• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

October Wrasslin' |OT| I'm seein' double here...

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I'm not doubting Cody's skill as a self promoter and business man. He's obviously good at it, and WWE talent that are looking to leave have been reaching out to him for advice.

Neville's talent speaks for it's self. It's not some secret. Literally everyone in the wrestling world knows how amazing he is. If he can be at least half competent at getting himself booked and paid, he will do very well in his non-WWE venture.
I'm not suggesting he isn't skilled. I'm saying there's a lot of talented guys on the indies who aren't making bank. It's a tough market and most of the money numbers are speculative.

Knockouts title match at BFG now a triple threat

@IMPACTWRESTLING
Update: @IAmTarynTerrell & #IMPACT are mutually parting ways. Taryn would like to pursue other career options and she has our full support. We wish Taryn well in whatever she does next.

And no, it's not okay for certain people to respond "Come back to WWE" to this if they have problems with the opposite, which they clearly do

Mahonay

Banned
I'm not suggesting he isn't skilled. I'm saying there's a lot of talented guys on the indies who aren't making bank. It's a tough market and most of the money numbers are speculative.
Neville is not just a random skilled worker. Dude's name and talent carries more weight than you're giving it credit for.

We all that Okada is 2017 wrestler of the year but who will be wwe wrestler of the year? Asuka?

Can't decide between Kenny and Okada for overall. Maybe Kenny because he tends to have better matches with other people than Okada does?

Without a doubt, the Kenny/Okada trilogy is the greatest wrestling thing of 2017.

As for WWE, who the fuck knows. Their booking doesn't really support anyone having a good year. AJ's incredible 2016 run hasn't been touched by anyone in 2017. Maybe Strowman has been the most entertaining?

It's kind of a null point. The booking buries anyone potentially shining.

Dude is going to be the hottest prospect as a worker on the planet when he leaves WWE. I think he will do more than alright.

For a time, yes. But as Meltzer said with Aries, it's not about what you're making right after you leave, it's about what you are making a year or so later when the bloom has come off and the novelty of seeing you on the indies again has faded.

I think Neville will be successful, mind you, but he'll only be "the hottest prospect" for so long before he'll have to work his ass off to put himself above all the other super talented guys on the scene.

We all that Okada is 2017 wrestler of the year but who will be wwe wrestler of the year? Asuka?

Pete Dunne is a WWE wrestler, so I'd say him.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Can't decide between Kenny and Okada for overall. Maybe Kenny because he tends to have better matches with other people than Okada does?

Without a doubt, the Kenny/Okada trilogy is the greatest wrestling thing of 2017.

As for WWE, who the fuck knows. Their booking doesn't really support anyone having a good year. AJ's incredible 2016 run hasn't been touched by anyone in 2017. Maybe Strowman has been the most entertaining?

Easily Okada for wrussler of the year. Omega's great, but he's not on Okada's level.

I'm still kinda stunned at how fast it was for Nakamura, and how deep it was for Bayley

klonere

Banned
Dave saying Nakamura's poor WWE run wouldn't have changed his mind about him getting into the Observer HOF.

Ergo, Mistico should be in for being the biggest draw in the world for 2 years straight despite his Sin Cara run.

#JUSTICEFORMISTCOCARISTICOSINCARA

Mahonay

Banned
For a time, yes. But as Meltzer said with Aries, it's not about what you're making right after you leave, it's about what you are making a year or so later when the bloom has come off and the novelty of seeing you on the indies again has faded.

I think Neville will be successful, mind you, but he'll only be "the hottest prospect" for so long before he'll have to work his ass off to put himself above all the other super talented guys on the scene.

Pete Dunne is a WWE wrestler, so I'd say him.
Austin Aries is 39

Neville is 31

Also Neville's stock is just about at it's peak right now. Aries definitely not. I don't think it's a very good comparison, even though their situations for leaving WWE are extremely similar.

Considering Neville's entire history of ring work and latest WWE run, I don't think I have much doubt if he'll be able to keep up the level needed to be put above other guys in the scene.

I'd honestly need to look at each match Kenny and Okada had with other people in an attempt to quantify who had a better year. My gut says Kenny, but I might just be an Omega mark.

Okada had that Shibata match which was probably my fave non Kenny vs. Okada match of the year.

Kenny had that ridiculous Naito match in the G1 final. I think Kenny's matches with Ishii and Juice were better than Okada's matches vs. the same.

It's tough. Either way, what a year for these gents.

Foggy

Kenny had two 5+ star matches within a 24 hour period for the 2nd year in a row. Plus his trilogy with Ishii. I'll have no problem saying it's Kenny's year.

I also wouldn't argue with someone saying Okada. It's been a great year.

Mahonay

Banned
I'd agree that this year the Wrestler of the Year is between Kenny and Okada. I don't think anyone else can really compare to the output both of those guys have had. It's been pretty insane.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
One thing is, hands down, this has been the best year for wrestling that I've ever witnessed, and it isn't even close.

klonere

Banned
IT'S MIYAHARA'S YEAR

Actually, it's the fans year, because it's been so good, outside of the WWE.

Now, start arguing like ravenous dogs that the WWE had a great in ring year, for my amusement

Austin Aries is 39

Neville is 31

Also Neville's stock is just about at it's peak right now. Aries definitely not. I don't think it's a very good comparison, even though their situations for leaving WWE are extremely similar.

Considering Neville's entire history of ring work and latest WWE run, I don't think I have much doubt if he'll be able to keep up the level needed to be put above other guys in the scene.

I'm not comparing Neville to Aries. There's no direct comparison. Aries is just a name. Replace it with Cody, Drew Galloway, whoever. The point is that your stock and your name only get you so far. Neville is in a great spot yes, and he'll get bookings solely off of that for a while, but there's gonna come a time when he's been back around for a bit that he's not going to be the headline of a card as "hey look it's Neville in AAW!"

I'm not talking about his first match with Ospreay or Keith Lee or Pentagon. I'm talking about his fourth match with Ospreay or his third match with Fenix and so on. At that point you need to do more than just stand out in the ring. You need to have a level of drive and self-promotion to put you on the next level. Every top indie guy has it. And I'm not saying Neville won't, but it's not a given.

Foggy

I totally forgot about The Last Night until that thread popped up on gaming side. Now I'm really bummed again. Milkshake ducks are rarely more quack quack than that game.

Mahonay

Banned
I'm not comparing Neville to Aries. There's no direct comparison. Aries is just a name. Replace it with Cody, Drew Galloway, whoever. The point is that your stock and your name only get you so far. Neville is in a great spot yes, and he'll get bookings solely off of that for a while, but there's gonna come a time when he's been back around for a bit that he's not going to be the headline of a card as "hey look it's Neville in AAW!"

I'm not talking about his first match with Ospreay or Keith Lee or Pentagon. I'm talking about his fourth match with Ospreay or his third match with Fenix and so on. At that point you need to do more than just stand out in the ring. You need to have a level of drive and self-promotion to put you on the next level. Every top indie guy has it. And I'm not saying Neville won't, but it's not a given.
Definitely not a given, but I'd easily say it's likely that he'll do very well.

Who knows, maybe Neville is a terrible self manager and will just languish. I have no idea. Obviously dude is going to need to work his ass off or find an excellent agent.

And I'd say with his latest heel run, he has taken it to the next level talent wise. Now that he's got the character work down, he is legitimately one of the best packages as a pro wrestler on the planet.

Foggy

NJPW's year has been so great, so many incredible matches have been afterthoughts. Naito/Elgin, Naito/Ibushi, Takahashi vs Dragon lee for the XXXth time, Nagata's run of matches in the G1 at the ripe age of 49, Okada/Elgin, Suzuki/Omega, Okada/Suzuki 2. The G1 was just so absurd.

Definitely not a given, but I'd easily say it's likely that he'll do very well.

Who knows, maybe Neville is a terrible self manager and will just languish. I have no idea. Obviously dude is going to need to work his ass off or find an excellent agent.

And I'd say with his latest heel run, he has taken it to the next level talent wise. Now that he's got the character work down, he is legitimately one of the best packages as a pro wrestler on the planet.

I believe he's gonna succeed because I think he's a great talent and he's got a lot of friends he can learn from in all the promotion departments. My main point is just that he's gonna have to work his ass off for it, and it's not gonna come as easy as most would think.

On a side note, Neville is a fantastic talent, but the indie scene is so talented as a whole right now that I'd struggle to argue that he's even in the top 15-20.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Nagata deserves something this year, it's been a great send-off.

Mahonay

Banned
I believe he's gonna succeed because I think he's a great talent and he's got a lot of friends he can learn from in all the promotion departments. My main point is just that he's gonna have to work his ass off for it, and it's not gonna come as easy as you would think.

On a side note, Neville is a fantastic talent, but the indie scene is so talented as a whole right now that I'd struggle to argue that he's even in the top 15-20.
We'll agree to disagree there.

Foggy

As far as high flyers go, I would put Neville in the top 3 or top 5 at worst in the indie world. Neville going full tilt boogie like he did in DG will be a spectacle.

Every single Yuji Nagata singles match this year has been great.

Even the Lion's Gate ones. The best grumpy Dad.

giphy.gif

Anth0ny

Hard to decide between Omega and Okada for wrestler of the year. I was sure it was Okada's, but then Omega had his matches in the US with Ishii, the mother fucking G1 finals with Naito and now this awesome match with Juice.

Fuck it, they're both wrestler of the year!!!!

2000-all-star-mvp4ws04.jpg

Top Bottom