• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift - Dev Kit Discussion [Orders Arriving]

mrklaw

MrArseFace
hawken looks ok, but from the limited play time I've had, I don't feel much of a need to look around inside the mech - maybe more for immersion?

Mononoke

Banned
I seriously can not wait for this. I'm more excited for this then any of the new consoles. I would have bought a Dev kit if it wasn't for the resolution not being as good as the final build. So I'm willing to wait. But every time I see a video or write up on this, it makes me want it so badly.

Nymerio

No, that's the devkit shipping to backers. We can only hope they hire a design firm for the consumer version, eh?

huh, design firm for the RGB stripes? I meant that Carmack said that some people were seeing the stripes with the garage built Rift. Dunno if the dev version is still as bad.

jack.

Banned
Can you do me a small favor? Let us know if your code for the TF2 hat is bundled in the box. I'm just curious, they haven't been super clear about how those will be distributed.

Sure, I'll post when I get it. I'm in SoCal so I think it should get here pretty quick once it actually ships.

itsgreen

I seriously can not wait for this. I'm more excited for this then any of the new consoles. I would have bought a Dev kit if it wasn't for the resolution not being as good as the final build. So I'm willing to wait. But every time I see a video or write up on this, it makes me want it so badly.

I have exactly the same feelings...

For me it would by ideal if NG consoles supported it. Sony shouldn't be much of a problem, but MS are always tough and want control/money for everything connected to their device. But I'll gladly, nah not gladly, pay 10$ extra to have the Rift on my 720.

Blizzard

Banned
The highest order number I've seen change to processed for shipping was 004721 mentioned on reddit. It sounds like it's only updated for people in Canada/USA/South America right now though.

FinKL

I'm hoping they have at least 4 weeks of Devkits to ship for the initially batch. I'm in the 44xxx batch so 6-9 weeks if they just now got their first shipment.

Can't wait for first impressions though.

LordCanti

The highest order number I've seen change to processed for shipping was 004721 mentioned on reddit. It sounds like it's only updated for people in Canada/USA/South America right now though.

As an American in the 8k's I can confirm that we aren't in this batch :p

jett

D-Member
huh, design firm for the RGB stripes? I meant that Carmack said that some people were seeing the stripes with the garage built Rift. Dunno if the dev version is still as bad.

Man, things got all mixed up here. I didn't realize you were talking about seeing the RGB stripes in the prototype Carmack showed. Now that I think about it that may have been the case indeed.

I misread and though you said the pictures posted earlier belonged to that garage prototype. Thought you meant to say that it still looked like something built in a garage(it kinda does, it kinda is too). That's why I brought the design firm stuff. :p

mrklaw

MrArseFace
new update from oculus, including a special offer to buy the razer hydra at 50% off.

Anyone used the hydra? is it any good?

Glassboy

My order number is 2333 and is currrently processing for shipment. I cannot wait for this thing. Hopefully, when the consumer version launches there will be enough units to go around. It would be cool of oculus to sell the final version to the people who kickstarted the project.

jack.

Banned
You can probably find the Hydra for less than 50% of the Razer store's price if you don't need the Portal 2 bundle version. It's been on Woot for $40 a bunch of times and you can get it from Amazon for like $62.

According to the Torque3D guy's reddit AMA, the Hydra isn't particularly precise, and I recall Carmack saying roughly the same thing a while back. I think peripherals will have to be designed from the ground up for VR, stuff like the Hydra or the Kinect aren't really able to deliver the necessary fidelity.

I'm interested to see some of Oculus and Valve's GDC presentations, does GDC stream them or release them on video soon-ish?

PewPewK

Hawken indeed looks great. Shame body is not rendered.

Well it is only an early build of their Hawken integration, so hopefully they'll play with the assets a bit more and add a chair/body. But I guess even if they don't, Hawken looks like fun.

Also, I'm set to Processing for shipping (Order #3138). Wonder if that means I snuck into the first wave.

Durante

I'm in Austria:
Order Status: Processing - Your order is being processed for shipping.

HYPE!

I'm in Austria:

HYPE!
fecal-matter44-at-precisely-said-moment44-transcended-from-theory-to-a-more-palpable-state.gif

J-Rzez

hawken looks ok, but from the limited play time I've had, I don't feel much of a need to look around inside the mech - maybe more for immersion?

This is what I expect the most from this unit, a new layer of immersion. Even if it wouldn't bring new levels of gameplay to me, but deliver immersion on another level, I'd be more than happy with it.

outsida

new update from oculus, including a special offer to buy the razer hydra at 50% off.

Anyone used the hydra? is it any good?

The Hydra is good. It has some quirks, such as the distance of the controllers to the base has to be pretty close for them to work properly, and some electronic items can cause interference with the magnetic field. As with any new control method there is a bit of a learning curve to get by in order for it to feel "right". Lastly you'll have to learn the sixense software (ignore the razer stuff as its outdated) in order to build MCE profiles to get the device working with any games that don't already have MCE's (or if you want to edit those that already exist). With that said it's a slight step down from a mouse but a definite step up from a controller. I'm using it exclusively on my pc for everything outside of racing and fighting games at the moment.

LordCanti

Wait what. Just read this in a Verge article. Is he talking about orders or actual completed constructed devkits?

Accompanying video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_U_SjZelCE

Unless his colleague misspoke, he's definitely saying they've got 10k kits completed. I don't know how that could be possible given the schedule they've given out, but it would be awesome if the only thing holding up delivery was the speed at which they can put them in boxes and get them shipped out.

Unless his colleague misspoke, he's definitely saying they've got 10k kits completed. I don't know how that could be possible given the schedule they've given out, but it would be awesome if the only thing holding up delivery was the speed at which they can put them in boxes and get them shipped out.

What are the estimates of number of orders that have been placed in total, between the kickstarter and ordering on the site. I am pretty sure I saw it was in the 10k+ range.

Blizzard

Banned
For some mixed/negative reviews, there is this Reddit thread and the linked review based on the Hawken etc. demos:

http://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/1b1xjj/i_played_hawken_on_the_oculus_rift_and_it_made_me/

In particular the person mentioned perspective drifting (I think the Oculus is supposed to be able to center itself, so I'm not sure what was happening there), and everything looking super blurry. Someone on Reddit suggested the blur was because of the refresh rate, and I don't know if that's true, but I don't anticipate people producing small 120 Hz displays any time soon, so who knows how it will work out.

Unigine support, possibly already mentioned: http://unigine.com/devlog/2013/03/26/106

Q&A with someone about Torque 3D (they may only have the preview version, not the 7" version of the devkit): http://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/1b1smc/im_david_wyand_head_of_torque_3d_development_at/

Quantum

FWIW:

Order ID: 0041xx
Purchase Date: Aug 2,2012 10:22 PM PDT

ridiculously excited to put this through its paces.

Blizzard

Banned
I've used UDK before and will probably use the Oculus-specific version again...but actually, Torque 3D is looking cool as well. What's especially cool is that Torque 3D is open-source and uses a super permissive license, so if you have the time and inclination, you can basically do whatever you want to change engine internals.

It was 10k. After TF2's announcement, 13k doesn't sound unreasonable.

I ordered about a week ago; my order number is in the (very) high 47000s. Going by the chart that was posted somewhere back up the thread, that would make nearly 14000 orders up to that point. With all the GDC hype I wouldn't be surprised if that number was a couple thousand higher by now.

1-D_FTW

The Hydra is good. It has some quirks, such as the distance of the controllers to the base has to be pretty close for them to work properly, and some electronic items can cause interference with the magnetic field. As with any new control method there is a bit of a learning curve to get by in order for it to feel "right". Lastly you'll have to learn the sixense software (ignore the razer stuff as its outdated) software in order to build MCE profiles in order to get the device working with any games that don't already have MCE's (or if you want to edit those). With that said it's a slight step down from a mouse but a definite step up from a controller. I'm using it exclusively on my pc for everything outside of racing and fighting games at the moment.

Interesting. It was on sale for 45 dollars a while ago, but I backed out when a bunch of Amazon reviews mentioned there was a lot of stuttering when using a 3D Vision monitor. I guess the signal from the glasses must some how be related to that.

May still pick one up when the consumer edition comes out, but by then, who knows if the Novint Xio will be out.

Feep

Banned
After some muscling, I was the first in line at the Oculus Rift at GDC. Nate was there. He walked me through Hawken.

Holy fuck.

YuShtink

Sounds like the little Oculus Booth has been completely overrun since the doors opened. Here's a current pic of the line from Twitter:

BGYrApTCEAA-45J.jpg:large

Top Bottom