• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift - Dev Kit Discussion [Orders Arriving]

jack.

Banned
So...apparently lost in that Unity 4-month pro free trial announcement was the revelation that development on the Rift (through Unity) would require a pro license.

The pro license starts at $1500. Ouch.

New update confirms this. This is really disappointing.

Blizzard

Banned
So...apparently lost in that Unity 4-month pro free trial announcement was the revelation that development on the Rift (through Unity) would require a pro license.

Yeah, I was thinking I might finally try Unity again, but $1500 is pretty expensive for hobby experimentation, so I'd rather not do the limited time trial thing. I'm hoping the UDK (or new version of the UDK) ends up supporting it for free. It would kind of suck if all major engine support for the new hardware ends up being behind $1000+ pay walls or limited demos. :p

Also, from the official Oculus site, they had said:
We’re working closely with Epic and Unity on integrating support for the Oculus Rift in the free versions of their engines and will keep the community posted on the progress.
So I guess there may have been a change of plans regarding the "free versions"?

Also:
Kickstarter said:
Peter and Palmer show off a demo we’re calling “Oculus DriVR”, a simple racing game we built in a few hours using this package from the Unity Asset Store. Our best lap is 1:09:42; come try to beat it at GDC!
It sounds like the racing game from that earlier picture may just be a demo they made themselves, rather than any existing product.

beast786

I was thinking that heavy rain /beyond and David cage games are probably the best fit with OR. The slower pace and the game about emotion and experience would be a perfect fit

LordCanti

Yeah, I was thinking I might finally try Unity again, but $1500 is pretty expensive for hobby experimentation, so I'd rather not do the limited time trial thing. I'm hoping the UDK (or new version of the UDK) ends up supporting it for free. It would kind of suck if all major engine support for the new hardware ends up being behind $1000+ pay walls or limited demos. :p

Also, from the official Oculus site, they had said:

So I guess there may have been a change of plans regarding the "free versions"?

Also:

It sounds like the racing game from that earlier picture may just be a demo they made themselves, rather than any existing product.

It's a shame that hobbyist devs will be turned away from Unity, so yeah, hopefully Epic will welcome them with open arms.

Edit: Unity and Sony just announced a partnership to make it easier for devs to use Unity on the PS3/PS4/Vita. I wonder....

I was thinking that heavy rain /beyond and David cage games are probably the best fit with OR. The slower pace and the game about emotion and experience would be a perfect fit

Staying in first person the whole time is pretty important to Rift support, but absolutely. The less twitchy the game, the better.

TxdoHawk

Yuck. I'm in the first 9000 or so, but for those who are disheartened, they did say that it'll start off 1000-1500 a week and then ramp up. Hopefully it's a significant ramp up.

I would be pretty shocked if the ramp up was much beyond that. Even 1500 a week sounds crazy to me for an operation of this size.

This was a bit of an unpleasant surprise. I'm not entirely clear why it should require pro functionality, either.

How to roughly find out your waittime:

Order # 000000 - 010000 = ~ 7500 Kickstarter dev kits as not all the backers ordered an oculus rift
Order # 020000 - 021500 = 1500 first post kickstarter backers. These were going to come with DOOM3.
Order # 043000 + current = DOOM 3 was never promised for these developer kits

So if your order number is over 43000, you'll have to wait for at least 9000 dev kits to ship first, meaning at least 6-8 weeks before they even get to the 43000+ batch

Feels bad man. I just didn't have a way to jump on the Kickstarter at the time, but ouch...

I even considered trying to buy someone's kit aftermarket instead of just ordering one, but who knows what the gouging will be like.

LordCanti

This was a bit of an unpleasant surprise. I'm not entirely clear why it should require pro functionality, either.

Feels bad man. I just didn't have a way to jump on the Kickstarter at the time, but ouch...

I even considered trying to buy someone's kit aftermarket instead of just ordering one, but who knows what the gouging will be like.

Reddit seems to think that the pro version is required for third party Unity plugins, which is what Rift support would be I guess. So essentially Unity isn't willing to change their business model to suit the Rift. Take that with a grain of salt, because I can't confirm it.

As for how much the Rift should go for...

$500
for the TF2 hat.

BobTheSpy

Banned
I dunno, I don't want slow-paced experiences on VR - I want fucking rad adventures full of explosions and near-death experiences.

