• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift (+ Oculus Touch) is $399 for limited time

Status
Not open for further replies.
so now, after a few days of experience with my Oculus.

1. Sweat is being less of a problem, but still occurs so, ordered the Vrcover. Check

2. After my very first session of Oculus, I didn't feel sick...but I had this urge to take a Shit. I didn't feel that urge at all until after first doing "First contact" in Oculus. Like...It was a huge urge and need to Shit.

3. Ever since that shit, which was solid...I've had diarrhea. Not the painful kind, just the kind where, it aint solid. Don't know if it's the rift or something I ate, but usually if it's something I ate, there is pain involved, and there is no pain with this.

4. I have been really tired. I slept alot more last night and took a nap today after a session as well.

5. my eyes have been feeling weird...they physically feel weird.

Now for the experience of it. The best way to describe, my first experience with the rift....is..

It reminded me of my first time having sex. If that makes sense. I'm not necessarily saying it is like sex. I am saying, feeling the difference of masturbating and then experiencing sex for the first time....is how I felt with Vr in the sense that, the difference between normal gaming, and then Vr gaming, felt like that difference.

so thats the best way for me to describe it. the diffrence between normal gaming and VR gaming is like the difference between masturbation and sex. Obviously I'm still fresh to this, and as I become more of an avid user, that feeling might change, but so far, it's a blast.

Anyone on the fence, Seriously, give it a shot, this bundle pricing is incredible (and I got it with the Prime sale so it was even more incredible) and if you don't like it...Return it. You got nothing to lose and at the very least, have an experience to gain.

Izuna

Banned
What are the 2 games in the video?

The Climb and TITAN SLAYER VR

I was worried about letting them play the latter because it's dangerous lol. Dude almost ripped the cord and took the laptop with him.

so now, after a few days of experience with my Oculus.

1. Sweat is being less of a problem, but still occurs so, ordered the Vrcover. Check

2. After my very first session of Oculus, I didn't feel sick...but I had this urge to take a Shit. I didn't feel that urge at all until after first doing "First contact" in Oculus. Like...It was a huge urge and need to Shit.

3. Ever since that shit, which was solid...I've had diarrhea. Not the painful kind, just the kind where, it aint solid. Don't know if it's the rift or something I ate, but usually if it's something I ate, there is pain involved, and there is no pain with this.

4. I have been really tired. I slept alot more last night and took a nap today after a session as well.

5. my eyes have been feeling weird...they physically feel weird.

Now for the experience of it. The best way to describe, my first experience with the rift....is..

It reminded me of my first time having sex. If that makes sense. I'm not necessarily saying it is like sex. I am saying, feeling the difference of masturbating and then experiencing sex for the first time....is how I felt with Vr in the sense that, the difference between normal gaming, and then Vr gaming, felt like that difference.

so thats the best way for me to describe it. the diffrence between normal gaming and VR gaming is like the difference between masturbation and sex. Obviously I'm still fresh to this, and as I become more of an avid user, that feeling might change, but so far, it's a blast.

Anyone on the fence, Seriously, give it a shot, this bundle pricing is incredible (and I got it with the Prime sale so it was even more incredible) and if you don't like it...Return it. You got nothing to lose and at the very least, have an experience to gain.

lmao this entire post

If anyone else is my situation I just wanted to mention, my cpu is an intel Core i7 950, so it doesn't pass the Oculus Rift test (says it's not powerful enough and may cause bad performance) yet everything runs buttery smooth in every game I have tried so far (I do have a GTX 1080 though).
The minimum Oculus specs are lower if you have Windows 8 or 10, because of Asynchronous Spacewarp:

NVIDIA GTX 1050 Ti / AMD Radeon RX 470 or greater, or NVIDIA GTX 960 4GB / AMD Radeon R9 290 or greater
Intel i3-6100 / AMD FX4350 or greater
8GB+ RAM
Compatible HDMI 1.3 video output
1x USB 3.0 port, plus 2x USB 2.0 ports
Windows 8.1 or newer

jrcbandit

dont hate...thats me being so real.

Btw.....so in order to use Oculus with Steam, is it required to get a third sensor? Cause no matter what I do, I can't pass the stupid room set up test

Just set up SteamVR in standing mode. I couldn't get the room setup done because my play area is about the size of the minimum required and it just wouldn't register as large enough.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
dont hate...thats me being so real.

