• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYT: Push for Gender Equality in Tech? Some Men Say It’s Gone Too Far

Aizo

Banned
Their complaints flow on Reddit forums, on video game message boards, on private Facebook pages and across Twitter. They argue for everything from male separatism to an end to gender diversity efforts.

Silicon Valley has for years accommodated a fringe element of men who say women are ruining the tech world.

Now, as the nation's technology capital — long identified as one of the more hostile work environments for women — reels from a series of high-profile sexual harassment and discrimination scandals, these conversations are gaining broader traction.
”It's a witch hunt," he (James Altizer, an engineer at the chip maker Nvidia) said in a phone interview, contending men are being fired by ”dangerous" human resources departments. ”I'm sitting in a soundproof booth right now because I'm afraid someone will hear me. When you're discussing gender issues, it's almost religious, the response. It's almost zealotry."
It goes on to mention the recent case with James Damore being fired from Google.
Mr. Damore filed a labor complaint against Google in August and said more than 20 people had reached out about joining together for a class-action suit about systemic discrimination against men. He is represented by Harmeet Dhillon, a local firebrand lawyer.

”It's become fashionable in Silicon Valley for people like James, a white man, to be put into a category of less desirable for promotion and advancement," Ms. Dhillon said. ”Some companies have hiring goals like ‘We'll give you a bonus if you're a hiring manager and you hire 70 percent women to this organization.' That's illegal."

One radical fringe that is growing is Mgtow, which stands for Men Going Their Own Way and pronounced MIG-tow. Mgtow aims for total male separatism, including forgoing children, avoiding marriage and limiting involvement with women. Its message boards are brimming with activity from Silicon Valley, Mr. Altizer said.

Cassie Jaye, who lives in Marin and made a documentary about the men's rights movement called ”The Red Pill," said that the tech world and the men's rights community had ”snowballed" together and that the rise in the number of people in Mgtow is new.

On the Mgtow message boards, members discuss work (”Ever work for a woman? Roll up your sleeves and share your horror story"), technology (”The stuff girlfriends and wives can't stand — computers, games, consoles") and dating (mostly best practices to avoid commitment).
These men are pathetic.
Full article

Exile me to male separatist society if old.

cdyhybrid

Y248Ntg.jpg

Silicon Valley is sounding more and more like hell all the time. Full of a bunch of very sad individuals. I really hope it's mostly a niche, but it's sounding like a larger group of people all the time.

Platy

man isolate thenselves and don't work well with everyone on their workplace and wonders why he isn't being promoted.

group activities are like 11/10 on human resources and bosses

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
These are dummies who are bad for their companies.

It's not just about being inclusive for moral reasons. Software greatly improves with a more diverse set of engineers and designers shaping it.

D i Z

Let em burn. Can't get right? Get moved along instead. Fuck em, and let better people in.
Really fucking sick of this male dungeon dwelling atmosphere that is sacred to no one of consequence being lorded over everyone else.
We need to shed these idiots that simply can not grow up.

Replicant

Anecdotal evidence, obvs, but I've been weirded out to find out in the past few years that the ones who are more supportive of woman's right and LGBTQ issues (SSM) IME have been the kind of men I'd considered 'jocks', not obnoxious ones but the ones who are physically fit, socially outgoing types.

Mortemis

Banned
Bunch of pathetic fucks. Things aren't even close to 50/50 are they? They're crying about a small percentage change.

Anecdotal evidence, obvs, but I've been weirded out to find out in the past few years that the ones who are more supportive of woman's right and LGBTQ issues (SSM) IME have been the kind of men I'd considered 'jocks', not obnoxious ones but the ones who are physically fit, socially outgoing types.

Not really. Jocks have actually gotten with women so they're much more likely to mature on their views of women by being around and interacting with women. Where as nerds tend to avoid women (and turn around and blame that on women) so their views of women will only grow more toxic as they get older.

Obviously this all going by the stereotypes of both groups, in reality there are obviously going to be jocks whose views of women get ever more toxic as they get older and "nerds" whose get better as they get older.

D i Z

The campaign against the physically enabled has been over for a long time. "Jocks" ie, people with social skills and a liking for physical activity were never holding anyone down as a movement. The push back by the socially inept was always an excuse, and a poor one at that.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Not really. Jocks have actually gotten with women so they're much more likely to mature on their views of women by being around and interacting with women. Where as nerds tend to avoid women (and turn around and blame that on women) so their views of women will only grow more toxic as they get older.

Obviously this all going by the stereotypes of both groups, in reality there are obviously going to be jocks whose views of women get ever more toxic as they get older and "nerds" whose get better as they get older.

Yeah this sounds about right

Ceej

lolol fuck me for wanting to go to work and be taken seriously as a peer based on my abilities and not my vagina. Fuck these insecure losers. Fuck all of them. Adapt.

Chmpocalypse

Blizzard
Let em burn. Can't get right? Get moved along instead. Fuck em, and let better people in.
Really fucking sick of this male dungeon dwelling atmosphere that is sacred to no one of consequence being lorded over everyone else.
We need to shed these idiots that simply can not grow up.

Fucking this right here

Valhelm

contribute something
what are you doing NYT

everybody knows tech is full of reactionary shitheads and amplifying their bullshit doesn't make it easier to contain and overpower them

Guys will definitely have to step up their game now going into tech industry but so does everyone else in the job market.

Not sure if that bonus statement is something they made up.

KevinRo

These are dummies who are bad for their companies.

It's not just about being inclusive for moral reasons. Software greatly improves with a more diverse set of engineers and designers shaping it.

I don't care if you're the second coming, if you get your work DONE that's all that matters.

And the thoughts of the people in the article come from people with too much time on their hands and the result of a poor life.

le.phat

How can equality go too far you shit eels. MIG-tow sounds amazing tho. I used to frequent PUA boards for the schadenfreude but nobody takes those clowns serious anymore. These new boards sound like a lootcave tho. Anyone got a link?

Painguy

Lmao wtf is a Migtow? And why are they talking about the matrix? As long as I can say "You guys" w/o getting lectured im good.

Jocks have one thing that nerds don't: A social life with women.

wisdom0wl

The campaign against the physically enabled has been over for a long time. "Jocks" ie, people with social skills and a liking for physical activity were never holding anyone down as a movement. The push back by the socially inept was always an excuse, and a poor one at that.

Preach

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
One radical fringe that is growing is Mgtow, which stands for Men Going Their Own Way and pronounced MIG-tow. Mgtow aims for total male separatism, including forgoing children, avoiding marriage and limiting involvement with women. Its message boards are brimming with activity from Silicon Valley, Mr. Altizer said.
I'm going to assume their "total male separatism" is some Donald Trump-esque "you can't reject me because I didn't even want to get involved with you in the first place" shit.

le.phat

Just found /MGTOW on Reddit. Of course 90% of the comments are about sex, and how they are missing out because reasons. This is just different flavour of frustrated virgins mixed with a dash of internet echo Chambers. How quaint.

Instro

On the Mgtow message boards, members discuss work (“Ever work for a woman? Roll up your sleeves and share your horror story”)

I have worked for women, I have no horror stories. I have horror stories of the men I have worked though lol.

Not

Banned
Why do "some men" keep getting these platforms?

Mgtow aims for total male separatism, including forgoing children, avoiding marriage and limiting involvement with women

Ok, bye. Thanks for stopping by existence.

It's always the same garbage people showing up in these articles. I honestly don't get why people are still talking to them.

Man, I wish I could get some cool photos of myself in the NYT for being a bigot. For a group of people always claiming to be silenced they sure do show up in mainstream media fucking constantly.

cdyhybrid

It's always the same garbage people showing up in these articles. I honestly don't get why people are still talking to them.

Man, I wish I could get some cool photos of myself in the NYT for being a bigot. For a group of people always claiming to be silenced they sure do show up in mainstream media fucking constantly.

NYT just can't help themselves. Gotta give the deplorables their shine.

Simplet

I'm reading this article and it seems to me to be part socially regressive attitudes and part "collective bargaining" of a sort.

Obviously the nonsense about living separately from women is idiotic bullshit but it seems that some of those men are losing opportunities to women and trying to organize a response.

I'm not saying they should necessarily win these fights but I don't understand why they should be denied the chance to lobby for their own interests,

le.phat

I'm reading this article and it seems to me to be part socially regressive attitudes and part "collective bargaining" of a sort.

Obviously the nonsense about living separately from women is idiotic bullshit but it seems that some of those men are losing opportunities to women and trying to organize a response.

I'm not saying they should necessarily win these fights but I don't understand why they should be denied the chance to lobby for their own interests,

They're not denied anything. 'Cept getting laid.

Not

Banned

Because anyone who understands what life is like to be a woman in a male-dominated industry for 1.5 seconds knows that men's interests are met, and met, and met some more.

This isn't a legitimate grievance. It's just misogyny.

Top Bottom