply is constrained at launch, resellers always make a killing marking up above MSRP so Nvidia figure out a way to sell above MSRP themselves with clever marketing. I appreciate the busy savvy, but it sucks for the customers.

s_mirage

It won't bite them in the ass, people are rushing to buy these cards as we speak. Nvidia knows they can get away with it, they don't give a fuck.

We have no idea how many are actually selling without knowing how many are available in the first place, or how well they'll do when there's more availability. I'm sorry, but I see anyone buying the FE cards as having more money than sense, and someone who has to have the latest and greatest right now. These people do not reflect the larger market, and it's that market that Nvidia will need to keep hold of, especially with the 1070.

People wiling to blow huge amounts of money every year on upgrades may not see it, but continual price gouging on hardware has the potential to hurt not only the mass market for graphics cards, but the PC gaming market in general. There's already a perception that PC gaming has too high a barrier to entry, which puts some people off entering the market, and it would be a shame if that perception becomes reality.

trembli0s

We have no idea how many are actually selling without knowing how many are available in the first place, or how well they'll do when there's more availability. I'm sorry, but I see anyone buying the FE cards as having more money than sense, and someone who has to have the latest and greatest right now. These people do not reflect the larger market, and it's that market that Nvidia will need to keep hold of, especially with the 1070.

People wiling to blow huge amounts of money every year on upgrades may not see it, but continual price gouging on hardware has the potential to hurt not only the mass market for graphics cards, but the PC gaming market in general. There's already a perception that PC gaming has too high a barrier to entry, which puts some people off entering the market, and it would be a shame if that perception becomes reality.

So... basically the basis of Apple, Tesla, etc. Nothing wrong with that.

dr_rus

Wow, after the 480 releases and the market stabilizes, there is going to be a HUGE price gap between low and high end cards it seems.

Why? 480 will be at $200-300, depending on a model / VRAM size. 1070 is $400-500, 1080 is 600-800. I don't see any huge price gaps.

cripterion

Oh no doubt I agree. I'm just scared of what the 1080Ti might cost if things continue to go down this way.

Nvidia gave us a bogus MSRP, and reviewers just ate it up and reviewed their cards like they were $599/379. Shame on them for believing it.

The reality is that enough people are willing to spend what Nvidia and the AIBs are asking for the cards, but it certainly hasn't gone unnoticed that the prices are at extortionist levels currently. 1070 won't be reaching 970 levels of sales at this rate - far from it. AMD does have a good opportunity here to capture the sub $300 market, and the eventual 1060 won't shake up that market in any way. Nvidia will most likely price it slightly higher and just trust that the sheep will flock to it like they always do.

thenameDS

I was planning on getting the G1 Gaming 1070 but at £430 I cannot justify it. Unfortunately the RX 480 would be a sidestep from my current 970, so I'm stuck waiting for a price drop or a RX 490. Granted I do already have a great 1080p graphic card to hold me over until then.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
1070s in europe are priced similarly to 980tis.
Why would you even...

Top Bottom