Btw.....so in order to use Oculus with Steam, is it required to get a third sensor? Cause no matter what I do, I can't pass the stupid room set up test

You can skip the room setup because Rift's Guardian outline will still show up even if you're playing a non-Oculus game. The games don't seem to mind that you have Steam set to standing mode.

Mine showed up at Best Buy today. Robo Recall is so gooooood. (Even without having a 360 tracking setup yet.)

It seems to work fine with my glasses (and I have fairly large frames) -- once I manage to get it on. Putting it on and taking it off is the hardest part.

Hexer06

Finally set it up and got to mess with it. SOOOO much fun. I actually played The Climb and Arizona Sunshine. The Climb didn't make me sick like I thought it would. Have no clue how I was able to play it without being bothered, lol. Arizona Sunshine seems like it'll be really fun. The headset definitely gets pretty hot. Also, I feel like I don't have my headset on right cuz the text seems blurry but on the top part of the screen, it looks clearer. I've tried messing with the straps and stuff more but can't find a sweet spot. I did the "triangle goes to the top of your neck and slide the headset down" thing. Just nothing seems to work right :/.

Just set up SteamVR in standing mode. I couldn't get the room setup done because my play area is about the size of the minimum required and it just wouldn't register as large enough.

You can skip the room setup because Rift's Guardian outline will still show up even if you're playing a non-Oculus game. The games don't seem to mind that you have Steam set to standing mode.

thanks, anyway to make the controls for steam VR to allow you to grab things with the thumb triggers instead of the index trigger?

Thumb trigger? How are you holding the touch controller?

I meant the grab button, which you use your middle finger.

its used in games like Climbey, but in other Steam games like "the Lab" or the Steam home, the index trigger is used to grab instead of the normal grab button on Rift. was wondering if theres a way to make it the normal grab button

c00l3ru

Having read through this thread it's nice to see so many happy new Rift users.
I've had mine for about 6 months now and honestly you've come in at the right time. I feel that there is a big shift in the quality of the games and with Lone Echo being released I feel that this is the killer app that was needed.
Hope you all have many more days if your mind being blown. The future is here.

StonedRider

Thursday evening my Rift have arrived (thanks Amazon and UPS, it was very fast).

Setup and installation went smooth, I managed to free some space 2.5 x 1.8 metres in my room. I ordered Inateck 4-port PCIe USB hub too, but my mobo has enough USB ports and everything worked from the first try.

Then I started First contact demo and was completely blown away with the experience! I like being immersed, I spent one hour in Adam apartments in Deus Ex MD just walking there and looking at things. But this is another level! I was standing there and smiling like a child, playing with virtual gadgets, throwing cans, looking on all this magic happening around me.

Then I tried Echo Arena and it was quite nauseous. Yes, flying, boosting, catching disk, turning, throwing was cool, but I think, I am not ready for this yet.

Then was Assetto Corsa. It was late already and I thought I will make one quick lap around Brands Hatch, but when I started I could not stop. I changed cars, I walked away from my chair to view this cars from aside, I stopped on the grass to greet marshals. But after an hour of driving I felt sick. I think, I should've not played Echo Arena before.

Next morning I felt myself quite strange. I was not very comfortable while driving, I did not feel dimensions of my car, my brain did not completely trust my eyes while walking as if I was in VR. But everything went to normal after breakfast :)

There was another problem - I could not adjust my Rift to sit on my head conveniently, I tighten side straps too heavy and has an Oculus face after the first ten minutes of playing. Then I've read I made typical mistake. I should have loosen top strap to slip triangle around the back part of my head and then tighten side straps just a little. It is very comfortable now.

I'm very happy I've purchased the Rift. The price is great, local stores sells Rifts without Touches for 700 euros here and 450 euros for Rift + Touches bundle is a must buy price for enthusiasts like me.

Also have a question. USB port continues to supply power when I turn my PC off and Rift seems to be working (on standby? the yellow light inside is on). Should I disconnect it from USB every time or is it ok? I do not want to constantly disconnect and connect it again, it can damage USB connector eventually.

Today I want to try Elite Dangerous in VR.

My experience with Elite Dangerous in VR was flying out of the rotating station, rushing to the nearest toilet and throwing up. Worst VR sickness I've ever had. Be careful if Lone Echo got you nauseous, I'd imagine Elite would be worse.

