• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NY Times: The most cursed sports cities in America

Status
Not open for further replies.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...-Sports-Cities-in-America.html?abt=0002&abg=0

n39A34v.jpg

We've come up with a few metrics to measure sports pain.

One is the combined number of seasons since a city's last championship, across the four major sports. Cleveland is now up to an incredible 147 title-less seasons since the Browns' 1964 N.F.L. championship.

Another measure is the percentage of seasons over the last 50 years that have ended with a title.
For reference, 10 percent of Boston's team seasons since 1965 have ended with a title. Most of the 13 cities on this list here don't clear 2 percent.

We also tell you how many close calls — which we define as unsuccessful appearances in a sport's final four — a city has had. Sorry, Philadelphia.

Methodology

We counted every season since 1965 in the four major sports. We realize some fans would argue for including Major League Soccer, but it has attracted substantially less fan interest by most measures than baseball, basketball, football or hockey.

We focused on cities with at least two teams that have existed for many decades. Several cities with only one team, like Orlando and Sacramento, or two relatively new teams, like Charlotte and Nashville, have also failed to win a major title.

We included seasons from the three upstart leagues that merged into a major league: the American Basketball Association, the American Football League and the World Hockey Association. We did not count the 1994 baseball season, in which no team won a title because of a strike, or the 2004-5 season for the N.H.L., when a lockout prevented any games from being played.

We excluded teams with suburban identities — like the Anaheim Ducks, the Los Angeles Angels, the New Jersey Devils and the New York Islanders — from the nearby city's count of seasons and titles. But we counted the Green Bay Packers as part of Milwaukee and the Golden State Warriors as part of both Oakland and San Francisco; by any standard, the Packers are Milwaukee's football team, and the Warriors are the entire Bay Area's basketball team.

Much more detail into these selections at the link, here's an overview of the list:

1. Cleveland
Combined seasons since last title: 147
Championship seasons since 1965: 0%
Close calls: 10%
Toughest loss: 1997 World Series
Teams: Indians, Cavaliers, Browns. Former teams: Barons (N.H.L.), Crusaders (World Hockey Association).

2. Atlanta
Combined seasons since last title: 70
Championship seasons since 1965: 0.6%
Close calls: 9%
Toughest loss: 1981 N.F.C. divisional playoff, leading the Cowboys, 24-10, in the fourth quarter, at home.
Teams: Braves, Hawks, Falcons. Former teams: Thrashers (N.H.L.), Flames (N.H.L.).

3. Buffalo
Championship seasons since 1965: 1%
Combined seasons since last title: 101
Close calls: 12%
Toughest loss: 1991 Super Bowl, wide right.
Teams: Bills (N.F.L. and A.F.L.), Sabres. Former teams: Braves (N.B.A.)

4. San Diego
Championship seasons since 1965: 0%
Combined seasons since last title: not applicable
Close calls: 6%
Toughest loss: 2007 A.F.C. playoff game, at home to Patriots after 14-2 regular season.
Teams: Padres, Chargers (N.F.L. and A.F.L.). Former teams: Rockets and Clippers (N.B.A.); Conquistadors/Sails (A.B.A); Mariners (W.H.A.).

5. Washington
Championship seasons since 1965: 2.7%
Combined seasons since last title: 79
Close calls: 4%
Toughest loss: 2012 division series, when the Nats lost a 6-0 lead in the deciding game.
Teams: Senators, Nationals, Capitals, Redskins, Bullets/Wizards. Former team: Caps (A.B.A)

6. Minneapolis-St. Paul
Championship seasons since 1965: 1.2%
Combined seasons since last title: 87
Close calls: 12%
Toughest loss: 2010 N.F.C. title game, and Brett Favre’s late interception
Teams: Twins, Vikings, Wild, Timberwolves. Former teams: North Stars (N.H.L.); Fighting Saints (W.H.A), Muskies (A.B.A.), Pipers (A.B.A.)

7. Philadelphia
Championship seasons since 1965: 3%
Combined seasons since last title: 27
Close calls: 19%
Toughest loss: 2010 Stanley Cup finals (or name an Eagles loss — so many to choose)
Teams: Eagles, Phillies, 76ers, Flyers. Former team: Blazers (W.H.A.)

8. Phoenix
Championship seasons since 1965: 1.2%
Combined seasons since last title: 55
Close calls: 11%
Toughest loss: 1976 N.B.A. finals, Game 5
Teams: Suns, Cardinals, Coyotes, Diamondbacks. Former team: Roadrunners (W.H.A.)

9. Oakland
Championship seasons since 1965: 4.7%
Combined seasons since last title: 69
Close calls: 14%.
Toughest loss: 2001 A.L. division series, blowing a 2-0 lead in games, thanks in part to Derek Jeter’s flip
Teams: A's, Raiders, Warriors. Former teams: Seals/Golden Seals (N.H.L.); Oaks

10. Kansas City
Championship seasons since 1965: 1.7%
Combined seasons since last title: 57
Close calls: 11%
Toughest loss: 2014 World Series
Teams: Royals, Chiefs (A.F.L. and N.F.L.). Former teams: Kings (N.B.A.); Scouts (N.H.L.)

11. Houston
Championship seasons since 1965: 4.2%
Combined seasons since last title: 55
Close calls: 14%
Toughest loss: 1986 National League Championship Series, to the Mets
Teams: Astros, Texans, Rockets. Former teams: Oilers (N.F.L.), Aeros (W.H.A.), Mavericks (A.B.A.).

12. Cincinnati
Championship seasons since 1965: 2.8%
Combined seasons since last title: 48
Close calls: 6%
Toughest loss: 1989 Super Bowl, on a last-minute drive to Joe Montana's 49ers.
Teams: Reds, Bengals. Former teams: Royals (N.B.A.), Stingers (W.H.A.)

13. Seattle
Championship seasons since 1965: 1.7%
Combined seasons since last title: 2
Close calls: 9%
Toughest loss: Malcolm Butler and the 2015 Super Bowl
Teams: Mariners, Seahawks. Former teams: Pilots (M.L.B.), SuperSonics (N.B.A.)

terrisus

Another measure is the percentage of seasons over the last 50 years that have ended with a title. For reference, 10 percent of Boston's team seasons since 1965 have ended with a title. Most of the 13 cities on this list here don't clear 2 percent.

imokaywiththis.jpg

New York City isn't up there with the worst? Aside from the Yankees and Giants, everyone here suuuuuuuuucks at winning titles. No NBA, no NHL, no MLS, no NCAA men's or women's titles, no WNBA, no nothing. :(

Yeah, I figured MSP would be up there.

I see they don't count the Lynx, the WNBA team that apparently just destroys everyone. Or did. I don't know because I don't follow it. Nobody does.

terrisus

I'm surprised Chicago isn't up there at all.

But I suppose they figured the Bulls and the White Sox made up for the Cubs.

ftfy

The White Sox have won once in the past 80+ years
For that matter, they've only even been in 2 World Series during that 80+ years.

Sure, they've won more World Series over that timeframe than the Cubs (1 > 0), but they're not "making up" for very much.

DC area resident here.

I feel the pain. Sometimes I wish I didn't follow any sports team from this god damned city. Nothing but heartbreaks.

I'm surprised Chicago isn't up there at all.

But I suppose they figured the Bulls and the White Sox made up for the Cubs.

Since this is factoring in success for the whole city this isn't that surprising. Bulls/Hawks/Sox have like 7-8 combined championships in the past 25 years (give or take one or two). That's not bad.

jwhit28

I guess they are lumping the Hurricanes in with the Hornets and Panthers? The Charlotte teams are probably too young to stack up to the big cursed boys anyway.

mreddie

Did people forget the DBacks won a World Series and...oh not much else.

Basically this list is every city but Pittsburgh, NY, LA, San Francisco, Boston and Dallas.

Bacon

New York City isn't up there with the worst? Aside from the Yankees and Giants, everyone here suuuuuuuuucks at winning titles. No NBA, no NHL, no MLS, no NCAA men's or women's titles, no WNBA, no nothing. :(

It's cumulative so the Yankees and Giants more than make up for the rest of them

terrisus

Yeah, but that includes all of the teams. I am more impressed with going from thinking I would never see the sox win the series to watching it three times.

Agreed. I don't care in the least about the Patriots. The Celtics and Bruins are alright I suppose. But, I would trade them all away for the championships for the Red Sox. Those are all that matter to me <3

Where's Boston on the list? We've had to endure 123 days without a championship. That's hard times, man!

The struggle is real :þ

Jag

But the sports area really should be the NY Metro and include the Mets and the Islanders dynasty years (of which I heartily celebrated). Hell, even the Rangers won a cup in 94..

Trigonx

Surprised to not see Milwaukee on that list(since he is using after 1965 the Braves left after the 1965 season). Bucks have one championship, and Brewers have only been to the World Series once.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom