• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oakland BART takeover robbery: 50 to 60 teens swarm train, rob weekend riders

Status
Not open for further replies.

JZA

For once, I'd like to see in the news what happens when a perpetrator of a petty crime like this actually runs into a violent perpetrator of organized crime.

For once, I'd like to see in the news what happens when a perpetrator of a petty crime like this actually runs into a violent perpetrator of organized crime.

But isn't the violent perpetrator of organized crime probably a bigger menace to society?

Parch

Aren't you an older guy or am I thinking of someone else (the avatar)? I only ask because this kind of behavior was rampant back in the late 70's and early to mid eighties.
Yeah, I am and it was. Even in Canada. It was mostly just individual attacks and some time the swarmers were really young. Like unarmed 12 and 13 year olds knocking down and attacking an old person. It was really maddening because they thought it was so cool to sucker punch a defenseless guy for a few bucks in his wallet.

JZA

But isn't the violent perpetrator of organized crime probably a bigger menace to society?

I was just saying it in the context of, eventually a petty crime will be committed against somebody who's extremely well-connected, and the outcome would be entertaining.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Or you know, teens being straight up assholes. Which is a thing they do in every country, from time to time. White ones. poor ones. Rich ones.

Can confirm. Grew up with rich kids and lower middle class kids.

Petty theft was basically a fun way to spend an afternoon for some kids. Didn't need anything they stole.

Might not be the case with these kids but I also wouldn't be surprised if they just did it for the thrill.

I'm just trying to figure out how this hasn't been in any of my news feeds. This just has crazy clickbait headline written all over it, every news organization should be lapping this up like a bunch of depraved kittens.

Can confirm. Grew up with rich kids and lower middle class kids.

Petty theft was basically a fun way to spend an afternoon for some kids. Didn't need anything they stole.

Might not be the case with these kids but I also wouldn't be surprised if they just did it for the thrill.

I'm pretty sure these were inner city kids who can't visualize a future for themselves beyond their mid-late 20's.

Bart is probably the worst of the worst. It was designed and installed with a proprietary track and loading gauge, so it cannot use off-the-shelf components. For... Reasons...

But the main problem is in Democratic states transit is typically well funded, but they do not negotiate against labor.

In Republican states transit is typically poorly funded, but the do negotiate against labor.

Ah of course it's the workers who are to blame! God forbid vital work is done by professionals that are compensated fairly for their work.

The second avenue subway is largely to do geography and a start and stops

I fear what will happen when there's no malls, shops or gas stations to steal from. Home invasions, attacks to delivery drivers and muggings will go up.

Bunch of scumbags, robbing stores is one thing but robbing people taking the train is just fucked up. Somebody is gonna end up shot for sure.

Tagyhag

Or you know, teens being straight up assholes. Which is a thing they do in every country, from time to time. White ones. poor ones. Rich ones.

Oakland used to be way more dangerous in the 70s and 80s, btw.

Could be, but how many groups of 50 kids do you know that are thieving/assaulting assholes that aren't in some type of gang?

Gallbaro

Banned
Ah of course it's the workers who are to blame! God forbid vital work is done by professionals that are compensated fairly for their work.

The second avenue subway is largely to do geography and a start and stops

Nope lol. London's Crossrail is far more difficult and technologically impressive than anything NYC has done.

And I am not complaining about wages, but rather work rules that politicians refuse to negotiate away.

Second, the city must be more realistic about labor costs. In New York, because of both state and federal laws, a basic laborer earns $79.63 an hour, including benefits; an ironworker earns $96.69. These are hard jobs to do, and merit good pay. But union rules keep productivity low. New York requires twice as many to five times as many workers on a tunnel-boring machine compared to non-union states and European countries.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articl...just-three-subway-stops-in-new-york-city.html

But there is the inexcusable fact that the unions are racist as fuck.

I remember when they did this kinda shit in Hollywood a few years back. Basically a swarm of teens appeared on the boulevard, basically smash grabbed from many stores, grabbed purses and jewelry off sightseers, roughed up and knocked down some that resisted, then they disappeared via the surrounding streets like they were never there.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Could be, but how many groups of 50 kids do you know that are thieving/assaulting assholes that aren't in some type of gang?

Sports fans anywhere in the world. High schools anywhere in the world. People coming out fo a concert, anywhere in the world. Mobs can form trivially.

jWILL253

Banned
Some of y'all in this thread that are so hype up on the possibilities of killing teenagers tryin'a rob you...

Y'all prolly the biggest marks in the room.

I'd whup a kid's ass trying to rob me.

tumblr_mw6viz8kXJ1qzpxm3o1_500.jpg

Dalek

According to CNN...

In a statement, BART said it's working with other agencies to bring the juveniles to justice.

"We have created additional overtime shifts for officers who will be visibly patrolling stations, and video is being pulled from both the train cars and station cameras. Our investigators will be distributing the footage among local law enforcement agencies as well as school districts, where we have had previous success in arresting juveniles who commit crimes on BART."

BART said it's not releasing video footage to the public because of the youths appeared to be juveniles.

The transit agency added that overall crime on BART has been declining "and we want to stress that this robbery is neither reflective of the safety of our system nor of public transportation generally. We strive to provide a safe place for our passengers, and condemn this unprecedented, unacceptable, violent behavior in the strongest of terms."
In its statement, BART also said it's working diligently to reduce the likelihood of this type of crime occurring again.

Oh believe me-I'm not suprised in the least that BART has agreed to log overtime hours.

Dalek

BART makes first arrest in teen takeover robbery as police declare ‘emergency’

BART investigators have made their first arrest in connection with last Saturday evening’s takeover robbery by dozens of juveniles who mobbed a train at Coliseum Station in Oakland, officials said Friday.

The arrest of a male juvenile took place around 12:30 p.m. Friday, said Jeffrey Jennings, BART’s acting police chief. No details were released about where the arrest took place or where the suspect lives.

“More warrants for multiple identified suspects on the way,” BART said in a tweet announcing the initial arrest.

The arrest came a day after Jennings declared an rare state of emergency for his department in response to a rise in robberies and other crimes on BART. Such declarations have typically happened in the past during protests, not amid crime concerns.

Under the declaration, BART officers must work mandatory overtime and cannot take discretionary time off.

In the mob robbery, BART said, at least 40 juveniles jumped the fare gates and rushed aboard at least two cars of a Dublin-bound train at Coliseum Station shortly before 9:30 p.m. Some members of the group held doors open, stalling the train, while others ran through cars and some robbed and assaulted passengers.

By the time BART police arrived, five minutes after the initial call for help from the station, the youths had already scattered.

Overall, crime was up on BART by roughly 22 percent in the first three months of 2017 compared to the same period last year, Jennings told the BART board of directors on Thursday at an unusual evening meeting. Much of the spike involved the theft of cell phones and other electronic devices.

The rise comes despite a drop so far in 2017 in car break-ins, as well as automobile and bicycle thefts, Jennings said. It also reverses three years of declining crime rates.

Rootbeer

Banned
Bumping because there's been another one of these attacks.

Thankfully an off-duty security guard saved the day this time.

For the second time in three months, a large group of teenagers committed a violent robbery at BART's Coliseum Station in Oakland, snatching a phone from a woman and then punching and kicking a 62-year-old passenger who chased them and demanded the return of the device, police and witnesses said.

The latest attack — which occurred during the evening commute Friday — had a more positive ending than the first one. The rider who took action wasn't badly hurt and managed to retrieve the iPhone 7 for the victim, while at least 10 fleeing juveniles were intercepted by a special BART team dedicated to fighting robberies on the transit system.

This bit got me though:

After a mob of teens robbed and beat riders at the same station on April 22, BART did not immediately announce what had happened, even though the agency communicates with customers in a number of ways, including a website, an app, email alerts, a Facebook account and Twitter feeds. The Chronicle was first to report the robbery two days later.

At that time, BART pointed out that a summary of the incident had appeared in a daily crime log available to reporters over email. After that, media outlets began paying more attention to the logs and reporting the crimes listed on them. A month ago, the agency stopped producing and sharing the logs.

They are really doing their damnest to cover this shit up, aren't they?

Full article here

The Llama

These things happen here in Philly every so often, usually right after school gets out for the day. Don't remember anything quite like a mass robbery, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom