• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oakland BART takeover robbery: 50 to 60 teens swarm train, rob weekend riders

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dalek

BART takeover robbery: 50 to 60 teens swarm train, rob weekend riders

A recent string of robberies on BART trains took a frightening turn when dozens of juveniles swarmed an Oakland station over the weekend and commandeered a train car, forcing passengers to hand over bags and cell phones and leaving at least two with head injuries, witnesses told the transit agency.

BART did not immediately publicize the incident — the first of its kind in recent memory — after it occurred around 9:30 p.m. Saturday at Coliseum Station.

But according to a police summary reviewed by The Chronicle, witnesses said 50 to 60 juveniles flooded the station, jumped the fare gates and rushed to the second-story train platform. Some of the robbers apparently held open the doors of a Dublin-bound train car while others streamed inside, confronting and robbing and in some cases beating riders.

The juveniles “committed multiple strong-arm robberies of bags and cell phones,” said the summary. “At least two victims suffered head/facial injuries requiring medical attention.” Police did not say if any of the suspects were armed, or describe exactly how the passengers were wounded.

The attack was quick, police reported, and the teenagers were able to retreat from the station and vanish into the surrounding East Oakland neighborhood before BART officers could respond. The train that was hit was held for about 15 minutes as authorities investigated the crime and tended to the injured.

BART spokeswoman Alicia Trost acknowledged Monday morning that the robbery took place, but said she wanted to get more information from police before commenting in more detail.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Is San Fransisco turning into 70's New York? The Warriors remake in the bay area?

Matty77

I remember when they used to do those sort of swarm hijackings in the eighties. Not on a subway though usually in shopping malls or shop sections in the city.

Indie rapper Thirsten Howl the 3rd rapped a lot about it, stole a lot of polo shit.

WiseguyMVP

Is San Fransisco turning into 70's New York? The Warriors remake in the bay area?

5e109d5cf664c4aa478618ef2dff4797.jpg

Tagyhag

I've always been kinda worried about this whenever I took the red line in LA, but then I figured nothing like this could realistically happen.

Guess I was wrong...

norm9

Frightening. Hope you get a non violent teen that just wants to rob you and not one that'll injure you too.

Thankfully no one tried to play hero and started shooting on the train or this could've been worse.

Where the hell was their station PD?

forms

To be honest, western civilization is pretty much fucked by now. The only "simple" solution is horrible, more cameras, more guards, more guns.

jombag

Was planning on riding bart to union square from our hotel this weekend. Not anymore. Uber it is then.

Tagyhag

How the hell do you organize 50 teenagers to rob a train? What the hell?

So weird.

A gang? Or poor teens discontent with the wage gap?

It's only going to get worse in SF as the place gets more and more expensive and gentrified.

Dalek

the fuck is this bullshit

I assume they have video of this?

As shitty as BART is-I'm willing to bet that the cameras on the train are there for show. I worked retail when I was younger and we had "Security" cameras in the store but they weren't hooked up to anything because the store didn't want to pay for the recording equipment.

I was on a train years ago heading to a place called Bray in Southern Ireland with my then GF.

All of the stops along that line are generally very quite, small tourist areas on the coast.

Suddenly at the next stop, I'd say 10-15 lads jumped on and lifted all the old newspapers from the seats, rolled them up and began battling each other.

They were not attacking anyone else, however they were not being careful with whom they ran past or jumped across to escape a hit etc.

It was coming up to the next stop, and I lost my patience. I waited purposefully for the biggest of them to run towards my direction, left my foot out and tripped him. He went flying, I went over to him, lifted him from the floor and threw him out the door

Needless to say the rest of his friends made a hasty exit.

Dalek

I was on a train years ago heading to a place called Bray in Southern Ireland with my then GF.

All of the stops along that line are generally very quite, small tourist areas on the coast.

Suddenly at the next stop, I'd say 10-15 lads jumped on and lifted all the old newspapers from the seats, rolled them up and began battling each other.

They were not attacking anyone else, however they were not being careful with whom they ran past or jumped across to escape a hit etc.

It was coming up to the next stop, and I lost my patience. I waited purposefully for the biggest of them to run towards my direction, left my foot out and tripped him. He went flying, I went over to him, lifted him from the floor and threw him out the door

Needless to say the rest of his friends made a hasty exit.

giphy.gif

Rootbeer

Banned
ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME

As a frequent BART rider... this shit is terrifying.

I used to carry pepper spray around but in recent years I've felt a lot more comfortable. But you can't just spray 1 or 2 of them if there's dozens... the others are gonna gang up on you.

BART needs to get its security in check. There used to be a time where I'd actually see BART police somewhat regularly... it's super, super rare to see them on the trains anymore.
The incident is likely to present a challenge for BART, which hired a new police chief last week. The agency has struggled to contain fare evaders, and is in the midst of installing surveillance cameras in train cars after The Chronicle reported that most of the existing cameras were decoys.
Decoys... you cheap fucks... makes my blood boil

BART acts like it cares so much about security... they actually closed down every restroom in all of their stations due to 'security concerns' because they are so afraid someone is going to prepare a bomb in there. The reality is they don't want to maintain the restrooms for customers. And here we have a REAL example of a high-profile security incident... they better respond in kind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom