• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NY Times: The most cursed sports cities in America

Status
Not open for further replies.

tmdorsey

I knew being a Atlanta sports fan was hard, but now I know its almost the worst.

Yep and the thing is most people who live here aren't from here and don't have the cahonies to deal with the misery and disappointment that comes with being an Atlanta sports fan. Thus, (like people like the bring up and can't get over 20 damn years later) you get shit like the Braves not fully selling out playoff games.

Draxal

Well to be fair the list is kinda weird. It includes the Giants, but excludes the Devils when they played right next to each for all of their championships and the Devils moved to a location that is even closer to NYC since then. The existence of the Yankees alone invalidates the complain though.

R_GILL

I'm tanking for Kabanov!
People here talking about championships while Toronto sports fans just ask for our shit teams to just make the playoffs and they can't even do that.

Connecticut sports fan here so I don't understand not having a local team win means.

Sports allegiances based on proximity are silly anyway, particularly in modern America where the owners routinely hold the cities hostage with the threat of relocation. Just once, I'd like to see a city say "pack your bags, chump."

*Charlotte (and I'm sure a few other cities) almost did that. "We want the Hornets, we just don't want you" (to Shinn/Woolridge before the original team moved to New Orleans).

I'll give you Cleveland, but Buffalo absolutely, positively deserves to be above Atlanta on this list.

Our "stats" are better, and we have two of the worst ever losses in their respective sports (wide right, which they mention, but also Brett Hull's obviously illegal goal in the clinching goal of the Stanley Cup finals).

Yes, I am legitimately upset about not getting enough credit for sucking so bad. That is what it's like to grow up in Buffalo, folks.

UberTag

People here talking about championships while Toronto sports fans just ask for our shit teams to just make the playoffs and they can't even do that.
It's hard for them to be motivated when you'll sell out every regular season game while paying more money than anyone else on the continent.
I mean, if you'll do that for loser teams it really takes away all of their incentive to try.

Sephzilla

9ced0345b04ea4ccfc092c2476528c89.jpg

Lead us to the promised land, Matthew

In this scenario the promised land = a Florida golf course in January

pestul

Didn't Toronto win back-to-back World Series' in the early 1990s? (unless that's cumulative, not 91 years, but 30 years * 3 professional sports teams or whatever)
Maple Leafs x 48, Blue Jays x 22, Raptors x 20

So actually 90 then. Oh and the Jays haven't even made the playoffs since they won the Series in 93'.

The Argonauts won the Grey Cup in 2012. That counts for like 5 championships right there.
And they had WrestleMania back in 2002. Lots of things to celebrate.
And the Hockey Hall of Fame is there. What other city gets to visit the Stanley Cup whenever they choose?
CFL is a 9-team league
No Canadians won at Wrestlemania
Stanley Cup at the HHOF is a decoy most of the time.

Sephzilla

Maple Leafs x 48, Blue Jays x 22, Raptors x 20

So actually 90 then. Oh and the Jays haven't even made the playoffs since they won the Series in 93'.

CFL is a 9-team league
No Canadians won at Wrestlemania
Stanley Cup at the HHOF is a decoy most of the time.

wwf-bret-title.jpg

14_Chris_Benoit_040709_1239164331.jpg

I can understand forgetting about Benoit though

JABEE

The Flyers have the second highest winning percentage behind the Montreal Canadiens since the first NHL expansion (1967) happened.

The Flyers have lost six times in a row when appearing in the Stanley Cup Final each time to an eventual NHL Dynasty team.

1975-1976 Montreal Canadiens - Bernie Parent was partially blinded and sidelined by a New York Ranger leading up to the Flyers chance at a three-peat. The 1976 Montreal Canadiens are widely considered one of the greatest team in NHL History.

1979-1980 New York Islanders - The Flyers lose in OT in Game 6 to the Islanders who went on to win four Stanley Cup Championships in a row. Leon Stickle blew an offside call on an Islanders goal that forced overtime. The Flyers were on their way to forcing a Game 7 at the Spectrum where they never lose.

That Philadelphia Flyers team also owns the active record in North American Professional Sports by going 35 games without losing.

1983-1984 Edmonton Oilers - The Philadelphia Flyers lose to the dynasty Oilers.

1986-1987 Edmonton Oilers - The Phileadelphia Flyers take another all-time great team to Game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals. Ron Hextall wins the Conn Smythe Trophy for Most Valuable Player in the Playoffs, but the Flyers lose a one goal game to the dynasty Oilers.

