• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift - Dev Kit Discussion [Orders Arriving]

Blizzard

Banned
After some muscling, I was the first in line at the Oculus Rift at GDC. Nate was there. He walked me through Hawken.

Holy fuck.
Get back here and post more, you fiend!

*edit* Wait, I just realized Feep has the hype touch of death. Don't post more, lest people get let down ala post 217! :p (http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=16184727)

One thing I did notice from that digital trends article:
The current version is also not designed for glasses, but it is big enough that I didn’t have any problem wearing mine.

I ordered my Hydra today. Thanks for the impressions in here. I'm hoping TF2 which is has native Hydra support is going to be impressive, since it supports the rift too. I'm also hoping the build they talk about of the Tuscan villa will be released, because that sounds really cool.

Feep

Banned
I'll do a detailed writeup tonight...probably. There may be parties!

Short version is that any problems I had with the device will likely be mitigated by time of release...as in, low pixel density. The predictive algorithms were remarkable...apparently the thing has sixty or seventy milliseconds of lag, but I barely felt it.

DieH@rd

Banned
After some muscling, I was the first in line at the Oculus Rift at GDC. Nate was there. He walked me through Hawken.

Holy fuck.

lNl.gif

Just a question to those who played it.

Does it really feel like you are in "another world"?

Do you think that Games with a big sense of scale would work with it, like some exploration Games?

How is the 3D?

Feep

Banned
Writeup time!

I managed to get into the hall a little before everyone else (it involved a British accent, which I had to maintain throughout the demonstration). Result? First in line for the first ever public showing of the Oculus Rift. Enjoy my fake accent in my VERY OWN CHERRY-POPPING VIDEO. Excuse my video taker's vertical idiocy about halfway through.

The Oculus Rift is pretty much as awesome as you thought it would be. The resolution DOES need to be upped, and badly...the first thing I noticed after "Oh my fucking God" was "Goddamn those are some big pixels". It's 720p, but you're only looking at a very small subsection directly....the rest is in periphery. I didn't notice it that much as time went on, but it's a problem.

Also, the field of view isn't AS perfect as people were making it out to be. There's still black on the periphery...perhaps it could have been adjusted closer to my face, or something, but it was there. But exacerbating the problem was the game itself, Hawken, which closes off the view already by putting you, you know, in a cockpit with limited window size. I would be eager to try it out tomorrow or Friday with a different game. Still, once again, it sort of faded away into the back of my mind after a bit.

The final negative was that you really have to hit that sweet spot with the thing on your face, or things get blurry, fast. It stayed in place pretty well, though.

The good? When I was done I guessed that it had 35 or 40 ms of latency, but Nate informed me it was still up in the 60-70 ms range. The predictive algorithms they're using are fantastic, and I didn't really notice lag in any perceptible way. Incredible tech. 3-D was super solid, too. One of the most shocking things is *not* being able to see your arm when you point. People with Kinects and those armband things need to get on this shit, fast.

The other good part is that I was piloting a goddamn mech in a goddamn city and I was goddamn there, fuck you.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Cool video and impressions, although I'm interested why you initially choose to use a British accent? Does it carry more weight at these types of events or something?

Feep

Banned
Cool video and impressions, though I'm interested why you initially choose to use a British accent? Does it carry more weight at these types of events?
British is my best accent. (shrug) It just had to do with me getting into the hall early, but one of the dudes who let me in was still hanging around.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
British is my best accent. (shrug) It just had to do with me getting into the hall early, but one of the dudes who let me in was still hanging around.

Cool, you mention that you could see some black on the periphery, I was recently listening to Gary's impressions from tested.com and he said that you couldn't see the edge of the screen although granted that was on another demo, is it something you could easily miss if you wasn't looking for it?

And most importantly did it really feel like you were there in the game?

Feep

Banned
Cool, you mention that you could see some black on the periphery, I was recently listening to Gary's impressions from tested.com and he said that you couldn't see the edge of the screen although granted that was on another demo, is it something you could easily miss if you wasn't looking for it?

And most importantly did it really feel like you were there in the game?
Apparently there's a dial to adjust how close the optics are to your eyes. Maybe that could have fixed it? We didn't mess with it.

And yeah, I was there. Headphones would have completely removed me from the world.

1-D_FTW

Apparently there's a dial to adjust how close the optics are to your eyes. Maybe that could have fixed it? We didn't mess with it.

And yeah, I was there. Headphones would have completely removed me from the world.

Pretty sure that would have made the difference. The closer you get, the more it should fill your vision. It could have been dialed back for somebody who'd worn glasses previously.

Racer30

Pretty sure that would have made the difference. The closer you get, the more it should fill your vision. It could have been dialed back for somebody who'd worn glasses previously.

This.

And the reason som people get sick, might be because the convergence/divergence is not adjusted properly. It makes a huge difference on me on nvidia`s 3D solution. (3D Vision)

In driver settings you should be able to set it up correctly based on your eyes in an easy way. (As I`m sure you`ll be able to in the consumer version)

Zukuu

Banned
I so can't frigging wait. Hope it'll be incorporated into a lot of games (where it makes sense). In racing games it must be soooo incredible good. I'll buy a wheel just to get that feel.

And he's right, PS Eye / Kinect / Armband / Privat full body mopcap suits can't come soon enough along with this.

I so can't frigging wait. Hope it'll be incorporated into a lot of games (where it makes sense). In racing games it must be soooo incredible good. I'll buy a wheel just to get that feel.

And he's right, PS Eye / Kinect / Armband / Privat full body mopcap suits can't come soon enough along with this.

Man, when this is possible I hope they have a first person martial arts online dungeon crawler rpg. Get a good work out punching and kicking.

1-D_FTW

Man, when this is possible I hope they have a first person martial arts online dungeon crawler rpg. Get a good work out punching and kicking.

Until you lose orientation, slowly nudge your way a little too close to the wall/TV, and karate kick your way to a broken foot/wall/tv.

YuShtink

Its just me or everytime we get near the release date, its pushed beyond ?

29 March cant come sooner.

Looks like it's for real this time. A lot of early backers shipping status changed from "ready" to "processing" the other day, so they are definitely starting to ship either Friday or Monday.

Blizzard

Banned
Until you lose orientation, slowly nudge your way a little too close to the wall/TV, and karate kick your way to a broken foot/wall/tv.
Yeah, remember the old broken TV wiimote days, it would be taken to a whole new level if people are encouraged to dance around with a blindfold on. They'd need warning labels all over the place.

I'm concerned. Feep hype, and a scribblenauts avatar on the same page of this thread.

Actually, I'm not. HOOK IT TO MY BRAIN.

I was so incredibly late to the ball that i'm in the awful 43000 batch (meaning I get to wait like another 6 weeks or so).

HelloMeow

I can't wait for a good and immersive jet/space fighter game. Something that really gives you the feeling of speed, acceleration and maneuverability.

Head position tracking and a Razer Onza-like controller will do for me.

Nymerio

I hope the DCS and AeroFly guys whip something up. Using a TrackIR is pretty cool already, playing this with a Rift must be mindblowing.

YuShtink

Sounds like the hottest thing at GDC this year by far. Really glad to hear that the public is loving it. Ive been seeing nothing but positive tweets, videos, and experiences. God I can't wait til I get mine...

YuShtink

Some random rift GDC demo tweets from throughout the day:

@jaaronfarr 6h
"Oculus Rift VR headset is impressive. Higher res screen will make a difference. Developers have new realism bar to meet."

@MarcelMTG 6h
"Oh wow Oculus VR is the shit, I will actually play FPS again. Trying to resist the urge to spend $300 on the unit."

@VixOrien 6h
"Oh. My. God. The Oculus Rift is phenomenal. Even better than I expected." http://flic.kr/p/e6PKwQ\

@justinfic 6h
"Line for Oculus at #gdc2013 is moving at a rate of one person every few minutes. This is like some full on Space Mountain shit!"

@ThemsAllTook 5h
"There's a line to get in line to demo the Oculus Rift. Both sessions I tried to go to on it filled up completely. Wow."

‏@justinfic 4h
"One hour into the Oculus line. I made it through the first line which was just a line to get into the actual line for Oculus. #gdc2013"

‏@JunkyardRocket 4h
"OMFG, Fucking Oculus Rift is so cool. I will buy this."

@justinfic 3h
"Ok, the Oculus Rift is pretty damn cool. My first instinct after looking around was to reach out with my hands and touch stuff. #gdc2013"

@HeyHeyESJ 3h
"A study in "next-gen idea" contrasts: Oculus Rift talk was full 15 minutes before start. OnLive is less than half full w/ 3 mins to go. "

@helava 3h
"...aaaand yeah, now I need an Oculus Rift. Dammit."

@lewisleong 2h
"Just got to see and use the Oculus Rift. It was AMAZING! This is why I love video games."

@sdw 2h
"@phillryu @wooster @tolmasky Oculus Rift was pretty mindblowing"

@redditoculus 2h
"GDC queue for Oculus Rift demo now "hundreds" long http://bit.ly/Xl3QED #oculus #reddit"

@anthonymurrayGD 59m
"The Oculus Rift is awesome. Totally see a lot of potential in this product."

@GregAring 39m
Tried the oculus rift. very cool work in progress. resolution will improve. Hawken sets the bar low. Can't wait for a dev kit.

New video of Adam Sessler interviewing Palmer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=8fkrsoqmKzg

Great Hawken Reaction Vid (don't think this one was posted yet but I may be wrong):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=pkQMydTDv5c

Wakaloo

Neo Member
This will be fantastic for flight simulators (fast-paced action ones especially). The one issue I always had with flight sims was that moving your head freely never felt natural. You had to struggle with some key+mouse combination, or use that small pad thing joysticks have at the tip.

With this, you can fly your plane/spaceship and look around at the same time. It should be amazing and feel natural.

Donnie

Pretty convincing posh English accent actually. Only spotted a few mistakes, biggest one was saying can't with the US pronunciation, rather than 'carn't' :p Work on that for next time :)

Speaking of can't, I can't wait for this to come out to retail, think its going to be insanely massive. None of the new consoles excite me very much, this to me is really next gen.

YuShtink

Have to post this awesome quote from Valve's Michael Abrash, straight from the TF2 VR talk he's giving at GDC right now:

"When a rocket goes past you in TF2 on the Oculus Rift it's like God on steroids." Michael Abrash #gdc

Unless that twitter poster is lying, I'm not actually there to confirm

Ettie

I wonder how this will affect the programming around the sensation of speed in arcade racers? I'm not sure how accurate they are now, does 1mph in game feel like it would in a car? If you're perceiving the game world in an immersed way with the OR, does it need to be programmed to "feel" accurately real?

MrBig

I wonder how this will affect the programming around the sensation of speed in arcade racers? I'm not sure how accurate they are now, does 1mph in game feel like it would in a car? If you're perceiving the game world in an immersed way with the OR, does it need to be programmed to "feel" accurately real?

There are all sorts of things related to making it feel as if you where physically driving a car, visuals are only a part of it. As long as the game is created at a physical, consistent scale the visual aspect will be easy enough to replicate, but you won't be able to feel the forces of acceleration on you, or hear accurately simulated sounds (though standard game sound tech is fine enough to provide at least a fairly compelling experience). Arcade racers will likely suffer just like FPSs when scale is completely out of wack, though your perception should eventually adjust as long as its consistent.

SinSilla

Well, although "same technology" is quite ignorant, it is indeed a cheap option to get a grasp on relatively high fov stereo imagery.

By definition every vr headset consists of a display(s) / lens combination and some sort of headtracking. So one could say that the VFX1 is the same as a Rift. Which it obviously isn't. VR is more of an evolution than a rocket sciene involving revolution.

Blizzard

Banned
Have to post this awesome quote from Valve's Michael Abrash, straight from the TF2 VR talk he's giving at GDC right now:

"When a rocket goes past you in TF2 on the Oculus Rift it's like God on steroids." Michael Abrash #gdc

Unless that twitter poster is lying, I'm not actually there to confirm
bgfak2pcyaag1wlqxilk.jpg

Apparently he also referenced Snowcrash. That's twice I've thought about that or heard about it in relation to the Rift. It's only a matter of time until someone makes something to melt your brain if you happen to view it. =P

And I thought Michael Abrash sounded familiar! Apparently he wrote "Michael Abrash's Graphics Programming Black Book" way back in 1997, which I just saw mentioned when I was looking for OpenGL/shader/rendering resources and found this: http://www.realtimerendering.com/

Top Bottom