• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

October 2015 NPD (U.S. Hardware) Predictions - Closes November 10th

Loudninja

I've got more than a few Black Fridays under my belt. But they don't usually stack the releases quite like this.

Halo - CoD - Fallout 4 - Battlefront - Black Friday - Star Wars Movie 2 weeks later?

This is just like. Stupid. There's Holiday season, and then there's compression of franchise pressure. People swarm for the major games. But still. CoD came out, and Halo sales effectively stopped (Major, major hit). Fallout and CoD aren't really going to cannibalize each other in the same way, though to some degree I guess, while Battlefront will be interesting to see - Though Battlefront has a HUGE upswell of just major starwars geekdom behind it, not just big shooter fans. Tons of preorders for that.

But. yeah. This year in general is stacked in a way that feels kind of stupid. Tomb Raider has the worst fucking placement I've ever seen. Uncharted being delayed feels like a blessing. I don't know where it would fall that it would really nestle and niche without feeling impacted during this season.
I feel that Uncharted would had did well but not as well as it could have sandwhich between all those huge games.

I think SE is regretting every decision they have made regarding Tomb Raider, from the deal to the launch date. Its going to do far worse then the first one.

I wonder if it's in the contract that tomb raider must be released in November or something.

P.S. I'm posting this as a joke, don't take it seriously. Just came to mind, and it'll always be funny and slimy.

hqdefault.jpg

Fat4all

Banned
I think SE is regretting every decision they have made regarding Tomb Raider, from the deal to the launch date. Its going to do far worse then the first one.

I believe the same thing, but it's sad because I'm positive the game will be great from what I've seen of it (unless the story muddles it).

I've already got money set aside for both games next week.

Boke1879

Sony and nd dodged a bullet by delaying uc4 to March. November is an absolute cluster fuck.

Square enix have to have been absolutely mental to release when they are.

I wonder if it's in the contract that tomb raider must be released in November or something.

I almost wonder if Sony had an idea of what was releasing this fall. I mean I know Uncharted 4 had to be delayed to be completed but with SOny have deals with COD and Battlefront if they knew November would be just too crowded.

Especially with games like Halo 5, TR...etc

Kyoufu

I almost wonder if Sony had an idea of what was releasing this fall. I mean I know Uncharted 4 had to be delayed to be completed but with SOny have deals with COD and Battlefront if they knew November would be just too crowded.

Yes, Sony did know what the Fall release schedule looked like.

I heard back in early 2014 that UC4 was a 2016 game, so I don't know why they originally announced the 2015 date at E3/PSX.

Honestly, I can't help but laugh at the whole Tomb Raider fiasco. Someone somewhere must be regretting it.

I doubt Sony would be concerned with any exclusive Xbox has hurting Uncharted. It's the huge multiplatform games that drown everything else out.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
1.5m for Halo! Thats quite the drop from Halo Reach 3.3m.

Not sure about reach numbers, someone can correct me if Im wrong.

I would say its definitely above 2M. With the digital sales.

You also have to remember Reach launched on a hardware with what 50million userbase? While H5 is on 15Million userbase.

Halo 3 sales vs Halo 5 are the perfect comparison imo. Except I would say additional 25-30% digital sale for H5. What are the exact H3 numbers? I am sure H5 dropped significantly compare to H3 on launch week. Hype for that was next to GTA game type lol

I heard back in early 2014 that UC4 was a 2016 game, so I don't know why they originally announced the 2015 date at E3/PSX.

Prior to E3 2014, there was a lot of #concern regarding Uncharted 4, due to its presumed development reboot, high-level departures, etc, that it feels like E3 2014's reveal was very much ND trying to prove to others, and themselves that things are alright.

Basically overpromising. Now that the UC4-Amy Hennig drama is largely behind ND, they can probably step back and realise that a 2015 version of UC4 would be a huge disservice to the game.

Boke1879

Yes, Sony did know what the Fall release schedule looked like.

Honestly, I can't help but laugh at the whole Tomb Raider fiasco. Someone somewhere must be regretting it.

SE is no doubt regretting it imo. And It looks like the game will be good but it's going to be drowned out by much higher profile titles. Whatever money MS paid can't be enough.

I really hope the TR brand isn't "ruined" by this move

Fat4all

Banned
I doubt Sony would be concerned with any exclusive Xbox has hurting Uncharted. It's the huge multiplatform games that drown everything else out.

There could of been a conversation with Druckmann where Sony looked over the landscape for the end of the year and said "you want a few more months to work on the game?"

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony

You also have to remember Reach launched on a hardware with what 50million userbase? While H5 is on 15Million userbase.

Halo 3 sales vs Halo 5 are the perfect comparison imo. Except I would say additional 25-30% digital sale for H5. What are the exact H3 numbers? I am sure H5 dropped significantly compare to H3 on launch week. Hype for that was next to GTA game type lol

Your saying digital sales were 500,000+? Yeah...i doubt that. Most times, its around 10 to 20 percent, digital traction for these types

teiresias

The thing that makes the TR fiasco even more amusing is with the UC delay, SE has to wait a horrendous amount of time to even attempt to find a good window to release it on PS4, and by then it will be even older news, tarnished by a lackluster launch once before.

ethomaz

Banned
I've heard concrete information that Halo 5 launch numbers will be some of the lowest yet. Like 1.4-1.5M low. I'm willing to polygraph with an admin if need be, I've seen how inside information is dealt with here :p
That is what I expected for NPD after the 150k for UK.
It is inline with the drop.

To be fair I predicted 1.6m for NPD plus 300k bundles.

Kyoufu

Halo 3 did 3.3 million. That's a significant drop if it does turn out to be 1.5 million. I doubt digital sales made up for that gap.

RexNovis

Banned
It would be better than Halo CE (which hit 1 Million in early 2002 if I remember correctly) so technically not the lowest selling entry in the same period. Worse than Halo 2, 3, and 4 though.

I was under the impression we didn't have any figures for Halo 1. It's the only title we don't know the launch sales for so I excluded it. Where did you get the 1 million figure from?

mo60

Source? Isn't every halo bundled with the xb1 digital?

On the best buy website it does say the limited edition halo 5 bundle contains a full game download for the game.I think this should apply for all the limited edition halo 5 consoles.Digital numbers could be a lot higher than expected of this is the case.If we can figure out how many limited edition halo bundles were can get closer to figuring out how much it sold digitally.

Well.

CoD came out.

And um. Halo still sold *some* copies. But it basically vanished in a flood of the fuckton of Black Ops.

Holy hell the flood of Black Ops.

(sigh)

Just. Every other game goes away, full stop. Yes, CoD is on the table over there, just take it. Are you needing a new gaming headset? Here's the options. Etc. etc. etc. Oh, you preordered online? That line. Oh, you got the PS4 bundle? Over there. Etc. etc. etc.

Fuck November guys.

Just. Fuck November.

Halo was busy. CoD is fucking nuts. Fallout is going to be crazy. Battlefront is going to be unreasonable. Fucking unfair. The reason for that? CoD sells more damn game copies, bar none. BAR FUCKING NONE. But the CoD bundle doesn't move as much physical bundle hardware. Not as many console preorders, not so many things to stack and organize.

The Star wars bundles? Those things are going to be a fucking nightmare. And then goddamn Black Friday.

Arghghghghjkjfdklajfkdlafda.

I worked a holiday season (Nov - Dec, including BF and Christmas rush) at probably one of the busiest Best Buys in the SE region many moons ago. This was before amazon was a big deal, cyber monday, and people being comfortable ordering stuff online.

I feel like I lost 6 months of my life just by working there. I do not envy you!

Source? Isn't every halo bundled with the xb1 digital?

Witcher 3: 25% of total sales http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1116442 (Keep in mind this is a major PC franchise)
Ubisoft in 2014 on PS4/XB1: 10% http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=852745
EA in 2014 on PS4/XB1: 10-15% http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=860335
EA 2015 with Battlefield Hardline PS4/XB1 (similar game to Halo): 20% http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1041340

I've talked to people in the industry who have said week one can be a bit higher (30% being quite generous, as that's usually only a day 1 type of figure), but not much higher.

Came from the OP of this thread.

How's Battlefront preorders compared to Black Ops 3, Abdiel? I'm thinking Battlefront might sale even higher than expected. When I was at Gamestop tonight, my friend that works there said that some people already trade-in the last-gen version of Black Ops 3 and had three of them reserved the Battlefront PS4 bundle. I wonder if more people might be trading in the last-gen of version Black Ops3 due to no campaign(not everyone is well informed) and awful multiplayer performance.

newjeruse

Most of the time Sony releases their exclusives in Q1-Q3 and lets the multi-plats rule in Q4. Not all the time, but most of the time.

jjonez18

It all worked out for them. They were able to get ND Collection out the door while riding the waves of a pricedrop and CoD+Battlefront hype. Ended up putting UC4 in the best position come next spring. Higher install base and you let those new to the Uncharted franchise get a taste of the older games and a slice of UC4 with the beta. Couldn't have been played any better IMO.

Poor TR, I really liked the reboot but given the choice between fallout and tr, I'd def go with fallout first. Guess the exclusivity helps me out on that front this month.

Anecdotal, but I do have a friend who I play destiny with that is seriously thinking about getting a Xbox just to play TR, says he can't wait for PC or ps4 version, so I think tr could move some units for MS. Just no where near as much as they would like.

Anyone else think it's kinda insane that MS is backing both Fallout and Tomb Raider (I assume they'll be footing some marketing costs) only for them to go head to head?

RexNovis

Banned
I've got more than a few Black Fridays under my belt. But they don't usually stack the releases quite like this.

Halo - CoD - Fallout 4 - Battlefront - Black Friday - Star Wars Movie 2 weeks later?

This is just like. Stupid. There's Holiday season, and then there's compression of franchise pressure. People swarm for the major games. But still. CoD came out, and Halo sales effectively stopped (Major, major hit). Fallout and CoD aren't really going to cannibalize each other in the same way, though to some degree I guess, while Battlefront will be interesting to see - Though Battlefront has a HUGE upswell of just major starwars geekdom behind it, not just big shooter fans. Tons of preorders for that.

But. yeah. This year in general is stacked in a way that feels kind of stupid. Tomb Raider has the worst fucking placement I've ever seen. Uncharted being delayed feels like a blessing. I don't know where it would fall that it would really nestle and niche without feeling impacted during this season.

It really is. This insistence on releasing games in the holiday window is really going to blow up in publishers faces (i.e. Tomb Raider) I just don't understand the reasoning behind it. There are 9 other months in the year with much less competition sales wise.

On a side note what are the software spots for CoD looking like so far for you Abdiel? Is the Xbox brand maintaining its strong grip on the CoD faithful or has it seemingly shifted with the advent of the new DLC/Marketing partnership?

The lower Halo sales than previous Halo show that the PS4 has eaten a significant number of the 360 audience.

Abdiel, if you can, how did the Uncharted collection sell?

Javin98

Banned

I love watching people pull this 25%-30% digital sales figures out of their ass to make Halo 5 look better. It's not realistic at all, period. 20% would be the top end of a possible range.

Fat4all

Banned
The lower Halo sales than previous Halo show that the PS4 has eaten a significant number of the 360 audience.

I feel like the Uncharted Collections biggest boon will be it's bundle for this holiday season.

It'll probably do good well into 2016, too.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony

I think that the Halo sales say more about how the brand of Halo has changed for people rather than XB1 faithful not being around.

I know for me, i largely moved on from Halo after Bungie said goodbye to the franchise, and even though i gave Halo 4 a try, it did not really feel good for me at all.

I will admit that they did a good job with H2A, that game had serious production values put into it. That could have been its own disk really

I am not sure it can be attributed to one factor. It is the accumulation of multiple factors at play.

1.)PS4 sapping 360 users
2.)The Halo brand on a decline/natural fatigue
3.)Far more competition in the shooter space

Even considering those, however, that is still a pretty steep drop. As others have said, it is respectable in a general sense but it does not stack up to past Halo releases at all.

BeforeU

I love watching people pull this 25%-30% digital sales figures out of their ass to make Halo 5 look better. It's not realistic at all, period. 20% would be the top end of a possible range.

Where did you get 20%? Out of someone's ass too? everyone is shooting in the dark. Relax, my 25% was just an estimate, just like your 20%. No need to make H5 look better, because it already did great. Just not as great at H3. But made MS lot of money.

Where did you get 20%? Out of someone's ass too? everyone is shooting in the dark. Relax, my 25% was just an estimate, just like your 20%. No need to make H5 look better, because it already did great. Just not as great at H3. But made MS lot of money.

Scroll up.... I advise that you should comment with more caution...

Javin98

Banned
Where did you get 20%? Out of someone's ass too? everyone is shooting in the dark. Relax, my 25% was just an estimate, just like your 20%. No need to make H5 look better, it did great. Just not as great at H3.
Did you see the rough percentages of digital sales of games from companies posted in this page? The Witcher 3, for example, had 25% digital sales. That is a PC centric game, where a vast majority of the sales on PC are on Steam. The PC digital sales comprises a majority of that 25%. So tell me, how in the world is Halo 5 supposed to have 25% digital sales? My estimation was baseless, yes, but even then, it's a generous one. Your estimation is just out of the realm of reality.

BeforeU

Did you see the rough percentages of digital sales of games from companies posted in this page? The Witcher 3, for example, had 25% digital sales. That is a PC centric game, where a vast majority of the sales on PC are on Steam. The PC digital sales comprises a majority of that 25%. So tell me, how in the world is Halo 5 supposed to have 25% digital sales? My estimation was baseless, yes, but even then, it's a generous one. Your estimation is just out of the realm of reality.

Biggest Xbox One Exclusive , multiplayer focus game. Judging from my friend circle my 25% estimate was also very generous imo. If you disagree, thats fine I guess.

Is that really from someone's ass, as you have initially claimed?

well but apparently my 25% came from my ass as someone else claimed

Javin98

Banned
Biggest Xbox One Exclusive , multiplayer focus game. Judging from my friend circle my 25% estimate was also very generous imo. If you disagree, thats fine I guess.
LOL, here we go with anecdotal evidence again. I explained it well enough and if you can't see the point, you are just being delusional. And by generous, I meant optimistic, as in likely less than 20%. Boy, some of you are really hurt by Halo 5's poor sales that you reject any real evidence. The NPD thread will be a salt mine!

The CoD one is a "Limited" bundle, anyways.

The $350 Battlefront one is the big-cheese this month.

After the 2 LE PS4's run out, that $350 Battlefront bundle will dominate December hardcore style!

Edit: I just realized what if that $350 Battlefront bundle is $299 on BF O.O

5 free games for a $299 PS4, Madness I tell you!

Alo0oy

Banned
Sony and nd dodged a bullet by delaying uc4 to March. November is an absolute cluster fuck.

Square enix have to have been absolutely mental to release when they are.

Uncharted 3 didn't have a problem selling when it released alongside Skyrim and Modern Warfare 3. Neither did all the previous Halo games or Gran Turismo.

Tomb Raider would have done well if it was a multiplat, the last Tomb Raider comfortably outsold the last Fallout game. 8.5 million vs 6 million.

Poor wording on my side.
I meant from UC4 and on Uncharted games will sell more than Halo counterpart game

It's very likely that UC3 did better than Halo 4 anyway.

allan-bh

We have little data about digital sales. 25 % for Halo 5 isn't out of question for me. Will be nice if MS say something about digital percentage.

Halo 5 sales are just for 5 days, digital should be higher on launch.

Top Bottom