• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYT: Life and Combat for Republicans at Berkeley

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
On this famously liberal campus, it is easy to dismiss Berkeley Republicans as an oxymoron. Being a Republican at the University of California, Berkeley, is hard, conservative students say, a crucible of ideological combat. Some said they had been mocked, spat on and punched.

The College Republicans made national headlines in recent weeks when the group invited Ann Coulter, the right-wing writer and provocateur, to speak. In February, anarchist protesters had violently broken up a planned speech on campus by the right-wing journalist Milo Yiannopoulos, and the university’s administration and the club haggled over a date and a “protectable” venue for Ms. Coulter; she ended up not coming.

Berkeley’s Republicans have turned the tables on liberals at the campus, championing free speech and putting a conservative claim on one of the university’s proudest liberal legacies. Last month, the group and another conservative student organization sued administrators for what they said was discrimination against conservative speakers. They have co-opted the language of the left, portraying themselves as fighting intolerance.

Naweed Tahmas, 20, political science, Oceanside, Calif., external vice president of the Berkeley College Republicans

We are almost like an exhibit or zoo animals. Whenever someone finds out I’m a Republican at Berkeley, they pick my brain. People are genuinely curious. Nonetheless, their image of a white, male Republican is shattered when they see me. [Mr. Tahmas is of Persian descent.]

As a Republican on campus I am targeted frequently. I have been spit on on several occasions. I have had drinks thrown on me. I have been punched in the face.

Anastasia Pyrinis, 18, political science and economics, Thousand Oaks, Calif.

My very first day of class we were talking about our backgrounds in political science, and one student said, “We are all liberals in this class, right?” Most of the class was laughing or smiling, but I felt a little alienated. I kind of kept quiet.

I consider myself fiscally conservative and socially moderate. I believe in more limited social welfare programs, a flat tax rate.

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/05/....html?smid=tw-nytimes&smtyp=cur&_r=0&referer=

More quotes about the sudden discovery by Republicans of institutional discrimination at the link.

Tagyhag

We are almost like an exhibit or zoo animals. Whenever someone finds out I’m a Republican at Berkeley, they pick my brain. People are genuinely curious. Nonetheless, their image of a white, male Republican is shattered when they see me. [Mr. Tahmas is of Persian descent.]

He says that but I wouldn't be surprised if he internally considers himself white. Poor bastard probably thinks Republicans view him as an equal. Reminds me of Jontron.

Nevertheless, he shouldn't be getting randomly punched or spat on just because he's a Republican.

Permanently A

3e3.gif

He says that but I wouldn't be surprised if he internally considers himself white. Poor bastard probably thinks Republicans view him as an equal. Reminds me of Jontron.

Nevertheless, he shouldn't be getting randomly punched or spat on just because he's a Republican.
I'm not up on current race theory but aren't Persians and Afgans white?

there's a difference between merely identifying as a republican and actually being a trump supporter though

small government club? sounds okay

donald trump fan club? prepare pitchforks

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Well they're free to keep spouting their nonsense and everyone else is free to shout them and their bull shit down. Amazing how that free speech thing works.

Ozigizo

"Berkeley’s Republicans have turned the tables on liberals at the campus, championing free speech and putting a conservative claim on one of the university’s proudest liberal legacies. Last month, the group and another conservative student organization sued administrators for what they said was discrimination against conservative speakers. They have co-opted the language of the left, portraying themselves as fighting intolerance."

Lol. The good ol' tolerate my intolerance argument.

That feeling when your free speech is so oppressed because you're a Republican at Berkeley but the New York Times is giving you interviews and photos in their paper.

Well they're free to keep spouting their nonsense and everyone else is free to shout them and their bull shit down. Amazing how that free speech thing works.

The article is talking about them getting spit on and drinks being spilled upon them though. It's not free speech.

Zips

Without context we have no idea if he was espousing hateful ideas at the time of those incidents, or just walking along or what.

The are trying to present themselves as victims, which is ridiculous when you think about how they are fighting for 'free speech' to spread hateful ideas and prejudice. Just look at who they've been trying to get as guest speakers.

hawk2025

The running theme of these interviews is that it's not about free speech at all.

The stated objective of the club, as I'm sure everyone guessed, is simply to rile people up.

Btw, flat tax girl needs to keep listening to her Economics classes.

HStallion

The article is talking about them getting spit on and drinks being spilled upon them though. It's not free speech.

Welcome to the real world. You think people protesting against their bull shit haven't gotten the same thing else where in the country?

Squire

Banned
there's a difference between merely identifying as a republican and actually being a trump supporter though

small government club? sounds okay

donald trump fan club? prepare pitchforks

The party is cozying up to fascists and nazis. They just spent today trying to obfuscate an investigation into an official that very obviously committed treason on some level.

I'd look at my classmates like they're nuts, too.

How about try going to a school that isn't very liberal? UC schools are pretty liberal, so I'm not surprised that they're having a tough time. Show the others what you stand for. If they stand for Republican values which don't involve bigotry, xenophobia, tax breaks for the wealthy, or friendliness for big corporations and don't deny Climate Change, then I think they'll be fine. But if you're a Trump supporting Republican, then too bad, dealwithit.gif

Turns out if confuses people if you're voting for genuinely evil people that are doing everything in their power to fuck over poor people, women, people of colour, sick people, lgbt,... and any combination thereof.

"Berkeley's Republicans have turned the tables on liberals at the campus, championing free speech and putting a conservative claim on one of the university's proudest liberal legacies. Last month, the group and another conservative student organization sued administrators for what they said was discrimination against conservative speakers. They have co-opted the language of the left, portraying themselves as fighting intolerance."

Lol. The good ol' tolerate my intolerance argument.

The conservative version of "MUH FREE SPEECH" is so fucking headache inducing.

Also man I know NYT isn't a liberal publication but man they've been taking Ls on their op-eds/columns lately.

I consider myself fiscally conservative and socially moderate. I believe in more limited social welfare programs, a flat tax rate.

What is he doing on a college campus then?

Does he not realize that education is social welfare in and of itself? It's a redistribution of intellectual wealth. Why does he feel entitled to the knowledge gained by the blood, sweat, and toil of others' hard work?

Debirudog

As a Republican on campus I am targeted frequently. I have been spit on on several occasions. I have had drinks thrown on me. I have been punched in the face.
Pretty sure this is bullshit.

Veitsev

The guy carries around a binder "President Trump's Policies for the American People". I am sure he is just a kind quiet guy not trying to push his shitty values on others.

Ogodei

They've deliberately created an unsafe environment on campus. University should expel the club leadership of College Republicans.

Debirudog

Our college newspaper sorta had a similar article trying to sympathize college republicans and portraying the left as intolerant. I'm sick of the sentiment.

Deepwater

"I hate poor people, but I don't want to straight out lynch them"

The guy carries around a binder "President Trump's Policies for the American People". I am sure he is just a kind quiet guy not trying to push his shitty values on others.

I mean they're the intellectual equivalent of ambulance chasers who go around provoking and playing the victim until they get a reaction so they can whine about how oppressed they are for being innocent Republicans.

JordanN

Banned
I just see Republicans on the wrong side of history. No apology about it. How can you say this?
People assume we are racist, we are xenophobic. They attach labels to us that are not true.
but then lead to up this?
For Republicans in the club, it's all pro-Trump. I have yet to meet a member of the Berkeley College Republicans who is against Trump.

You support Trump, that's your label for life. If I wanted to believe Republicans are a force for good, why was he allowed to advance past the primaries and into the presidency?

The blood is on their hands, stop complaining while ignoring the damage this man does everyday.

Seems like they weren't preaching anything at first, they just are fiscal conservatives. That shouldn't warrant bullying, but whatever I guess once pack mentality starts people get gassed up and start throwing punches.

Childish behavior but when rolling in a pack you feel invincible, that's why these protests work so well in theory. You're reminded you are all there for the same cause, safety in numbers, strength in numbers. It's a beautiful and empowering feeling.

But sometimes people get carried away and act like knuckleheads. You're not entitled to punch someone just because they are not liberal. I hope this guy at least fought back. But I'm guessing he didn't and the bullying continued.

Edit: never mind, he is a trump supporter, I still don't think he should get beat up, but yeah, you're just asking to be ridiculed with a trapper keeper like that. I don't know any conservatives or Republicans that actually like trump.

HStallion

It sounds like you are justifying violent and belligerent behavior, which I fundamentally disagree with.

I'm for punching Nazis so you should probably just ignore me. And no I'm not calling these out right Nazis. Shitty people certainly.

HStallion

Seems like they weren't preaching anything at first, they just are fiscal conservatives. That shouldn't warrant bullying, but whatever I guess once pack mentality starts people get gassed up and start throwing punches.

Childish behavior but when rolling in a pack you feel invincible, that's why these protests work so well in theory. You're reminded you are all there for the same cause, safety in numbers, strength in numbers. It's a beautiful and empowering feeling.

But sometimes people get carried away and act like knuckleheads. You're not entitled to punch someone just because they are not liberal. I hope this guy at least fought back. But I'm guessing he didn't and the bullying continued.

When you're stanning for people like fucking Milo I think you probably get what you deserve.

So how long until certain posters start flooding this thread to defend conservatives that are inviting jackasses like Milo and Coulter?

Top Bottom