• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift (+ Oculus Touch) is $399 for limited time

Status
Not open for further replies.
lol no

My motherboard is a little old, but it works completely fine with everything these days except for the Oculus sensors. The development team made a choice to support only newer USB 3.0 ports on motherboards post 2014.

Vive doesn't need such a bullshit requirement, and It works just fine from a regular USB 2.0 as well.

Forcing me to spend an extra $30 and waste a PCI-E slot is totally on Oculus.

dude, the PCI-E slot I linked is only like 17 bucks

The Chef

My Best Buy order for the headset says "Get it by Mon, Jul 24."
But it still hasn't shipped. Still says "preparing" which it has said all week long.

I have a very strong feeling Im not going to get it Monday :(
Freakin Best Buy

Hexer06

Man I had so much fun with this last night. I was worried about getting dizzy but it never really happened. Until I played Echo Arena lol. I got through the tutorial and thought I was fine, but once I got in the lobby and started going fast and trying to get the disc I immediately had to stop lol. The Climb is really cool tho! I thought for sure I wouldn't be able to play it, but it didn't ever get me dizzy. Can't wait to play again! I have to order hdmi and USB extensions tho. My headset just barely reaches my play area. Also, I hit my wall and got some scratches on my right touch controller. I knew it would happen but kinda sad it was the first day. Lol

SmartBase

I could never justify paying the original price for a product focused on optics which uses shitty Fresnel lenses, but at 449€ I'm seriously considering biting. Just have to figure out if my Z97 mobo has enough USB 3s for the thing.

MDave

If I upgrade my Mini-ITX motherboard in the future, what's a good one to go for that doesn't have shitty corner cutting USB3 controllers?

ElyrionX

Just to be clear, it is only the HMD that needs to avoid direct sunlight? What if I have a sun shining into a room where the HMD is but the sunlight is not shining directly into the lenses?

So the sensors won't get damaged from exposure to direct sunlight right?

If I upgrade my Mini-ITX motherboard in the future, what's a good one to go for that doesn't have shitty corner cutting USB3 controllers?

arent the mobos that cut corners the ones that rushed to get usb 3.0 out early? pre-2014? I think all the modern/mobos are up to snuff right?

Krayz

I've only had my rift for 3 days...the touch controller rings are scuffed already from hitting the drywall lol, all from Echo Arena. Man I haven't had this much fun in a video game since I was a kid playing GTA SA.

terrible

Banned
Is it OK to skip the setup process and go right to Oculus Home so I can download some games before I get my Rift?

You can do the setup at any time so yeah, that's fine.

One thing I will suggest is to make sure you set the game install location correctly the first time you install the software. As far as I can tell there's no way to change it later.

The Chef

You can do the setup at any time so yeah, that's fine.

One thing I will suggest is to make sure you set the game install location correctly the first time you install the software. As far as I can tell there's no way to change it later.

I have my entire steam library on my secondary (non ssd) HD. Any problem with that?

vanfanel1car

Neo Member
From what I've heard Lone Echo is seriously top tier.
Also Robo Recall? Apparently its FREE with touch controllers. Speaking of which, how do we do that. Do we need to link the controllers to our account or something to get it free?

Oh also here is a reddit post for newbies with all the free games listed:
https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/6no4l1/freebies_for_noobies/

Yes, once you complete the touch setup process those free games will unlock. You may need to restart oculus home but they should show up in your uninstalled library.

Gnub

Is it OK to skip the setup process and go right to Oculus Home so I can download some games before I get my Rift?
You can rerun the setup and i think the software will start the setup when it detects new hardware. I hadsetup my rift and skipped the touch controllers and the setup launched when i connected the second sensor.

The Chef

Rockin thanks!

Hey, so how is Eve Valkarie?
I had a download code for it but if its just "meh" then maybe i'll try and sell the code for a couple bucks and get something else.

terrible

Banned
I have my entire steam library on my secondary (non ssd) HD. Any problem with that?

Steam stuff is separate, nothing to worry about there I don't think. It's just an Oculus store thing that I was talking about. Unlike Steam it doesn't appear as though the games you download with the Oculus software can be moved from whatever location you selected when you first installed the Oculus software. If I'm wrong hopefully someone corrects me, I just couldn't find a way to move games when I looked earlier.

Soi-Fong

BUY LONE ECHO!!!!

Got damn... The interactions in Lone Echo are just soooo fucking amazing. All the tools that you have, the way you activate them, the way they're utilized in the game is just something else...

Haven't finished it yet as I'm trying to savor every moment and just explored as much as possible, but damn.. I want Oculus to give as much money to RAD to secure a sequel for this game.

This game is literally what VR is about and all the promises that you heard. All the interactions in the game take full advantage of what VR has to offer and multiplies it in spades to give the user an experience I've honestly never gotten from any VR game. Closest would have to be Rock Band VR really for me.

It's crazy to me as well that in my opinion, Oculus achieved what they set out to do with hand-presence with this game. When playing, I really do feel like I am Jack and that floating body is ME.

I REALLY RECOMMEND that anyone on the fence get Lone Echo. It almost seems like a sin to me to get this game during a sale. RAD deserves as many sales as possible with this game as it's a major step forward for VR games.

My only regret so far is that I'm not able to SS this game as I have a 980 Ti, but shit this game is pushing me to upgrade to a 1080 Ti. lol

robotrock

Banned
BUY LONE ECHO!!!l

I bought this because I thought the locomotion stuff in Echo Arena was incredible, but I'm about half an hour into the Lone Echo single player and I'm not so sure how much I dig it. The locomotion stuff is still awesome as well as the atmosphere but it's kind of boring?

Only like 30 minutes in, just hoping it gets better.

My Amazon order on the Rift has been updated to July 28th instead of it previously saying July 26th-August 2nd. The Touch is still scheduled to come that date though so ah well. Might just keep the touch in the box while I try out the Rift so worse case scenario I'm not hit with two return fees.

Got my tracking numbers. Mine should be here Wednesday.

Says mine has 2 packages though.. so I'm guessing I'm getting the Oculus headset package and the touch controllers separately and not the new bundle with everything together, right?

Anyway.. excited. Got the room and PC all set up and ready to go.

Catphish

I bought this because I thought the locomotion stuff in Echo Arena was incredible, but I'm about half an hour into the Lone Echo single player and I'm not so sure how much I dig it. The locomotion stuff is still awesome as well as the atmosphere but it's kind of boring?

Only like 30 minutes in, just hoping it gets better.
See how you feel after your first spacewalk.

Fracas

#fuckonami
My Amazon order on the Rift has been updated to July 28th instead of it previously saying July 26th-August 2nd. The Touch is still scheduled to come that date though so ah well. Might just keep the touch in the box while I try out the Rift so worse case scenario I'm not hit with two return fees.

Same date here, though my touch controllers look like they'll be a couple days later.

Can anyone suggest some good rift games that don't require touch for while I'm waiting? I'll be messing around with Project CARS for sure.

Same date here, though my touch controllers look like they'll be a couple days later.

Can anyone suggest some good rift games that don't require touch for while I'm waiting? I'll be messing around with Project CARS for sure.

that sucks cause Ive only played with touch controllers. I cant imagine playing without them since starting with them. they are so good. especially when you first start using rift with its intro game first contact. I'd go as far to suggest waiting for the touch controllers before trying it so you get the best experience.

robotrock

Banned
that sucks cause Ive only played with touch controllers. I cant imagine playing without them since starting with them. they are so good. especially when you first start using rift with its intro game first contact. I'd go as far to auggest waiting for the touch controllers before trying it so you get the best experience.
Yeah man imagine buying an Oculus when it came out at launch last year and waiting 9 months for the touch controllers

Mobius 1

Ah. YOLO and all that rubbish. Best Buy had them in stock and I'm out to go pick it up. I already have Asseto Corsa and Elite Dangerous, so expectations are high.

Soi-Fong

Ah. YOLO and all that rubbish. Best Buy had them in stock and I'm out to go pick it up. I already have Asseto Corsa and Elite Dangerous, so expectations are high.

Don't forget to get Robo Recall and Lone Echo! There's many games that you really can't go wrong with.

Yaska

Its an Asus P8P67 Pro running a 2500K. It's old, yes. But it runs everything that I throw at it. And it's not a cheap mobo.

Thanks but USB hubs don't work since its a USB controller bandwidth issue. My USB 2.0 controler is already fully loaded and Oculus does not recognize my USB 3.0 controller.

Indeed.

P8P67 Pro needs a registry/file tweak to make it work with Oculus. Running that same board with onboard USB 3.0 just fine. https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/55l3h9/having_usb_30_incompatible_port_issues_try_this/ check here for the fix.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder

that sucks cause Ive only played with touch controllers. I cant imagine playing without them since starting with them. they are so good. especially when you first start using rift with its intro game first contact. I'd go as far to suggest waiting for the touch controllers before trying it so you get the best experience.

While I agree with the idea that I wouldn't buy a Rift without Touch controllers, there are still worthwhile things to do and see with an Xbox One controller. The videos/shorts/whatever in the Oculus store don't need any input beyond looking around. Lucky's Tale and the Mountain Goat game on the store aren't great but they're still pretty fun to try out. Project Cars, Dirt Rally, Eve and I assume Elite Dangerous aren't enhanced at all with a touch controller, though the optimal would be wheel or hotas for those games.

Plus "OH MY GOD I HAVE HANDS" is a better feeling than "OH MY GOD WHERE DID MY HANDS GO"

LOLCats

Banned
Is the USB extension cable in the box really usb 2.0? lol...

Anyway ya im running an older asus mobo, fortunately there are a couple USB 3.0 controllers so atleast half my usb 3.0 ports work.

Soi-Fong

Is the USB extension cable in the box really usb 2.0? lol...

Anyway ya im running an older asus mobo, fortunately there are a couple USB 3.0 controllers so atleast half my usb 3.0 ports work.

The 3rd sensor doesn't have to go through USB 3.0 like the rest so they just give you a 2.0 extension cord.

Personally for me, I'm using 3 sensors w/ 2 of the sensors connected to USB 3.0 with one of them using an extension.

The 3rd sensor, I have connected to USB 2.0 w/ a 3.0 extension cord and everything has been tip top shape for me in my setup.

Just wish I had more room. Haha don't know how many times I've hit my desk and chair now.

Izuna

Banned
Would a different 3.0 extender solve my issue?

I used to be able to get 3.0 on everything (2 sensors and Headset) but now the Sensors on their own will report 3.0, but the moment I plug in the headset via 2.0 or 3.0 the sensors will have issues (like literally disconnecting every 5 seconds).

So I just found out about "active" USB cables. I'm wondering if this would solve my issue.

While I agree with the idea that I wouldn't buy a Rift without Touch controllers, there are still worthwhile things to do and see with an Xbox One controller. The videos/shorts/whatever in the Oculus store don't need any input beyond looking around. Lucky's Tale and the Mountain Goat game on the store aren't great but they're still pretty fun to try out. Project Cars, Dirt Rally, Eve and I assume Elite Dangerous aren't enhanced at all with a touch controller, though the optimal would be wheel or hotas for those games.

Plus "OH MY GOD I HAVE HANDS" is a better feeling than "OH MY GOD WHERE DID MY HANDS GO"

just tried a few things with the xbox controller....meh...

glad I started with the touch controllers...I might have perceived VR differently. Of course thats coming off of only using touch controllers from the start, so my reaction might have been different if I started with the controller....but Idk....seems so lackluster.

LOLCats

Banned
The 3rd sensor doesn't have to go through USB 3.0 like the rest so they just give you a 2.0 extension cord.

Personally for me, I'm using 3 sensors w/ 2 of the sensors connected to USB 3.0 with one of them using an extension.

The 3rd sensor, I have connected to USB 2.0 w/ a 3.0 extension cord and everything has been tip top shape for me in my setup.

Just wish I had more room. Haha don't know how many times I've hit my desk and chair now.

Yes actually all three sensors worked for me in usb 2.0 mode. I used the included usb extender to go to this little usb3 hub and it registered as usb2. Three sensors worked fine in usb2 mode last night. I just swapped out the cable today, now and it put 2x sensor in usb3 and the third in usb2 modes.

I was just surprised to find that crappy cable included in the box.

Ya i have a space issue due to the way my office and PC is set up. I couldnt do echo arena, i felt id damage one of the 4 desk monitors.

Dave_6

Does anyone know if their are problems with ASUS motherboards and the Oculus Rift. Specifically, the ASUS Maximus IX Hero?

Same mobo here, no issues at all with any of it (Touch with two sensors).

Will say I need to move one sensor behind me. They are both on my desk and if I turn around during Robo Recall it does block one or both controllers sometimes.

LOLCats

Banned
Does anyone know if their are problems with ASUS motherboards and the Oculus Rift. Specifically, the ASUS Maximus IX Hero?

It would be problems with specific usb chipsets. Half my asus mobo usb ports dont work. I think it has to do with power? Anyway, check if your board has an intel usb controller also and try those ports.

Use the blue ports on your board. That asmedia controller for the usb 2 might not work.

Make sure your intel usb drivers are up to date.

https://www.asus.com/us/support/Download/1/50/8/8/KKuAp9d2jGnDWqzC/30/

Izuna

Banned
My journey to solving my USB 3.0 problems

Use USBlyzer http://www.usblyzer.com/ to check and see if how much bandwidth your devices are able to use.

http://imgur.com/a/O3sKS <--- what you can see here, is that I was limited to 480Mbit (2.0 speeds) on all supposed 3.0 ports.

If you have the Intel(R)_USB_3.0_eXtensible_Host_Controller use this guide: http://plugable.com/2012/12/01/windows-8-and-intel-usb-3-0-host-controllers -- you will need to get the driver from the Intel website and modify the .inf yourself by

delete lines with NTAMD.64.6.2 and change NTAMD64.6.1 to NTAMD64.10.0

:p

Playing with 2 sensors is pretty underwhelming. ... and all sensors are sold out. :/

I think I see their strategy here. Nope, not falling for it.

Horrible idea. You're not trying out th rift if you leave the touch controllers packed up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom