• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NVidia's Founder's Edition BS and how they just flat out lied

Bl@de

I wanted to buy a 1070. I've waited so long for glorious 16nm performance. But at that price? No. I rather play games from my backlog and wait for alternatives. The 770 is still fast enough. If only it had more than 2GB (yeah yeah should've bought the 4GB version). My 770 was 250€ (after the price drop). I'm not paying 500€ for the same performance segment. And I have the feeling that prices will simply stay there (even with custom boards)

sol740

Until AMD steps up I will continue to buy Nvidia, though I'm not lining up to buy FE by any means. I have a 970, I can wait a while for the BS to die down. If AMDs new cards give me the 5870 flashbacks, I may get back on board.

Fishook

I am itching to buy a new pc, but I am waiting till the dust settles down. Before buying a new card. Its no different to people paying silly prices for concert tickets or sports events. I will be the same when the new xbox or playstation comes out.

Hari Seldon

The 1080 prices are not too bad (relative to the MSRP). There are plenty of non-FE cards priced around $600-$650 (with factory OC), you just can't buy any right now since there is no supply.

I think it's funny if nobody sells these cards at MSRP because of the precedent that nvidia set with their nonsense.

Whatever, I don't blame nvidia for being a shitty business. I blame whoever keeps giving them money

Oxn

I think it's funny if nobody sells these cards at MSRP because of the precedent that nvidia set with their nonsense.

Whatever, I don't blame nvidia for being a shitty business. I blame whoever keeps giving them money

Exactly,

Nvidia fanboys getting treated like trash, they gobble it up and then blame another company (AMD) for it.

Ac30

Exactly,

Nvidia fanboys getting treated like trash, they gobble it up and then blame another company (AMD) for it.

Nvidia is not a charity lmao. They know they can milk early adopters because AMD has no competition in that segment. What company wouldn't?

Oxn

Nvidia is not a charity lmao. They know they can milk early adopters because AMD has no competition in that segment. What company wouldn't?

Oh no you misunderstood. I agree with you. Nvidia should and could do what they want.

Hari Seldon

The issue seems to be supply really. If there was a ton of supply the 3rd party vendors would be forced to compete on price. The 1080 prices are not too bad probably because they feel that the demand was not as high as the 1070. But right now basically every vendor releases something that gets bought up within minutes on newegg, so there is no price competition at all.

Mrbob

This is the most paper launched video card in a long time. Hard to gauge true demand because there is barely any supply.

Join the Radeon Rebellion. RX 480 all the way
I would go amd if they offered something more powerful than the 480. I'd like around 1070 to 1080 power. But they don't so they aren't an option.

dr_rus

Join the Radeon Rebellion. RX 480 all the way

Yeah, all the one hundred launch cards way.

It'll be the same with RX480, prices will be above MSRP for quite some time and the availability may be even worse because of a higher volume market segment.

ethomaz

Banned
I'm still waiting on benchmarks between that 480 and the 1070. $449 is a high cost to eat for something that on paper looks about as good as a $250 product from the competition. I have a 970 anyways, no rush.
I keep reading that but 480 and 1070 didn't even compete in the same market... 480 is a good option for 1080p gaming while 1070 is a good option for 1440p gaming.

There is a power gap between them.

If you have a 970 I don't thing 480 will make your gaming life that better... it will give some boost in fps but that won't be something that changes the experience in 1080p.

Mareg

Demand is way too high at the moment.
They would be crazy to sell them for less.

But what creates such a high demand ? I blame lack of competition in the high-end graphic card market. If you want great performance, there isn't really an alternative.

OP, I think you have the right idea. If you want to fight consumerism, you go for the underdog. Just have to lower expectation a little. I hope one day Intel/Nvidia will get some real competition. The market has been stale for too long and it hurts progress.

Kieli

Just wait until amd goes under and all nvidia fans can enjoy superior performance with even more superior pricing.

I'm not going to feel pity for a corporation. If AMD releases a blockbuster product, then kudos! If they go bankrupt due to products that perform as good, or even slightly better, but have terrible marketing/mindshare. That's on them.

Just wait until amd goes under and all nvidia fans can enjoy superior performance with even more superior pricing.

They are still restricted to market forces. If it's priced too high, few are going to buy it. Probably less than they want. With the constant growth of built in gpu solutions, Intel can eat their lunch. Unless you think they're in cahoots...

RedSwirl

I've been wondering what would happen if someone did this to a console.