Ricitor

So Amazon UK screwed me on my order. I bought the Rift bundle and all was good. They sent my Touch Controllers despite making sure to note I wanted both items sent at the same time. Come yesterday, out of nowhere the system cancelled my Oculus order as for some reason it declined my card (the same one they charged my controllers on). After talking to support, since the deal is now over there is no way to recover the cancelled Rift at the same price.

They said the only thing I can do now is refund the controllers by returning them. Issue is that the shipping costs to send them back would actually cost more than what I paid. They will only cover £20 shipping which does little to help.

Got a Pre-order now on Amazon US but I am still stuck with an extra pair of controllers. Fuck...

MDave

Placed my order on the Oculus site last night, fingers crossed I get it a week or two from now? UK here, havn't seen other posts from UK people who got it from them yet? I noticed they don't have the xbox controller and remote now in the list of contents, when I was doing the checkout. No big deal as I already have the white Xbox one s controller which is way better.

ElyrionX

I got two sensors running on USB 2.0 but adding a third one to another USB 2.0 port results in it having poor connection quality. Unfortunately, my USB 3.0 is stated as being incompatible which makes no sense as its throughput is higher than the 2.0 ports that work. The Oculus website lists only one confirmed compatible PCI-E card which is not available in my country and Amazon does not ship that card to my country (Singapore) too.

With this issue and the teething issues I encountered setting the whole thing up (setup.exe crashing at startup and Xbox One adaptor not working), it's been a very long and tedious process just to get everything up and running.

PC gaming is always difficult but this takes it to a whole other level. It's ridiculous.

MDave

I got two sensors running on USB 2.0 but adding a third one to another USB 2.0 port results in it having poor connection quality. Unfortunately, my USB 3.0 is stated as being incompatible which makes no sense as its throughput is higher than the 2.0 ports that work. The Oculus website lists only one confirmed compatible PCI-E card which is not available in my country and Amazon does not ship that card to my country (Singapore) too.

With this issue and the teething issues I encountered setting the whole thing up (setup.exe crashing at startup and Xbox One adaptor not working), it's been a very long and tedious process just to get everything up and running.

PC gaming is always difficult but this takes it to a whole other level. It's ridiculous.
See if you can get updated drivers for your motherboard from its manufacturer website.

gypsie

Placed my order on the Oculus site last night, fingers crossed I get it a week or two from now? UK here, havn't seen other posts from UK people who got it from them yet? I noticed they don't have the xbox controller and remote now in the list of contents, when I was doing the checkout. No big deal as I already have the white Xbox one s controller which is way better.

I got mine from amazon about a week ago - it's due to be delivered today but I think the one I got DOES have the controller... well I hope it does anyway.

SO EXCITED OH MY GOD.

hoserx

Come on with this. Haha. What chipsset is your motherboard? Is it x79?

The Dude

Dying to play Obduction, been wanting to buy it since I'm a fan of Myst in general and this is an even better reason to finally dive in.

The Dude

Sounds like its your Pc perhaps , this was by far one of the more simpler setups. Just right down the line.

MDave

Shifty

Just ordered from Oculus UK. I've been on the fence waiting for Gen 2 but this deal is enough to make me bite.

Fingers crossed it ships quick, I've been glued to VR content on youtube for the past day now.

Oculus really dropped the ball with this USB 3.0 shit.

I also have my two sensors running on USB 2.0 simply because my USB 3.0 doesn't work with the sensors. I tried updating my mobo drivers, but that didn't work at all.

Now I need to buy an extra PCI-E card if I want room scale tracking. I shouldn't have to do that, especially for something as stupid as an "incompatible" USB port.

UrbanRats

I also have my two sensors running on USB 2.0 simply because my USB 3.0 doesn't work with the sensors. I tried updating my mobo drivers, but that didn't work at all.

Now I need to buy an extra PCI-E card if I want room scale tracking. I shouldn't have to do that, especially for something as stupid as an "incompatible" USB port.
Same, but i think ill just keep it as a non room scale experience until i either get a Vive 2 or a Rift 2, in case they finally decide to adopt lighthouse.

MazeHaze

Banned
Sounds like its your Pc perhaps , this was by far one of the more simpler setups. Just right down the line.
Can confirm this, set-up took me like 5 minutes.

I thought it was pretty common knowledge that Oculus wasn't compatible with certain USB controllers. Why wouldn't you run the Oculus compatibility checker before purchasing? It would have told you right off the bat that your USB 3.0 ports were incompatible.

Did you set out to check every single TMI category in a single post?

1. it's GAF, i mean, and also felt it would be a little comical.

2. Figured it would be useful information in regards to early adopters and wondering about getting sick or other possible side effects from VR.

whats up your ass?

Anyways,

So, something strange....I noticed that, my Sensor that is connected to 2 extensions, only show up as USB 2.0, even though the Sensor is connected to 3.0 extensions. I have it connected to this one.

But the one not connected to an extension is showing up as 3.0.

whats the deal with that? are those cables not legit or something

Crash331

Sounds like your hardware dropped the ball, not Oculus.

1. it's GAF, i mean

2. Figured it would be useful information in regards to early adopters and wondering about getting sick or other possible side effects from VR.

whats up your ass?

Anyways,

So, something strange....I noticed that, my Sensor that is connected to 2 extensions, only show up as USB 2.0, even though the Sensor is connected to 3.0 extensions. I have it connected to this one.

But the one not connected to an extension is showing up as 3.0.

whats the deal with that? are those cables not legit or something

AFAIK you need an "active" extension cable so I that the signal doesn't degrade over distance.

AFAIK you need an "active" extension cable so I that the signal doesn't degrade over distance.

I tried running the one connected to 2 of them to just 1, and it changed to 3.0. So I guess having it connected to 2 3.0 extensions really degrades it.

Hmmmm, how does one go longer, without degrading the quality to 2.0.

<edit> oh I see what you're saying, need to get one that says "Active," duh.

Sounds like your hardware dropped the ball, not Oculus.

lol no

My motherboard is a little old, but it works completely fine with everything these days except for the Oculus sensors. The development team made a choice to support only newer USB 3.0 ports on motherboards post 2014.

Vive doesn't need such a bullshit requirement, and It works just fine from a regular USB 2.0 as well.

Forcing me to spend an extra $30 and waste a PCI-E slot is totally on Oculus.

ElyrionX

Come on with this. Haha. What chipsset is your motherboard? Is it x79?

Its an Asus P8P67 Pro running a 2500K. It's old, yes. But it runs everything that I throw at it. And it's not a cheap mobo.

Curious what motherboard you have in case others run into the same problems.

If this page didn't help, turns out there are USB hubs that do work with the Rift.

Reddit posts here and here and here suggest these work:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B006TTA75Y/

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00E6GX4BG/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Thanks but USB hubs don't work since its a USB controller bandwidth issue. My USB 2.0 controler is already fully loaded and Oculus does not recognize my USB 3.0 controller.

Indeed.

ElyrionX

Can confirm this, set-up took me like 5 minutes.

I thought it was pretty common knowledge that Oculus wasn't compatible with certain USB controllers. Why wouldn't you run the Oculus compatibility checker before purchasing? It would have told you right off the bat that your USB 3.0 ports were incompatible.

I did. It says my USB ports were not compatible. But I read on the internet that USB 2.0 works just fine. And they do work for me too. But apparently they work fine only for two sensors and not if you add a third one.

Amneisac

So this is probably a stupid question, but how do you all hide the cable for your third sensor?

I'm assuming if it goes across the room you have to either run it across the floor or ceiling. Do you just run conduit on the ceiling or something? Just throw a rug over it?

So this is probably a stupid question, but how do you all hide the cable for your third sensor?

I'm assuming if it goes across the room you have to either run it across the floor or ceiling. Do you just run conduit on the ceiling or something? Just throw a rug over it?
I used a long extension cable to wrap around the room against the walls.

lol no

My motherboard is a little old, but it works completely fine with everything these days except for the Oculus sensors. The development team made a choice to support only newer USB 3.0 ports on motherboards post 2014.

Vive doesn't need such a bullshit requirement, and It works just fine from a regular USB 2.0 as well.

Forcing me to spend an extra $30 and waste a PCI-E slot is totally on Oculus.
Because Vive works totally different. The Oculus sensors are cameras that send the images to your computer; as such they need a lot of bandwidth. Vive only has to send the time each sensor on the headset and controller detected a laser from the lighthouses, which is an order of magnitude less bandwidth than even one image. It was an ingenious solution to motion detection.

As for the Oculus development team “choosing to only support newer ports”, they used the USB 3.0 standard exactly as written, unfortunately some USB controller manufacturers cut corners and didn’t stick to the standard, and other ones rushed to market before the standard was finalized. It’s not Oculus’ fault that those companies made bad controllers and your motherboard chose to use one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom