• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oakland BART takeover robbery: 50 to 60 teens swarm train, rob weekend riders

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds like another Bernard Goetz incident in the making to be honest.

this was my first thought as well...if it wasn't for CA and its strict gun laws, this kind of shit will end in some passenger "taking matters into his own hands." It still may come to that, it'll just be less impulsive. If this were Texas, I'd predict multiple shots fired. :(

BigBeauford

Well I think he is implying that the increasing cost of living and income inequality is forcing these people to theft. Now these people will likely use the force of the police to try and suppress the revolutions of the proletariat. If those are the optics he was going for.

If these are truly "teens", I don't understand how cost of living would impact their decision to rob and assault people. Is suggesting a part time job, extra-curricular school activities, or community involvement appropriate?

dave is ok

aztek is ok
I know times are tough for everyone, but anyone who is 100% preoccupied with their own little lives is partially to blame for this (including many who got robbed, I'm sure).
How are they to blame? For picking the wrong train?

Well I think he is implying that the increasing cost of living and income inequality is forcing these people to theft. Now these people will likely use the force of the police to try and suppress the revolutions of the proletariat. If those are the optics he was going for.
These are people riding public transportation. I doubt they are on the wealthy side of the inequality equation.

That's a stretch. I get that SF is out-of-control w.r.t. to housing/living costs...but wasn't this a train headed to Oakland, wouldn't this sentiment actually be hurting the people who are not SF'ians?

Scary. BART needs to get their shit together. I can't think of the last time I've actually seen a BART officer on a train outside of some event like Pride or on the very last train of the night. They could start buy actually installing real cameras and having a presence during the day/evening.

That's a stretch. I get that SF is out-of-control w.r.t. to housing/living costs...but wasn't this a train headed to Oakland, wouldn't this sentiment actually be hurting the people who are not SF'ians?

I don't agree with the guy at all, but SF is driving up prices in the entire Bay Area. Why live in The City when you can get more for your millions somewhere you "believe" is slightly better to raise a family? Oakland and the surrounding areas are getting mad expensive also. I really don't think these people cared who they were robbing lol

BigBeauford

Is this a serious question?

It is. I played 2 sports all through my teens, and worked at a fast food joint on the weekends all through my teenage years. I would disagree if you are suggesting that I am making some kind of bootstrapping argument to teens who have time to make this kind of trouble.

This was a weekend train heading from the A's stadium to an affluent suburb. I live here and the fuck you, got mine attitude is pretty prevalent. I don't think anyone deserves to be robbed, but the older professionals who are property owners here are completely blind to the suffering of others and to the way the world is changing. It is a major problem that will be addressed one way or another, eventually.

Afrikan

Social media. FB Messenger, WhatsApp.

yup and they should all be easily caught... and made examples of.

Bitchass/dumbass teens.

What's funny is, with so many of them... even a higher chance some will crack under pressure and snitch everyone else out.

So fucking stupid. Probably shitting bricks at home.

Parch

“Large groups of people, sometimes as many as 10 or 12, would enter an establishment with booster bags in their hands and just brazenly grab as much merchandise as they possibly could and run out the door,”
Store swarms sound like the new fad. Maybe one or two get caught while the rest run.

The old school individual attacks would be 4 or 5 on the street and usually target one vulnerable victim like an elderly. Too chicken shit to attack somebody who might fight back.

This was a weekend train heading from the A's stadium to an affluent suburb. I live here and the fuck you, got mine attitude is pretty prevalent. I don't think anyone deserves to be robbed, but the older professionals who are property owners here are completely blind to the suffering of others and to the way the world is changing. It is a major problem that will be addressed one way or another, eventually.

Now see this post is significantly better than your original. I see your perspective much better. It's still wrong to blame the victims (e.g., you don't know if 100% of the people robbed fit your bourgeoisie description). I think this is the wrong way this will get settled...stealing pocket change from uber-rich urbanites is an inconvenience at best. They'll ultimately be unaffected. Someone is going to die (some ones have already been hurt), and more than likely laws and statutes will be enacted that end up hurting those that benefit from public transit the most. If you're in the area, and I'm not an "organize" kind of guy, but I urge you (if you haven't already) to support candidates at the local level that can reverse/change some of the things (though I admit out of my own ignorance, that may be too late). Regardless, this isn't going to "solve" anything in the end. Stay strong.

Kerensky

Banned

They have picked their turf carefully I see. Most richer middle aged people have rolexes or maybe even pateks. And all of them should have a phone and a nice selection of creditcards to pilfer.

They put some thought behind this, thats for sure!

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Store swarms sound like the new fad. Maybe one or two get caught while the rest run.

The old school individual attacks would be 4 or 5 on the street and usually target one vulnerable victim like an elderly. Too chicken shit to attack somebody who might fight back.

Nothing new about store swarms. They happened when I was in high school in the early 2000s. I'm sure they happened earlier too.

They might be more common nowadays because they're easier to organize. Of course most of those methods of organization leave a paper trail so there's that downside these idiots probably don't consider.

They have picked their turf carefully I see. Most richer middle aged people have rolexes or maybe even pateks. And all of them should have a phone and a nice selection of creditcards to pilfer.

They put some thought behind this, thats for sure!

Smartphones and designer handbags were probably the big scores.

I had two teens hold a gun to my neck in Oakland. I held my hands up and told them to take my phone out of my hand and my wallet out of my pocket. After they took off, I ran back to my apartment and cried.

Sounds awful, sorry you had to experience that shit. Stay strong!

Matty77

Aren't you an older guy or am I thinking of someone else (the avatar)? I only ask because this kind of behavior was rampant back in the late 70's and early to mid eighties, and has been referenced in everything from rap like I mentioned to the end of the first Scary Movie.

I remember back when I read the source before Benzino went off his rocker they had a in depth article about some the gangs that used to run these scams all the time.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
A gang? Or poor teens discontent with the wage gap?

It's only going to get worse in SF as the place gets more and more expensive and gentrified.

Or you know, teens being straight up assholes. Which is a thing they do in every country, from time to time. White ones. poor ones. Rich ones.

Oakland used to be way more dangerous in the 70s and 80s, btw.

Ah yes, you and your handgun against 60 frenzied 16 to 18 year olds. You're making shit worse.

On a crowded train no less.
Don't start none and there won't be none. Few of these trashy teens take a dirt nap and I doubt the rest will want to stay around and see who is next. But do that in cali and your ass gets sued to oblivion.

Don't start none and there won't be none. Few of these trashy teens take a dirt nap and I doubt the rest will want to stay around and see who is next. But do that in cali and your ass gets sued to oblivion.

raw

Afrikan

although true, you shoot one (or in the air)... and the rest will run off like Bitches...

there is a chance a few of them might be carrying as well. And they could finally add to their important street cred and get in a shoot out.

So might not be worth it. Still carry if need be. But just because the teens don't use foresight, doesn't mean you shouldn't as well.

guek

Banned
50 to 60?

Jesus fuck.

Pretty smart, tbh. Not only is it a show of force by numbers but it's much harder to pin down suspects if they disperse after the crime. Kids that are apprehended could reasonably deny involvement as long as they don't have any loot on them.

although true, you shoot one (or in the air)... and the rest will run off like Bitches...

there is a chance a few of them might be carrying as well. And they could finally add to their important street cred and get in a shoot out.

So might not be worth it. Still carry if need be. But just because the teens don't use foresight, doesn't mean you shouldn't as well.

pee-wee-eyeroll-o.gif

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I know times are tough for everyone, but anyone who is 100% preoccupied with their own little lives is partially to blame for this (including many who got robbed, I'm sure).

Fuck that noise. Folks who got robbed are partially to blame. Some folks on this board. Sheesh...

Afrikan

Pretty smart, tbh. Not only is it a show of force by numbers but it's much harder to pin down suspects if they disperse after the crime. Kids that are apprehended could reasonably deny involvement as long as they don't have any loot on them.

nope. Nothing smart about it.

And I'm sure most of them are regretting that they were involved for the little they got out of it.

WHICH THEY SHOULD'VE FUCKING KNOWN IN THE FIRST PLACE.

Fucking idiots.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom