• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYPD officer shot and killed in unprovoked attack

Malo

Banned
Not surprised to hear this happened on 183rd and creston, it's always been a hot block and a block I always avoided.

RIP.

vypek

RIP to the cop. Unfortunate.

If we are purely talking about involvements with police, then

135 police officers died in the line of duty last year out of approximately 900,000 officers
266 black people died at the hands of police last year out of approximately 40,000,000 black people.

Where are these numbers from?

So sad. My condolences to his family and friends. I wish we would stop resorting to violence and hatred in this country.

Imm0rt4l

Tragic
Sometimes we tend to forget how fucking dangerous is to be a cop. Literally putting their lives on the line each day. That's what they've signed up for but still.

RIP
Not really. We're reminded of it constantly, particularly when they fuck up.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
RIP to the officer. Senseless violence.

Sometimes we tend to forget how fucking dangerous is to be a cop. Literally putting their lives on the line each day. That's what they've signed up for but still.

RIP
IIRC being a cop isn't even top ten in most dangerous jobs in America. The vast majority of police never even draw their weapon.

Well it wasn't senseless violence.

She was killed by a black man because she's a cop. Shouldn't this be called terrorism?

If he had an Islamic name and targetted her because she's a cop everyone would call it terrorism.

Zoe

IIRC being a cop isn't even top ten in most dangerous jobs in America. The vast majority of police never even draw their weapon.

Death isn't the only measure of "danger" though, which is usually what those lists are looking at.

Pretty stupid to think being against terrorism and the killing of innocent cops and is the same as supporting cops who kill black people. If you actually think that you have zero credibility, imo.

A man, targeted and killed a police officer for political revenge. That's basically the defintion of terrorism. Disgusting to see people defend a murderer just because of his skin color.

Breads

Banned

She was killed by a black man because she's a cop. Shouldn't this be called terrorism?

If he had an Islamic name and targetted her because she's a cop everyone would call it terrorism.
You know something we don't?

Or are we just making shit up to air random grievances.

captive

Pretty disgusting and stupid to think being against terrorism and the killing of innocent cops and is the same as supporting cops who kill black people. If you actually think that you have zero credibility, imo.

1) why dont you quote who your referring to instead of just throwing stuff out there vaguely referring to other posters.
2) killing a cop isn't terrorism by itself. You're speculating at best, and that's generous.

Pretty stupid to think being against terrorism and the killing of innocent cops and is the same as supporting cops who kill black people. If you actually think that you have zero credibility, imo.

A man, targeted and killed a police officer for political revenge. That's basically the defintion of terrorism. Disgusting to see people defend a murderer just because of his skin color.
Who are you talking to? Who has done this?

Breads

Banned

What the fuck are you talking about. Who is defending the shooter. Why are you just making shit up. What is the endgame here.

Are you trying to get yourself ban? Like what the fuck are you talking about?

Infinite

Death isn't the only measure of "danger" though, which is usually what those lists are looking at.
You would then have to define danger in a way where we can observe measure and study it to compare versus other occupations

I was just talking with a friend over the 4th about his rough week as a state police officer. He carried a dead baby out of a drug house and tried to give it CPR but it was too far gone. Later in the week he was the first responder to a particularly gruesome accident that killed 2 teenagers. He then had to inform the parents.

But you're right. He never had to draw his gun.

Do you even know how to read or are you just making shit up?

SomTervo

How do you know the suspect is affiliated with a political or religious group?

Terrorism is an orchestrated attack on the public to sow fear and resentment and provoke politically, in the name of an ideology.

You think this attack was that?

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.

Where did you come to this conclusion.

cr0w

Old Member
I was just talking with a friend over the 4th about his rough week as a state police officer. He carried a dead baby out of a drug house and tried to give it CPR but it was too far gone. Later in the week he was the first responder to a particularly gruesome accident that killed 2 teenagers. He then had to inform the parents.

Police, Paramedics, Firefighters, etc. see more horrific shit than most soldiers deployed to active warzones on a daily basis. This seems to be forgotten or ignored.

But it doesn't matter because "they chose to take on the job", according to many people who shit their pants at the very thought of getting into a car or going outside and dealing with other human beings face to face, I guess.

Paramedics see the same and worse on a regular basis. So do ER doctors. That doesn't make those jobs dangerous, at least not in the context used here.

gaiages

Banned
In America, yeah

Treat others how you want to be treated.

The police force isn't a hivemind... just because there are corrupt and terrible people in the force doesn't mean an innocent and unrelated officer deserves to be killed. SMH

shandy706

RIP

I don't forget how dangerous it is, but man is the pay HORRID for what they do.

Saw an advertisement at Myrtle Beach for new officers. Starting pay, a measley $24k - $26k.

I wouldn't' die for that kind of money.

chadtwo

If your point is that any time a person is killed because of an aspect of their identity it's terrorism, then I suppose that makes almost literally every murder an act of terrorism.

Leatherface

Saw an advertisement at Myrtle Beach for new officers. Starting pay, a measley $24k - $26k.

The fuck?! That's like McDonalds money! :eek:

Police, Paramedics, Firefighters, etc. see more horrific shit than most soldiers deployed to active warzones on a daily basis. This seems to be forgotten or ignored.

But it doesn't matter because "they chose to take on the job", according to many people who shit their pants at the very thought of getting into a car or going outside and dealing with other human beings face to face, I guess.

No I shit my pants at the thought I'll be shot while doing nothing wrong.
*Ive had multiple cops hold their guns on me while parked at a McDonald's at 3pm.*

Senseless murder. This will only make police officers more anxious during routine situations and will provide sympathy to those few officers who act outside of the line of duty.

It's a reciprocal effect that needs to stop. Both sides are guilty of murder, so there can never be justice without mutual responsibility.

ISOM

Obviously them seeing horrific shit means that any person can be killed without provocation at the slightest hint of danger especially if it's a black person. You sure proved your point.

Can we not have that conversation here?

Why not? If you don't think this is going to be used to justify more murderers of black people getting off scot free you've not been paying attention. Ignoring the elephant in the room is like trying to cordon off talk about how a domestic terrorist atrack sill affect the country's Muslim population.

Ovid

DD9zIlwUMAAsAWP.jpg:large

NYPD and FDNY badges on Twitter.

EDIT: The commissioner is calling her death an assasination.

#NYPD PO Miosotis Familia has been assassinated in an unprovoked attack on cops assigned to keep NYers safe. Keep her family in your prayers
https://twitter.com/nypdoneill/status/882550648671272960

captive

neither of those situations are particularly dangerous to the officer involved. The conversation was about danger, not potential psychological damage.

Also lots of people, unfortunately have to deal with dead bodies. My wife has had to deal with two suicide attempts one of which was successful. And she's not a first responder.

I don't know the Shadowhelper history on these topics however,

Unless you did some digging that's some speculation, and I'm being generous.
thats the way his post came off, like the stereotypical cops are always right person.

Furthermore, there is a large disconnect in society when a cop kills someone and when someone kills a cop. The cop will get a large public funeral. The cops family will get his or her pension and the perpetrator is generally caught or killed within hours of the crime being committed. The cops name will never be dragged through the mud, in fact that cop will be hailed a hero, regardless of the circumstances of their death.

Conversely when a cop kills someone, regardless of the circumstances, that persons name will be dragged through the mud. The officer will almost never face criminal charges and when they do they will far more often than not found not guilty.

Ultryx

My thoughts go out to the family. Cops definitely deal with the best and worst of society each day. I am thankful for it though.

Being a cop is a thankless job. Which is crazy because when the gun shots start ringing out, their job is to run towards the bullets. Unprovoked attacks like this against police officers is truly the lowest of the low.

Thank you for your service, Miosotis Familia

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member

That's gotta be pay for seasonal gig. Probably only hire you on full time from May to September and then either part time the rest of the year or no hours at all.

Top Bottom