• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NY Times: The most cursed sports cities in America

Status
Not open for further replies.

eznark

Banned
We counted every season since 1965 in the four major sports. We realize some fans would argue for including Major League Soccer, but it has attracted substantially less fan interest by most measures than baseball, basketball, football or hockey.

definitive boom

Matty77

Agreed. I don't care in the least about the Patriots. The Celtics and Bruins are alright I suppose. But, I would trade them all away for the championships for the Red Sox. Those are all that matter to me <3

The struggle is real :þ
I like all the teams a lot, and as just sports I like football and basketball better. But I was born and raised in Worcester County so the Sox are not sports they are religion, that shit runs in the blood.

Draxal

I knew the Devils didn't, but NYC doesn't claim the Islanders? Never knew that. Still, NYR won one in the 90s so he's still wrong.

Long Islanders consider themselves separate there's a lot of Islander fans that upset that they're moving to Brooklyn the next year.

Suite Pee

Willing to learn
But we counted the Green Bay Packers as part of Milwaukee and the Golden State Warriors as part of both Oakland and San Francisco; by any standard, the Packers are Milwaukee's football team, and the Warriors are the entire Bay Area's basketball team.

So that's why Milwaukee isn't on there.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
not from Cleveland and I still ended up picking Cleveland by mistake.

The shame circle is real y'all.

eissan

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...-Sports-Cities-in-America.html?abt=0002&abg=0

Much more detail into these selections at the link, here's an overview of the list:

1. Cleveland
Combined seasons since last title: 147
Championship seasons since 1965: 0%
Close calls: 10%
Toughest loss: 1997 World Series
Teams: Indians, Cavaliers, Browns. Former teams: Barons (N.H.L.), Crusaders (World Hockey Association).

2. Atlanta
Combined seasons since last title: 70
Championship seasons since 1965: 0.6%
Close calls: 9%
Toughest loss: 1981 N.F.C. divisional playoff, leading the Cowboys, 24-10, in the fourth quarter, at home.
Teams: Braves, Hawks, Falcons. Former teams: Thrashers (N.H.L.), Flames (N.H.L.).

3. Buffalo
Championship seasons since 1965: 1%
Combined seasons since last title: 101
Close calls: 12%
Toughest loss: 1991 Super Bowl, wide right.
Teams: Bills (N.F.L. and A.F.L.), Sabres. Former teams: Braves (N.B.A.)

4. San Diego
Championship seasons since 1965: 0%
Combined seasons since last title: not applicable
Close calls: 6%
Toughest loss: 2007 A.F.C. playoff game, at home to Patriots after 14-2 regular season.
Teams: Padres, Chargers (N.F.L. and A.F.L.). Former teams: Rockets and Clippers (N.B.A.); Conquistadors/Sails (A.B.A); Mariners (W.H.A.).

5. Washington
Championship seasons since 1965: 2.7%
Combined seasons since last title: 79
Close calls: 4%
Toughest loss: 2012 division series, when the Nats lost a 6-0 lead in the deciding game.
Teams: Senators, Nationals, Capitals, Redskins, Bullets/Wizards. Former team: Caps (A.B.A)

6. Minneapolis-St. Paul
Championship seasons since 1965: 1.2%
Combined seasons since last title: 87
Close calls: 12%
Toughest loss: 2010 N.F.C. title game, and Brett Favre’s late interception
Teams: Twins, Vikings, Wild, Timberwolves. Former teams: North Stars (N.H.L.); Fighting Saints (W.H.A), Muskies (A.B.A.), Pipers (A.B.A.)

7. Philadelphia
Championship seasons since 1965: 3%
Combined seasons since last title: 27
Close calls: 19%
Toughest loss: 2010 Stanley Cup finals (or name an Eagles loss — so many to choose)
Teams: Eagles, Phillies, 76ers, Flyers. Former team: Blazers (W.H.A.)

8. Phoenix
Championship seasons since 1965: 1.2%
Combined seasons since last title: 55
Close calls: 11%
Toughest loss: 1976 N.B.A. finals, Game 5
Teams: Suns, Cardinals, Coyotes, Diamondbacks. Former team: Roadrunners (W.H.A.)

9. Oakland
Championship seasons since 1965: 4.7%
Combined seasons since last title: 69
Close calls: 14%.
Toughest loss: 2001 A.L. division series, blowing a 2-0 lead in games, thanks in part to Derek Jeter’s flip
Teams: A's, Raiders, Warriors. Former teams: Seals/Golden Seals (N.H.L.); Oaks

10. Kansas City
Championship seasons since 1965: 1.7%
Combined seasons since last title: 57
Close calls: 11%
Toughest loss: 2014 World Series
Teams: Royals, Chiefs (A.F.L. and N.F.L.). Former teams: Kings (N.B.A.); Scouts (N.H.L.)

11. Houston
Championship seasons since 1965: 4.2%
Combined seasons since last title: 55
Close calls: 14%
Toughest loss: 1986 National League Championship Series, to the Mets
Teams: Astros, Texans, Rockets. Former teams: Oilers (N.F.L.), Aeros (W.H.A.), Mavericks (A.B.A.).

12. Cincinnati
Championship seasons since 1965: 2.8%
Combined seasons since last title: 48
Close calls: 6%
Toughest loss: 1989 Super Bowl, on a last-minute drive to Joe Montana's 49ers.
Teams: Reds, Bengals. Former teams: Royals (N.B.A.), Stingers (W.H.A.)

13. Seattle
Championship seasons since 1965: 1.7%
Combined seasons since last title: 2
Close calls: 9%
Toughest loss: Malcolm Butler and the 2015 Super Bowl
Teams: Mariners, Seahawks. Former teams: Pilots (M.L.B.), SuperSonics (N.B.A.)
#deflatethat

I thought me and Xia were friends, what a disrespectful way to start the day
giphy.gif

Go Browns!:"(

Sephzilla

Milwaukee by itself is definitely worth putting on that list.

I feel stupid asking this as a Wisconsin sports fan but how many professional sports teams does Milwaukee have? I'm only aware of the Bucks and Brewers.

Green Bay is so strong it's pulling Milwaukee's dead weight from over a hundred miles away

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
DC area resident here.

I feel the pain. Sometimes I wish I didn't follow any sports team from this god damned city. Nothing but heartbreaks.

...the redskins are one of the greatest franchises in NFL history what do they have like 4 superbowls? now the rest of your teams...yeah

Houston may be #11 but as a fan it feels way higher. All we have since the rockets in 1995 is the dynamo but no one cares about them. Texans are perpetual trash. At least the rockets got to the western conference finals and had a historic comeback on the clippers this year.

Suite Pee

Willing to learn
I feel stupid asking this as a Wisconsin sports fan but how many professional sports teams does Milwaukee have? I'm only aware of the Bucks and Brewers.

That's it. We also have the Admirals for the AHL and the Wave for Major Arena Soccer.

Based on their own metrics, I don't see how San Diego isn't number 2.

Also Houston should be higher because Jordan was playing Baseball during the city's only championships.

Sephzilla

I actually halfway expected Atlanta's toughest loss to be the 48-21 spanking the Packers gave them in the 2011 playoffs in Atlanta when Atlanta was a #1 seed that went 7-1 at home. I just remember Atlanta fans being super high on the team that year, everyone was high on Matty Ice, people figured they'd walk through the playoffs, then Rodgers happened.

Fury451

Banned
Objectively cursed cities are the worst!

Being a Cleveland native...it's not wrong on this front.

And yeah, the '97 loss still hurts. As did the '95.

And we blew our chance in 2007, when we were up by three games over Boston. If we went to the World Series that year, we could have swept it.

They're a long way away. If anything, Liga MX is the fifth major North American Sports League.

C'mon, brah. Mexico don't count.

Far behind in revenue, sure, but is that the only factor? It's the only other major sports league in the U.S./Canada besides the "Big 4." There's really no other competition. It's closer to the "Big 4" than it is to whatever the hell would count as #6.

Based on their own metrics, I don't see how San Diego isn't number 2.

Also Houston should be higher because Jordan was playing Baseball during the city's only championships.

Also this. For almost every success in Houston sports there's always focus on some other team or person instead. When the rockets had that crazy 3-1 comeback over the clippers, guess what? Nobody was talking about the rockets. Just how the clippers choked. Only thing that they were saying is 'lol rockets gonna get swept next round. It gets maddening. No wonder houston sports fans have a persecution complex.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom