• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift - Dev Kit Discussion [Orders Arriving]

LordCanti

Thanks Lord updated.

NP.

Hopefully they'll be able to sort out a contract with a panel manufacturer after shipping v1 and get some panels produced just for them to whatever specs would be best

If they can find a panel marketed as 60hz that happens to be capable of 120hz, I could see that happening. I don't know if they'll be big enough to have a custom screen made though.

It's still 60 Hz per eye though.

And I subscribed to this thread on the off chance that it's a semi-official thread for now. Basically whenever someone had a comment about the Rift previously, we just grabbed whatever thread was most recent. :p

There won't be an OT, so I guess this thread is the de facto spot for now. I suppose this thread will be the impressions thread and then there will eventually be a mods thread.

$750,000 stretch goal when they're nowhere near funded for their initial $65,000 is a big faux pas.

Have these guys ever made a game before? I need to check on that before giving them any money.

I would order this if I thought I could develop something for it. Otherwise, blowing a bunch of cash to play with a devkit would be a bit much. I am still tempted though.

Ding

No. It's something they would love to do, since VR and motion tracking especially benefits from it, but even the consumer device is a long shot for 120hz. Dev kit is 60hz.
All true. I will mention that the tracking "chip" in the dev Rift updates at 1000Hz, so the display is not directly impacting the frequency of the head tracking. (The end-to-end latency is still affected. A faster video frame rate could get the photons to your eyes a bit (8ms?) faster at 120Hz.)

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
$750,000 stretch goal when they're nowhere near funded for their initial $65,000 is a big faux pas.

Not to mention that the game seems to cut between third and first person all the time.

Third person with an HMD is pretty bad the few times I tried it.

LordCanti

I would order this if I thought I could develop something for it. Otherwise, blowing a bunch of cash to play with a devkit would be a bit much. I am still tempted though.

If I couldn't have justified the purchase by paying for it entirely with a small fraction of the money I made on Diablo 3, I wouldn't be getting one either. I would pine for the thing like I'd never pined for anything else, but as a college student, I couldn't have spent $300 on it.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
7-10 weeks for my devkit to ship, probably, since my order number is in the 45,000s. Ah well.

Blizzard

Banned
I didn't know rFactor 2 is already compatible.

Perfect game to test VR. I can't wait.

I should get mine in a month or so.
Is there a link/source for the rFactor 2 support?

Where are you guys getting the rfactor 2 info? I know there have been numerous threads on the ISI forums wishing for it, but Tim Wheatley had said he asked for a dev kit, but was denied (obviously didn't care to pay for one at the time). Is there some updated story I'm not aware of? I LOVE rfactor 2.
Ah I see someone else already asked.

As far as I know, the pCARS people wanted to get an early devkit, and one of their devs confirmed on the forum that they ordered one (perhaps personally), and plan to support it in the future. But, as far as I know, no racing game currently has confirmed support for NOW, and the game that was presumably being played in the looking-over-shoulder picture is unknown.

Tankshell

I can't wait to play Skyrim with an OR, already made up a list of mods I think will make it a great experience :)

Yeah, I'm with you on this, only problem I can foresee is inventory management, Valve's TF2 wiki guide for the Rift mentions that all of the menu screens etc that contain text are basically unusable due to the low resolution of the developer kits.

Every time I hear impressions about the Rift or see threads about it pop up, I wonder if I should just go ahead and buy the thing, even if I'm not a developer. I constantly see "WAIT FOR THE CONSUMER VERSION," but $300 for a peak into the future is a very low barrier of entry. I guess the only thing giving me pause is the next-gen consoles, since I'm planning to get them both.

How many GAFers that are getting a Rift are not developers?

Is there a link/source for the rFactor 2 support?

Ah I see someone else already asked.

As far as I know, the pCARS people wanted to get an early devkit, and one of their devs confirmed on the forum that they ordered one (perhaps personally), and plan to support it in the future. But, as far as I know, no racing game currently has confirmed support for NOW, and the game that was presumably being played in the looking-over-shoulder picture is unknown.

I was going by the OP and since they posted an awesome picture on FB a couple days ago, I thought it was official; but I can't find anything online.

482373_349133638521490_1861101507_n.jpg

MrBig

Yeah, I'm with you on this, only problem I can foresee is inventory management, Valve's TF2 wiki guide for the Rift mentions that all of the menu screens etc that contain text are basically unusable due to the low resolution of the developer kits.

SkyUI allows you to adjust the size of the menu text, at least

Blizzard

Banned
I was going by the OP and since they posted an awesome picture on FB a couple days ago, I thought it was official; but I can't find anything online.

I thought your post said Twitter, and then I was searching the internet, and now it says FB which matches something I saw on a forum. But on that forum someone asked which dev and there wasn't an answer. Was it the rFactor 2 Facebook for sure? And has it been removed since then, Mojang style?

I think rFactor 2 is the most likely answer, I just can't find anything concrete.

I just saw that small 3-man team team is creating slow-paced exploration/adventure game in the style of Myst for Oculus Rift. It is called Gallery: Six Elements.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EFFp3DHK3Q

They are currently collecting funds on Kickstarter.
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/494598080/the-gallery-six-elements

This looks perfect for Oculus. Imagine a game like this with co-op. "Come see what I found over here!" "Don't press that, it's a trap!" "Aaaah!" "Where are you?"

Except without the Aahh so long as there are no electrodes placed on your ears.

Tankshell

SkyUI allows you to adjust the size of the menu text, at least

That could help. Regardless of all that stuff, I am just looking forward to wandering aimlessly around Skyrim gawping at all the sights. The other thing that apparently causes problems with the current Rift open source drivers and Skyrim are shadows, I think they need to be totally disabled at the moment.

p2535748

I am bizarrely excited for this, as in more excited than I have been about anything in gaming since probably the PS3 release. To be clear, I know my expectations are too high, I just love the ideas here and can't wait to try it.

I'm order #212, so hopefully I'll be in the first batch.

TxdoHawk

Every time I hear impressions about the Rift or see threads about it pop up, I wonder if I should just go ahead and buy the thing, even if I'm not a developer. I constantly see "WAIT FOR THE CONSUMER VERSION," but $300 for a peak into the future is a very low barrier of entry. I guess the only thing giving me pause is the next-gen consoles, since I'm planning to get them both.

That would include me. TF2 support was the final nail in the coffin, being my most-played modern PC game, but in general I think a lot of interesting content will trickle out.

Plus, as I mentioned in an earlier post, I think we are far, far away from a consumer version at the moment. There's just too much work and experimentation to be done before this kind of thing is plug-and-play ready for your average Joe.

I expect it all to be very rough around the edges for awhile, command line flags, hacked-in patches and what have you, but that's kind of exciting in a way. I had an email exchange with Joe Ludwig about the TF2 implementation and he's genuinely interested in feedback from the community because quite frankly, this is uncharted territory.

If you are the kind of person to kick yourself for early adopting when the next version of something comes out though, then I wouldn't buy. We already know the next iteration of the Rift will likely blow the doors off this model, that is practically a given due to the compromises made.

MrBig

That could help. Regardless of all that stuff, I am just looking forward to wondering aimlessly around Skyrim gawping at all the sights. The other thing that apparently causes problems with the current Rift open source drivers and Skyrim are shadows, I think they need to be totally disabled at the moment.

I'm sure Bethesda will implement native support, with all the people that have already expressed their interest in playing Skyrim in VR

Is anyone here actually planning on developing something with this puppy?

Looking into it. I can't imagine an actual retail project will come out of the development plans my small team of 4 guys have, but I like to think the experiments, and trial & error approach we will be taking, will help the people with really good ideas and really big budgets improve their overall experience.

Tankshell

Is anyone here actually planning on developing something with this puppy?

Yes, but only after I have had my fix of retrofitted game VR awesomeness. I have no idea what I will attempt to create yet, probably some sort of "experience" thing rather than a full blown game.

1-D_FTW

All true. I will mention that the tracking "chip" in the dev Rift updates at 1000Hz, so the display is not directly impacting the frequency of the head tracking. (The end-to-end latency is still affected. A faster video frame rate could get the photons to your eyes a bit (8ms?) faster at 120Hz.)

The last part is key with head tracking. I think Carmack talked about this during Quakecon (or maybe some where else), but with VR, the lower you can get the latency, the more believable it becomes to the brain. And they specifically mention refresh rate as a way to cross those difficult low latency barriers.

In fact, I know he talked about this at Quakecon now that I think about it. Because he told people to go check out the 120hz monitors they had set up. And then mentioned while those are good and most people can tell the difference, everybody would notice a major difference in VR at 60hz compared to 120hz.

I thought your post said Twitter, and then I was searching the internet, and now it says FB which matches something I saw on a forum. But on that forum someone asked which dev and there wasn't an answer. Was it the rFactor 2 Facebook for sure? And has it been removed since then, Mojang style?

I think rFactor 2 is the most likely answer, I just can't find anything concrete.

Yeah sadly there's nothing out there confirming it is indeed rfactor2.

It was on Oculus VR's Official FB page. No mention of the game of course. I wonder where the OP got the info from.

LordCanti

I think most of us are just enthusiasts that want to see the "future" a little bit earlier. I'm only in my early twenties, but even I've spent the better part of two decades being disappointed time and time again by "VR" games (in the arcade, virtual boy, etc) that didn't deliver on their promises in any way. Now we've finally got the technology to do it properly, and this is the first glimpse into what it looks like. $300 didn't seem like too much of an investment for that opportunity.

It's on the Oculus Wiki, ill trim that list later if there's no other supporting info.

There were a bunch of games that came out saying they'd support the Rift, but as far as I know, none of them ever had devkits and they still don't have them now. It doesn't mean that they won't patch in support later, or that they haven't been working on it, but it also doesn't mean that they will.

The only things 100% confirmed for the Rift are TF2 and whatever demos are in the SDK. We think some unreal demos will be around (citadel and a couple others) and we think that there will be some Unity demos (the spaceship level they've shown for instance), but we don't know for sure. I'm not counting any of the games that will be supported via third party mods, because no one knows what state they'll be in (Half-Life 2 looks pretty solid based on some youtube videos, but until it's running on the Rift, it's hard to say).

TedNindo

If someone made a driving sim this could actually provide an affordable way to teach people how to drive before they hit the streets. Without anyone having to be put at risk.

The amazing thing is that they could simulate situations that occur in the real world that aren't teachable right now because you can't easely set up that situation in the real world. You could hop from driving on the highway, to mountain passes to inner city in seconds. Made a parking error? Reset position.
You'd be fully prepared before stepping into a real car.

The only thing needed is a wheel + pedals, the rift and a computer. All consumer products.

TxdoHawk

I'm not counting any of the games that will be supported via third party mods, because no one knows what state they'll be in (Half-Life 2 looks pretty solid based on some youtube videos, but until it's running on the Rift, it's hard to say).

Truthfully, I wouldn't be shocked if we start to see more of fanbases attempting to patch in Rift support than we see companies officially coding it in themselves. Tons of older 3D games out there that will never get touched otherwise, they're going to make for a tempting target.

I can definitely see the value in having a separate "officially supported" section in the OP though.

LordCanti

rift developers are getting 4 months free access to unity pro

http://www.oculusvr.com/press/oculus-rift-developers-get-extra-boost-of-support-from-unity-technologies/

the slow shipping is a pain for those of us that ordered later, but that means we'll have more to use on them when they do arrive. I hope they give us access to the tools so we can at least get things set up in advance.

Would I be a bad person if I made an OR compatible Superman simulator in Unity and then sold it for a dollar?

Edit: For clarification, this would be a jank cash-in.

Truthfully, I wouldn't be shocked if we start to see more of fanbases attempting to patch in Rift support than we see companies officially coding it in themselves. Tons of older 3D games out there that will never get touched otherwise, they're going to make for a tempting target.

I can definitely see the value in having a separate "officially supported" section in the OP though.

Oh for sure. If it's even a remotely successful game from the past couple of years, people are going to shoehorn Rift support into it. Some of the work has been done already by a couple of driver companies (and one guy that later joined Oculus). We just don't know the state of any individual games they've been working on.

Personally, I want Mirror's Edge and Skyrim support. I want to make myself puke the entire contents of my stomach up in ME, and then just kind of walk around Skyrim (heavily modded) and look at things afterwards.

If someone made a driving sim this could actually provide an affordable way to teach people how to drive before they hit the streets. Without anyone having to be put at risk.

The amazing thing is that they could simulate situations that occur in the real world that aren't teachable right now because you can't easely set up that situation in the real world. You could hop from driving on the highway, to mountain passes to inner city in seconds. Made a parking error? Reset position.
You'd be fully prepared before stepping into a real car.

The only thing needed is a wheel + pedals, the rift and a computer. All consumer products.

If it will be popular, things like this will happen sooner or later. But if I remember correctly, Palmer Luckey first wanna make it popular for Gamers and the Gaming-Industry.

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
How to roughly find out your waittime:

Order # 000000 - 010000 = ~ 7500 Kickstarter dev kits as not all the backers ordered an oculus rift
Order # 020000 - 021500 = 1500 first post kickstarter backers. These were going to come with DOOM3.
Order # 043000 + current = DOOM 3 was never promised for these developer kits

So if your order number is over 43000, you'll have to wait for at least 9000 dev kits to ship first, meaning at least 6-8 weeks before they even get to the 43000+ batch

Gowans

I'm order I'm the 045000s gona be a while.

Awesome news about the free four months of unity, ill add it all to the op when I get home.

jack.

Banned
rift developers are getting 4 months free access to unity pro

http://www.oculusvr.com/press/oculus-rift-developers-get-extra-boost-of-support-from-unity-technologies/

the slow shipping is a pain for those of us that ordered later, but that means we'll have more to use on them when they do arrive. I hope they give us access to the tools so we can at least get things set up in advance.

This is awesome news.

I should be in the first batch. Really looking forward to finally getting my hands on this thing.

LordCanti

I'm almost 9000 deep (so probably 7000 Rift's). If they can get me a Rift before the end of April, I'll count myself fortunate compared to people that pre-ordered after the kickstarter.

Artanisix

Order # 000000 - 010000 = ~ 7500 Kickstarter dev kits as not all the backers ordered an oculus rift
Order # 020000 - 021500 = 1500 first post kickstarter backers. These were going to come with DOOM3.

So if your order number is over 43000, you'll have to wait for at least 9000 dev kits to ship first, meaning at least 6-8 weeks before they even get to the 43000+ batch

Yuck. I'm in the first 9000 or so, but for those who are disheartened, they did say that it'll start off 1000-1500 a week and then ramp up. Hopefully it's a significant ramp up.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.

I'm 44101 and I had Doom 3 promised to me.

LordCanti

So...apparently lost in that Unity 4-month pro free trial announcement was the revelation that development on the Rift (through Unity) would require a pro license.

The pro license starts at $1500. Ouch.

1-D_FTW

I think most of us are just enthusiasts that want to see the "future" a little bit earlier. I'm only in my early twenties, but even I've spent the better part of two decades being disappointed time and time again by "VR" games (in the arcade, virtual boy, etc) that didn't deliver on their promises in any way. Now we've finally got the technology to do it properly, and this is the first glimpse into what it looks like. $300 didn't seem like too much of an investment for that opportunity.

There were a bunch of games that came out saying they'd support the Rift, but as far as I know, none of them ever had devkits and they still don't have them now. It doesn't mean that they won't patch in support later, or that they haven't been working on it, but it also doesn't mean that they will.

The only things 100% confirmed for the Rift are TF2 and whatever demos are in the SDK. We think some unreal demos will be around (citadel and a couple others) and we think that there will be some Unity demos (the spaceship level they've shown for instance), but we don't know for sure. I'm not counting any of the games that will be supported via third party mods, because no one knows what state they'll be in (Half-Life 2 looks pretty solid based on some youtube videos, but until it's running on the Rift, it's hard to say).

I would say Hawken is pretty much gonna be there (unless it's really unsuitable for games at this stage). They specifically mentioned it in an interview. They also mentioned it would be purchasable (which makes sense. A F2P game would suddenly have an item many people would gladly buy.)

LordCanti

I would say Hawken is pretty much gonna be there (unless it's really unsuitable for games at this stage). They specifically mentioned it in an interview. They also mentioned it would be purchasable (which makes sense. A F2P game would suddenly have an item many people would gladly buy.)

We thought that Doom 3 BFG was a lock until it suddenly wasn't. I'm sure Hawken's devs will get it done (Unreal has support after all) but I don't know when.

Top Bottom