• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ocelot in MGSV is so god damn boring.

gogogow

One thing I don't understand is, why is Troy Baker Ocelot? Why did Kojima use Troy Baker's appearance? Ocelot's character existed for so long, it just doesn't make sense. A lot of games uses his appearance too, why not come up with their own design (COD, Infamous, MGSV)?

Upinsmoke

Like many things about this game, he was just utterly boring and soulless. Hardly anything felt "right" in the grand scheme of the MGS franchise and what you're saying I think can be applied to so many other elements. Ocelot is boring, Miller is boring (and an all around terrible character), and Snake is just... nothing. It completely lacked the personalities and quirk of everything about the series.

Absolutely, never gave less of a toss about characters as I did in MGSV. You'd have to really go out of your way yo create a more soulless group of people, but they did it.

Neogaf really needs to stop reminding me how terrible MGS5 is.

How could you be disappointed with the game that showed us Big Boss' dark, confronting, taboo-breaking descent into just being a generally nice man? Wasn't it so interesting to see all our beloved characters basically punching a clock at their dayjobs? Weren't you fascinated by the totally non-existent relationship between Big Boss and Liquid that set up Liquid's entire motivation in MGS1? And, of course, how could I fail to mention the complex partnership and rivalry between Big Boss and Zero that is so tastefully left completely unexplored? MGSV is the missing link in the MGS saga, after all.

It's kind of different this time around. We've been used to this character as this triple crossing agent who gathers Intel on the player's character/mission post credits, operates at/vs the highest level of intelligence agencies around the world mostly off field/sidelines, revered/feared about his interrogation techniques in both gameplay and codec coversations etc. for ambiguous reasons up until GOTP, which changed his character dynamics entirely.

Fast forward to V, without spoiling anything, we get first hand experience of how the character behaves and even interact with him as a regular staff member, but his exploration as a character may have been toned down due to two reasons. A) The ending and B) The narrative structure becoming more passive as its left entirely to the player and not forced like the prequels. Evolution of game design and to an extent, maybe this sounds small but it impacts a lot of character ptogression, interactive real-time individual codec calls in the traditional sense as opposed to your binoc's Intel radio on specifics and cassette tapes for narrative/mission/narrative progress.

No matter what, in ten years time all these silly shitposts about this game will turn into how "glorious!!!" V was and how it's "like Sons of Liberty!!!", which we'll laugh about in harmony. V, whether you like it or not, is the new age archetype of the genre, just like 2 was, redefining evolution of game design in the genre (not open world in general), narrative, and mechanically pushed to it's limit (as of now).

KOMANI

KOMANI
When I remove myself from the story of the game, I feel better about my experience with it. When I watch "story" streams that feature the phantom pain, I cringe. It's just so bad. No character development. No main story that goes somewhere. People want to act that this game introduced a new form of storytelling... More power to you. I see a story truncated because of mismanaging time and resources. They even had the balls to include mission 51 as to taunt us on how they got away with it.
There's no reason to have Ocelot in this game. He's supposed to be the angel to Kaz's demon, but that doesn't mean he has to be boring... And yet he is. He makes no sense within the character's own make up.
Edit: as I read the above post, I just shake my head. I like how some think this is in the same league as MGS2. Enjoy that Kool Aid, buddy.

How could you be disappointed with the game that showed us Big Boss' dark, confronting, taboo-breaking descent into just being a generally nice man? Wasn't it so interesting to see all our beloved characters basically punching a clock at their dayjobs? Weren't you fascinated by the totally non-existent relationship between Big Boss and Liquid that set up Liquid's entire motivation in MGS1? And, of course, how could I fail to mention the complex partnership and rivalry between Big Boss and Zero that is so tastefully left completely unexplored? MGSV is the missing link in the MGS saga, after all.

Big Boss a nice man? He lets one of his soldiers take the fall for him and just disappears and is willing to sacrifice hundreds in the hospital. He is cunning and egoistical and shows that he doesn't care at all about his soldiers.
What did people expect? Manic laughter and him killing kittens?
I liked that for one time Kojima doesn't try to hammer it home again and again.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
I believe that the Ocelot from MGS 3 was the same Ocelot for the MGS 1, 2 and even 4. V? Nope. That was a stroke

Ridesh

Banned
No matter what, in ten years time all these silly shitposts about this game will turn into how "glorious!!!" V was and how it's "like Sons of Liberty!!!", which we'll laugh about in harmony. V, whether you like it or not, is the new age archetype of the genre, just like 2 was, redefining evolution of game design in the genre (not open world in general), narrative, and mechanically pushed to it's limit (as of now).

j-jonah-laughing.gif

nillah

Banned
Like many things about this game, he was just utterly boring and soulless. Hardly anything felt "right" in the grand scheme of the MGS franchise and what you're saying I think can be applied to so many other elements. Ocelot is boring, Miller is boring (and an all around terrible character), and Snake is just... nothing. It completely lacked the personalities and quirk of everything about the series.

Your comment is about the industry as a whole and you don't even know ;)

Big Boss a nice man? He lets one of his soldiers take the fall for him and just disappears and is willing to sacrifice hundreds in the hospital. He is cunning and egoistical and shows that he doesn't care at all about his soldiers.

Kojima talked up MGSV as breaking taboos and showing Big Boss' descent into madness and evil. In reality, MGSV shows a polite, softly-spoken man who hardly says a word in anger, then eighty hours later goes
"psych it was the medic lol"
. I don't care to entertain a meaningless twist five minutes before the credits roll as being any kind of quality storytelling.

Kojima talked up MGSV as breaking taboos and showing Big Boss' descent into madness and evil. In reality, MGSV shows a polite, softly-spoken man who hardly says a word in anger, then eighty hours later
goes "psych it was the medic lol"
. I don't care to entertain a meaningless twist five minutes before the credits roll as being any kind of quality storytelling.

I'm sure people got the impression watching the trailers but personally I don't think of trailers as parts of a game that I build my expectations on. They're just there to sell more copies for me and I judge or criticize stuff that is actually in the game. I think the game is entirely self-contained and has an interesting theme about the importance of languagw and cultural appropriation- Maybe my expectations of this series are different. I expect an interesting main theme surrounded by goofy and nonsensical stuff and every game except MGS4 delivers on hat promise.

I guess some people wouldn't be so pissed if it wasn't the last MGS, but nobody at KojiPro could have known that when they started production.

SkylineRKR

I doubt V will leave the same mark as MGS2 did. I already largely forgot V because there was nothing noteworthy in its narrative. I didn't forget MGS2's twists.

MGS2 Raiden was a shock, even after the demo there were no signs. V merely replicated it in much worse and useless fashion, leave the twist out and nothing changes. This trash cannot even be from the same creator, like, 'so here's this giant enemy twist... this level is based on the tutorial that actually took place in the game'. And we kept the prompts into it too, because after 50 hours of playing you might have forgotten how to crawl. Yeah fuck this game.

DevilFox

It's just another disastrous aspect of the game. To turn Ocelot into a walking Wikipedia.. I still have a hard time understanding how they managed to do that.

News Bot

Banned
I doubt V will leave the same mark as MGS2 did. I already largely forgot V because there was nothing noteworthy in its narrative. I didn't forget MGS2's twists.

MGS2 Raiden was a shock, even after the demo there were no signs. V merely replicated it in much worse and useless fashion, leave the twist out and nothing changes. This trash cannot even be from the same creator, like, 'so here's this giant enemy twist... this level is based on the tutorial that actually took place in the game'. And we kept the prompts into it too, because after 50 hours of playing you might have forgotten how to crawl. Yeah fuck this game.

The twist is made even more cheap by the fact that the scene just outright changes things to retroactively make the twist more palatable. Hack writing. It outright lies to the player rather than keeping things from them.

Big Boss had nothing to do with the body double. He wakes up only a short time before Venom does. He goes along with it because he doesn't want to kill his friend, and he even goes so far as to share his identity with said friend. That's a nice man if I ever heard of one.

KOMANI

KOMANI
I'm sorry I've been spoiled by current games where story and character arcs really matter. As the series progressed, the focus on telling a cohesive story got worse. Apology accepted?
Edit: oh, and when I mean current... I mean the last 2 decades.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Ocelot is the worst in this game. He has no personality and isn't consistent with either MGS3 Ocelot or MGS1 Ocelot. He's just a dude with a lot of cowboy affectations and all of a sudden a Deep South accent he never had before or after. I guess he's that way because Miller needed a foil, but they couldn't have done it in a worse way.

SkylineRKR

Zero decided to clone BB while BB was still asleep. Because he had enemies that were out to kill him. Thats right people, Big Boss had enemies. Lets forget that this goes against his Peace Walker speech (and V is a direct sequel to that), in which he's ready to face anything that might try to stop them. There is no defending this story, its bad from all angles. Also, BB didn't even fit into it. Why the fuck was he assaulted anyway? Skull Face had no reason to do so, it only jeopardized his crusade against Cipher.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
MGSV would go up an entire notch in my book if there was an option to turn off Kaz and Ocelot.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
It *is* the same as that, but MGSV was played for upwards of 100 hours by a ton of people. Going by my Steam friends list, around 50 hours seems to be the minimum for someone wh o finished the game.

MGS1 is like 12 hours for a first playthrough, down to like 4 if you know the game.

You hear these repeated lines A LOT just playing MGSV once.

I played mgs1 upwards of 80 hours too, including vr missions which have enemy audio dialogue.

It is nowhere near the same audio experience. If both games were just 10 hours, the constant Kaz and Ocelot talking are still very noticeable.

Im currently up to chapter 2, this story, lol, terrible. I was stealthy all through chap 1 but now I just want to finish this up and playing rambo style while calling airstrikes and bombardments, older gears are so much better, it plays great, will give it that.

Agreed. His performance was the worst Ocelot performance ever made in the franchise. He was Americanized and Troy Baker destroyed his character, imo. He wasn't all that there either. So disappointing, in my opinion. He had some good lines and throwbacks to the series but that is about it.

He's great in some of the cassette tapes. I listened to them all while playing.

Ishida

Banned
No it isn't, because nothing even approaching that scene, or most of the goofy ass scenes in MGS4, happens in any of the other three games. It's an isolated case, and a bad one. MGS3 has some silly moments but they don't overpower and undermine the narrative in the process. But this is the same game that made the originally amusing easter egg Johnny Sasaki a main character, complete with pathetic Flanderization and removing any semblance of humor from his existence.

MGS4, MGSPW and MGSV are closer in tone than they are to any of the other games. They're terrible stories. Portable Ops was the last story to stay true to the series at that point. Then Kojima decided to make a character Jesus Christ and the entire mythology buckled under it while he kept going back and trying to add more story details to fix his original fuck-up, eventually making it unsalvageable instead of just ignoring it like he should've.

No, you are wrong. That scene with Ocelot taking control of the military and becoming almost onmipotent regarding weapons is one of the absolute best and most dramatic scene in the entire franchise.

Henkka

Banned
Yeah, I was hoping for the continued adventures of John and Adamska. Their bromance at the end of MGS3 is just perfect. But the twist
ruins all of that. I can see that it would be a hard thing to write properly. How should Ocelot interact with a fake BB, created through plastic surgery and hypnosis?
I've no fucking clue, and neither did Kojima.

Chinner

Banned
Newsbot, u might as well save your energy. Ishida has controversial opinions and the only time I've ever agreed with him is on MGSV. He's never gonna meet you half way in something.

RK9039

It makes sense, all the characters are boring.

But don't worry guys! chapter 3 is coming.

lol

Ocelot is the most mishandled character in the series. He's consistent between MGS1 and MGS2, but everything afterwards is terrible. Shoehorning him into Big Boss' origin story with quirks, personality and attitude he loses for fourty years until the climactic battle.

But it's ok because "hypnotism." Crock of shit hack writing. Face-turning a completely reprehensible character and even making him the Son of Jesus Christ (The Boss) is ridiculously hammy and forced. The series works better without any of the pretentious religious drivel introduced in MGS3.

LOL

Seriously, this game has ruined the entire series for me.

shalashaska was one of my most hyped anticipations for this game. "ho shit i get to finally see how he got the name, this is gonna be so badass"..

ಠ╭╮ಠ

Whompa02

Remember the Ocelot unit?

Yeah, literally one cutscene. Why even bother?

I was so upset at how little he does...

Two Words

One thing I don't understand is, why is Troy Baker Ocelot? Why did Kojima use Troy Baker's appearance? Ocelot's character existed for so long, it just doesn't make sense. A lot of games uses his appearance too, why not come up with their own design (COD, Infamous, MGSV)?
He still looks Lee Van Cleef-ish, which is who the character's appearance is based on.

van-cleef-good-ugly_l.jpg

brau

he ran out of time. but this Ocelot was probably gonna be a
double
as well.
The medics assistant.

Your comment is about the industry as a whole and you don't even know ;)

so meta.

Vagrant

Ocelot has two good lines (both in the truth tapes), but is boring, omniscient, and unrecognizable otherwise. Nothing compared to MGSV's best character, DD, what a good dog.

Huey is prob the best human MGSV character, he's like having Baltar from BSG on your team. I like Miller as an amusing cartoon character. Quiet could've been good, but stuff like the shower and leering kills that for me. Zero was actually surprisingly good and true to his MGS3 characterization, but is only there a bit at the end. In a lot of ways Ocelot is the worst one, or would be if it wasn't for Code Talker. Fuck Code Talker tapes other than the burger ones.

Luckily I don't play these things for the story, or writing. They're at their worst when they focus too much on that (looking at you, MGS4 and MGS2) rather than servicing the cool game gimmicks, atmosphere, and cutscenes. If MGSV had focused more on this stuff it would've been bad, but thankfully it sweeps it to the corner mostly. Being able to turn off Miller/Ocelot in GZ and TPP would've been even better.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Just started playing this again after an extended break and was just shocked at how utterly lame Ocelot and Miller both were upon my return. In general actually, about the disappointment of this game. Not that the game is bad, but to wait 8 years for it, it certainly didn't live up to expectations. And I say that as a huge Metal Gear fanatic who has loved almost every entry. Gameplay is still good in this game, but fuck were the characters poorly written, and very poorly acted. Makes Quiet seem like a revelation in comparison, but that's probably because she doesn't speak :/

Great timing for this thread, since I just decided to resume MGSV after a long hiatus (I was burnt out on it).

Being a big fan of MGS3 (the only true masterpiece of the series, IMO), this is obviously a very disappointing game. Taking time away from it has helped to temper my expectations of it and play it for what it is, and not for what I thought it should be. The gameplay can be satisfying in short bursts, but it lacks the nuance, depth, and quirky style of the previous entries.

This thread about Ocelot highlights just one of many reasons why MGSV feels half-baked and sorely misguided. Even when the gameplay works (at times to stellar effect), I can't help but feel that there's a few layers missing. The average outpost and surrounding area feels...off, somehow. It's like Kojima was just finishing up his first pass with it, sprinkling gameplay elements throughout the world, but had plans to layer in several more elements to give it more detail and depth.

Ocelot is just one telling sign of Kojima being undecided as to what he wanted this game to be, exactly, and where in the mythology he wanted it to stand. I have no doubt he was hoping for another year or two in development.

Edit: I've decided to forgo the endless side ops grind and try to focus on the actual episodes. I'm on (the very frustrating) episode 28, Code Talker. It's a moment that makes me pine for the days of The End in MGS3. THAT was some stellar game design.
It's funny, that's probably my favorite mission in the game. I know why it can be frustrating though.

Yeah Ocelot was like the best part of the other games...and then he turns into a monotonous voice used for useless expository information in this one with no descernable character traits

Top Bottom