• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

October 2015 NPD (U.S. Hardware) Predictions - Closes November 10th

EGOMON

I think Uncharted 4 will mark the point where Uncharted franchise overtake Halo franchise as the Juggernaut sales when it comes to exclusives

Abdiel

Well.

CoD came out.

And um. Halo still sold *some* copies. But it basically vanished in a flood of the fuckton of Black Ops.

Holy hell the flood of Black Ops.

(sigh)

Just. Every other game goes away, full stop. Yes, CoD is on the table over there, just take it. Are you needing a new gaming headset? Here's the options. Etc. etc. etc. Oh, you preordered online? That line. Oh, you got the PS4 bundle? Over there. Etc. etc. etc.

Fuck November guys.

Just. Fuck November.

Halo was busy. CoD is fucking nuts. Fallout is going to be crazy. Battlefront is going to be unreasonable. Fucking unfair. The reason for that? CoD sells more damn game copies, bar none. BAR FUCKING NONE. But the CoD bundle doesn't move as much physical bundle hardware. Not as many console preorders, not so many things to stack and organize.

The Star wars bundles? Those things are going to be a fucking nightmare. And then goddamn Black Friday.

Arghghghghjkjfdklajfkdlafda.

Bgamer90

Banned
Well.

CoD came out.

And um. Halo still sold *some* copies. But it basically vanished in a flood of the fuckton of Black Ops.

(sigh)

Just. Every other game goes away, full stop. Yes, CoD is on the table over there, just take it. Are you needing a new gaming headset? Here's the options. Etc. etc. etc. Oh, you preordered online? That line. Oh, you got the PS4 bundle? Over there. Etc. etc. etc.

Fuck November guys.

Just. Fuck November.

Halo was busy. CoD is fucking nuts. Fallout is going to be crazy. Battlefront is going to be unreasonable. Fucking unfair. The reason for that? CoD sells more damn game copies, bar none. BAR FUCKING NONE. But the CoD bundle doesn't move as much physical bundle hardware. Not as many preorders, not so many things to stack and organize.

The Star wars bundles? Those things are going to be a fucking nightmare. And then goddamn Black Friday.

Yeah, I have major respect for you retail workers. Every November is an absolute nightmare.

Tubie

Well.

CoD came out.

(sigh)

Fuck November guys.

Just. Fuck November.

Halo was busy. CoD is fucking nuts. Fallout is going to be crazy. Battlefront is going to be unreasonable. Fucking unfair. The reason for that? CoD sells more damn game copies, bar none. BAR FUCKING NONE. But the CoD bundle doesn't move as much physical bundle hardware. Not as many console preorders, not so many things to stack and organize.

This night had 2 insiders holy shit.

What a time to be Sales-GAF.

Sorry this time of the year is so bad for you Abdiel, I wish you all the best for these coming unreasonable weeks!

FATALITY

Banned
Abdiel, how is Tomb Raider bundle doing?

giphy.gif

Abdiel

Abdiel, how is Tomb Raider bundle doing?

Erm...

I feel like that if Best Buy negotiated to get it as a special bundle for our stores, we got screwed. Let me put it that way.

This night had 2 insiders holy shit.

What a time to be Sales-GAF.

Sorry this time of the year is so bad for you Abdiel, I wish you all the best for these coming unreasonable weeks!

Ey, that's the life. I mean. It is what it is. Time flies and all that.

It's entertaining to look back at times and go "Can you fucking believe how crazy those people get to save some money?"

But, eh. Service industry/retail industry life, I guess.

Boke1879

Well.

CoD came out.

(sigh)

Fuck November guys.

Just. Fuck November.

This is the start of your descent into madness.

Sterok

Sounds like a holiday rush. Good luck to all those in retail.

I'm almost afraid to ask, but does anyone know how Yo-kai Watch is doing? Even if it sells well it won't have a big first day, especially right next to COD, but I'm hoping that it somehow beats the odds and goes on to sell decently.

Fat4all

Banned
Sounds like a holiday rush. Good luck to all those in retail.

I'm almost afraid to ask, but does anyone know how Yo-kai Watch is doing? Even if it sells well it won't have a big first day, especially right next to COD, but I'm hoping that it somehow beats the odds and goes on to sell decently.

I was honestly considering getting the 2DS bundle the other day just because I want a 2DS, but I chickened out.

I'm interested but still not quite there yet, even for the stand-alone game.

freefornow

So 1.5M Halo games sold at retail, does that equate to $96M in revenue for the game alone? (1.5M x $60) So $300M revenue from hardware (console, controllers)?? or have I got this completely wrong?

"Me not good at math?! Thats unpossible!"

Tubie

Erm...

I feel like that if Best Buy negotiated to get it as a special bundle for our stores, we got screwed. Let me put it that way.

Ey, that's the life. I mean. It is what it is. Time flies and all that.

It's entertaining to look back at times and go "Can you fucking believe how crazy those people get to save some money?"

But, eh. Service industry/retail industry life, I guess.

I kinda have an idea of what you're going through, I've experienced retail before and even out of season it's a nightmare.

blakep267

So 1.5M Halo games sold at retail, does that equate to $96M in revenue for the game alone? (1.5M x $60) So $300M revenue from hardware (console, controllers)?? or have I got this completely wrong?

They never said the 400 mill was for US only.

Chobel

Yep, missing digital and the sales from outside of US.

$400M revenue is probably sell-in/shipment figures, and global figures, not just US.

Abdiel

This is the start of your descent into madness.

I've got more than a few Black Fridays under my belt. But they don't usually stack the releases quite like this.

Halo - CoD - Fallout 4 - Battlefront - Black Friday - Star Wars Movie 2 weeks later?

This is just like. Stupid. There's Holiday season, and then there's compression of franchise pressure. People swarm for the major games. But still. CoD came out, and Halo sales effectively stopped (Major, major hit). Fallout and CoD aren't really going to cannibalize each other in the same way, though to some degree I guess, while Battlefront will be interesting to see - Though Battlefront has a HUGE upswell of just major starwars geekdom behind it, not just big shooter fans. Tons of preorders for that.

But. yeah. This year in general is stacked in a way that feels kind of stupid. Tomb Raider has the worst fucking placement I've ever seen. Uncharted being delayed feels like a blessing. I don't know where it would fall that it would really nestle and niche without feeling impacted during this season.

Tubie

It makes the Microsoft PR even more impressive when you think about it.

They turned the worst performing Halo since CE into the best selling one in the eyes of many in that thread.

Boke1879

About Abdiel's comments on the COD bundle. Seems like it isn't selling so much hardware. Most likely because of the premium price. Wonder if Sony accounted for that? That said it's clearly pushing software.

Ab must also know preorders for the Star Wars Bundles are insane since he already suspects that day will be a nightmare.

Ab obviously don't tell us if you can't but do you know what you're store is doing for BF? Will the main attraction be a $299 PS4 and Xbox One?

Bgamer90

Banned

Have to put the collectors edition, digital, DLC, and other countries in to the mix too. I'm thinking that the Halo 5 bundle did around 300K in America when using the figures that MS stated. 400-450K seems beleivable for Xbox One in October (NPD).

About Abdiel's comments on the COD bundle. Seems like it isn't selling so much hardware. Most likely because of the premium price. Wonder if Sony accounted for that? That said it's clearly pushing software.

Ab must also know preorders for the Star Wars Bundles are insane since he already suspects that day will be a nightmare.

Ab obviously don't tell us if you can't but do you know what you're store is doing for BF? Will the main attraction be a $299 PS4 and Xbox One?

The big bundle for Sony this year is the Battlefront one, that will be the hardware mover. I think they see the COD bundle as an extra.

Tubie

Have to put the collectors edition, digital, DLC, and other countries in to the mix too. I'm thinking that the Halo 5 bundle did around 300K when using the figures that MS stated. 400-450K seems beleivable for Xbox One in October.

Yea this is what I'm battling with in my prediction. I know Xbox did at least 400k, it's that PS4 price drop I have no idea how to place.

25k difference in favor of PS4 is what I went with, but I don't feel comfortable at all with it.

Loudninja

The Uncharted bundle and the Star Wars bundles are their big ones I think.

Every Black Friday ad is the Uncharted one and they have 3 Star Wars Bundles.

Abdiel

so Abdiel, compared to advanced warfare last year, was blops3 a flood, or a river?

Abdiel, how's the CoD bundle doing, relative... to well, every other premium bundle or last year's CoD bundle? If you don't mind.

The CoD bundle didn't do bad, sorry if my wording was awkward. It's not that it was low numbers, or anything. It just wasn't like last year's Destiny bundle. It's more expensive than the newer, lower priced options that are still selling really lucrative numbers, but it's still priced at a more 'reasonable' price than the Halo bundle, for example. Average consumer isn't really thinking about 500GB vs. 1TB yet.

The system still did solid numbers. Didn't set the world on fire, but I didn't feel like it was trying to. It gave it a unique option, and they didn't overship us a ton of them like I felt with the Halo bundles.

As to the comparison to Advanced Warfare for the actual game software? I feel like our stores comfortably outsold AW. There's a lot more positive buzz, people seem genuinely excited for this time around. Treyarch has a pretty good reputation I guess? (I don't play CoD myself, but apparently they're the really good Zombie folks?)

Mikey Jr.

Sony and nd dodged a bullet by delaying uc4 to March. November is an absolute cluster fuck.

Square enix have to have been absolutely mental to release when they are.

I wonder if it's in the contract that tomb raider must be released in November or something.

Fat4all

Banned
The Uncharted bundle and the Star Wars bundles are their big ones I think.

Every Black Friday ad is the Uncharted one and they have 3 Star Wars Bundles.

It's nice that both bundles are the same price normally, too. It gives people a clear choice, with the Uncharted bundle dropping to $299 for Black Friday sales and Star Wars still keeping a spotlight on BF because it's Star Wars.

I expect both Uncharted and Gears bundles to do mad ca$h on Black Friday.

Top Bottom