Oneironaut

Neo Member
I got Euro Truck Simulator 2 yesterday in the Steam Spring sale. I've put 10 hours into the game so far.

Today I found a post from one of the devs saying that they have ordered an Oculus Rift and might add support to the game.

Blizzard

Banned
According to a poster on mtbs (take with a grain of salt, but I don't have a reason to doubt this person), they received a reply from Oculus support saying "Sorry for the confusion. It's true, our estimates have changed. It's probably more realistic to expect website pre-orders to start shipping closer to June.

We are sorry for the delays."

At this point maybe I should scale back my expectations and hope we get hardware by Christmas. :p

LordCanti

According to a poster on mtbs (take with a grain of salt, but I don't have a reason to doubt this person), they received a reply from Oculus support saying "Sorry for the confusion. It's true, our estimates have changed. It's probably more realistic to expect website pre-orders to start shipping closer to June.

We are sorry for the delays."

At this point maybe I should scale back my expectations and hope we get hardware by Christmas. :p

I want to smack whoever gave out the "500 Rifts produced per day" estimate. He was off by 200 or so.

cheesetom

I predict the deluge of kickstarter rift videos will make time fly. June will be here before you know it.

I hope.

:-(

YuShtink

No it isn't full positional tracking. There is neck rotation though, so leaning your head to either side will rotate the view accordingly. But full leaning with your body will not register.

MrBig

No it isn't full positional tracking. There is neck rotation though, so leaning your head to either side will rotate the view accordingly. But full leaning with your body will not register.

Yes that's how it is with the devkit, but that's not what the video nor I are referring to, which is actual leaning. It's more specifically referenced at 26:50

Yes that's how it is with the devkit, but that's not what the video nor I are referring to, which is actual leaning. It's more specifically referenced at 26:50

I hope they're going to do that by just sticking a camera on the helmet and tracking the ceiling or something rather than throwing in a kinect.

Blizzard

Banned
Just a little extra note about the Unity 4-month pro trial license:

Unity3D site said:
Lastly, games made with our Pro trial licenses may not be distributed nor used for commercial purposes.

It sounds like a lot of people will be gambling on UDK working with this, and working for free, if they can't even distribute hobbyist projects made using the Unity limited pro trial. :p

LordCanti

Just a little extra note about the Unity 4-month pro trial license:

It sounds like a lot of people will be gambling on UDK working with this, and working for free, if they can't even distribute hobbyist projects made using the limited pro trial. :p

Even if Epic required a license for distribution, most of the hobbyist projects will be too small potatoes for them to notice or care anyway. If they became big enough, getting the license would be a trivial matter.

Apus

Neo Member
I'm in the 43,000+ order # crowd. Kinda sucks, I really do want this thing asap, but hopefully the longer wait time means there'll be more support across a range of games. So hopefully the silver lining is more games, more support and a better experience out of the box.

U2NUMB

I got Euro Truck Simulator 2 yesterday in the Steam Spring sale. I've put 10 hours into the game so far.

Today I found a post from one of the devs saying that they have ordered an Oculus Rift and might add support to the game.

This has me very excited as I just bought the game today and have put a few hours into it already. Oculus with wheel = so awesome!

LordCanti

I'm in the 43,000+ order # crowd. Kinda sucks, I really do want this thing asap, but hopefully the longer wait time means there'll be more support across a range of games. So hopefully the silver lining is more games, more support and a better experience out of the box.

As order # 8000 something, I'm telling myself the same thing. The people that get it in the first batch will likely play a little TF2, some of the SDK demos in Unity/Unreal, and then they'll bash their heads against poorly supported third party games that don't quite work right yet. Some people will fix those games, and hopefully by the time I get a Rift, they'll have buttoned down the games I want to play.

GraveHorizon

poop meter feature creep
So is this worth a pre-order for an average person with no developing skills? Will there really be enough things to use it for to justify spending $300 in addition to the consumer model down the line? If I get it, it'll be before April 1st to get that TF2 hat. The calibration probably means I won't be able to whip it out easily to show it to other people, which is part of why I want it.

Gowans

They are GDC bound

rP2TlMa.jpg

Man I can wait to see one of these postage boxes show up here.

yeah i would think they want _everyone_ developing and experimenting stuff with it, so supporting it with the Free version of Unity would make a lot of sense.

Blizzard

Banned
Good news in contrast to the Unity approach, UDK support is confirmed for free!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1523379957/oculus-rift-step-into-the-game/posts/436597

Today, we're announcing that we've partnered with Epic Games to release a custom, Oculus-ready version of the Unreal Development Kit (UDK), the free edition of Unreal Engine 3 (UE3). The Oculus-ready UDK will be available to all Oculus developers.

It looks like there are some new features coming along as well with this, like full screen supersampling up to 2x, and the ability to head-look during Matinee sequences (which can be used for canned animation/cutscenes).

^ That's really cool to have a custom engine ready to go.
(They also said the "snowy village" demo won't be included with the devkit, for some reason.)

I'll try to ask this question again:
Footage recorded with a 3D camera... will it have to be viewed from the same position as it was recorded, or can you position footage as sprites without losing the natural 3D?

landscape-renderer-162.png

If these trees were "3D video sprites", would this scene look natural with a Rift or would the 3D be "off" because of the distance from the original tree to the 3d camera?

Anyone have any idea?

LordCanti

Unity should probably rethink their stance before absolutely no one uses it to make Rift games. Unless Unity is so much better than UDK that someone would shell out $1500 for the privilege.

I'm kind of bummed that the snow level won't be included, but how hard could it be to add snow to the summer version? I want to see those 3D snowflakes everyone has been raving about.

So is this worth a pre-order for an average person with no developing skills? Will there really be enough things to use it for to justify spending $300 in addition to the consumer model down the line? If I get it, it'll be before April 1st to get that TF2 hat. The calibration probably means I won't be able to whip it out easily to show it to other people, which is part of why I want it.

I think the Rift will probably maintain most of its value from the time it comes out until the time the retail version hits shelves. It's $300 now, and if you can get $200 for it on Ebay later, you'd really only have spent $100 on it. Having said that, this is definitely a developer kit with a low res screen and it's not for people expecting a finished product.

I think it would be fairly easy to demo though. It doesn't have to be perfectly adjusted for someone to get the idea, though adjustments seem to be pretty easy to make on the fly (pop an eye cup out, adjust the distance with the side screws, etc).

MrBig

Unity should probably rethink their stance before absolutely no one uses it to make Rift games. Unless Unity is so much better than UDK that someone would shell out $1500 for the privilege.

I'm kind of bummed that the snow level won't be included, but how hard could it be to add snow to the summer version? I want to see those 3D snowflakes everyone has been raving about.

I think the Rift will probably maintain most of its value from the time it comes out until the time the retail version hits shelves. It's $300 now, and if you can get $200 for it on Ebay later, you'd really only have spent $100 on it. Having said that, this is definitely a developer kit with a low res screen and it's not for people expecting a finished product.

I think it would be fairly easy to demo though. It doesn't have to be perfectly adjusted for someone to get the idea, though adjustments seem to be pretty easy to make on the fly (pop an eye cup out, adjust the distance with the side screws, etc).

If the consumer version significantly changes features, eg positional tracking, new versions of games likely wouldn't support the OR without it, and its utility would be extremely limited. I wouldn't be buying a dev kit expecting to do anything other than testing or building VR experiences pre release of v1, not as a product intended to be used indefinitely or to be sold later.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
If the consumer version significantly changes features, eg positional tracking, new versions of games likely wouldn't support the OR without it, and its utility would be extremely limited. I wouldn't be buying a dev kit expecting to do anything other than testing or building VR experiences pre release of v1, not as a product intended to be used indefinitely or to be sold later.

they'd need to make any changes like positional tracking availble for the devkit too, for devs to support it in the consumer units. Might not be beautifully integrated but should support it.

If you buy a dev kit and arent a developer just be prepared to have to buy another one once the feature set changes.

If I were you I'd at least wait for impressions to see how the dev kit performs.

MrBig

they'd need to make any changes like positional tracking availble for the devkit too, for devs to support it in the consumer units. Might not be beautifully integrated but should support it.

Consumer release may be over a year and a half out, if they do that they'd have to offer revised dev kits later on or just offer software support for the new features and ship out the consumer version for testing just before public release.

They really shouldve upped the price on the dev kit. Im order number 47k and I feel like I have to wait for them to ship about 40k dev kits to people who arent even developers.

DieH@rd

Banned
They really shouldve upped the price on the dev kit. Im order number 47k and I feel like I have to wait for them to ship about 40k dev kits to people who arent even developers.

That's just the order number, it does not represent the total number of preorders. You are under 15k mark.

Top Bottom