1996-1997 Detroit Red Wings - The Legion of Doom fails and Niklas Lidstrom has a coming out party. The Red Wings change their reputation from chokers to Champions. They go on to win one more Cup in the Nineties.

2009-2010 Chicago Blackhawks - After many years of going to the ECF and losing, the Flyers break through and take the Blackhawks to the brink. Jeff Carter flubs on an empty net in the final minutes of regulation in Game 6 of the Final. The Blackhawks score between Michael Leighton's legs in the most embarrassing way possible on home ice. The Flyers lose the Stanley Cup. Patrick Kane, a player the Flyers lost in the draft lottery, scores the game-winning goal.

This is just the Cup Final appearances for the Flyers. It would be a lot worse if I mentioned all the times the Flyers advanced deep into the playoffs and lost. I don't think there is a team in the NHL that is as successful as the Flyers that also loses in big games as often and for as long as the Flyers have since 1975.

I'm not even mentioning the Eagles. :(

jman2050

I find it amusing that the one sole championship Atlanta has had in forever came at the expense of Cleveland of all teams.

rbenchley

Good to see Philly well represented.

the-new-day-shakes.gif

If there's any justice in the world, they'll descend to #1 and never leave that spot ever again. The only championship that I don't begrudge that awful city is the 1980 Phillies, since the greatest third baseman of all time deserved at least one World Series ring. From this point forward, may they never win a World Series, Super Bowl, NBA Championship or Stanley Cup.

terrisus

"Connecticut Sports fan here so that means if the Boston sports teams are losing I become a New York fan, and if the New York teams are losing, I'm a die-hard Boston sports fan. And then we have Jim Calhoun who refuses to play Holy Cross and UMass unless they're not any good."

:)

Seriously, Connecticut is pretty horrible.
Bunch of front-runners around here.

Maybe if the state could actually dedicate themselves to one team, in good times and bad, the Whalers wouldn't have left.

terrisus

Sports allegiances based on proximity are silly anyway, particularly in modern America where the owners routinely hold the cities hostage with the threat of relocation. Just once, I'd like to see a city say "pack your bags, chump."

That's what I wanted Massachusetts to do to the Patriots when they were trying to extort a stadium out of the state, and were threatening to move to Connecticut.

Should've just said, "Remember to shut and lock the door on your way out."

the-new-day-shakes.gif

If there's any justice in the world, they'll descend to #1 and never leave that spot ever again. The only championship that I don't begrudge that awful city is the 1980 Phillies, since the greatest third baseman of all time deserved at least one World Series ring. From this point forward, may they never win a World Series, Super Bowl, NBA Championship or Stanley Cup.

but the Phillies won in 2008 and went to the world series in 2009.

I'm looking forward to the Finals tonight more than any in recent years. Curry is probably the most exciting player in the league, but I'm hoping Cleveland can bring a championship to the Midwest.

How is New Orleans not on that list? The Saints franchise alone before the brees era should be enough to top that list in just how high profile the failures were. "Diddly poo" is just on a whole other level.

the-new-day-shakes.gif

Woah. Not cool LeSean McCoy. Go be quiet in Buffalo

cdyhybrid

Can someone help me distinguish between a city that is cursed and a city that happens to have poorly run athletics organizations?

Poorly run athletics organizations generally experience turnover (coaches/managers/personnel etc. get fired and replaced because of a lack of results on the field). It's when that turnover continues to result in no improvement over decades that people start using the word "curse".

There's no such thing as curses though

4. San Diego
Championship seasons since 1965: 0%
Combined seasons since last title: not applicable
Close calls: 6%
Toughest loss: 2007 A.F.C. playoff game, at home to Patriots after 14-2 regular season.
Teams: Padres, Chargers (N.F.L. and A.F.L.). Former teams: Rockets and Clippers (N.B.A.); Conquistadors/Sails (A.B.A); Mariners (W.H.A.).

Haha alright. About time were near the top of a pack.

linkboy

Seattle's biggest fuck up is the fuck up from the superbowl against the stealers

I'm a 49ers fan who hates the Seahawks with a passion and that's 290% wrong.

Sure, you can argue the refs were terrible in the Steelers game (and they were), but Seattle made some critical mistakes that didn't help.

This year's Super Bowl is something that will eat at you for years as a fan. Just like how SF lost SB47.

cajunator

Banned
How is New Orleans not on that list? The Saints franchise alone before the brees era should be enough to top that list in just how high profile the failures were. "Diddly poo" is just on a whole other level.

We missed an extra point kick to tie a game after one of the most miraculous plays ever.
I have no idea how NOLA isnt on that list except that it really only had football for a long time. Other cities have had multiple league opportunities to shit on fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom