• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYPD officer shot and killed in unprovoked attack

Imm0rt4l

Being a cop is a thankless job. Which is crazy because when the gun shots start ringing out, their job is to run towards the bullets. Unprovoked attacks like this against police officers is truly the lowest of the low.

Thank you for your service, Miosotis Familia
This post and your av is kinda jarring lol

If the only thing people can do is make up comparisons against each other over race. I don't even see why we allow these negative shooting threads that are far too common. Thought we were cracking down on negative news, better yet, make a shooters bitch thread so they all must go in that thread.

Rip to the woman that was killed for his cause

according to many people who shit their pants at the very thought of getting into a car or going outside and dealing with other human beings face to face, I guess.

holy-sht.gif

Tagyhag

Absolutely horrible, coward couldn't even take his own life so he has to take the life of others.

I'm incredibly ignorant on the subject, but why don't cop cars come with bulletproof windows? Too expensive?

Absolutely horrible, coward couldn't even take his own life so he has to take the life of others.

I'm incredibly ignorant on the subject, but why don't cop cars come with bulletproof windows? Too expensive?

Probably. Police departments are always asking for more funding, and bulletproof windows can't be cheap. Plus if they did get them they'd probably start getting heat for excessive militarization.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Probably. Police departments are always asking for more funding, and bulletproof windows can't be cheap. Plus if they did get them they'd probably start getting heat for excessive militarization.

maybe they should sell the armored tanks, and other military gear to pay for bullet proof glass.

in regard to bullet proof windows, i would assume the glass would be too thick to fit in the window track properly and probably too heavy to be normally operable with the window regulators.

RIP to the officer :(

johnny956

Because it's not worth the cost. There will always be a risk of being a cop and amount of killings due to sitting in a police car is probably a dozen or so in the past 5 years.

Sometimes we tend to forget how fucking dangerous is to be a cop. Literally putting their lives on the line each day. That's what they've signed up for but still.

RIP

I don't forget this fact, police have to deal with all sorts of humanities worst pieces of shit. I'm always grateful for the work they do.

Sometimes we tend to forget how fucking dangerous is to be a cop. Literally putting their lives on the line each day. That's what they've signed up for but still.

RIP

No we don't. Many just don't tend to grant the same level of sympathy to a blatantly racist organization. Atop of that many idiot police unions pushed for a Trump presidency, which, guess what, comes with burying gun control laws even further in the dirt, and with it the bodies of officers who get killed by them.

RIP. Awful shit.

That's gotta be pay for seasonal gig. Probably only hire you on full time from May to September and then either part time the rest of the year or no hours at all.

Not sure where they got that number from, but here's their actual pay structure (source):

STARTING SALARY

Patrol Officer-Un-Certified:
$36,245
Patrol Officer-Certified:
$39,707
PFC Rank:
$41,437

Kin5290

maybe they should sell the armored tanks, and other military gear to pay for bullet proof glass.
Nobody would buy them. Nobody COULD buy them.

The reason why these MRAPs and surplus armored vehicles (including M113 derivatives) are being given away (or sold for pennies on the dollar) to police departments is that the US military has a shitton of them left over from Iraq and Afghanistan and don't have many buyers that can legally accept them. I bet you that it would cost more money to mothball or scrap those vehicles than it would to just give them to PDs and let them handle the costs of operating them.
She was shot inside one of the NYPD's command post vehicles.

This thing:
Yeah, as the name suggests that is not the kind of vehicle that is supposed to be driven anywhere near the bullets. SWAT vehicles may be armored, as well as some police cruisers, since those are used by cops who might reasonably expect to be shot at.

The reason why these MRAPs and surplus armored vehicles (including M113 derivatives) are being given away (or sold for pennies on the dollar) to police departments is that the US military has a shitton of them left over from Iraq and Afghanistan and don't have many buyers that can legally accept them. I bet you that it would cost more money to mothball or scrap those vehicles than it would to just give them to PDs and let them handle the costs of operating them.

Then eat the cost of dumping them. We don't need to be militarizing the police force.

Ovid

I believe the NYPD was the first to be outfitted with this as a result of 9/11.

The smaller cities have no business having that stuff but that's a discussion for another thread.
Yeah, as the name suggests that is not the kind of vehicle that is supposed to be driven anywhere near the bullets. SWAT vehicles may be armored, as well as some police cruisers, since those are used by cops who might reasonably expect to be shot at.
From what I've seen, those vehicles operate in high crime areas or areas that are potential terrorist targets (Times Square).

Oh how sad.

Maybe they'll have to sell their tanks, stop getting police decals with the Punisher logo, and stop killing black men unjustly (and or anybody really in holding cells they keep for inhumane amounts of time, forget which news story it was) so they stop being fucking sued.

Perhaps they can funnel their money into bulletproof glass instead, like you know something more important than a fucking TANK.

:(

ColdPizza

Banned
I was wondering how long it would take GAF to politicize this particular tragedy. 11 posts!

Disgusting. There are plenty of other threads to push that particular agenda . It's completely disrespectful to the officer who was killed and has completely derailed this topic.

I was wondering how long it would take GAF to politicize this particular tragedy. 11 posts!
This thread was going to be a trainwreck from the beginning, the very first post. Now we're onto police militarization like it's nothing.

RIP to her, she didn't deserve this.

You might want to look up the definition of the word before attacking someone for using "big words."

Yes usually done for money but always done for politics and such, and it's a big ass buzz word when he could have just straight up said murder. Which sounds he's just sensationalizing the tragedy.

Oh how sad.

Maybe they'll have to sell their tanks, stop getting police decals with the Punisher logo, and stop killing black men unjustly (and or anybody really in holding cells they keep for inhumane amounts of time, forget which news story it was) so they stop being fucking sued.

Perhaps they can funnel their money into bulletproof glass instead, like you know something more important than a fucking TANK.

:(
I remembering a year or two ago, the NYPD was forming a new counter terrorism force with new armored vehicles and machine guns. If that actually went through, that's where the money to.

neither of those situations are particularly dangerous to the officer involved. The conversation was about danger, not potential psychological damage.

Going into a crack house and taking a dying baby out of the arms of a mother is not dangerous? Arriving on scene and pulling bodies out of a flaming overturned vehicle is also not dangerous?

I couldn't disagree more. But then again, he never had to draw his gun.

Bullet-resistant glass is about an inch thick if you're only wanting to stop a handgun. I think you need to double that if you want to stop a rifle. So I think it has more to do with that then just cost.

Disgusting. There are plenty of other threads to push that particular agenda . It's completely disrespectful to the officer who was killed and has completely derailed this topic.

You think a thread of trite 'RIP' posts on GAF is significant to anyone? Sorry your barometer for respect is so low. Some actually want legislation that would save cops lives, but yeah it's just 'derailing'.

Regardless of what this thread is coming to, Rest in peace to the officer. It's always a terrible feeling when someone loses their life. Especially when they least expect it. I hope that her family finds comfort in these times.

Of course a person that is willing to is willing to die isn't going to care too much about taking others life. They just won't care nor will they feel bad about it most the time.

I wasn't sure if it was stated if her windows were down or not but a lot of people do keep their windows down (I'd assume it's good protocol to keep your windows up on a police car)

There's not an epidemic of cops being killed in their cars. So the investment is large with little 'gain'.

Also bullet proofing vehicles requires more than just installing thick glass. You have to reinforce the door around it, and then car around the door, and by the end you've just got a whole new heavy vehicle that isn't going to be able to meet other demands like pursing lighter vehicles.

Fuck. My condolences to that officers family. All of them.

There's a conversation to be had about everything wrong with policing in the US but this thread shouldn't be the soapbox for that.

Doesn't mean he was paid. Technically it would just mean its politically motivated, which it probably is.

As in following some sort of policy? As opposed to a random shooting or an armed robbery?

Also Myosotis Familia was sitting in a mobile command post. Is that a car?
Or was this in some sort of war zone?

The suspect has already been killed. I'm sure they'll search the internet for any accomplices but in America no help is required to get a gun and shoot a stranger. I think it's best to leave it at state funerals and posthumous honors. Is trying to go to war against the community the best approach? Or would that be to remind everyone that the police is there to protect everyone?

For disclosure, I got 2 cousins in police forces and my wife is black.

Kin5290

I believe the NYPD was the first to be outfitted with this as a result of 9/11.

The smaller cities have no business having that stuff but that's a discussion for another thread.
From what I've seen, those vehicles operate in high crime areas or areas that are potential terrorist targets (Times Square)
Are you talking about mobile command posts or armored vehicles?

As much as police militarization can be a problem, the real problem is how that kind of gear is used, not that police have the gear in the first place. That kind of "militarized" gear, from surplus military style plates and plate carriers to long arms and armored personnel carriers/MRAPs are absolutely 100% necessary to have in case of an emergency. This isn't even because of America's gun culture, because even bolt action rifles that may be legally purchased for hunting purposes can easily punch clean through a beat cop's ballistic vest.

The problem is, of course, that many police departments treat these paramilitary vehicles and equipment as hammers in search of nails.

But really, this whole thing about police militarization doesn't have anything to do with the policewoman who was murdered for just doing her job. It's not even remotely germane.

RIP
Sitting in a van and shit because of that. Can't even imagine.

Not surprised to see the usuals up their tricks in this thread though. So cool to hate cops, even tragically slain ones.

Top Bottom