Popular new consoles get scalped like crazy at launch right? Just do some kind of "launch edition" bullshit at $100 or $150 above what the stated MSRP from your own website or something with a slight lead over retailers, or maybe just make that the pre-order price, then drop it back down once supply actually comes through.

To do that though I guess you have to 1) know how well your launch is going to go which always seems to be a crap shoot for game consoles, and 2) not have major competition launching at the same time. But if Sony or Microsoft could ever get in that perfect position, it would piss people off but also probably make more money.

I've been wondering what would happen if someone did this to a console.

Popular new consoles get scalped like crazy at launch right? Just do some kind of "launch edition" bullshit at $100 or $150 above what the stated MSRP from your own website or something with a slight lead over retailers, or maybe just make that the pre-order price, then drop it back down once supply actually comes through.

To do that though I guess you have to 1) know how well your launch is going to go which always seems to be a crap shoot for game consoles, and 2) not have major competition launching at the same time. But if Sony or Microsoft could ever get in that perfect position, it would piss people off but also probably make more money.

That wouldn't happen. The console space is a safe area from bad business practices. :)

Chiggs

Nvidia is a rotten and slimy company. Anyone defending them is ignoring a staggering track record of anti-consumer BS.

Buuuuuut.....

They also make very good products (some slip ups here and there), and have been quite a force for innovation. So I can't completely trash them.

While I'm absolutely a supporter of AMD (the graphics side of things, at least--will wait for Zen to see if they can make competent CPUs again), there's no doubt that they'd be just as rotten and slimy if they were in the market leader position.

TSM

It seems like people should be more angry at their impatience than at Nvidia. I mean it does suck that the launch window has such a large price inflation, but if people are just willing to wait for the initial rush to end they'll get a card for a reasonable price. This is more of an early adopter tax than anything else. Hell if people are that price conscious then the 1080 isn't the best value for the dollar regardless.

- J - D -

16 years I've been buying Nvidia cards and this is the first time I've chosen not to upgrade due to the shit they pulled this gen with the Reference....sorry, Founders Edition cards, they claim they have to raise the price of FE (reference) cards higher than they used to in order to keep them on the market long term but I honestly don't believe that when AIB partners are producing better quality cards at a lessor price.

Nvidia was so clever/devious releasing the Titan at the price they did, it allowed them to ramp up prices of proceeding cards and everyone think they were still worth it because "wow it's as fast as the thousand dollar Titan!!, it must be a bargain", think back to the recent conference, "This card is faster than a Titan, this card is faster than a Titan, this card is faster than a Titan........", it was like listening to a market stall holder flogging kitchen knives out of a suitcase. And then they proceed to tell you that what used to be their basic reference model is now a special FE card made out of premium materials and a $100 price hike, fuck off nvidia.

Just watch the video Boss★Moogle posted on the previous page, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNCfn4y8dBw , if you was buying a new car from these people honestly would you trust them?

I loved watching these Nvidia guys squirm when the games press start really digging into their bullshit, asking the exactly the kind of questions they definitely didn't want to answer.

x3sphere

It seems like people should be more angry at their impatience than at Nvidia. I mean it does suck that the launch window has such a large price inflation, but if people are just willing to wait for the initial rush to end they'll get a card for a reasonable price. This is more of an early adopter tax than anything else. Hell if people are that price conscious then the 1080 isn't the best value for the dollar regardless.

Well the prices on the 1070 are even more jacked up... 1080 is closer to MSRP.

For example, base EVGA model with ACX cooler is $40 over MSRP for the 1070 while it's +$20 for the 1080.

it's definitely a shitty practice by nvidia. the instant the said they'd have an MSRP and FE prices, i knew nobody would bother pricing according to the MSRP and it's a win win for nvidia. They get to have lower prices listed via media and get a huge demand because of the price, but then due to supply constraints prices get jacked for all cards and consumers lose until the hype dies down and supply picks up.

i hate it, but what else can you do other than pay the premium or wait it out? there's no competition at the high end, so they're free to price it however they want and get away with it.

ethomaz

Banned
I was looking some prices for RX 480 and I guess you won't buy the 4GB for $200 or the 8GB for $230.

All partners will sell way over the MSRP.

Prices will settle by the time I start really considering a 1070 in two or three months but honestly I'm starting to hope the RX480 surprises people with being an extremely good over clocker that comes within spitting distance of a 1070.

FEdYFDs.png

How many people have managed this in anything useful with their standard FE 1080s or custom cooled cards or even with custom PCBs as well so far? That was supposedly a sample not handpicked for the demonstration.

Prices will settle by the time I start really considering a 1070 in two or three months but honestly I'm starting to hope the RX480 surprises people with being an extremely good over clocker that comes within spitting distance of a 1070.

How many people have managed this in anything useful with their standard FE 1080s or custom cooled cards or even with custom PCBs as well so far? That was supposedly a sample not handpicked for the demonstration.

I only checked the first one I googled, but hardocp got pretty close with their founders edition. http://www.hardocp.com/article/2016/05/19/geforce_gtx_1080_founders_edition_overclocking_preview/

ethomaz

Banned

I saw a news with 2.2Ghz air... 2.5Ghz LN2... not FE... GALAX HOF GTX 1080.

With FE I saw a lot of cases 2.0Ghz to 2.1Ghz with air.

BTW 1607Mhz to 2000Mhz is a pretty good over.

x3sphere

My G1 tops out around 2060-2070 MHz. So it's pretty close - that's less than a 3% difference.

AMD hasn't put out a card that overclocked well in a long time. R9 290 overclocked around the same as the 1070/80. Fury overclocks were even worse. So I don't have high hopes in that regard for the RX480, but we'll see.

ethomaz

Banned
My G1 tops out around 2060-2070 MHz. So it's pretty close - that's less than a 3% difference.

AMD hasn't put out a card that overclocked well in a long time. R9 290 overclocked around the same as the 1070/80. Fury overclocks were even worse. So I don't have high hopes in that regard for the RX480, but we'll see.
Last rumors says RX 480 reach 1500MHz air... 1266MHz to 1500MHz is a 18% overclock.

MuchoMalo

Banned
Wait a couple of months. Supply and demand and all that.

No, that was definitely handpicked lol

The reason that those cards don't overclock well is due to hitting power and thermal limits for the architecture. A low-power card on a new process with an improved architecture should bring us back to the amazing 7000-series days.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I can see the 1080ti going for $1k easily. The prices are ridiculous. It's very tempting to wait and see what other cards AMD puts out, as I hope they beat Nvidia's ass.

Max_Po

Banned
Hi guys I went all out in May 2014 and built a i7 4770k and r9 290x.

How much faster is 480x or 1080 gtx

Where do u find this kind of stuff.

i7 4770k is oced to 4.5 ghz and a bit of oc to r9 290x I am currently playing Fallout 4 on ultra 1080p 60 fps and Witcher 3 ultra with foliage slider on high 70 fps...

Win7. I feel that I need to finish games before even considering to upgrade.

Renekton

I can see the 1080ti going for $1k easily. The prices are ridiculous. It's very tempting to wait and see what other cards AMD puts out, as I hope they beat Nvidia's ass.
1080Ti might be <$800, since GP102 is not the full part like GM200 was.

People hoping for "AMD to beat Nvidia so Nvidia drops price" still exclusively buy Nvidia anyways so nothing is changed.

Mrbob

People hoping for "AMD to beat Nvidia so Nvidia drops price" still exclusively buy Nvidia anyways so nothing is changed.
To be fair , amd needs to compete with a full product line. We just know about the 480 and lower.

There are many people who want a 1070 or 1080 and amd is not catering to them. Heck they could probably steal marketshare if they had 1070 and 1080 competitors available. Supply is a real issue right now with both new lines of Nvidia cards. There aren't many being shipped. When people say supply and demand they should really just say supply right now.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Seems to be the case... In that initial announce thread, I was giving them the benefit of the doubt, because I just couldn't believe they would try to screw people over for what couldn't amount to more than a couple of million dollars in increased profits. Just didn't seem to worth the negative PR and reputation damage, but it seems like that's exactly what they did.

Renekton

To be fair , amd needs to compete with a full product line. We just know about the 480 and lower.

There are many people who want a 1070 or 1080 and amd is not catering to them. Heck they could probably steal marketshare if they had 1070 and 1080 competitors available. Supply is a real issue right now with both new lines of Nvidia cards. There aren't many being shipped. When people say supply and demand they should really just say supply right now.
Even if AMD releases 490, they will only buy 1070/1080 anyways.

They are just hoping somehow Nvidia feels pressured to cut price, which won't happen.

Yep which is hilarious some don't see the idiocy in it. I mean if you're going to stay with Nvidia great, but cheering on AMD when you're not going to buy their product regardless just incentivizes Nvidia to not give a fuck about your pricing preference.

I will definitely be going with AMD in about 6 months when Im ready. This practice by Nvidia is disgusting and I cant support it. I know it means nothing in the grand scheme, but not supporting something like that is all I can do.

Top Bottom