• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Teen blasts NWA's "Fuck tha Police" during slain officers funeral

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nepenthe

I understand your rage. I actually got banned on this site for a while because of what I said I wanted to happen to a cop that killed an unarmed black man. But this "all cops are evil and if they die we should celebrate their deaths in front of their families at their funerals" stance is a little extreme. Like, if we've gotten to this point for police officers, that they should all die, then everything is beyond fucked.

I don't think most people, or anyone, is saying this in this thread.

l2ounD

071117_nypd_miosotis_familia_funeralpm-4.jpg

Perfect time to say "Fuck tha police"

I understand your rage. I actually got banned on this site for a while because of what I said I wanted to happen to a cop that killed an unarmed black man. But this "all cops are evil and if they die we should celebrate their deaths in front of their families at their funerals" stance is a little extreme. Like, if we've gotten to this point for police officers, that they should all die, then everything is beyond fucked.

All I want is for them to face real consequences when they kill black people and destroy our lives so that they will stop, I don't want them to literally all die and I sure as fuck won't cheer if they get killed off by actual criminals.

Where I think you and others differ is in seeing what this kid did as a "celebration". "Fuck the Police" is a protest song. It's raw, and its visceral but at its core that's what it is.

This thread is disgusting on so many levels.

The police are clearly using this tragedy to play racial politics.

But even then-

DON'T
FUCK
WITH
SOMEONE'S
FUNERAL

I'm shocked at how so many people are actually applauding this. Have some empathy, god damn. Imagine being related to the woman who was killed, and then seeing some idiot roll up with a song that's basically celebrating her death? Shit like that is traumatic. How fucking removed do you have to be from a basic sense of humanity and decency to not see that?

"But what about the cops-"

Ya, the NYPD is shit. Still. We're discussing a specific incident that happened in the context of this thread, and what that kid did was disgusting.

And I would say that about anyone's funeral. A pedophile, an ISIS fighter, literally fucking anyone. If a family is grieving, even for a bad person, it's awful to just roll up and play celebratory music or do anything to further their grief at a funeral. This woman wasn't as bad as any of those examples, so it should be more obvious to all of you that this was wrong. Just let them have their sendoff.

Criticize the NYPD all you want, what they're doing with this officer's death is awful. But don't pretend it's OK to crash a funeral and troll the victim's family no matter who they are. That's awful, horrendous behaviour and the fact that so many of you are endorsing it is disturbing.

fuck his funeral.

he's already dead fam.

how about they stop fucking with the living?

how about they stop choking people to death?

how about they stop shooting unarmed men, women and children?

how about they don't fuck up another life of another kid 20 armed thugs strong over some music?

Goodstyle

I have empathy for the people who are so disenfranchised and so ignored that their only recourse is to blast a fucking song during a funeral to make their point and make themselves heard. Maybe the kid should have silently protested and gotten on one knee oh wait Colin Kaepernick tried that and still caught hell for it.

I hate this dichotomy that's being brought up. Because I'm not OK with what this kid did at a funeral I don't care about black people? There's a right way to protest and a wrong way to protest. The people who got mad at Kaepernick were being dumb as hell, he protested in a brilliant way. This kid on the other hand? What he did was garbage, and I'm not going to pretend it's OK.

This isn't stopping traffic or mildly inconveniencing people a few people. This is literally blasting music at someone's funeral just to say "fuck you" to the person who died in front of their family. It's not right and it never will be.

I hate this dichotomy that's being brought up. Because I'm not OK with what this kid did at a funeral I don't care about black people? There's a right way to protest and a wrong way to protest. The people who got mad at Kaepernick were being dumb as hell, he protested in a brilliant way. This kid on the other hand? What he did was garbage, and I'm not going to pretend it's OK.

This isn't stopping traffic or mildly inconveniencing people a few people. This is literally blasting music at someone's funeral just to say "fuck you" to the person who died in front of their family. It's not right and it never will be.

If this kid felt that strongly about it, and felt like this was his only outlet, then I don't agree that it was the wrong way to protest. What else is he going to do?

ApharmdX

Banned
I want to tread carefully since I'm coming off of a long ban from the last thing that I said with regards to police in the US. So I don't agree with what the teen did and I think that funerals are sacrosanct. And I work with cops every day. The vast majority of police are good people who do a hard job, and just like everyone else they deserve to come home to their families at the end of their shift.

BUT- a society that has so disenfranchised young POC to such a degree that this is the only way they can have their message heard is some bullshit. America needs to address its fucking issues with police violence against black and brown communities, and with its treatment of minorities in the criminal justice system on the whole.

https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u....f_vicitm_by_race_and_sex_of_offender_2013.xls

Around 93% of black homicides are committed by black people. Racist cops definitely exist and need to be stamped out like the maggots they are, but to think or suggest that all police suppress the black community, or that they are responsible for most black deaths would be misguided. I think to mend black communities we need to look internally (socio- economics and culture) as well as externally (institutionalized racism). Blaming all of the problems on a certain race or type of person is a dangerous path to tread on.

And 83% of white homicides are committed by white people. So your point about what the black community needs is disingenuous.

The most disgusting thing about this story is this quote:

prompting a house call from about 20 officers

Really? It takes 20 professional police officers to ask one kid to turn down some music?

The biggest gang in the world.

Beefy

Read the article, he blasted music from his apartment as the big ass state funeral walked past

All I want is for them to face real consequences when they kill black people and destroy our lives so that they will stop, I don't want them to literally all die and I sure as fuck won't cheer if they get killed off by actual criminals.

is it the job of the police to uphold the law?

if so, then 'doing nothing' when a fellow cop does evil is not doing their job.

if your don't do your job wel, you're bad at it.

if you don't do your job to stop police corruption and injustice, you are a bad cop.

so yeah, it's like 99.99% bad cops out there.

Schattenjäger

Gabriel Knight

On top of that.. she was assasinated while sitting in her car by a cop hater
All signs point to her being a well liked member of the community
I think that point alone makes what this kid did super shitty

Go_Ly_Dow

I keep getting labeled as having right wing agendas on here when even exploring other cause and affects of social issues. I voted to remain in the EU, against the Conservative party with a Labor vote and firmly believe people like Trump are terrible for politics and look forward to him being taken down. I'll calmly leave this thread and apologize to anyone I've agitated with my post.

Goodstyle

Where I think you and others differ is in seeing what this kid did as a "celebration". "Fuck the Police" is a protest song. It's raw, and its visceral but at its core that's what it is.

This is might be where everyone is diverging. If this kid went to the funeral with a megaphone and chanted about how awful the cops have been treating the black community, he would have been doing the right thing. The cops are trying to earn "points" with this woman's death and that's disgusting and someone should have told them that. What this kid did though seemed almost gleeful. I'm getting less "protest" and more "fuck you I'm glad your dead".

I keep getting labeled as having right wing agendas on here when even exploring other cause and affects of social issues. I voted to remain in the EU, against the Conservative party with a Labor vote and firmly believe people like Trump are terrible for politics and look forward to him being taken down. I'll calmly leave this thread and apologize to anyone I've agitated with my post.

I don't know anything about you but your post was straight bullshit. Get some perspective.

Akainu

I get what you're saying but you do miss one key point. Being an officer is still a job that is often supporting a family and your moral high ground of doing the right thing may get you cheers from gaf but it won't pay your morgage if you're let go by internal affairs. The whole situation sucks where both cops and minorities feel like they're risking their lives interacting with the other and our politicians help to empower this sense of fear.
Did you just justify being a criminal as long as you have mouths to feed? Is my sarcasm meter just not good enough?

AntoneM

I respect that. But, because you think it's not OK, do you think it's OK for the police, in force, to approach the kid and the landlord to get the residents kicked out unless there was an apology?

This is might be where everyone is diverging. If this kid went to the funeral with a megaphone and chanted about how awful the cops have been treating the black community, he would have been doing the right thing. The cops are trying to earn "points" with this woman's death and that's disgusting and someone should have told them that. What this kid did though seemed almost gleeful. I'm getting less "protest" and more "fuck you I'm glad your dead".

From the article

Meanwhile, the teen admitted that while he hates cops, he feels bad for Officer Familia,

Don't know what you expected when you jump into a conversation about police accountability with "look, blacks are killing each other the most."

Hope you get some perspective one day.

Kyzer

Banned
Just understand that black on black crime is completely irrelevant to whether or not the police should have oversight and minorities be treated justly, and also that its a talking point that those on the right bring up the same way you did, and also that it seems derogatory because of its irrelevance and placement of blame

Go_Ly_Dow

I don't know anything about you but your post was straight bullshit. Get some perspective.

I just find the absolute total disdain towards the police, men and women who put their lives at risk to serve the public to be wrong. I've seen total blame being put on them multiple times in this thread.

Lundren

Banned
Schattenjäger;243222250 said:
On top of that.. she was assasinated while sitting in her car by a cop hater
All signs point to her being a well liked member of the community
I think that point alone makes what this kid did super shitty

Not illegal, yet they put his name and picture out there for any idiot to come right this wrong.

If he had done that he likely would have been beaten and/or killed, and on top of that people would still say he was out of line. Your very specific ideas of what is good protest and bad protest are irrelevant. Focus on the fact that, in whatever way he could, this kid decided to protest the funeral of a police officer. Focus on why that is. Is it just because he's an asshole, or is it because to some people the "police" are a very different thing than they are to you.

Kyzer

Banned

Bro its a 16 year old kid youre expecting him to be a sage activist but he was basically just like fuck tha police, which is not uncommon for his age. And if he really lost his brother and best friends thats not crazy at all

Jesus Christ Gaf - This is a funeral we are talking about. A person has died and their family is mourning the loss of a loved one.

This is some borderline Westboro Baptist Church shit.

Don't blame the kid if you don't want to but at least call out the horrible action for what it is.

Unbelievable.

condemning the bullying action of 20 armed thugs *is* calling out the horrible action.

Heroman

Banned
https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u....f_vicitm_by_race_and_sex_of_offender_2013.xls

Around 93% of black homicides are committed by black people. Racist cops definitely exist and need to be stamped out like the maggots they are, but to think or suggest that all police suppress the black community, or that they are responsible for most black deaths would be misguided. I think to mend black communities we need to look internally (socio- economics and culture) as well as externally (institutionalized racism). Blaming all of the problems on a certain race or type of person is a dangerous path to tread on.
It as if black people live mostly near other black people.

This story seems fishy to me. The NY Post is a Murdoch owned right-wing rag. If the story is true I doubt they even bothered searching the boy's people's names.

I just hope no family members heard and I fear for this kid's safety.

Dai101

Banned
The most disgusting thing about this story is this quote:

Really? It takes 20 professional police officers to ask one kid to turn down some music?

The biggest gang in the world.

Well, he's a black kid. Obviously those 20 officers were in clear danger if he activated his negro superpowers.

The Kree

Banned
I remember when Eric Garner yelled "I can't breathe" as he was choked to death by a cop in broad daylight on camera. Then people started to wear t-shirts that said "I CAN BREATHE," mocking his death in support of the cop that murdered him.

So right now, I'm just like
fv5RZFV.gif

Beefy

I just find the absolute total disdain towards the police, men and women who put their lives at risk to serve the public to be wrong. I've seen total blame being put on them multiple times in this thread.

Do you follow a lot of American news? Even in the UK we have racism problems with police

It's because you, again, lack perspective. There are some areas of the country where the police are not just the people you call when you've been in a fender bender, or when your house has been broken into. There are some areas of the country where the police very much operate as a militarized, oppressive force, with impunity. If you understand that then maybe you will understand why these attitudes that you find so astonishing and offensive and disrespectfil exist.

Goodstyle

Read the article, he blasted music from his apartment as the big ass state funeral walked past

Still not a great thing to do for a funeral of a cop who was just sitting in her car when she was assassinated.

you don't care.

Yes I fucking do. If you think everyone who doesn't think this was fine literally doesn't care about black people then you need to rethink your approach to discussing social inequality. I'm black, I've dealt with cops, I get it. I just think there are some lines you don't cross, ever.

Bro its a 16 year old kid youre expecting him to be a sage activist but he was basically just like fuck tha police, which is not uncommon for his age. And if he really lost his brother and best friends thats not crazy at all

a 16 year old minority is not a kid, unlike the childlike innocence of a 30 year old Ryan Lochte.

Toxi

Banned
The NYPD deserve absolute total disdain.

When you've seen people die on camera and their killers defended by this shit organization, the very idea of respect is laughable.

Yes I fucking do. If you think everyone who doesn't think this was fine literally doesn't care about black people then you need to rethink your approach to discussing social inequality. I'm black, I've dealt with cops, I get it. I just think there are some lines you don't cross, ever.
you don't care.

Ben Carson is Black too fam.

Schattenjäger

Gabriel Knight
Well, he's a black kid. Obviously those 20 officers were in clear danger if he activated his negro superpowers.
Not that it matters but he looks Latino to me

Please stop spreading misinformation - you could simply read the article before posting

Schattenjäger

Gabriel Knight
This story seems fishy to me. The NY Post is a Murdoch owned right-wing rag. If the story is true I doubt they even bothered searching the boy's people's names.

I just hope no family members heard and I fear for this kid's safety.
Not sure how legit this site is but its also on dailymail uk

Aces&Eights

If my father and brother were kill by a group of people and as they walked past my house in a funeral procession, I would have probably done the same thing. That said, if my daughter was killed in cold blood and I was having a funeral procession for her and someone did that to me, I would go up to their house and beat the shit out of them.

People are emotional and can act out based on life experiences. It can be hypocritical but being human, especially a very emotionally distraught human being often leads to erratic behavior that cannot be controlled easily. Who wouldn't feel the same as this kid? Who wouldn't feel the same as the partner or family member of this cop? Honest question.

it's almost like some people have reasons for judging them so harshly... wonder why!

maybe some people don't feel as protected as others?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom